Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $100

28 27.45%
  • $100 - $150

44 43.14%
  • $150 - $200

18 17.65%
  • Above $200

12 11.76%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.

Blog Entries

The internet world with Forum discussions is a little bit like "Vanity Fair". People will flaunt that they can afford an expensive Creed Aventus or a Nasomatto Afgano while poor students will ask, "give me advice for reasonable good smelling scents".
    It is a parade.
    The perfumers, hard-pressed with an unbelievable amount of competition, say, "I got expensive 'natural' ingredients, my hard work and ingenuity put into those bottles, therefore I must charge at least such and such."

Like the financial market, where money flows around the globe in constant movement, the perfumery market is similar. It is a market.

If you want it bad enough, you will pay for it, poor student or not. I have said before, if all the nonsense money spent on mediocre scents and erroneous blind buys were added up, the like amount would have bought a precious bottle of expensive niche perfumes.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    You know what you can't buy? Class. What an arrogant point of view to take.
    Ya, god forbid anyone with more money (not saying I have it) can buy something someone else can't.

How classless of me.

the whole niche bubble will implode in a couple of years, I guess (IMO)!!!
    just say no...to overpricing!

p.s. I could buy a Bond this afternoon..!
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post
    How much should you pay for a "niche" sports car? Is $200,000+ Too much for a Ferrari? Is 1MM+ too much for that Lamborghini?

Some would say yes because you can buy a ford festiva for 14,000. Or maybe a competitive 911 turbo or a vette. But why stop me from the exclusivity of buying something I deem special? Because some average joe that is a student, or works in customer service making $35,000 a year thinks 200 for a 1.7oz bottle is too much?

I say you can keep buying from the bargan bin at Kmart, but let those who have the means ( by luck, chance, or hardwork) buy a fragrance that not every student can afford. When I was a student, I drank natural ice beer...... Didn't cry about niche beer microbrews that cost more for a bottle than a case of keystone light.
    Your point of view is hilarious and you know what, a $200 fragrance bottle cannot give you any exclusivity or luxury, it's not nearly 1/3 the price of an iphone and do you know how many student who drink natural beer change their iphone everytime there's a new version comes out?
    Fragrances that cost a couple of hundred dollars is not that unaffortable for most people, the thing is whether they think they're worth it or not

It would be interesting to know the 'mark ups' involved?

Read in Deluxe something around 7 to 10 times (first mark-up 2.5 times, followed by 3 to 4 times that), but a bit fuzzy about that being to retailers or to consumers. That's pretty close to clothing, which can even get up to 12 times without looking at the high-end of branding. The cheaper something is to make, the less of a problem a high mark-up is for buyers, until a disruptive competitor comes in with a low price strategy. That risk doesn't seem very high in niche perfumery due to perceptions of value. Plenty of others do happen to enjoy frags from the drug store or big box retailer, so money is being made even if they don't capture the aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Your point of view is hilarious and you know what, a $200 fragrance bottle cannot give you any exclusivity or luxury, it's not nearly 1/3 the price of an iphone and do you know how many student who drink natural beer change their iphone everytime there's a new version comes out?
    Fragrances that cost a couple of hundred dollars is not that unaffortable for most people, the thing is whether they think they're worth it or not
    Maybe, but what percent of the gen pop do you think own a bottle of cologne that costs over 200.00?

I think it's way smaller than you think.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would not spend over $150 for a frag..
    I will only get a sample or decant of something that pricey

Maybe, but what percent of the gen pop do you think own a bottle of cologne that costs over 200.00?

I would warrant a guess of perhaps 5% if that. I think for the majority it is a after thought or a gift from friend or family.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I would warrant a guess of perhaps 5% if that. I think for the majority it is a after thought or a gift from friend or family.
    Ii have to travel a minimum of 2 hours even to get to a store that contains "higher end" scents.

My guess would be right where yours is.

Ii have to travel a minimum of 2 hours even to get to a store that contains "higher end" scents.

My guess would be right where yours is.
    Yes I don't live close to a metropolis like NY either but I still have excess to some higher end stores and of course the internet were I probably do most of my transactions due to the price points. But to try out scent I am rather limited and very few Niche houses are available to me in a store setting within a reasonable drive.

I too don't own any fragrance above $150 for the simple reason that all fragrances IMO won't cost above that price given any raw materials or composition skills put into it. So it is pure gimmick about exclusivity that the manufacturer put in for whoever believe it. I give you an example, Amouage is priced about $250 in Western countries but in the Middle East or some parts of Asia, it can be bought for around $150 in Amouage official boutiques so go figure
    Last edited by jasonx; 8th November 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

The way I see it today as of 2015, technically 2014 for another day, under the right circumstances I would be okay to pay more for certain fragrances. Some fragrances may warrant higher prices b/c of rarity or discontinued like Windsor and Vintage Tabarome. The very few fragrance houses that I do enjoy and am passionate about, to the point of collecting more than several bottles, I wouldn't mind paying more so as long as I feel comfortable wearing it in different occasions and won't offend others by wearing it. If I can justify it then that's all there's to it.
    Currently wearing: 31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I believe a price between $150-200 covers most fragrances costs, 3.3oz, including some nice presentations.
    Last edited by Beck; 31st December 2014 at 08:15 PM.

I really don't understand the economic logic behind the OP's original question.

How does one develop an opinion on how much something "should" cost? What is the point, when pricing strategies are deployed according to supply and demand?

The only point of such an undertaking, it seems to me, is to instead answer the question of "how much would some scents need to cost in order for us to feel as if we received value for our dollar?" The answer cannot be made generally, for every person and every fragrance.

Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Holy Grail Edition)

My Swap Thread: Nice Samples. Looking for a few cheapies..... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...n-Pure-Leather

Basenotes Junkie

Why does a Lanvin jacket cost xxxxx and a Hermes wallet cost yyyyyy and a Roja perfume cost zzzzz, who really cares...

If people spent more time worried about there own little lives and not what others do, the world would be a much nicer place.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    ...I think most of the people who answer are really answering the question "how much are you willing to pay for a niche fragrance?"
    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    These. ^ ^ ^ ^

Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage