Code of Conduct

Default How can I love Paestum Rose?

I recently purchased Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose, as I was very excited to find a dark rose scent. But after a generous wearing, I got a very strong vinegar like smell, which somewhat turned me off. Is there anything I can layer this with that will remove/reduce this excessive ''tartness'' and really bring out the rose note I was in search for?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How can I love Paestum Rose?

This the exact thing that happened to me. Thank goodness I sampled this a few times before buying, as the first time I tried it, I loved it... Then, the pickles began their invasion.

In my experience it just gets more noticeable on each wearing; I'd trade it for another. The closest I know to Paestum minus the vinegar is Penhaglion's Elixir, but it's lighter and its own entity.

Post Thanks / Like

PS: This note is common in Duchaufour's fragrances, so keep that in mind with his other creations for Eau d'Italie, L'Artisan, Penhaglion's and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    PS: This note is common in Duchaufour's fragrances, so keep that in mind with his other creations for Eau d'Italie, L'Artisan, Penhaglion's and others.
    This is especially true for the Eau d'Italie line - nearly every frag in that lineup has a bitter, somewhat leathery and vinegary accord in it. Which is a shame really because if you subtract this accord from Paestum Rose, its a very good frag.
    -

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. I would recommend to sell/swap it, and sample other rose fragrances - then make a purchase.

I absolutely love it myself - but I love pickles also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

For me it smells more to olive oil than to vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    This is especially true for the Eau d'Italie line - nearly every frag in that lineup has a bitter, somewhat leathery and vinegary accord in it.
    True.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Starts off promising but ends up a letdown. I find the rose a little too subdued for my taste, especially if you're after a dark rose.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with the above statement I think it's more related to those creations that Duchafour made for L'Eau D'Italie. I don't get the "viengar note" in Kyoto, Avignon or, let's say Amaranthine. I personally appreciate Paestum Rose but can't say I love it...if you're looking for a darker rose maybe you should swap PR with Portrait Of A Lady, Eau De Parfum De George Sand by MPG, Jardin Du Nil (maybe more "dirty" than really "dark"), Noir Epices or Black Aoud.
    Last edited by alfarom; 9th July 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

You're quite right about Amaranthine and Avignon, but it's also quite prominent in L'Artisan's Dzhongka and Nuit de Tubereuse; in fact it rendered them quite intolerable for me.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

but it's also quite prominent in L'Artisan's Dzhongka .
    Yeah, you're right. In Dzhongka I definitely get it, but it's more on the boozy side to my nose.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Very funny thread. I am trying out Eau d'Italie (2005) by Eau d'Italie (B. Duchaufour) and am getting what must be the annoying pickle effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Very funny thread. I am trying out Eau d'Italie (2005) by Eau d'Italie (B. Duchaufour) and am getting what must be the annoying pickle effect.
    All this talk about pickles and making love..
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

This the exact thing that happened to me. Thank goodness I sampled this a few times before buying, as the first time I tried it, I loved it... Then, the pickles began their invasion...
    What he said ^
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Duchaufour isn't using this note so much lately, but it was common in his fragrances up to a few years ago. I can even smell it in Jubilation XXV.

I happen to like it myself, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

I love it, but dont own it yet.

Cmax...

Are there any mass market fragrances marketed to men that have a very prominent rose note? I tried Ungaro III, but I am unsure about it. I would be interested in niche offerings as well, but sometimes they are difficult to come across in Toronto, and I am no longer willing to do a blind buy. Any suggestions?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many rose prominent designer fragrances, but almost all of them are marketed to women. Which doesn't bother me, I wear what I like the smell of, regardless of who it is marketed to.

Seems like you're going to have to go for something niche (Black Aoud by Montale, No. 88 by Czech & Speake, Lyric for Men by Amouage and Rose 31 by Le Labo are all wonderful) or try a feminine (Cabaret by Gres or Stella by Stella McCartney).

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    Are there any mass market fragrances marketed to men that have a very prominent rose note? I tried Ungaro III, but I am unsure about it. I would be interested in niche offerings as well, but sometimes they are difficult to come across in Toronto, and I am no longer willing to do a blind buy. Any suggestions?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I love it.

I dont get the pickles note but I do get the spice accord and like it too. But its not pickl'y to me, more peppery.
    Ill have to test it further but Im pretty sure I dont get a vinegar like essence either.

As diamondflame said, I also wish the rose was less subdued and more intense.

for swap/sale:

Hermes Jardin Sur Le Toit is meant to be unisex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Duchaufour isn't using this note so much lately, but it was common in his fragrances up to a few years ago. I can even smell it in Jubilation XXV.

I happen to like it myself, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.
    He was big into incense notes back then...and I called him the King of Darkness. And then came the pickle and vinegar phase.

I would actually be interested in an incense + pickles composition by him. It will probably be as unwearable as sh*t, but will atleast be unique. Surround the incense+pickles heart with some chocolate gourmand top notes and a sugary Lutens base, and you have a tart attack waiting to happen..
    -

Post Thanks / Like

One of the strongest (and best) rose accords in designer masculine (in this case celebrity) fragrances is the discontinued Iquitos by Alain Delon.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Aramis 900 too.

I don't get this vinegary thing from Paestum Rose (I do from Bois d'Ombrie and Sienne L'Hiver, but i don't mind it), but my only issue with it is that the longevity is nonexistant on my skin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    I don't get this vinegary thing from Paestum Rose (I do from Bois d'Ombrie and Sienne L'Hiver, but i don't mind it), but my only issue with it is that the longevity is nonexistant on my skin
    Spray with abundance.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Spray with abundance.
    I always do : )
    Will try applying over unscented body lotion

I don't get a vinegar note at all. I think Paestum Rose is utterly beautiful. I place it up there with No.88 as one of my favourite rose/incense combinations.

If you decide you can't live with it, I'll happily buy it from you.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...