Code of Conduct

Default Classiest and refined 'Barbershop' fragrances?

Greetings Basenoters,

SylinLA got me thinking about barbershop scents after reading about Antico Caruso. I do love Rive Gauche and would like to try some top end scents of this nature. Antico Caruso certainly looks like I need to sample.

Could some of you please give your thoughts on the classiest, richest and refined barber frags? Something that could be worn with a suit- something that oozes class?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Koala.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Classiest and refined 'Barbershop' fragrances?

depends on the barbershop :P

Here's a good thread to read:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/267...-Guide-book%29.

Tabac Original does an amazing job channeling the past.

Douro by Penhaligons.

MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Versace Black Jeans

Azzaro PH.

Well obviously Antico Caruso has a European "barbershop" vibe.

Koala, I know nothing of the barbering traditions down under. I know that in North America, Pinaud Clubman and Brut are two infamous barber type scents.

I would suggest several of the Penhaligons:

Sartorial, English Fern and Racquets and Duro as noted by hedonist above. Racquets the most barbershoppy to me.

Certainly, Rive Gauche

Oddly, Luca Turin considers Le Male to be somewhat barbershop. Perhaps if worn in moderation?

Have only done brief test of Invasion Barbare, but it it is very clean I gather and has a following.

To me Sartorial oozes the most class. I wear that with a suit. But to me, the classier a scent oozes, the further it kind of gets away from "barbershop" imo. i.e. The barbershop style scents of my youth and knowledge are classic and good, but not elegant per se.

Truefitt & Hill Grafton (very green, herbal, Irish Spring vibe) It puts me right into the barber chair.

As well, Boucheron Pour Homme has always struck me as a barbershop frag. It's got that great lemon scent to it. Very classy. Always feels like I have just left the barbershop when I wear this one.
    Last edited by Riley; 5th July 2011 at 05:37 AM.

+1 Antico Caruso

To me 1725 from Histoires de Parfums might also qualify.

Caron's Third Man is a great candidate, along with 1725. I'd recommend Canoe if the ingredients were better.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

I always think of Rive Gauche PH when I think of barbershop scents.

The Baron
    Pour Un Homme
    Sartorial
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Eucris and Sartorial are among my favourite in this genre being the former a super classic composition from 1912 and the latter a modern revisitation of the barbershop "theme".

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Maybe not the most refined barbershop fragrance but my current favourite is Royal Copenhagen.

I just love all that powder!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    ..to me, the classier a scent oozes, the further it kind of gets away from "barbershop" imo. i.e. The barbershop style scents of my youth and knowledge are classic and good, but not elegant per se.
    Excellent point. Perhaps what we're really after is the 'fuss-free yet immaculately-groomed' vibe.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

May not be classy, but Fred Hayman's Touch for Men is Brut in a tuxedo.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Another one for Rive Gauche, I just wish they did a lime version of it.

Great suggestions guys. I'm going hunting now. Satorial looks good and if only Antico Caruso was cheaper!!!

I appreciate your time replying to this!!!

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Another one for Rive Gauche, I just wish they did a lime version of it.
    You know what? I like the sound of that.

Azzaro PH

Absolutely,

Rive gauche
    Azzaro PH
    T & H Grafton
    Italian Cypress

Paco Rabanne PH

Loewe para Hombre

+1 for Rive Gauche
    +1 for 1725
    I can already hear the uproar, but I think Kouros is barber shop-y. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION, FOLKS.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    +1 for Rive Gauche
    +1 for 1725
    I can already hear the uproar, but I think Kouros is barber shop-y. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION, FOLKS.
    Well, there is something about Kouros that evokes a barbershop for you. It isn't an absolute term at all. In fact, it's probably very reliant on the barbershops you went to or go to. Antico Caruso I love, and it's supposed to be barbershop, but growing up in Detroit, I never smelled anything at a barber like that. I'm guessing European or Italian barbers use more more almond based shaving creams and talcs.

For me, Pinaud Clubman talc was always dusted on my neck after a haircut.

Basenotes Institution

I can't believe noone's recommended Habit Rouge by Guerlain. The classiest barbershop fragrance I know. That is, the vintage Eau de Cologne formula.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Bois du Portugal, at least to me

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well, there is something about Kouros that evokes a barbershop for you. It isn't an absolute term at all. In fact, it's probably very reliant on the barbershops you went to or go to. Antico Caruso I love, and it's supposed to be barbershop, but growing up in Detroit, I never smelled anything at a barber like that. I'm guessing European or Italian barbers use more more almond based shaving creams and talcs.

For me, Pinaud Clubman talc was always dusted on my neck after a haircut.
    Thanks!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Penhaligon's Sartorial and YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Then there are plenty of other powerhouse fougeres from the 70s and 80s but very few are classy (Azzaro PH: vulgar, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme: ashtray vibe ).

Dunhill Persuit ?
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Prada Amber

+1 to Caron Pour un Homme
    + 1 to Paco Rabanne PH

Eau Sauvage Dior

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Bois 1920's Vetiver Ambrato: Niche Old Spice with a hint of vetiver. Amazing longevity. My favourite barbershop frag at the moment. I cant sing its praises enough.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Definitely Rive Gauche, Sartorial, Azzaro PH. A whopping splash of any traditional EDC would probably count as barbershop...

Creed Baie de Genievre

Rive Gauche PH & Azzaro PH

I sometimes have a wet shave at my local turkish barbers and the toner they apply smells very much like Tom Ford Neroli.
    I would also include Creed original vetiver.

Rive Gauche PH followed by Sartorial

Central Park by Bond no 9
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Domenico Caraceni PH lightly applied...

Creed Vetiver '48. Quite barbershop.

