Code of Conduct

Default 1ST Bottle Purchase of Bond No. 9!!! Any Recomendations???

I'm planning on purchasing my first bottle of Bond No. 9 soon. I'm leaning towards purchasing a 3.3oz of New Haarlem but I would like to hear what other people have for suggestions.

Default Re: 1ST Bottle Purchase of Bond No. 9!!! Any Recomendations???

depends what you are type fragrance you are looking for. If its a gourmand New Haarlem is a great choice. I love Riverside drive and Wall street.
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

I've sampled a handful Bond No. 9 samples consisting of the most popular fragrances from the house. The only one that I felt was even close to being worth the cost was New Haarlem. Their fragrances aren't BAD by any means, but just feel uninspired to my nose. I was indifferent about the entire lot (except for NH), and after I saw the prices, I thought to myself "No way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    I've sampled a handful Bond No. 9 samples consisting of the most popular fragrances from the house. The only one that I felt was even close to being worth the cost was New Haarlem. Their fragrances aren't BAD by any means, but just feel uninspired to my nose. I was indifferent about the entire lot (except for NH), and after I saw the prices, I thought to myself "No way!"
    There's been a lot of hype on Silver Factory never smelled it. My local Saks didn't have a tester nor mini bon samples of it, it is good?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    There's been a lot of hype on Silver Factory never smelled it. My local Saks didn't have a tester nor mini bon samples of it, it is good?

Save you money and look for your dream's frag in another house, I have samples of couple of Bonds and they really did not impressed me at all.
    it's just packaging, actually not even the packaging is that interesting, if you really want to rock the boat, please try to explore other houses (mentioned below, and apologies for being Sarcastic towards Bond, but their price tag versus what their offer as frag's quality is just disappointing and disrespectful)
    Houses mentioned below are getting a lot of hype at the moment, but at least their do offer some wonderful frags and gorgeous packaging, so your money is not just going waist:

By Kilian (my advise on this house) - A Taste of Heaven, Straight to Paradise and Back to Black

Amouage (my advise on this house) - Jubilation XXV, Reflection

Cheers,

I would sample New Harlem first as for me it was like having maple syrup poured over your skin with a funky coffee note.lol

Riverside Drive is a good one.

I absolutely detest Silver Factory, its a fierce fragrance unusual and not exactly "Fragrance friendly" to someone like myself who generally prefers a bit more "safer" scents. Definitely do not blind buy.

Safe bets, Chez Bond, Wall Street, Riverside Drive.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Save you money and look for your dream's frag in another house, I have samples of couple of Bonds and they really did not impressed me at all.
    it's just packaging, actually not even the packaging is that interesting, if you really want to rock the boat, please try to explore other houses (mentioned below, and apologies for being Sarcastic towards Bond, but their price tag versus what their offer as frag's quality is just disappointing and disrespectful)
    Houses mentioned below are getting a lot of hype at the moment, but at least their do offer some wonderful frags and gorgeous packaging, so your money is not just going waist:

By Kilian (my advise on this house) - A Taste of Heaven, Straight to Paradise and Back to Black

Amouage (my advise on this house) - Jubilation XXV, Reflection

Cheers,
    Never sampled Back to Black but i've seen a lot hype on that particular bottle.

check out west side

Brooklyn.

Anyone know if i can have Bond No. 9 samples shipped to my door from a Saks Department Store? If so, would i have to pay for shipping?

Blog Entries

In my opinion, the Bond No. 9's worth purchasing:

Central Park
    Riverside Drive
    H.O.T. Always (if you're really ambitious)
    Great Jones
    Noveau Bowery
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have a problem with Bond No 9 and the methods they used to bully decant seller The Perfumed Court into not selling decants of their frags. I have a sneaking suspicion they were somehow involved in influencing (bullying?) Basenotes into stopping decant sales also. As a result I decided when that all happened that I would not purchase any new Bond No. 9 from a retailer. This is a personal decision and of course many will not agree with it.

