Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default If you had to describe the Saffron note what would you say?.....also.......

is it usually interpreted as feminine?
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: If you had to describe the Saffron note what would you say?.....also.......

Feminine? No, definitely not.

I have a small container of saffron under my nose. It is hard to find descriptors. I'm going to say it's a smell with rounded edges. Almost smokey, and almost bitter, but not really either. A bit spicy and floral in a muted sort of way.

I love the smell and taste of real saffron, but I don't seem to like many fragrances that contain it, with the exception of C&S Dark Rose. Maybe it's that saffron is commonly combined with vanilla in perfumes, and the combination is too cloying for me. But saffron alone is not sweet or cloying.

Here is an earlier discussion thread about saffron:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/255...ron-smell-like

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: If you had to describe the Saffron note what would you say?.....also.......

No, not feminine smelling.

To me it smells too much like food, flavored with saffron, to enjoy. The taste/smell of saffron reminds me of tomato sauce and a slight whiff of paprika or pimiento. If it is prominent in a scent, most likely I will not like the scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It would smell like a Persian holiday feast.

How can a spice be feminine. I eat it, we all eat it lol.

Its saffron. Let a few strands sit in hot water then have a sip and a sniff. You'll know exactly what it tastes and smells like.

Interestingly, saffron is the main note in Etat libre d'orange Tom of Finland ...

cacio

I can't describe it. To me it smells very masculine. Clive Chrisrians "c" for men has it in high doses.

There is saffron in Tuscan Leather also.
    I detected it before I was learned about perfumes about 4 years ago.

Also please note that Spanish saffron is different than Iranian saffron.
    I cant really describe the differences as they are both saffron in the end.

Saffron harvesting is a magical experience I'd like to partake in one day.

earthy, gourmand, leathery with a bit of sparkle on top.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No, not feminine smelling.

To me it smells too much like food, flavored with saffron, to enjoy. The taste/smell of saffron reminds me of tomato sauce and a slight whiff of paprika or pimiento. If it is prominent in a scent, most likely I will not like the scent.
    great description
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Saffron smells floral and piquant in sharp pitched way and the core of the spice smells kind of bitter almost tangy. By itself, saffron doesn't smell inviting at all. The saffron attars that I have show saffron mixed with a gentle sandalwood oil and they are very hard to warm up to, quite exotic in smell - I don't recommend them. Saffron smells out on the edge and a bit dangerous almost reckless. BUT, put saffron next to something round, warm and very safe like rose, berries, amber or leather and it adds a perfect contrasting introductory note. Saffron works in a similar way like pepper in a fragrance to startle and open the nose to accept a soft note that will immediately follow it. It introduces warm and rich notes with a flurry, making them feel all the more inviting.

When I was a kid I will never forget a fellow playmate who had a habit of running into the brick wall to test the boundaries of bone and brick. I asked him why he was doing this and he said "it feels so good when I stop!" This is my take on the role that saffron plays to introduce rose and other softer notes in many fragrances. It is an attention getter that transitions well to other things.

*LOL* So, eating saffron makes you invariably feminine or what?
    Anyway, I found Idole, Lubin to be very saffron prominent. It does not work for me, neither do all too obviously foody notes.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your input. One big reason I ask is because Sultan Safran caught my eye and wondered if something with saffron in its title could be worth the money.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Saffron smells floral and piquant in sharp pitched way and the core of the spice smells kind of bitter almost tangy. By itself, saffron doesn't smell inviting at all. The saffron attars that I have show saffron mixed with a gentle sandalwood oil and they are very hard to warm up to, quite exotic in smell - I don't recommend them. Saffron smells out on the edge and a bit dangerous almost reckless. BUT, put saffron next to something round, warm and very safe like rose, berries, amber or leather and it adds a perfect contrasting introductory note. Saffron works in a similar way like pepper in a fragrance to startle and open the nose to accept a soft note that will immediately follow it. It introduces warm and rich notes with a flurry, making them feel all the more inviting.

When I was a kid I will never forget a fellow playmate who had a habit of running into the brick wall to test the boundaries of bone and brick. I asked him why he was doing this and he said "it feels so good when I stop!" This is my take on the role that saffron plays to introduce rose and other softer notes in many fragrances. It is an attention getter that transitions well to other things.
    I like how you broke that down. I've long said that often, fragrances need a pungeant note or two to kinda balance out other softer, sweeter notes so it's not so predictable or boring. I thought of both Divine L'homme Sage and By Kilian Back to Black when reading your comment, as they both have saffron, are both sweet, but are accompanied by some of the notes you listed (Back to black contains raspberry, as you mentioned berries, and Sage contains amber).