Code of Conduct

Default Cuir de Lancome vs Cuir Ottoman vs (not very known) Voleur de Ciels

Which one would you get?

Lancome is way cheaper than Ottoman. I've worn Ottoman a couple of time and i like it. Cuir I haven't tried it is less than half the price and has a lot of respect here in basenotes.
    Voleur des Ciels by Stephanie de Saint Aignan would be a blind buy too, but it's a bargain from a friendly online shop that is closing.

Any opinion?

Default Re: Cuir de Lancome vs Cuir Ottoman vs (not very known) Voleur de Ciels

I used to own Cuir de Lancome. I sold it. It's a transparent, floral, leather. Elegant. Unfortunately:

1. it doesn't project as much as Cuir Ottoman
    2. it doesn't last as long as Cuir Ottoman.
    3. it just seems that there's a lot more going on with Cuir Ottoman as compared to Cuir de Lancome
    4. Cuir Ottoman is definitely unisex whereas Cuir de Lancome is more on the feminine side. Not that I have problems wearing feminine perfumes, this is just an observation to give the OP an idea.

On that note, I'll put my money on CO. IMHO, it's worth the money even though it's more expensive than Cuir de Lancome.

I have no clue about Voleur des Ciels.
    Last edited by volley2; 7th July 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Also no clue about Voleur de Ciels.

But between Cuir de Lancome and Cuir Ottoman: man that is a tough one. Both are so good. At the price you can get Lancome, honestly I would just get both.

Lancome is just pure beauty. It is one of the prettiest, smoothest fragrances I've ever smelled. It's on the sweet side.

Ottoman is more of a direct leather scent. It starts a bit floral, and ends with a dry, almost dusty leather note that is very refined, pure and attractive.

They are neck and neck in terms of quality, so Lancome is a much better value. But seriously, these are both awesome scents and totally different styles. You should get both; I can't choose.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Cuir Ottoman without hesitation.

Both Cuir Ottoman and Cuir de Lancome are excellent and FBW. Cuir de Lancome is unisex, Cuir Ottoman is more masculine.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

50ml Cuir de Lancome Eau de Parfum can be bought very very cheap on ebay.co.uk, so I bought it blind some weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't like it very much and still don't care for it much. The drydown is tolerable after some hours, but not so the topnotes for me. It's feminine, it's powdery and it's artificial color is a frightening nightmare.

No doubt for me, Cuir Ottoman wins 8:2
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Both are good and on the smooth side of leathers. The lancome a little bit more so. Given the price, I'd start with the Lancome (which is what I did) and then get the ottoman later if you still want another smooth leather (but then, why not splurge with the Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum?)

cacio

Sur la Plage

I have not tried Voleur de Ciels.

But I much prefer Cuir de Lancome over Cuir Ottoman. This is based on smell, not marketing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Maybe it's because of skin chemistry why I can't appreciate Cuir de Lancome. Testing on paper right now it smells way better ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Cuir Ottoman for me. In fact, where leather is the question, Cuir Ottoman is usually my answer. Leather and iris, full but not sharp or aggressive. I bought Oud Cuir d'Arabie instead of this some time ago and wish I'd chosen differently; Cuir Ottoman is the one I return to more often, and I find it much more versatile.

That being said, Cuir Lancome is very pleasant. I can't say I get a lot of leather; if it's there, it's rather subtle. I mostly get a pleasant, smooth powdery accord from it.

The third one I have no clue about.

I haven't tried Cuir de Lancome; Cuir Ottoman is in what I think of as my Buridan's Ass drawer - my collection of gorgeous leathers I don't buy FBs of because I can't figure out which I want to buy first. As for Voleur de Ciels, I haven't tried it, but my initial impression of the Stephanie de Saint Aignan line, the one opportunity I got to sample it, wasn't that high. I've tried Embruns d'Ambre, Berberiades, Li Altarelli and Un Thé au Sahara on paper, and one of them on skin - that I can no longer recall which and that I didn't bother to note it down at the time will tell you the degree to which they failed to impress me. They seemed to me to peter out after promising openings and end up somehow less than the some of their parts - competent and balanced, but a bit dull. That being said, I found them after an afternoon testing other things, and testing on paper, or one test on skin when one already has other scents on other bits of one's anatomy, is not a fair test, so if anyone who has had a better opportunity to sample them wants to say I was tired and just failed to appreciate them, I'd be happy to accept it was so. But for what it's worth, since no one else so far has posted with any experience of the line at all, I wouldn't be inclined to blind buy Voleur de Ciels unless it was so cheap I wouldn't mind discovering it was passable, pleasant and ultimately unmemorable.

mmm thanks for the answers. I don't like powdery frags too much so Lancome's is starting to lose this competition. It's a shame local niche shops don't carry the 50ml option of cuir ottoman, that would be nice .

Any suggestion for Iris/Leather combos?

I'm not so sure about iris/leather combo. But worth ckecking out:

Iris Ganache by Guerlain
    Iris 39 by Le Labo
    Bois d'Iris by The Different Company
    Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Dior Homme Intense

Thanks Volley!
    Dior Homme Intense is in my wardrobe already. I think Bois d'Iris by VC&A is available in Sevilla, i'll test it. Others will have to be sampled!

Personally, I quite love them both. I usually prefer rougher leathers but both Cuir Ottoman and Cuir De Lancome are stand-outs in their genre. If you're looking for a soft leather you could go with no esitation for both (considering the Cuir De Lancome affordable price), but if you're looking for a leather scent I'd directly jump to Knize Ten.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Perfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris could be what you are looking for. Cool, realistic leather with a wonderful iris undertone. Both notes are present and accounted for. It is a little more realistic that Cuir de Lancome, and much less floral.
    Dior Homme is a second iris and leather combo, but much heavier on the iris and much sweeter.
    Oh, never mind, you already have Dior Homme.

If you're looking for iris & leather, you might consider Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris and Iris Taizo (which is now being sold as Iris Oriental). I don't think Taizo is excessively powdery - I don't generally much like powder myself and I'm seriously considering buying it - but you might like Cuir d'Iris better. The same perfumer has done Daimiris for Laboratorio Olfattivo, which I have a sample of but haven't tried yet; i believe it's an iris suede, though it may go too powdery and too feminine for what you want (IIRC it's marketed as being for women, not that I normally pay much attention to that).

I see cello beat me to it on Cuir d'Iris, which may well be just the scent you're looking for.

CdL and CO are both great. I personally prefer the complexity and particular leather take of CO. My goodness its just intoxicating.

As mentioned above, CdL is a bit too feminine and floral for me. But at the price its at, get it if you like it.

for swap/sale: