Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $100

    28 27.45%
  • $100 - $150

    44 43.14%
  • $150 - $200

    18 17.65%
  • Above $200

    12 11.76%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 110
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,446

    Default How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    There are Niche bottles that are overly priced $200+ and others that are low as $100 (or lower). What would you consider a respectable price for a Niche Fragrance? I think anywhere from $100-$150 would be respectable IMO.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    At any rate, there is no guarantee that the quality of a niche scent is in any way lower only because a niche scent costs under 100$
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

  3. #3

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I think they should be priced high enough to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry from wearing them, but low enough for people such as myself to enjoy (I'm a student).

  4. #4
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,354

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I don't have an opinion on this. I think most of the people who answer are really answering the question "how much are you willing to pay for a niche fragrance?"

  5. #5
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    The Funny Part about Niche Houses is that the compromise here is to create art and NOT to please the standardized Mass.
    Most of Mainstream Frags at the moment are relatively cheap, because they equally simply do smell cheap.
    Niche Houses utilize top Raw materials (there are few exceptions) on their creations, and of course quality comes with a price.
    Besides, I don't believe Niche houses are aiming to reach the average consumer, as such consumer might not even be able to smell the difference between a gorgeous perfume and a detergent (Yes, Most of Mainstream Frags available at the moment smells like detergent, specially the stupid Sport Editions)
    Price is irrelevant in this case, for example: Amouge Reflection costs 220 Euros versus Le Male, 70 Euros.
    IMO Le Male is more expensive compared to Amouage Reflection, simply because, Reflection:

    1) Its Made of Top Raw Materials;
    2 ) You won't run a risk to to smell like 95% of the Male population on planet earth;
    3) It does not rely on a stupid, vulgar campaign showing semi naked man to sale the scent, as the scent here, is the star, and NOT a campaign manipulating the consumer;

    I believe we should not be restricting the price tag on Niche Frags, instead we should be asking ourselves:

    - Can I afford it?
    - Do I understand it?
    - Would such Frag inspire me?

    Art is priceless!
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 10th July 2011 at 10:06 PM.

  7. #7
    silentrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    They're obviously making a huge profit on their products, but if people are willing to pay it then that's what it's worth. Either way you look at it there's really no way to justify the cost of a $300 bottle of cologne or perfume.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Double posted
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 10th July 2011 at 10:00 PM.

  9. #9
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,302

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Less than $100
    Last edited by pluran; 12th September 2011 at 01:00 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I'm wondering, do niche houses have to charge more because they are niche. I mean because their audience is substantially lessened by the fact they are not in supermarkets and cheap places they must sell substantially less (correct me if I'm wrong)?

    Obviously one associates niche houses with better ingredients = more expensive. Is the fact they are more expensive to create the reason they aren't sold in the same places as the designer scents are? You'd of thought if the niche fragrance is of higher quality (non-offensive) and longer lasting, it'd sell more than it would do normally, selling at just above the designer price level at supermarkets and cheaper department stores.

    I mean like Nike sells more than Paul Smith? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

  11. #11

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I honestly think prices are more often set by the, "What can we get away with?" than by the use of "best raw materials." Amouage knows what they can get away with - a lot. I believe that Guerlain and Chanel use raw materials of a similar quality to many niche houses. So, IMHO, niche is often over priced.

  12. #12

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I'm wondering, do niche houses have to charge more because they are niche. I mean because their audience is substantially lessened by the fact they are not in supermarkets and cheap places they must sell substantially less (correct me if I'm wrong)?

    Obviously one associates niche houses with better ingredients = more expensive. Is the fact they are more expensive to create the reason they aren't sold in the same places as the designer scents are? You'd of thought if the niche fragrance is of higher quality (non-offensive) and longer lasting, it'd sell more than it would do normally, selling at just above the designer price level at supermarkets and cheaper department stores.

    I mean like Nike sells more than Paul Smith? (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    Perfume is a luxury that IMO serves to indulge yourself, In case a cheap fragrance fairly indulges your soul, perfect!
    The Supermarket saves all.
    Nobody is obliged to pay the prices asked by the Niche Houses, please correct me if I am wrong.

