Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $100

28 31.82%
  • $100 - $150

36 40.91%
  • $150 - $200

14 15.91%
  • Above $200

10 11.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How much should a Niche fragrance cost in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Another "niche" house, Parfums de Nicolai, offers many different sizes. 30, 100, 250 ml. They use top notch, raw materials, and Patricia de Nicolai is a true master perfumer. I honestly believe when the price gets over $100 for 50ml, there is very little correlation between the materials and price being asked. It's like the $5000 Handbag that Diamondflame mentions, the price is for admission into the exclusive club, not for the materials and labor.
    My mistake...I forgot about Nicolai and I don't know why as I own a 30ml bottle of the fabulous New York......

CREED, Amouage, Bond No. 9, Tom Ford, Killian, Le Labo are definitely not worth more than half of its actual price, that's a fact.

Not really a fact , just your opinion

Yeah, seriously.

I'm 110% satisfied with the price I paid for Amouage Epic and Tribute. Same with Tom Ford (oh god, heresy!) Would pay it again in a heartbeat, too.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Obviously easy to answer, as all niche scents are in the same size bottles, the shops apply the same profit margin, and the quality of all niche scents are exactly the same. So, 132,54 USD.

If I want it, I'll buy it, whatever the price.

However, ALL fragrances, designer or niche, are overpriced. Such is the nature of the product.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Banned

How much should a niche fragrance cost? How long is a piece of string? It's more a question of how much is the individual (or the consumer as a whole for that matter) willing to spend and how important the 'niche' status is to them. If no one bought from expensive niche houses (myself included) they would either be forced to lower the price to fall in line with the designers or close the house altogether. That's my input!

Perfumery is an. Art, therfor is priceless...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

I put $100-$150 just because I think that is enough to keep collectors happy yet people who could care less away.

BUT the reality is that fragrances should be priced however they want if people pay for them. A perfect example is professional sports. People claim that players are overpaid and stadium seats, concessions, etc are too expensive yet people buy season tickets and sell out alot of stadiums. The owners have cash to pay players for being the top of the their profession and they make millions off of those players. So the market bears what they are paid and what owners charge. The same goes here. It isn't like Creed is hurting when people here will buy 8.4 ounce special editions...multiple ones...just to have one. They know this and price it that way. Just like Vegas knows how to set odds where people are willing to put cash down. I didn't read the 2 pages so sorry if this overlaps anything.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Many fragrance houses are way overpriced. You can like the smell of any fragrance at any price, but some 300$ fragrances don't prove to have better quality raw materiales that others around the 100$-150$ pricetag.

Is up to anyone to judge if one is being ripped off or not, but a higher pricetag don't necessarily mean anything.

It depends on how much you like and willing to pay for what you like. For me, 100-150 is about the tolerable range coz I don't spend over $150 for just a fragrance.

...whatever potential customers are prepared to pay in order to make acceptable profit...!

GunnBBang

I don´t measure anything with its price.
    If I really like or love something, then I buy it and enjoy it. That´s it.

Creed Aventus and Himalaya are just more hated by Basenoters than beloved IMO.
    At least, there are lots of doubts.
    Are they worth the price?.. Who cares? I like it and enjoy it.
    When I wear them, I feel better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Niche perfumery is above all a business. Price the fragrances at whatever levels the market will bear. If you think it's overpriced, don't buy it. Look at the luxury brands. In the final analysis, a $5000 leather handbag is still a handbag. Don't make the mistake of bringing in rationale or logic into this picture, folks. We are living in a world where playing professional football is financially much more rewarding than working as firemen who put their own lives in mortal danger to save another.
    Bravo!

The profit margins are not as large as you might think. For example 1 oz of tuberose absolute is 1000.00 of course I dilute these absolutes to 10 % solutions but that's still 100.00 per ounce.

