Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille??? Any thoughts about this fragrance???

I'm planning on purchasing Un Bois Vanille sometime this year. I think it's one of the best Vanilla fragrances along with SDV IMO. I probably won't be buying SDV $225 is a lot for a 75ml bottle. I'm going to be purchasing Chergui as well. Any thoughts about Un Bois Vanille? What other Serge Lutens fragrances would you recommend? I'm trying find some that are easier to wear for casual usage, sweet (not too sweet), and something that can easily be liked by everyone.

Default Re: Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille??? Any thoughts about this fragrance???

From all the Lutens in my collection (Arabie, Fleurs du Citronnier, Ambre Sultan and A La Nuit), Un Bois Vanille is my favourite. It is really a very good scent, good sillage, longlasting, and simply delicious. I didn't like it so much at first, but now is in my top ten. The vanilla, coconut, woods, liquorice...great fragrance.

Default Re: Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille??? Any thoughts about this fragrance???

Quote Originally Posted by migjurado View Post
    It is really a very good scent, good sillage, longlasting, and simply delicious.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

It smells like a freshly baked muffin.

Post Thanks / Like

I very much prefer Un bois vanille to Guerlain spiritueuse. If you want to go down the sweet route, jeux de peau is even sweeter and more striking. But perhaps too difficult to wear. Otherwise, for sweet easy to wear I agree on Chergui, and then Borneo (patchouli chocolate).

If you have access to the Paris exclusive, then la Myrrhe as well.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Smells like warm Cotton Candy and Vanilla. A less-synthetic mature version of Aqualina's Blue Sugar man. Very nicely done. I would prefer it on a woman though.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 11th July 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my mother's favorites. I like it but the coconut note is prominent.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

just like vanilla cream biscuit, too sweet for my sweet tooth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    One of my mother's favorites. I like it but the coconut note is prominent.
    yes,i agree..baked muffin at first apply calms down to a sweet floral coconut-y smell like I like it but it's not the only sugary vanilla/gourmand that i adore
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked it but found it challenging and difficult to wear... just like Vanille Absolu by Montale.

I get my 'sweet vanilla' needs satisfied with Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I liked it but found it challenging and difficult to wear... just like Vanille Absolu by Montale.

I get my 'sweet vanilla' needs satisfied with Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.
    I enjoy Tobacco Vanille!

Post Thanks / Like

I love vanilla fragrances, and while I find Un Bois Vanille pleasant, the sweetness and coconut note throw me. I have to say that I also prefer Tobacco Vanille. If you enjoy sweet vanillas, how about Havana Vanille's rich, boozy quality? For something a touch on the drier side, I also have yet to find anything similar to Farmacia SS Anunziata's Vaniglia del Madagascar (and basically you should give it a try simply because I typed that whole name out and all ).

Post Thanks / Like

I love this house. A lot of frags that I would like to get. Unfortunately, not this one. I don't know....just not for me. I prefer other vanilla scents such as Vanilia by L'artisan Parfumeur or SDV by Guerlain.

Post Thanks / Like

This the only one of the ( numerous, plentiful, abundant ) Bois series I haven't tried. I wonder if it'll be the only one I like?

It's rather tough making me happy with vanilla. It needs to be non-powdery and non-foody.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Un Bois Vanille is indeed good but imo not as wearable as SDV. The Luten's heavier gourmand feel makes it tricky for me. Another good option is Dyptique's Eau Duelle.

Too much coconut, liquorice and burnt caramelised sugar for my liking:

http://scentforthought.blogspot.com/...le-lutens.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    This the only one of the ( numerous, plentiful, abundant ) Bois series I haven't tried. I wonder if it'll be the only one I like?

It's rather tough making me happy with vanilla. It needs to be non-powdery and non-foody.
    If i had to choose a vanilla based fragrance and money was not an issue I would go with SDV. Un Bois Vanille is my alternative since i don't have $200 dollars to spend on a fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Un Bois Vanille, Lutens is good! The woods soften a bit but I personally prefer vanilla fragrances that are compromised even more by woods, tobacco or leather. I've almost bought it several times - it is tempting. I also like these vanillas too: Eau Duelle by Diptyque, Vanillaville by Soivohle Studio, Spirituese Double Vanille Guerlain, TF Tobacco Vanille, Nicolai Vanille Intense.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure you have decided by now , but I for one did not like much SDV (in a boozy vanilla category I prefer Note Vanillee by Macillef, sadly discontinued), but I really like Un Bois Vanille. It smells like vanilla with burnt sugar, VERY SLIGHTLY smokey so that it may be nice on a man as well, despite its sweetness (unlike Jalaine Vanilla which I love, but it is very feminine).
    I sampled over 50 vanilla scents last year and picked only three; this was one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perszona View Post
    I am sure you have decided by now , but I for one did not like much SDV (in a boozy vanilla category I prefer Note Vanillee by Macillef, sadly discontinued), but I really like Un Bois Vanille. It smells like vanilla with burnt sugar, VERY SLIGHTLY smokey so that it may be nice on a man as well, despite its sweetness (unlike Jalaine Vanilla which I love, but it is very feminine).
    I sampled over 50 vanilla scents last year and picked only three; this was one of them.
    What were the other two?

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it at first but then found it had a really nasty melting plastic/synthetic accord I just couldn't get over.

I love vanilla and I love Serge Lutens but I really couldnt get along with this one

Post Thanks / Like

Macillef Notee Vanille and Jaliane Vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    What were the other two?

Post Thanks / Like

I found it very nice, but also way to sweet, but it was a long time ago, I may have changed my mind by now. SDV has that boozy note that gives it a bit more of an edge.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

I *love* Lutens... but I can't wear UBV regularly.

It smells like intense burnt caramel... Simple and incredibly sickly sweet. Almost a caricature of a gourmand.

Where Thierry Mugler's Amen is also sickly sweet and overpowering with multiple soft dessert-like facets (and makes me nauseated), Un Bois Vanille is simple but intense with a clear sharp piercing sweetness that almost gives me a headache!

I think it's another amazing and artistic Lutens fragrance, but one that most men (and probably most women) wouldn't wear regularly. I would definitely recommend trying it first if you are looking for an everyday gourmand frag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perszona View Post
    Macillef Notee Vanille and Jaliane Vanilla.
    Ooh (totally belated reply) Micallef is lovely. I'll have to try Jaliane, thanks Perszona.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this one very girly TBH.

Un Bois Vanille

Is this scent available in US or Canada or by mail here? I used to own it, purchased in Paris, but it was stolen froma hotel room. I loved it and wore nothing else.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Ooh (totally belated reply) Micallef is lovely. I'll have to try Jaliane, thanks Perszona.
    Jalaine has a great deal on a sample pack: http://www.jalainefragrances.com/jal...ragrances.html

There's usually more in those vials than advertised too.

I enjoyed wearing it but not enough to re-buy.
    Fumerie Turque blew my mind but I think some re-formulation has taken place.

Not for me - way too syrupy sweet and like AnthonyDG I too find it has a synthetic note that bothers me after a while.

I bought three vanillas at nearly the same time: SDV, UBV, and Eau Duelle. I love them all, but rarely wear them in public for some reason -- SDV is currently my favorite "relaxing at home" scent.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

I classify this as an easy to wear vanilla fragrance, not too sweet and it really captures the vanilla essence with the vanilla seeds (if you saw and smell a real vanilla you will know what I am writing about)

"Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    I classify this as an easy to wear vanilla fragrance, not too sweet and it really captures the vanilla essence with the vanilla seeds (if you saw and smell a real vanilla you will know what I am writing about)

Why do you keep bumping old Serge Lutens threads?