That said, I do occasionally enjoy wearing a few spritzes from my long ago purchased bottle of Great Jones, which, when gone, will not be replaced by a new bottle or any other new bottle of Bond No. 9 from a retailer for the above stated reasons.

Look for a private seller of any Bond No. 9 you may want is my advice.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Bond no 9's in general are no where near worth the asking price so don't expect to get your money's worth. You've been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Bond no 9's in general are no where near worth the asking price so don't expect to get your money's worth. You've been warned.
    + 1. If you still want to go with this house then New Haarlem would be my choice.

I agree with you that it's overpriced. I like New Haarlem but i'm not sure if it's definitely worth the price.

Cooler weather: New Haarlem, West Side, Nuits de Noho

Warmer Weather: Wallstreet, Bleecker Street, Brooklyn, Riverside Drive,

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I have a problem with Bond No 9 and the methods they used to bully decant seller The Perfumed Court into not selling decants of their frags. I have a sneaking suspicion they were somehow involved in influencing (bullying?) Basenotes into stopping decant sales also. As a result I decided when that all happened that I would not purchase any new Bond No. 9 from a retailer. This is a personal decision and of course many will not agree with it.

That said, I do occasionally enjoy wearing a few spritzes from my long ago purchased bottle of Great Jones, which, when gone, will not be replaced by a new bottle or any other new bottle of Bond No. 9 from a retailer for the above stated reasons.

Look for a private seller of any Bond No. 9 you may want is my advice.
    I heard rumors of that, I first heard that through Marc robes08 youtube channel. Bond No. 9's claim was that it was hurting them. But that still didn't stop other online sites from selling bottles at a much lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I agree with you that it's overpriced. I like New Haarlem but i'm not sure if it's definitely worth the price.
    If I wanted to get my money's worth New Haarlem would come the closest. I see you live in California and it's definately not for warmer weather. To my nose Bonds smell like $50 fragrance put into a $175 pretty bottle and box. Designers such as Chanel and Guerlain are superior in my opinion.

CHANEL is amazing designer house i wear Allure Homme Sport a lot. I find it ridiculous that Guerlain is asking over $200 for SDV, amazing vanilla based fragrance though.

Just on quality of ingredients and blending i'd put Chanel, Dior, Guerlain, and YSL above Bond. My take on Bond is they take a popular designer fragrance and copy it, throw in some funky notes to make it smell a little different, but it's just if not more synthetic and it's not worth the extra money for the improvement. I won't even start with the Creed references, because they don't even come close.

CHANEL is amazing designer house i wear Allure Homme Sport a lot. I find it ridiculous that Guerlain is asking over $200 for SDV, amazing vanilla based fragrance though.
    Yeah it's a keeper. If you'd be upset at buying a $200 bottle of Guerlain, you'd feel like you just got robbed blind if you pay $225 for a Bond No.9. You really have to sample bonds as I don't think they have a fragrance in their line up that even remotely is a safe blind buy.

Yeah, I will echo the same sentiments as the rest. Bonds are overpriced and generally not worth the money. For instance, Eau de New York is almost identical to the Art of Shaving's "lemon" . However, there are some good ones to buy:

1) Riverside Drive 2) New Haarlem 3) Wall Street.

That being said, they're not irreplaceable.

Another vote here for New Haarlem. They make some solid fragrances, but NH is the only one I have been able to muster much enthusiasm for, especially given their significant cost.

Bond no 9's in general are no where near worth the asking price so don't expect to get your money's worth.
    Agree.

Just on quality of ingredients and blending i'd put Chanel, Dior, Guerlain, and YSL above Bond. My take on Bond is they take a popular designer fragrance and copy it, throw in some funky notes to make it smell a little different, but it's just if not more synthetic and it's not worth the extra money for the improvement. I won't even start with the Creed references, because they don't even come close.
    Agree. Those are probably the only designer houses + Thierry Mugler that I give respect to.

That's why I admire some niche houses like l'artisan, diptyque, serge lutens and even frederic malle (to some extent). They're not there to rob their customers of their money, they want to produce quality fragrances that are affordable and not overated.

Any thoughts about Bleeker Street?