I make my perfume concentrates in 32 oz batches. My Orange blossom Jasmine tea fragrance is a blend of essential oils and aroma chemicals. I use green tea absolute, Black tea absolute, jasmine absolute, Neroli absolute, and orange flower absolute in this blend. To make a 32 oz cost me about $ 950.00 to make. I also make my own carrier base that cost about 8.00 per ounce. my bottles are 2.25 each and I hand paint every bottle so labor and materials is about 3.00 more per bottle. Then my labels are another .50 per bottle and the outside packaging is another 1.00 per bottle. so the final cost to produce 2 oz of this sent is about 35.00. Thank means is I want to stay in business I have to charge a wholesale price of 70.00. When you factor in overhead cost, that gives me a profit of about 7.00 per bottle.

Now the retailer also has to cover their over head expenses, so they will retail this same fragrance for 120-150 dollars per bottle.
    Be Individuated ! Get Haught !
    www.haughtspreengs.com

That is a nice example, but some would just say you are working inefficiently and should be cranking out more bottles. $28 of of overhead per bottle is pretty high, but if you produced ten times as many bottles, then it would be $2.80 each (if ten times the production would still be in the relevant range for your fixed costs) Plus you're not dealing with the volume pricing the large houses are. So if they are paying less in variable costs (labels and bottle painting are pretty solid bets on being cheaper), able to distribute fixed costs over more units, and move more inventory, and still charge $300? They probably have pretty good margins. Talking about natural vs synthetic seems to be part of it, but there's the blatant and really, really weird consumer behavior of demanding to pay more irrespective of material "quality" or cost. Perfume for some people is just a Veblen good, and they can't imagine smelling like the masses. How anyone can smell anything with their noses that high in the air is perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    ...Perfume for some people is just a Veblen good, and they can't imagine smelling like the masses. How anyone can smell anything with their noses that high in the air is perplexing.
    I imagine that for people who buy Veblen goods, they would extend this behavior to any product they can buy; TVs, cars, home entertainment systems, clothing, houses, etc.

Why do people wear fragrance?

1. To smell good. OK, everyone buy Aventus, GIT, Terre de Hermes, Hypnotic Poison, Shalimar, No. 22. (drawn from most popular on BN, not necessarily universally loved).
    2. To complete their image, convey their mood and/or personality, attract a mate. Whoops, not going to work if a lot of people around you are wearing the same fragrance (unless you are trying to fit in and blend into the crowd). Time to dig deeper.
    3. Because they are interested in the art and science of fragrance and they are connoisseurs of fragrance. Now we are in trouble, one niche scent won't do, gotta collect 'em all!

Oversimplified, obviously, but so is the writeoff of everyone who buys expensive niche scents as "nose in the air" snobs.

As in all luxury items, it's what the market will bear. What it "should" cost is completely subjective, as variety of the answers in this thread testify.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

The question is not "what should a scent cost" but what are you willing to pay.

What you are able to pay depends on the circumstances. Rent needs to be paid first. Perfumes next, then I eat. (Just joking.) We can talk about this until the moon turns blue, but that is what Basenotes discussions are for.

Currently I am examining both ends of the scale of offerings. The humble ALKEMIA perfume oils at $12./piece and the MDCI Paris highly priced elite appeal line. The nose decides.

One thing is a trap however. Money flows out of the wallet too easily in impulse buying habits. If one adds up what was spent on many "mediocre" scents, the same funds could easily be used for a strategic expensive purchase.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

It depends how deep your pockets are, how develop your nose, how striking(wow factor) is the scent to your nose...etc..etc..very, VERY subjective. They are scents that cost 330usd 345usd and I've bought them because they struck the right cord in my olfactory registries, obviously Answers for this thread will be all over the board and subjective.....Peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I imagine that for people who buy Veblen goods, they would extend this behavior to any product they can buy; TVs, cars, home entertainment systems, clothing, houses, etc.
    Perhaps, if they can afford to. If they can't, then there will be a justification for paying more in one product class while not doing so in another. In this case, something about the way they smell being more important that screen resolution, or upholstery in a vehicle, or thread count in clothes, etc. Hobbyists always find arguments to justify their spending. It is their money, they can do as they please, but they shouldn't really expect to be seen as overly compelling to anyone not already sharing in their preferences.

Why do people wear fragrance?

1. To smell good. OK, everyone buy Aventus, GIT, Terre de Hermes, Hypnotic Poison, Shalimar, No. 22. (drawn from most popular on BN, not necessarily universally loved).
    2. To complete their image, convey their mood and/or personality, attract a mate. Whoops, not going to work if a lot of people around you are wearing the same fragrance (unless you are trying to fit in and blend into the crowd). Time to dig deeper.
    3. Because they are interested in the art and science of fragrance and they are connoisseurs of fragrance. Now we are in trouble, one niche scent won't do, gotta collect 'em all!
    1. Or buy the best selling at the department store. Either case is an appeal to the masses. And you are correct, neither will end up with universal love, just maybe a respectably sized sample.
    2. Only if one can differentiate fragrance from clothes, cars, TVs, and everything else you listed. That is often the issue, people think they are creating a unique image by pulling from the rack and not going bespoke. That way they are unique, just like everyone else.
    3. If consumption is considered the appropriate way to express interest. They could study, apprentice, experiment, and if they feel the need to buy, stick with EOs and other items. Niche scents are not the only outlet, of course.

Oversimplified, obviously, but so is the writeoff of everyone who buys expensive niche scents as "nose in the air" snobs.
    That's fine, I won't put the onus on you to craft a dissertation. Somehow forum posts can be seen as equally relevant to others of the same word count, even if the ideas presented are not shared. Not everyone feels that way, of course.

As in all luxury items, it's what the market will bear. What it "should" cost is completely subjective, as variety of the answers in this thread testify.
    True, it is just a little sad that luxury as a term no longer truly indicates such. It was decided several decades ago that luxury should be accessible. Fragrances and other accessories are actually considered that conduit. They don't cost a lot to make, and despite their inflated prices, they are not relatively so expensive. Again goes back to that whole idea of being able to spend money on "luxurious" fragrances while not being able to afford the truly limited and pricey custom auto, home, or couture attire.

If there are a couple hundred gallons of niche frag X floating around different department stores, e-tailers, and outlets, then it isn't exclusive for any reason outside of price. Which is the misconception perpetuated. Just charging a lot doesn't indicate intrinsic value. But people settle for it readily because a higher price tag can be discounted and coupon-ed since the product really can be profitable at much lower prices. The psychology of getting something 'expensive' for a 'bargain' while the supplier still generates income is an acceptable scenario. As long as no one thinks about how they still paid several times above cost for an object that could be sold at that same distinct 'non-niche' price with no reduction of contribution margin into the negative. It could be profitably sold for 'cheap', but it isn't, just cause we agree to prop up the image.

As much as it is worth.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

Prices have been skyrocketing on all things as most major currencies are being debased. As a rule I would have thought from $150-$200 dollars
    But the term Niche must provide some level of mystery and not to be mass marketed. If the ingredients are par excellent I would gladly pay face value for something that should last me a lifetime.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 7th November 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Perhaps, if they can afford to. If they can't, then there will be a justification for paying more in one product class while not doing so in another.
    I should have been more specific, that's what I meant when I said any product they can buy, but I didn't explain it clearly.

That's fine, I won't put the onus on you to craft a dissertation. Somehow forum posts can be seen as equally relevant to others of the same word count, even if the ideas presented are not shared. Not everyone feels that way, of course.
    Thank you. A little snarky, but I agree you put more thought into your reply than I put into mine. And you've explained your position much better now, and I agree with much of what you are saying, although not the generally dismissive air towards those who choose to buy niche fragrances.

If consumption is considered the appropriate way to express interest. They could study, apprentice, experiment, and if they feel the need to buy, stick with EOs and other items. Niche scents are not the only outlet, of course.
    I'd like to know more about what you mean here. I consider the sampling of fragrances (and I mean across all price points and distribution channels) to be a form of study and experimentation. Not sure what you mean by apprentice; if you mean assist a perfumer, that would be a luxury itself for people who are already employed full time in other fields. And I am ignorant, what is an EO?