  13. #13
    silentrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I don't agree with the art theory at all. It's made in a laboratory. That's like calling Tylenol or Oxycodone a masterpiece. No alcohol is being made or any aging process to create a certain vintage. It's made by a chemist. Some are great at making drugs and medicine while others are good at making and understanding the complexities of fragrances. In a $300 fragrance everything is overpriced from the chemists to the package it's put in.

  14. #14
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,302

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    85% of the money is spent of packaging.

    Last edited by pluran; 12th September 2011 at 12:59 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I honestly think prices are more often set by the, "What can we get away with?" than by the use of "best raw materials." Amouage knows what they can get away with - a lot. I believe that Guerlain and Chanel use raw materials of a similar quality to many niche houses. So, IMHO, niche is often over priced.
    I believe Amouage is not intended to have 95% of the population on planet earth smelling Reflexion, therefore their price is kept high.
    In another hand Le Male is happily smiling at the 95% of the population on planet earth on the supermarket shelves.
    There are scents for everybody available, (fortunately).

  16. #16

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Please do yourself a favour and watch:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ng_the_Memory/

    Afterwards let us know what do you think about Jean Claude Ellena - IMO opinion he is, as talented as famous Painter or a poet, and YES Perfumery is an art, that brings back memories, that comforts your soul, if Perfumery is not an art, why are we here at Basenotes for? I am here to learn, to enhance my knowledge on scents, and to exchange ideas with different persons, even if such persons do not share the same ideology, to evolve!

  17. #17

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I don't agree with the art theory at all. It's made in a laboratory. That's like calling Tylenol or Oxycodone a masterpiece. No alcohol is being made or any aging process to create a certain vintage. It's made by a chemist. Some are great at making drugs and medicine while others are good at making and understanding the complexities of fragrances. In a $300 fragrance everything is overpriced from the chemists to the package it's put in.
    I believe calling a drug that has saved the lives of so many a masterpiece, can genuinely be called a masterpiece. Before antibiotics you would die of a mild infection! Now it takes a rather immunocompromised individual (or unlucky individual) to die of a mere infection.

    Louis Pasteur, John Tyndall and ultimately Alexander Fleming paving the way for further antimicrobials is genuine laboratory based genius and in my opinion far surpasses "masterpiece" status. It goes far further than ANY fragrance can ever reach. At the end of the day fragrance is fragrance, this "masterpiece" will go down in human history.

    This, I know, is strictly my opinion (as a biologist), but I see drug research, trial and release as an art form. It takes years to research a single pathological process contributing to a disease, it takes years to develop a substance to antagonise this process, it takes years and years and years to get this substance ready for human release. Proper art - in a lab..
    Last edited by boosh; 10th July 2011 at 11:16 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I believe calling a drug that has saved the lives of so many a masterpiece, can genuinely be called a masterpiece. Before antibiotics you would die of a mild infection! Now it takes a rather immunocompromised individual (or unlucky individual) to die of a mere infection.

    Louis Pasteur, John Tyndall and ultimately Alexander Fleming paving the way for further antimicrobials is genuine laboratory based genius and in my opinion far surpasses "masterpiece" status. It goes far further than ANY fragrance can ever reach. At the end of the day fragrance is fragrance, this "masterpiece" will go down in human history.

    This, I know, is strictly my opinion (as a biologist), but I see drug research, trial and release as an art form. It takes years to research a single pathological process contributing to a disease, it takes years to develop a substance to antagonise this process, it takes years and years and years to get this substance ready for human release. Proper art - in a lab..
    WORDS to live by I do love Perfumes;-) But also medicines, ))) Cheers!

  19. #19
    silentrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I believe calling a drug that has saved the lives of so many a masterpiece, can genuinly be called a masterpiece. Before antibiotics you would die of a mild infection! Now it takes a rather immunocompromised individual (or unlucky individual) to die of a mere infection.

