Code of Conduct

Default Just hit Saks 5th - very surprised by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

I tried back to black - yes I get why people like it. Success is a job in NY - yup, good stuff. allure homme sport (finally) - yup I understand its popularity. Encre Noir - yup. Then I tried Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and I was very surprised. I thought it was one of the cheapest smelling fragrances, actually no the cheapest smelling most synthetic fragrances I had ever tried. It's not anywhere in the universe of stuff like Malle Brigadare Concentree or Creed Neroli Sauvage, and not even in the universe of designer stuff, or even $15 stuff from bath and body works. Neroli Portofino smells like something you would purchase in giant 16 oz containers from a cheap drugstore. I'm talking about Dana level stuff. Just being honest. I absolutely do not understand this and I would be very surprised if TF was using top quality ingredients in this thing.
    Last edited by Cerel9; 4th July 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: Just hit Saks 5th - very surprised by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

I second that....totally unimpressed with most of TF’s lines.

Azure Lime smell very cheap and synthetic, but i never tried Neroli Portofino.
    The others seems very nice stuff

To me it's a light cologne style scent that has some longevity. I'm not too big on colognes, so haven't purchased it.

Might be okay on a very hot day. Didn't think it smelled cheap...just light colognish.

Yeah I don't mean to bash, but I thought it was that bad. Cheap is the only way I can describe it.

Back to Black is hypnotizing me though. This is in the "musc ravageur" family of mature and sophisticated gourmands, and might be an equal. I don't want to buy another bottle as I have way more than I can use as it is, but this is definitely good stuff.

That kind of scent (NP) is usually found in much less expensive colognes, which is probably part of what evokes the "cheap" sense of it you have. I'm not a big light cologne fan either so I understand.

Yes, Back to Black is pretty awesome. It's dead to me because my mom wears it. That's not a knock on the scent as too feminine - I had sent her a sampler kit with a lot of stuff and she loved that the most, so I got it for her for Christmas. I'd wear it, but it would seem odd for me.

lol your mom wears back to black as her sig scent? that's a pretty cool mom.

Agree with this thread. As I put in my Basenotes review, it smells like when you get you carpet or car seats shampooed. Cheap, hideous and disgusting.

4711 is extremely similar to me except NP is less herbal and lasts longer. I basically agree with you guys - I like it but maybe not for the price.

I also tried Neroli Portofino recently... walked away severely unimpressed.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread - AGAIN
    I still need a Creed Original Vetiver 120ml cap...

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    Ha. Indeed. She lives with my sister in Chicago and doesn't get out much, but damn she smells good.

The price of it kind of freaked out the inlaws. Wait till they see my wardrobe.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th July 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    That kind of scent (NP) is usually found in much less expensive colognes, which is probably part of what evokes the "cheap" sense of it you have. I'm not a big light cologne fan either so I understand.
    This is extremely accurate, cologne is usually more inexpensive and there are far more variations on the theme than say high quality gourmand orientals. So typically a niche fresh scent is often dismissed because of the association of 'cheap' because most inexpensive scents are more fresh as opposed to heavier because most people want to smell...well fresh.
    I lobe neroli and like the typical cologne style yet, it's very difficult to find a quality long lasting or and Neroli Portofino hits home for me at least.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I have yet to smell this, but that's a bummer... With as much as I like Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather and Italian Cypress...I was hoping most of the rest of the line was decent too. Can't win 'em all I guess.

I have tried Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille and out of those the only one I really like is Tobacco Vanille. TV is definitely FBW!

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I have yet to smell this, but that's a bummer... With as much as I like Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather and Italian Cypress...I was hoping most of the rest of the line was decent too. Can't win 'em all I guess.
    It's actually pretty good Taint, but as mentioned above, it's a kind of light citrus neroli scent that is very unlike the three you mention. Some of us (yours truly included) prefer more dramatic scents.

If you like that kind of light cologne smell, Neroli Portofino has more legs than most of them. The TF rep buried me in samples.

I had a lot of resistance to Ford, but they are quite good.

I find the scent of Neroli uplifting. Tom Ford does Neroli well, as I find this with all of his offerings.
    I am not impressed by any other Neroli scents in this category.