True, it is just a little sad that luxury as a term no longer truly indicates such. It was decided several decades ago that luxury should be accessible. Fragrances and other accessories are actually considered that conduit. They don't cost a lot to make, and despite their inflated prices, they are not relatively so expensive. Again goes back to that whole idea of being able to spend money on "luxurious" fragrances while not being able to afford the truly limited and pricey custom auto, home, or couture attire.
    I agree with this, it's pretty well documented.

If there are a couple hundred gallons of niche frag X floating around different department stores, e-tailers, and outlets, then it isn't exclusive for any reason outside of price. Which is the misconception perpetuated. Just charging a lot doesn't indicate intrinsic value. But people settle for it readily because a higher price tag can be discounted and coupon-ed since the product really can be profitable at much lower prices. The psychology of getting something 'expensive' for a 'bargain' while the supplier still generates income is an acceptable scenario. As long as no one thinks about how they still paid several times above cost for an object that could be sold at that same distinct 'non-niche' price with no reduction of contribution margin into the negative. It could be profitably sold for 'cheap', but it isn't, just cause we agree to prop up the image.
    Again, I generally agree, but the exclusivity is relative. If your social milieu consists of people who don't wear fragrance or wear popular department store fragrances, many niche fragrances will differentiate you from the crowd (that's me with my nose in the air?) If you are at a meeting of fellow BNers, then the stakes are higher, so to speak. And as for propping up the image, and to go back to an earlier analogy, is a Lexus really that much nicer than a Toyota? I don't know, I've never had a Lexus, but they don't look that special to me. I am again trying to equate other luxury goods as being equally overpriced and subject to hype. Sunglasses might be a better example than cars.

If your ultimate point is that niche fragrances are overpriced and the buyers are foolish to pay for exaggerated exclusivity, that's a defensible position, as you have demonstrated. But to disdain niche buyers and then also make fun of the intellects of other posters comes across as a bit nose in the air, too.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I'm not saying wanting something different is at all a negative. But there have been a few comments that niche has to cost more to make sure it is exclusive. But that's just not accounting for taste. People want to smell nice, and also not smell like anyone else. But if the fragrance you wear is appealing, then naturally more people might want to wear it. It is kind of like not wanting to wear the same dress as another lady at a party. Not entirely unreasonable, but again fragrance is at the accessory level and sales of handbags priced just like fragrance (or higher) far outstrip the sales of those dresses from the same design houses. And they look pretty similar/identical in most instances without causing the same distress over having exactly what someone else has.

Molecule 01 is always my favorite example. It is nowhere near natural, complex, or unique. It is also extremely easy to make. It costs over $100 US for a bottle. Paying that much is honestly confounding. It's niche, and it isn't cheap, but there's nothing exclusive or luxurious in the idea or execution.

EO - essential oil
    By study, I meant more of the biology and chemistry, not just smelling things. Exploring different scents is ultimately the sensory input desired, but pushing the limits of overall interest can be done in other ways.

... fragrance is at the accessory level and sales of handbags priced just like fragrance (or higher) far outstrip the sales of those dresses from the same design houses. And they look pretty similar/identical in most instances without causing the same distress over having exactly what someone else has.
    Handbags are interesting because there is a black market for knockoff designer handbags, and there are forums dedicated to discussing knockoff manufacturers, how to tell real from fake, and how to discreetly acquire the high-quality knockoffs. There are also rumors of "fakes" being made on the same lines as genuine bags, by the same employees, and of fakes that are better quality than the originals. As far as I know, this hasn't happened with fragrances (yet?)

Molecule 01 is always my favorite example. It is nowhere near natural, complex, or unique. It is also extremely easy to make. It costs over $100 US for a bottle. Paying that much is honestly confounding. It's niche, and it isn't cheap, but there's nothing exclusive or luxurious in the idea or execution.
    I find the idea of buying a fancy-looking bottle of Iso E Super to be a head-scratcher, myself.

EO - essential oil
    By study, I meant more of the biology and chemistry, not just smelling things. Exploring different scents is ultimately the sensory input desired, but pushing the limits of overall interest can be done in other ways.
    Thank you for elaborating. My study of chemistry did not go past first-year college level. I have recently been thinking I want to acquire samples, or at least go somewhere to sniff various popular aromachemicals, resins (the ones that haven't been banned, anyway) and other ingredients to improve my ability to identify scent components.

How much should you pay for a "niche" sports car? Is $200,000+ Too much for a Ferrari? Is 1MM+ too much for that Lamborghini?

Some would say yes because you can buy a ford festiva for 14,000. Or maybe a competitive 911 turbo or a vette. But why stop me from the exclusivity of buying something I deem special? Because some average joe that is a student, or works in customer service making $35,000 a year thinks 200 for a 1.7oz bottle is too much?

I say you can keep buying from the bargan bin at Kmart, but let those who have the means ( by luck, chance, or hardwork) buy a fragrance that not every student can afford. When I was a student, I drank natural ice beer...... Didn't cry about niche beer microbrews that cost more for a bottle than a case of keystone light.

There is no fair way to answer this question. In a perfect world, all designer perfumes would cost 3X the price of the juice, bottle and packaging, and niche perfumes would cost 5X the price of the juice, bottle and packaging. That would put most designer scents in the $15 to $30 range, and niche would sell between $20 to $100.

But prices don't work that way. Perfumery is a business and prices are determined by what customers will pay. Established perfumers and, even more so, established perfume houses know their customers well enough to know how to price their perfumes. Perfumers who are just getting started seem to often price their perfumes low in order to get any sales at all, but then their prices creep higher and higher until their business is profitable and stable.

Only you can decide if the price of a niche perfume is more than you're willing to pay. If a niche house prices a perfume higher than much of their customer base is willing to pay, it won't sell and their business will fail. I wish niche perfumes were cheaper. I'd buy more!!! But it's worth noting that part of what niche perfumers are selling is the exclusivity that comes with buying a high priced luxury item.

If you think niche perfume is a ripoff, don't buy any. Problem solved.

In my opinion, there's only one way to determine if a bottle of perfume is worth its price: you smell it and decide if you'd pay that much to buy it.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post
    Some would say yes because you can buy a ford festiva for 14,000. Or maybe a competitive 911 turbo or a vette. But why stop me from the exclusivity of buying something I deem special?
    True to some extent, but the car analogy generally falls apart because there is a measurable performance difference and sometimes some proprietary technology involved. But the 911 Turbo is a pretty good example. The turbo version of the 996 style Porsche flagship sold for $100K for a while, and completely smoked Ferraris at 2-3 times the price. It was a genuine supercar, gave superior performance, had parity or superiority in materials and construction, had newer technology, and still managed to be cheaper. It was one of those instances where one group of people claimed a higher position based on what they could spend, and another claimed a higher position based on what they didn't spend. There was no 'bang for the buck' involved, they got better performance for less money, which they thought made them smarter. The other group thought they were smarter in buying into a higher level of exclusivity that separated them from the more affordable alternative, even if it meant they didn't trip the 1320 as fast nor hit 100-0 in as short a distance. Same held true for the Viper and Z06 Vette when compared to plenty of street legal supercars outside of old Grand Touring Group production minimums. It comes down to why you think you need to spend money. Is it for a certain value proposition, or is it for status.

How much should you pay for a "niche" sports car? Is $200,000+ Too much for a Ferrari? Is 1MM+ too much for that Lamborghini?

Some would say yes because you can buy a ford festiva for 14,000. Or maybe a competitive 911 turbo or a vette. But why stop me from the exclusivity of buying something I deem special? Because some average joe that is a student, or works in customer service making $35,000 a year thinks 200 for a 1.7oz bottle is too much?