I will get New Haarlem for my birthday but would never ever dream of spedning money on Bond.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

There are some good Bond scents. I'd advise checking out:
    Harrods for Him (a great summer scent with lavender + rhubarb over birch wood and sandalwood)
    Harrods Ltd. Edition (an awesome green/animalic oud scent)
    Brooklyn (very nice all purpose scent. Cardamom, grapefruit and orange and geranium over juniper, light woods + vetiver)
    Eau de New York (I disagree that this is just like AoS' Lemon. This is much more neroli prominent. A sunny, happy scent.)
    Great Jones (A niche version of Paco Rabanne PH with more citrus and better quality ingredients)
    Wall Street (One of the best uses of cucumber in a scent. Very clean and refreshing with great longevity)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I've got HOT Always, Chez Bond, Central Park and Granmercy Park and have to admit I just don't reach for them very often.

That said I would recomment HOT Always.

As usual try before you buy.

Riverside Drive, Great Jones, Chez Bond, West Side, Nuits de Noho- all good if you can find them for a discounted price. I found New Harlem to be too sickly.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Has Saks been pretty generous with Bond No. 9 samples if someone decided to purchase a bottle?

Sur la Plage

I can only recommend:

New Haarlem
    Great Jones
    Silver Factory
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Almost everyone thinks that Bond fragrances are overpriced and generally uninspired. Almost everyone is right.

Having said that, New Haarlem is a winner. Whether it's worth its stratospheric price is up to you (I think it is). I see a number of people have recommended Wall Street; I find it to be a weird smell that's too much like a cucumber salad -- definitely not for a blind buy. Please, as always, try before you buy.

I'm planning on purchasing my first bottle of Bond No. 9 soon. I'm leaning towards purchasing a 3.3oz of New Haarlem but I would like to hear what other people have for suggestions.
    Your original choice is as good as any from Bond - go for it.

I haven't smelled Riverside Drive. What does Riverside Drive smell like?

Aside from New Haarlem, would you guys consider Riverside Drive and Wall Street somewhat good purchases as well?

Chinatown is the best from the house in my humble opinion.

New Haarlem is fantastic too, as well as Nuits de Noho.

The others are good, the above are great

I haven't gotten to try any Bond scents yet, but I really am interested in Little Italy and Coney Island. I would love a really super intense orange fragrance, and from what I've heard, Little Italy is it.

Also, even though it gets some bad reviews, Coney Island sounds intriguing and different to me. (a salty Sweet Tart type opening that dries down to a sweet vanilla and dark chocolate base. Sounds weird, but actually very appealing to me). Those 2 are going to be my first samples. I'd also like to try Chez Bond too.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 6th July 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    I haven't gotten to try any Bond scents yet, but I really am interested in Little Italy and Coney Island. I would love a really super intense orange fragrance, and from what I've heard, Little Italy is it.

Also, even though it gets some bad reviews, Coney Island sounds intriguing and different to me. (a salty Sweet Tart type opening that dries down to a sweet vanilla and dark chocolate base. Sounds weird, but actually very appealing to me). Those 2 are going to be my first samples. I'd also like to try Chez Bond too.
    Chez Bond is has a nice scent though it very similar to GIT by CREED. I'm not impressed with Coney Island. I actually like Little Italy, i really want to get a couple of samples from Saks and wear it on my skin. I only got an initial impression of it.

I'm going to stick to the original plan and purchase New Haarlem. Ill definitely sample Riverside Drive and Wall Street that is if i can get a sample of it at some point.

Chinatown, although it's better for women.

Great Jones is a far cry from the mastery of Paco Rabanne pour Homme but it does what you want it to sometimes.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th September 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Before the Bond No. 9 line was axed from HK a couple of years ago they were all going for 50%. I was given a box full of the little bonbons and really tried to find one I liked, but even at that price I just couldn't. Funnily enough I did buy a 50ml Chinatown as a collectible which may its way to my niece or a future daughter in law perhaps, but that was it. I would also recommend looking around a bit, especially for the prices they charge.