Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Miss Dior (vintage) parfum/extrait by Christian Dior

I looked for a thread on Miss Dior vintage parfum/extrait and I couldn't find one, so I decided to start one so I can gush about how WONDERFUL this juice is. A very generous Basenoter sent me some vintage EdT and Parfum and I have been testing the parfum for a while now.

Strident and green, the top notes remind me of those wonderfully strong green fragrances I grew up smelling on my parents and in-laws in the 70's and 80's (Private Collection by Estee Lauder; Devin by Aramis; etc) but because this juice is so old the green is a little rounder and smooth...like a fine aged Sauvignon Blanc. Then I smell powder and rich leather.

It is a chypre but it doesn't show it's chypre side easily...well, what I mean is it doesn't smell like a reference chypre (Mitsouko by Guerlain, Chypre by Coty, Tabac Blond by Caron) - I'm not clobbered over the head with that vibrating phantom chypre effect. Rather the bergamot, labdanum and oakmoss interplay in these strange, odd angles to highlight some other sort of chypre. I'm reminded of the tart, ambery Vol de Nuit by Guerlain - an oriental, I know...but the connection (in my mind) is unmistakeable. What's up with that?

And just when you think it's gone off and softened up at the end you get repeated floral whiffs of the top notes (gardenia, a slight wisp of jasmine and crisp sage)...sort of saying to you 'Hey!..I'm still here buddy'. This perfume has balls. Seriously.

And it was created in 1947!? What!??

I think there is no question that I need to get a bottle of this.

Miss Dior Fan Club members, talk to me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Miss Dior (vintage) parfum/extrait by Christian Dior

Here I am, Mike

Yes, I adore Miss Dior vintage parfum (my 1/2 oz pictured below).

I've also made associations in the past with my beloved Vol de Nuit... in fact very early on, I had began to wonder if the vintage Miss Dior I purchased had in fact been filled with VdN!
    I think the pair share a wonderful green woody oriental quality.

You've convinced me to wear this as my SoTD, Mike

Damnit! Your description has me lemming... Sounds wonderful, but unfortunately I have never sniffed it.

You have me lemming it now, too, Mike_Perez. I wore Miss Dior as a teen in edc and edt. My first bottle was the splash bottle with the herringbone pattern around the middle. Then there was a fluted spray bottle. This was in the 70s - 80s. I always loved the interplay of sage/herbal/chypre vs. gardenia/jasmine florals (I also like Jolie Madame for this reason, for the interplay of galbanum & leather vs. gardenia/jasmine). The high pitched floral sweetness is pulled into a long play against the resiny base. I'm not skilled at analyzing fragrances, but Miss Dior is one of the all time greats, imo. I can see how Dioressence may have evolved from it. I always thought Miss Dior was *my* fragrance. I wore it when friends were wearing the trendy fragrances like Charlie, or later Obsession and Opium, and though I wore trendy fragrances, too, Miss Dior was always my secret go-to. We didn't use the term "old lady" then, but it was my secret beloved granny scent. I have never tried it in extrait form, and now I think I must. I wonder how disappointed I would be by the current formulations.

Basenotes Institution

Dimitri that's an adorable bottle. I'm reminded of how much it resembles the Chypre by Coty bottle I have (I wonder if that is intentional?). I am glad I am not the only one who's getting a resemblance to Vol de Nuit. They both have that dusty, vintage, tart/ambery floral sweetness that make my mouth water a tiny bit. That texture is very hard to describe but when I smell it I love it. It might even be aldehydes that are making it happen. Not sure.

Larimar and lilybelle - oh yes I think both of you would love this stuff. Oddly, I see the vintage parfum/extrait online at more affordable prices than other Diors. I did try the vintage EdT and while it's just as lovely it's really not as special and wonderfully rich as the extrait. I've never smelled another deep animalic green fragrance, except for Djedi by Guerlain, which is much different than Miss Dior. Plus, as I said, this is a chypre that doesn't really smell like a chypre in parfum. This just boggles my mind and excites me also.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th July 2011 at 08:58 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Wore the EdT (vintage) today and while it's clearly not as deep and enchanting as the parfum, it is a GREAT vintage fragrance in it's own right. I applied it more than 10 hours ago and I can clearly smell it coming off me faintly. There was a stronger radiance of powder in the EdT about an hour into application, but nice powder. The EdT ultimately reminds me of a cross between Chanel Pour Monsieur (because of all that moss!) and Vol de Nuit (tart spices).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mmm...sounds wonderful!

I love this scent, and as different as the new one smells, i don't think it's all that bad really.

Thank you for sharing that great picture sorcery of scent! It captures its vintage allure without taking the classy aura out of it.

cheers