I say you can keep buying from the bargan bin at Kmart, but let those who have the means ( by luck, chance, or hardwork) buy a fragrance that not every student can afford. When I was a student, I drank natural ice beer...... Didn't cry about niche beer microbrews that cost more for a bottle than a case of keystone light.
    You know what you can't buy? Class. What an arrogant point of view to take.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

50 ml £20, 100 ml £40.

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.

Blog Entries

The internet world with Forum discussions is a little bit like "Vanity Fair". People will flaunt that they can afford an expensive Creed Aventus or a Nasomatto Afgano while poor students will ask, "give me advice for reasonable good smelling scents".
    It is a parade.
    The perfumers, hard-pressed with an unbelievable amount of competition, say, "I got expensive 'natural' ingredients, my hard work and ingenuity put into those bottles, therefore I must charge at least such and such."

Like the financial market, where money flows around the globe in constant movement, the perfumery market is similar. It is a market.

If you want it bad enough, you will pay for it, poor student or not. I have said before, if all the nonsense money spent on mediocre scents and erroneous blind buys were added up, the like amount would have bought a precious bottle of expensive niche perfumes.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    You know what you can't buy? Class. What an arrogant point of view to take.
    Ya, god forbid anyone with more money (not saying I have it) can buy something someone else can't.

How classless of me.

the whole niche bubble will implode in a couple of years, I guess (IMO)!!!
    just say no...to overpricing!

p.s. I could buy a Bond this afternoon..!

Your point of view is hilarious and you know what, a $200 fragrance bottle cannot give you any exclusivity or luxury, it's not nearly 1/3 the price of an iphone and do you know how many student who drink natural beer change their iphone everytime there's a new version comes out?
    Fragrances that cost a couple of hundred dollars is not that unaffortable for most people, the thing is whether they think they're worth it or not

It would be interesting to know the 'mark ups' involved?

Read in Deluxe something around 7 to 10 times (first mark-up 2.5 times, followed by 3 to 4 times that), but a bit fuzzy about that being to retailers or to consumers. That's pretty close to clothing, which can even get up to 12 times without looking at the high-end of branding. The cheaper something is to make, the less of a problem a high mark-up is for buyers, until a disruptive competitor comes in with a low price strategy. That risk doesn't seem very high in niche perfumery due to perceptions of value. Plenty of others do happen to enjoy frags from the drug store or big box retailer, so money is being made even if they don't capture the aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Your point of view is hilarious and you know what, a $200 fragrance bottle cannot give you any exclusivity or luxury, it's not nearly 1/3 the price of an iphone and do you know how many student who drink natural beer change their iphone everytime there's a new version comes out?
    Fragrances that cost a couple of hundred dollars is not that unaffortable for most people, the thing is whether they think they're worth it or not
    Maybe, but what percent of the gen pop do you think own a bottle of cologne that costs over 200.00?

I think it's way smaller than you think.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would not spend over $150 for a frag..
    I will only get a sample or decant of something that pricey

Maybe, but what percent of the gen pop do you think own a bottle of cologne that costs over 200.00?

I would warrant a guess of perhaps 5% if that. I think for the majority it is a after thought or a gift from friend or family.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I would warrant a guess of perhaps 5% if that. I think for the majority it is a after thought or a gift from friend or family.
    Ii have to travel a minimum of 2 hours even to get to a store that contains "higher end" scents.

My guess would be right where yours is.

Ii have to travel a minimum of 2 hours even to get to a store that contains "higher end" scents.

My guess would be right where yours is.
    Yes I don't live close to a metropolis like NY either but I still have excess to some higher end stores and of course the internet were I probably do most of my transactions due to the price points. But to try out scent I am rather limited and very few Niche houses are available to me in a store setting within a reasonable drive.

I too don't own any fragrance above $150 for the simple reason that all fragrances IMO won't cost above that price given any raw materials or composition skills put into it. So it is pure gimmick about exclusivity that the manufacturer put in for whoever believe it. I give you an example, Amouage is priced about $250 in Western countries but in the Middle East or some parts of Asia, it can be bought for around $150 in Amouage official boutiques so go figure
    Last edited by jasonx; 8th November 2013 at 02:31 PM.