    Louis Pasteur, John Tyndall and ultimately Alexander Fleming paving the way for further antimicrobials is genuine laboratory based genius and in my opinion far surpasses "masterpiece" status. It goes far further than ANY fragrance can ever reach. At the end of the day fragrance is fragrance, this "masterpiece" will go down in human history.
    Advances in medical science is how I refer to them. Same way that I look at fragrance as a science more than an art form. Same way someone that builds and designs a corvette is referred to as an engineer or a machinist. A Corvette is considered a machine while a Ferrari is considered a piece of art. Looks better, a little faster, but ultimately it's the tag you have to put on something because it makes society believe you own something superior.

  20. #20

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    's like calling Tylenol or Oxycodone a masterpiece.
    But some would say, with complete sincerity, that Oxycodone is a true masterpiece.

  21. #21
    silentrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    But some would say, with complete sincerity, that Oxycodone is a true masterpiece.
    It's not a masterpiece until you smash it and take off the time release. At that point you just call it "MASTER!"

  22. #22
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    109,571

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    There are Niche bottles that are overly priced $200+ and others that are low as $100 (or lower). What would you consider a respectable price for a Niche Fragrance?
    Perhaps somewhere in between.

  23. #23
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Should be free.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,446

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Anyone against buying a bottle of CREED?

  25. #25
    Dependent knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,965

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I honestly think prices are more often set by the, "What can we get away with?" than by the use of "best raw materials." Amouage knows what they can get away with - a lot. I believe that Guerlain and Chanel use raw materials of a similar quality to many niche houses. So, IMHO, niche is often over priced.
    Plus 1 Thanks, Kevin
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

  26. #26
    slvrbckgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The sunshine state
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    I really wont consider anything more than around $225 for 50ml, and even that is extreme. Anything above that is purely over priced in my opinion.

  27. #27

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's not a masterpiece until you smash it and take off the time release. At that point you just call it "MASTER!"
    I'm sorry if you can't see the art in science and fragrance. Where do you think these formulas (both scientific and fragrance related) come from? The biggest scientific breakthroughs were also creative breakthroughs, born of an artistic way of thinking. Our understanding of science didn't invent itself.

    Further, we don't even understand how smell works, much the less the almost infinite ways in which the 3000+ aromatic molecules we have access to can combine and interact with each other. When you sit down to formulate a scent, you're partaking in an artistic task. Yes, your knowledge of your materials comes in handy - just as a painter's knowledge of various techniques and brush strokes comes in handy - but the techniques and knowledge are only there to serve the creation of a piece of art.

    Honestly, in which ways does fragrance qualify more as art than science science than art (sorry for the original mistake)? (btw, it is not chemists who are making scents but perfumers, most of whom do have some understanding of chemistry but are not qualified chemists and a number of which have nothing but the most cursory undersanding of chemistry).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 11th July 2011 at 05:26 AM.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  28. #28

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    if you ask me they should be for free. I don't actually WANT to pay more for them, nor do I care if anyone else does.
    I don't care much for the exclusivity either. Anyone can enjoy the music enjoy, and I'm fine with it.

  29. #29

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    As to the question at hand - I'll pay up to $300 if I absolutely LOVE a scent and feel it is best of class. Would I rather get the scent for less? Of course. But I understand the art and, most especially, the difficulty in creating a truly wonderful scent, and if it just so happens that it's not only wonderful but I absolutely love it - I'll forego any trivial extras for a month or two and snag it.

    Pluran is right though in that most niche don't really use much better quality materials than designers. I've come across a number of niche scents that are decidedly inferior in every way. And for the most part, it's not the quality of ingredients you are paying for. I can almost guarantee you that 95% of niche scents cost less than $10 in ingredients, and 90% less than $5.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  30. #30

    Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    if you ask me they should be for free. I don't actually WANT to pay more for them, nor do I care if anyone else does.
    I don't care much for the exclusivity either. Anyone can enjoy the music enjoy, and I'm fine with it.
    This just stirred a random thought...

    The day when people can pirate perfume will be a frightening day!
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Similar Threads

  1. The top 3 best fragrance houses in your opinion
    By DavidBond007 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 4th February 2013, 05:59 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28th February 2011, 12:46 AM
  3. What's the best wood fragrance in your opinion?
    By Man_from_Shalimar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 18th January 2010, 09:13 PM
  4. im tkaing the costly, in my opinion neccesary plunge into the world of niche
    By avfcdamian92 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd February 2009, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000