I am very much in agreement with the scents listed above, especially the amazing Tabac Original EdC. It is fine, fine stuff.

Of course I love Penhaligon's for the barbershop qualities. English Fern and Sartorial - so beautiful.

Aqua Velva and Old Spice - more like "home barbershop." Great bang for the buck.

Rive Gauche - I've always been a fan of that Barbasol smell. Rive Gauche is Barbasol on steroids. Love it.

Would anyone add Centaure by MPG to this thread? Lavender, mint and a touch of tobacco in the base?

Azzaro PH, to me it's a class

You might wanna try Paco Rabanne PH, although I find it a bit rougher

Azzaro ph

I would also venture to add Aramis Tuscany and Ralph Lauren Safari to this list.

Another vote for Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    +1.

i think canoe and caswell massey would be the type of barbershop for me. i'm not american but a lot of american goods were available in my country. i think they are classy enough for an understated dude. what scent smells closest to mennen skin bracer coz that's what i think of when i think barbershop.

grafton is a nice herbal scent. probably the only one iv tried from the list above including rive gauche.. need to buy some rive. it doesnt quite smell barbershoppy to me but i have been shaving with barbasol lately, maybe i'll get it this time.

Kilian - Prelude to Love

Façonnable is a really nice "BarberShop" scent def
    If it don't make no Money..It don't make no Scents.haha
    Whats poppin BaseNoters??Hello

Rive Gauche definitely is in the category, but it's got just a bit too much spiciness, cloves or something for me. Penhaligon's stuff is all pretty good, but not 100% barbershop.

The most barbershop, thick shaving cream, warm soap smelling that I have tried is Truefitt & Hill's Grafton. This stuff is great, however it is only in cologne strength. I would love to have it in a stronger concentration. While you are at it, T & H also have some other amazing scents that I love. Sandalwood..... doesn't smell like sandalwood, but it's awesome. Just a great barbershop-eque masculine scent. Spanish Leather...... slightly somewhat like Michael Kors maybe, but without whatever is in the Kors that makes me sick to my stomach.

To me, 1725 is similar to, but superior to Antico Caruso. 1725 has more depth and complexity (whereas Profumum tends to rely on the quality of just a handful of notes).

I prefer Invasion Barbare to 1725 (as it is less powdery), but also wear and really enjoy Sartorial (wonderful beeswax and linden along with the fougère backbone).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Additional recommendations: most scents, as well as the adjacent grooming/body care ranges, by Geo F. Trumper come quite close to the stylish, elitist barbershop feel

It is somehow complicated. If by "Barbershop" you mean aromatic fougeres, the list includes Canoe, Pinaud's Clubman, Avon's Wild Country and YSL's Rive Gauche. I would include Brut, but this one has mint in the top notes, so it is, somehow, a different kind of scent. Still, all these share the same structure, albeit their quality differs markedly (I enjoy all of them, though). Azzaro as well as Paco Rabanne are classified as aromatic fougeres, but they do not have anything to do with the ones mentioned.

If by the term you mean "talcum powder" notes, British Sterling, Royal Copenhagen, Fragonard's Zizanie and Guerlain's Habit Rouge have marked powdery notes. Again, quality differs: if you are an old-fashioned man disliking the idea of sillage and longevity, you will find British Sterling and Zizanie to your tastes, strong top notes morphing into discrete mid and base notes without longevity; if looking for complexity, don't think it twice, Habit Rouge is the one to choose. Others of the kind mentioned as powdery which I did not have the chance of trying are Casswell Massey's Jockey Club and Prada (look at Stew's suggestion). JPG's Le Male is classified as such, but IMHO, it is two strong to be classified as classy and refined.

Now, the term could be understood as manly / conservative scents. Those coming to mind are Pierre Cardin pour Homme and Guerlain's Heritage. As per reviews made by Base Noters, Creed's Bois du Portugal and De Nicolai's New York are described as somehow analogous to the ones I either own or tried. Of course, in terms of quality, Cardin's falls short compared to Heritage.

And, finally, if looking for flowery and powdery scents, The Baron and Caron's Le Troisiemme Homme are good examples of this approach. Caron's Pour Un Homme revolves around lavender, so it can be classified as classy too.

Now, when talking about "refined"... as far as my experience goes, a simple EdC fits the bill provided you are dressed as old moneyed men do, no scent will catch up to that - well to be frank, I am intrigued as to Mouchoir de Monsieur, I have not tried it so I can mention it but my instinct tells me it could be this kind of scent. Besides the fact that all the scents made by Annick Goutal I had the chance of trying and wearing convey the feeling that she succeeded at blending the most refined scents I happened to know, even the ones that are classified as bold.
    Last edited by Pollux; 27th July 2011 at 12:14 AM.

Invasion Barbare - like a new age man's Azzaro pH and Paco Rabanne pH!

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    You must have some very classy, refined barbershops in Beantown. BdG is one of my favorites, but no barbershop I recall from my upbringing in the poor rural south smelled like it.

Barbershops in my experience were not classy or refined. Barbershops from my memory smelled of a combination of Clubman, lemon shave cream (Barbersol?), cigars, and Old Charter bourbon. Yes, the old men playing dominos in the back room smoked cigars and drank whiskey. So for me, C&S Cuba is one that evokes the ancient memories of barbershops.

Quote Originally Posted by dukecity View Post
    ...but no barbershop I recall from my upbringing in the poor rural south smelled like it.

Barbershops in my experience were not classy or refined. Barbershops from my memory smelled of a combination of Clubman, lemon shave cream (Barbersol?), cigars, and Old Charter bourbon. Yes, the old men playing dominos in the back room smoked cigars and drank whiskey. So for me, C&S Cuba is one that evokes the ancient memories of barbershops.
    Excellent post!!! Thumbs up!!!