It's actually pretty good Taint, but as mentioned above, it's a kind of light citrus neroli scent that is very unlike the three you mention. Some of us (yours truly included) prefer more dramatic scents.

If you like that kind of light cologne smell, Neroli Portofino has more legs than most of them. The TF rep buried me in samples.

I had a lot of resistance to Ford, but they are quite good.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll get around to trying it sometime. I'm going to start purchasing in that line soon..I don't mind a lighter scent for certain occasions, but I think I've already got that covered. I'm really focusing on buying more "dramatic" scents as you put it. I agree with you, there's something about having a kick to a fragrance..

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    I second that....totally unimpressed with most of TF’s lines.
    You're not alone.

ive smelled this too. absolutely hated it

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    ive smelled this too. absolutely hated it
    Johnny! Where ya been? Haven't seen a post in awhile!

Johnny! Where ya been? Haven't seen a post in awhile!
    ive been posting little by little lately. School is still in session (summer classes) so I cant take my foot off the pedal just yet

I tried it. It's unfortunate that the whole neroli to orange flower axis (like lavender, mint and verbena, to an extent) is so popular in household and similar products. I think quite often when confronted with these scents in perfumery the mind makes that 'this is familiar . . . I know - the stuff Mum used to clean the house / air the linen / do the dishes with' connection, which more often than not is a serious strike against the perfume in hand, especially if the person smelling it is not that experienced.

It probably also doesn't help that quite often the companies (Givaudan, Ferminich, IFF, Symrise etc.) who provide a lot of the ingredients, (if not the actual whole composition), for said perfumes are also in the business of providing scented ingredients for flavouring, air fresheners and a host of household items as well, so who is to know if some of the same captive molecules or patented bases turn up in different places at different ends of the price scale?

I find the Tom Ford line very commercial and it's clear that he has a lot of fans here (I'm not one) so my take on Neroli Portofino is that it's another 'popular' one from the line-up, thoughtfully expanded to include shower gel etc., but it will always be potentially damned amongst part of the population because of the scent association thing mentioned above. It's not unusual - a lot of people here can't get past the 'Toothpaste' association for scents where mint is a component, or 'Pledge' for anything with a lemon/verbena accord.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I find the scent of Neroli uplifting. Tom Ford does Neroli well, as I find this with all of his offerings.
    I am not impressed by any other Neroli scents in this category.
    I agree.

It's an excellent fragrance - an eau de cologne style scent with great longevity. Glad it is in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    Really!

I love Neroli Sauvage. I thought that Neroli Portofino wasn't bad - just not worth the money.

Yeah, I understand the thing about not wearing Mom's fragrance. Fortunately, in my case that would be White Shoulders. Ain't no chance on that one!

The Tom ford Neroli and Lime are made with some quite poor and obvious ingredients. They are also lazilly composed. It is as if somebody "knocked up" a lime and neroli for the line in a couple of hours.
    I quite like a couple of the TFs but I was shocked by these..
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.

It's an excellent fragrance - an eau de cologne style scent with great longevity. Glad it is in my wardrobe.
    Yes for sure, but is it worth the price of admission? Best case I'm trying to purchase the 250ml which is up toward $2 per ml (and then I have the hassle of trying to split it because 250ml is too much). Going to a more convenient retail spray takes me to $3 per ml or higher. Is it really worth that much?

I could not disagree more with the OP. Neroli Portofino took me multiple visits to fully understand its place on my shelf. It is now one of my favorite summer AM fragrances I have. I will agree that it is somewhat unfortunate that this style has been abused in common household products which inevitably can evoke a quick thought of 'cheap' or 'common', but if you spend time to experience the product thoroughly there is no mistaking the craftsmanship and thought that went into this. It's not heavy, it's not pretentious; it says summer is here.

As all fragrances are heavily subjective, I appreciate that some may not enjoy this but I urge you to avoid dismissing it so quickly.

Top summer scent and top release of 2011. Doesn't get any better.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    Top summer scent and top release of 2011. Doesn't get any better.
    Seconded

I will not bash Tom Ford because most of his scents in the Private Line are nice, but I do not think they are worth the price.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel