Code of Conduct

Default How important is a frag being a "compliment getter" to you?

IME, most women will compliment as soon as they get a whiff of anything fresh and inoffensive, seemingly out of custom to a cologne wearing man. Therefore "compliment getting" has no bearing on my choice of fragrance. I think heading down the path of relying on that to make frag purchases will result in one boring as hell collection.

Default Re: How important is a frag being a "compliment getter" to you?

I wear perfume for personal pleasure. Getting compliments is just a bonus. Of course it feels good when you get that.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I wear perfume for personal pleasure. Getting compliments is just a bonus. Of course it feels good when you get that.
    Exactly how I feel.

I'm with Volley2 and Hednic on this.

I wear the fragrances I do for personal pleasure. That said, everyone enjoys being complimented whether it be on scent, suit, car, whatever.

It's all subjective, and entirely dependent on personal taste. My favourite fragrances at the moment are Tobacco Vanille and Virgin Island Water, yet these get far fewer compliments than when I wear Dior Homme Intense of Le Male (surprisingly).

Honestly, I don't think I was ever complimented by a stranger. I'm also around people A LOT. Echoing it's an added bonus when it does.

Basenotes Plus

Rather important. It is reassurance that you're not offending someone with your mere presence. If I loved a fragrance, but knew others tended to dislike it, I would not wear it in public. It's common courtesy to me.

I'm glad you asked this question. I've often wondered what motivates my vanity. Why do I wear loud bowties all the time? Why do I dress in bold colors? Why do I wear a lot of (off-the-beaten-path) fragrance? I think it's a real duality. Mainly, my sense of style (including frags) is intended to please ME. I know this, because I don't care AT ALL who likes the way I look or the way I smell. I like it, so that's enough. However, at the same time, I want to be noticed, and in a good way. So, I'm not really sure. If I got no compliments, it would be a bummer I guess because I would think, "How can you idiots not notice the awesome fragrances I spend thousands of dollars for???" However, the frags bring me such personal pleasure, that not having compliments would not deter me from frags at all.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Blog Entries

This.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

No importance whatsoever.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not important to me at all. Maybe when I was younger, but not these days.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I guess, pretty much an average value/cross-section of most or all Basenotes responses, posts, opinions etc. so far

Sometimes, compliments are pretty much the main catalyst of buying, owning, testing frags, but more often, I could hardly care less about compliments when I buy scents: add these two extremes together and the final result is quite average/plain/even

Basenotes Institution

Getting a compliment is a boost and a bonus but I don't expect any .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Compliments are nice but not important at all.

I have an idea of what genre/specific fragrances will get me compliments. But to think that I would wear those particular fragrances in public just makes be depressed. So I suppose getting compliments is not important to me. Its nice if it happens ( never does), but I don't expect it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No importance whatsoever. Modesty aside, I get enough compliments from the women for just being 'me'. I don't need my fragrance to do it for me.

Not really all that important. However it is nice to get positive feedback once in awhile, especially if it's a fragrance I've never worn before. Mainly because I can't know how the average person will perceive my fragrance, so I never know if it will be good or bad.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

No importance

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I know I'm going to appear shallow and needy, but the truth is that I wear perfumes always hoping that others around me will be impressed by the fragrance that I have the good taste to wear. I don't mind if they say so or not, but I want them inwardly to be thinking that way. My pleasure in perfumes comes from sharing their elegance and allure with others; similarly I hope that my choice of tasteful clothes will give others a feeling that I respect myself and the occasion. I don't say that's for everybody, it's just how it is for me in all honesty.

Basenotes Plus

^agree 100%!!

For me it's like a love of music. I love the music I love, but I also love playing my music so others can hear it (in clubs). So, I suppose, it's a bit of both.

Plus, a compliment can turn your day around

Her: "Mmmm...you smell...yummy!"

Me: "Oh please, enough of these childish platitudes. I'd appreciate it if you inhaled elsewhere"

That's how I roll!
    Last edited by adonis; 9th July 2011 at 07:51 AM.

I am indifferent to compliments from everyone except wifey.
    Compliments from my wifey make my day. In the end we like to impress our spouses.

Yesterday she went on and on about how good rose 31 smelled on me. Made my day

for swap/sale:

I receive plenty of compliments but it's empty compared to coming across a good looking woman who smells great, wearing something animalic created before 1990. That shit gets my attention.

And like hedonist222, I like it when my gf likes it, and vice versa. I mean she has good taste so it means something. It's good when people like it but the only thing that really matters is what I think of it at the moment and whether or not I want to smell like it.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th July 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Not very. It's not just fresh scents though imo, I have seen maturer ladies turn around, e.g. in supermarket queues, sneakily trying to check out the middle aged gentleman, whose classic cologne they've smelled, finding me instead They still smile though. But generally, I just put on what I like.

The average woman who is not a fragrance franatic won't know the difference between Hugo Boss and Tom Ford. They have heard Armani, Chanel, but most likely not Frederic Malle or By Killian.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

I'm a compliment whore. Compliments is what I live for. My self esteem is so low it's pitiful. So that's my motivation for choosing a certain fragrance on a daily basis....

Totally agree with this one, wear it because you like it.