Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you like Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier (Y/N)

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

154 52.92%
  • NO

137 47.08%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Le Male: Who likes this fragrance? Who hates this fragrance? Favorite Vanilla Based Fragrance?

Yea it's pretty good I think, but that's as far as I go. I wouldn't deem it worthy of a full bottle purchase.

Default Re: Le Male: Who likes this fragrance? Who hates this fragrance? Favorite Vanilla Based Fragrance?

I can understand the appeal, I suppose, but I am not a fan. Too feminine. Too one dimensional.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I like Le Male just fine, but I did sell off a bottle of it recently. Will I miss it? Probably not.

I like the inexpensive version of Le Male known as Cuba gold much more. Doesn´t smell as synthetic, it isn´t as cloying and for the fraction of the cost of the original one.

PS: Did I mention that I receive more compliments from this 10 dollar fragrance than my other more expensive colognes, lol.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

This Sh*t is just as disgusting as AXE. F***ing gross!!!

It was my first ever fragrance.....it will probably always be in my collection. But I hardly wear it these days. Too many people wear it. I don't want to smell the same as every other guy in my town!

I love mint. I love vanilla. I don't like Le Male. Could be that it reminds me of some not-so-happy experiences in my childhood, although I'm not sure.

Give Britto Man a try ....

Received a bottle as a gift. Just as I did let Cuba Gold and The Dreamer go and thought I'm done with this kind of scent. It is much more pleasant than those two though, doesn't seem so strong either, so young men maybe just douse themselves. Too popular perhaps, but I shall give the infamous panty dropper a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Received a bottle as a gift. Just as I did let Cuba Gold and The Dreamer go and thought I'm done with this kind of scent. It is much more pleasant than those two though, doesn't seem so strong either, so young men maybe just douse themselves. Too popular perhaps, but I shall give the infamous panty dropper a go.
    i won't say that is bad or that it smells bad. but every joe on the street uses it. Do you like to smell like the average joe when there are such good alternatives out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
    i won't say that is bad or that it smells bad. but every joe on the street uses it. Do you like to smell like the average joe when there are such good alternatives out there?
    Well, not really. I don't wear A*Men much either for this reason, or 1 Million or whatever else is popular with young lads at the moment, but it was a nice, unexpected gift, so I will use it sometimes. It smells nice enough. Not as strong as I imagined from smelling it on others.

Basenotes Member

Love Le Male! My Signature scent
    And I love Vanilla based fragrances

I dont hate it but the dreamer is much better than it in every category
    I would rate it 7/10
    The strange thing that I got 3 hours longevity with Le Male & fair sillage [ I tried it @ Mazaya (most trusted store here in Egypt) ]
    Last edited by NONAME1996; 16th September 2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

I think of Le Male as more of an oriental than a vanilla.. although vanilla certainly coincides with 'oriental'; but I think that Le Male has much more going on than just vanilla. It's got the mint, and lavender as well, which play a big role, so I don't consider it to be 'vanilla based', but that's just me. Vanilla based is more like: Eau Duelle, Molinard Vanille + others with Vanille in the name from this mouse, Raw Vanilla, etc.

In terms of vanilla, I think Eau Duelle by Diptyque, is one of the best out there. And while Le Male may have vanilla in it, I find it to be quite refined and well balanced with the other notes, especially the lavender, to make more of a lavender/vanilla accord, then just vanilla by itself.. I think this is what is most off putting to so many, because in large doses it can be sickening. The combination of these 2 notes can always become potentially overpowering.. this in my opinion, from my experience..

I thought this was OK at first. Now I love it.

The Dreamer is probably still my favourite though.

This is the only fragrance that smells linear to me from top to bottom . All i get is vanilla and maybe some mint in the mid -stages .

The best part about this is : I LOVE IT .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I don't like Le Male... I LOVE le male. Amazing fragrance which I will always own.
    +1

If you can't handle the awesomeness, get out of the kitchen.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I think of Le Male as more of an oriental than a vanilla.. although vanilla certainly coincides with 'oriental'; but I think that Le Male has much more going on than just vanilla. It's got the mint, and lavender as well, which play a big role, so I don't consider it to be 'vanilla based', but that's just me. Vanilla based is more like: Eau Duelle, Molinard Vanille + others with Vanille in the name from this mouse, Raw Vanilla, etc.

In terms of vanilla, I think Eau Duelle by Diptyque, is one of the best out there. And while Le Male may have vanilla in it, I find it to be quite refined and well balanced with the other notes, especially the lavender, to make more of a lavender/vanilla accord, then just vanilla by itself.. I think this is what is most off putting to so many, because in large doses it can be sickening. The combination of these 2 notes can always become potentially overpowering.. this in my opinion, from my experience..
    I agree. Le Male is much more than vanilla. To my nose vanilla is not even main note of Le Male. I am geting more of lavender and mint than vanilla.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

Nice post bro. And I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Le Male is a victim of its own popularity. It lacks the exclusiveness that the diehard fraghead desires which is why it doesn't find love here on the MFD.

Lavender, mint, and vanilla. What's not to love? FWIW, I find it much more wearable than Caron's pour un homme.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Tried it on a card again yesterday and liked it... seems better than many designer frags at Macy's. Luckily, where I live there aren't many "Jersey Shore" types around that bathe in it...

Le Male is okay--I don't love it and I don't hate it. I don't reach for it a lot because there are other vanilla fragrances I like better. Others have mentioned that they don't see this primarily as a vanilla fragrance, but I have to say whenever I spray this I feel like I'm being struck on the head forcefully and repeatedly by a large burlap sack of vanilla. Of course I notice the mint and lavender, especially at the very top, but nonetheless the vanilla really dominates in my experience.

My favorite vanilla by far is Bois 1920 La Vaniglia. I'm still pretty new to that scent though, so it might just be infatuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    It's not that it's a bad scent per say, it's just extremely over played (duh!), it's the Justin Bieber of scents
    +1000000000000000000000

Don't hate it, just don't like it that much. And that packaging. . . ugh. Best vanilla is Spiriteuse Double Vanille, which is uber expensive but fantastic.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    but I have to say whenever I spray this I feel like I'm being struck on the head forcefully and repeatedly by a large burlap sack of vanilla.
    Funny!

I used to really dislike Le Male, it always gave me a headache. If applied lightly though, Le Male can smell almost nice. Still don't like it much, but it can be tolerable.

any asians here? or has anyone been to an authenthic chinese restaurant where the tables come laid with wet tissues? take a smell at the wet tissues. i bet they soak them in Le Male.

I like Le Male, and have done so from the start. I know this might seem strange, Le Male is also my car scent. I cannot stand those truly synthetic car fresheners, so if I want to give my car a lift I spray it with Le Male; lightly.

As for Vanilla scents I would like to try Guerlain's Spirituose Doble Vanille, but no one stocks it in my small town.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    I like Le Male, and have done so from the start. I know this might seem strange, Le Male is also my car scent. I cannot stand those truly synthetic car fresheners, so if I want to give my car a lift I spray it with Le Male; lightly.

As for Vanilla scents I would like to try Guerlain's Spirituose Doble Vanille, but no one stocks it in my small town.
    Call the Guerlain store in Vegas, they'll most probably ship n u pay no tax! And it does smell wonderful.

It seems that Le Male goes well with slightly fermented milk and soiled pampers.

When I first tried it I hated it but now love it. There are also so many opportunities for me to wear this since it's cold like 70% of the time of the year where I live. The good thing for me is that this fragrance is not popular around here, I have never smelled it on anyone before and I go to bars quite a bit, but I don't go to clubs so it could be different story there.

But generally around here no one seems to care about the fragrances they themselves or others wear, if someone is going to wear something most will usually go with body sprays or fragrances that can generally be found at a walmart, local grocery store, or at our local outlets (Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, etc..).
    Last edited by Potgut; 18th September 2011 at 08:30 AM.

Le Male to me is:

Vanilla
    Sweet mint
    Cumin
    Plastic
    (In that order)

+ Projection and longevity on a next level.

That is Le Male.

Thumbs down Re: Le Male: Who likes this fragrance? Who hates this fragrance? Favorite Vanilla Based Fragrance?

I think this is pure vile, I hate it. Every time I tried it on my skin I got a terrible headache as well.

hmm ive smelled it once, since i was sampling some fragrances with my gf and she hated everything i picked, so i was like Damn i betchu like those mainstream fragrances so i saw le male, sprayed it on a strip, and she was like , its alrite.. but i remember kindoff liking it but not like wanted a bottle of it, i cant even remember what it smelled like tbh and i kinda need a fresh winter/fall scent so i might sample that one again, but yeah i really really try to avoid those top 10 fragrances everyones wearing.. but since the people around me only wear 1 million i never smelled le male on someone else, ;D so yeah more of a in between type of thing i guess

I prefer Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge's take on Le Male!
    My favorite Vanilla's are Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford's Private Blend and Molinard's Vanille for a linear vanilla! I like to use Molinard's for layering also!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

I really can't smell it. It is too light for me. I agree with your three favorite vanillas. They are also my favorites.

<333333333333

I voted NO. I do like vanilla fragrances though but don't get that in Le Male.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier
    Horrible!
    This scent smells like an empty pub on sunday mornings.
    Biggest problem: most users seem not to be able to wear it in acceptable proportions and poison the air far outside their territories. Yyyaaargh!

Not a Le Male fan. The best vanilla based fragrance I've tried so far is Tobacco Vanille.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Total scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    The best vanilla based fragrance I've tried so far is Tobacco Vanille.
    I'll second that and i'll add Pure Havane (= which is quickly becoming my favorite bottle in my humble collection . I'm already thinking about stocking up on it )
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Cool Re: Le Male: Who likes this fragrance? Who hates this fragrance? Favorite Vanilla Based Fragrance?

Let's see. My 2009 review:

Cheapo synthetic vanilla cloying with an overdose of tonka drydown.

Otherwise perfection---in marketing.

The bottle is the biggest hit since Coca Cola decided to copy a woman's curves in theirs. And, from the official JPG ad:

"Since Jean Paul Gaultier's first men's collection, he has shown men that they can indulge in the forbidden, and that a kilt or dress can be worn with virility."

Yeah, I can see Braveheart forsaking his kilt to wear a dress, preferably a sequined gown while leading The Scots in battle.

We continue the hype:

" A reminder to them that nothing in life is totally black or white but always a blend."

Welcome to Orwellian Doublespeak. How many fingers am I holding up, Winslow?

"Jean Paul Gaultier now transforms the man in a sailor's T-shirt into both the symbol and bottle of Le Male."

Alone tonight, sailor?

I guess I was saying I don't really care for it.

Favorite vanilla based scent?

Hm . . .Cheapo Primo Soft Vanilla: Ignition by Lomani.

Heavy Oriental Classical Vanilla: L'Heure Blue by Guerlian (1912)

Dark and Wearable Goth/ Gangster Vanilla: Bulgari Black Yeah, Luca Turin likes it too. Burn some tire rubber!

Beyond Goth. Bizarre and Unwearable ( but very well constructed) Honey-Spiced Vanilla: L'air du Desert Marocain

Even Better Constructed Drunk Vanilla: Balenciaga pour Homme

Best Cold Weather Vanilla: Egoiste

Best All Time Vanilla
    : Haven't found it yet. But it's got to beat Balenciaga.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I like it, but use it rarely. Incredibly, no matter how much this is overworn by wider male population, it'll get noticed, commented and complimented.

As always late to the party.

The first time I ever knowingly smelled LeMale was this October in Scotland when some friends and I went to a nice little pub in Bladnoch. I kept smelling this interestingly herbal or woody scent - when I could breathe at all - from a friend who had really 'over applied' this in nuclear fashion.

I asked what it was, intrigued, but not sure if I liked it or not. Back at the B&B he showed me the bottle and I had to laugh...but I left wondering what LeMale would smell like if worn in a less hazmat manner.

Bought a bottle back in the states and applied it, maybe a half pump, and was surprised that I didn't get the herbal/woody scent, but a vanilla that (to me at least) smelled like an oriental that I sometimes wear - Boucheron's Jaipur Homme.

Anyway, I like it and it has some great associations with my trip to Scotland, some great food and really good beer and whisky!

Not sure I've smelled my holy grail vanilla scent yet.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

since i turned 17 or 18 i always owned at list one bottle of le male in my arsenal i use it in my older teenager days and early 20 almoust every day at this moments i only had le male,azzaro chrome and ck eternity.
    im not going so crazy for this fragrance but i woud include it in my top 10 favorite designer fragrances at position 9 or 10.
    since all the years there is always a bottle of le male i normally recieve it for christmas,but every time i use it less right now i use it every 3 or 4 weeks 3 sprays 2 near my ears and 1 in the front part of my neck.
    in summer i use it layered with versace eau fraiche that calms it down and make it better in my opinion.1 spray le male and 2 fraiche on top.
    compliment factor i dont get so many even over the years get some bad reactions also i really think some people can dislike the strong vanilla that really is not the best vanilla in a fragrance i smelled there is a really hi quality vanila of serge lutens .

I really like it. I thought it was plasticky and unspectacular at first but I love it now. *embarrassed face*

9/10. Would be a 10 but it's too popular.

I have not smelled Le Male. My favourite vanilla fragrance at the moment is Caron Pour un Homme - not that I'm all that much into vanilla. Still, there it's inedible, inoffensive and does an amazing trick as a supporting (and eventually starring) note.

Tobacco Vanille was the scent that turned me into a lover of perfume. I've been kinda stuck on sweet scents since. I really like Givenchy Pi and went to Macy's to pick up a bottle but was stymied by Le Male which I nominally prefer. Not my fave but right up my alley.
    Nasomatto Black Afgano is my fave frag right now

Basenotes Junkie

Mostly jus mint with a hint of vanilla only sometimes at the end. If youre looking for a mostly vanilla based scent then look for something else but the mint here is nice
    Last edited by Vince23heat; 25th November 2011 at 02:12 AM.

I used to hate Le Male but I have changed my mind. It seems to work better in the winter. Now I am neither in love nor do I hate this one. It can be good at times.

But my favorite vanilla is Dior Addict. Beautiful stuff.
    Last edited by Akahina; 24th November 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I myself do NOT like this fragrance. I find it rather too synthetic and to me it smells more like a sweet mint rather than vanilla. This fragrance in particular gives me headaches and kicks up my sinuses. Who's with in not liking this fragrance? Who likes this fragrance? What are your favorite vanilla based fragrances? My favorites are Un Bois Vanille, SDV, and Tobacco Vanille.
    Le Male is pretty obnoxious. It is bad enough to smell it at a club at 3 am. What's worse is smelling it during the day in a business setting. Come on guys, let's step it up a notch. There are much better and less synthetic-smelling vanilla or minty fragrances out there.

For a minty blast, try Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle "Geranium Pour Monsieur".
    For a grown-up and sophisticated vanilla, try Diptyque "Eau Duelle" (green, fresh, versatile), Santa Maria Novella's "Vaniglia" (herbal, spicy, soft but not overly sweet), or Montale "Vanilla Extasy" (clean vanilla with a hint of tea).

I've been trying to convince myself NOT to like Le Male. Everyone wears it, overrated, outplayed, blah blah blah.

But screw it. I love it. The mint and vanilla is fantastic. Especially on a crisp winter day.

Would I wear Le Male on a date or special occasion? Nope. But it is a great casual fragrance for cooler weather.

I did a side-by-side comparison of Le Male and Body Kouros and it made me realize how synthetic and cheap Le Male was. Yeah..dislike.

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

I like it, don't love it though.

Much prefer Lolita Lempicka au Masculine, more depth, better blend, more interesting scent imo.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

From the day I tested this, I loved it. Ended up buying the small bottle and finished it within the year. Now I need to get a new one.

Le Male: Who hates this fragrance

I love it...

I just bought myself a new bottle yesterday since I was dry

liked it a little at first. Grew weary very quickly.

In the 90s I ignored it because of snobbism, but three months ago I 'discovered' it via Terrible. Now I wear it. Such is life...

I love it!