Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste vs. Dior Homme & Antaeus vs Rive Gauche ?

I want to compare at next following scents and need your Decisions & Opinions to:

1) Egoiste Chanel (Woody-Spicy) vs. Dior Homme (Woody - Floral musk) ?

2) Antaeus Chanel (Woody-Chypre) vs. Rive Gauche YSL (Aromatic-Rustic) ?

3) Thank you :--)
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Default Re: Egoiste vs. Dior Homme & Antaeus vs Rive Gauche ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    I want to compare at next following scents and need your Decisions & Opinions to:

1) Egoiste Chanel (Woody-Spicy) vs. Dior Homme (Woody - Floral musk) ?

2) Antaeus Chanel (Woody-Chypre) vs. Rive Gauche YSL (Aromatic-Rustic) ?

3) Thank you :--)
    I wouldn't want to be without either of the 4 scents. All masterpieces in my opinion.

gupts

Yes i agree, but i have to decide cause i can not buy all 4 at the same time.

Now i did test dior homme and Rive gauche at my skin and antaeus & egoiste at card.

i have really a problem to smell dior homme at my skin but at the card there is no problem and i like it.

Find Egoiste at the card similar to D&G Pour Homme, but D&G is lighter.

Rive Gauche at my other arm is ( very linear ) and have similaritys with Lagerfeld Photo which i did use a time ago, longtime. Need a sample to compare them directly. Will try rive gauche at a card also.

When i come to antaeus which i couldnt test at my skin until now ( 2 x card ) i find it at the beginning very powerhouse but after few minutes its very sexy, my favorite until now ( which i generally would use at formal or special occasions ). Similarity to YSL M7 is there for me but m7 is sweeter and not so rich.

you see i need your opinions to decide which & When ?

Egoiste IMHO smells nothing like D & G.... smell it on your skin...to me its more along the same vein as Michael kors and Opium EDP similar notes, but not identical...and yes I would not be without any of them either!

I really like all four, but if I had to choose between the two:
    1) Dior Homme. I wore it today and it was wonderful. Egoiste is delicious, but can be a bit much at times. I can't see me wearing it during the summer months.

2) Antaeus. No competition, really.

3) You're welcome.
    You are not your perfume.

Is it possible what you tested was Platinum Egoiste? It has a silver cap instead of black plastic made to look like wood. Egoiste goes slightly sweet on my skin, but for the most part, goes by unnoticed. I would have to say Dior Homme in this contest, because DH is a special kind of radiance that works really well for me. As for Antaeus v. Rive Gauche, Antaeus hands freakin' down. Antaeus is one of those scents that they keep trying to water down and bland out, but it's nearly impossible to make such a perfect scent imperfect.

Rive Gauche is background noise, while Antaeus is a light orchestra playing "Malestrom" while you walk towards someone. When you reach out to shake their hand, the crescendo begins to swell, and the boat beneath you slightly pitches upwards in anticipation of the coming wave.

As your hand touches theirs, you completely lose reality as the ship hits the top of the wave coinciding with the Fortississimo of the orchestra culminating in the great resounding roll of the timpani. When the orchestra cuts out, and all that is left is the reverberations of the timpani, you find yourself perched between this wave and the bottom of the earth. Your ship is in perfect balance between death and deliverance. Only the smallest wind would push it either way, and you know that the simple action of breathing could affect the outcome in a very negative way, so you hold your breath. What grand scheme could possibly bring you to such a point of opposite ends? None that you think of besides the chaos theory even begin to explain this bizarre yet beautiful occurrence of most portentous outcomes. Both promise escape, yet only one promises that twisted gift of life. The ability to feel pain is the only real indication that we are alive at all, and yet we avoid it our entire lives, apparently afraid of the never ending immurement of death. So here, you meet someone who has perched themselves at the pinnacle of living, that person who realizes death may only be an inch away, and choosing anything other than perfection would be a denial of the truth that you are alive. Antaeus.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

@ Pugsley_f5

You are right, I think the similarity is in the sweetness.

@ Nicolas V

Yes i think so too, egoiste is more for winter & dior homme for summer too. Interesting thing is that you have dior and antaeus in your current five.

@ _R$_

No it was Egoiste and not Platinum and both at a card.

you say Antaeus and dior homme too.

I am not sure with dior homme but with antaeus until now.

Not that I would get all dimensions of it but - chapeau, Rich !
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I don't usually give negative views but I used to own Egoiste and Antaeus and got rid of both. I hated the first 30 minutes of Egoiste, but the drydown was nice. I loved the first 2 hours of Antaeus but the drydown was unbearable on me. I wanted to love both.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme is far from background noise if I may be allowed to say. It is a statement of calm and assured masculinity stripped to necessity and nothing else. I feel confident and laid back with this stuff on. With Antaeus and Egoiste, I felt a little stuffy and wanting of validation when I wondered if I deserved it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I don't usually give negative views but I used to own Egoiste and Antaeus and got rid of both. I hated the first 30 minutes of Egoiste, but the drydown was nice. I loved the first 2 hours of Antaeus but the drydown was unbearable on me. I wanted to love both.With Antaeus and Egoiste, I felt a little stuffy and wanting of validation when I wondered if I deserved it at all.
    Not a fan of beeswax, I guess

I somewhat agree - these two fragrances wear better in cooler weather.

I prefer Dior Homme over either (but I like Egoiste more than Trumpers Sandalwood, which is similar)
    -

Yes zz, I agree Dior Homme is better than either IMHO. Everyone talks about Dior Homme's opening (good and bad), but the drydown with the vetiver and leather coming in on the mix is pretty spectacular. I get this sueded haze of yumminess that floats just above my skin for hours..and hours.

I'll go ahead and agree with the Dior Homme advocates here. Jock, your use of "sueded haze of yumminess" to describe it couldn't get any more accurate and evocative of the feel of the scent.

Antaeus and Rive Gauche are also very nice (I'd give the slight edge to Antaeus though) in a more manly, rich, way. I feel the same way about Egoiste that you do: horrid opening that isn't worth waiting through to get to the nice drydown.

If I had to pick two: Dior Homme and Antaeus.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yes i agree now with dior & antaeus too.

Rive Gauche is definetely out now & i dont think that i could like it in winter. Therefore i have antaeus and for summer i want to buy also another woody-chypre: Kiton Men.

So my buying List now is:

1) Kiton Men ( summertime ) will also test then kiton black & paco xs black
    2) Iceberg Twice ( waiting for special offer )
    3) Dior Homme ( want to test it at last on my neck )
    4) Antaeus ( waiting for winter )

thx @ everybody ;--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 7th June 2007 at 07:32 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

In my opinion:

Dior Homme and Chanel Antaeus win.

Dior Homme & Rive Gauche for me. I own 3 out of the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    In my opinion:

Dior Homme and Chanel Antaeus win.
    Same here
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I would say the two Chanels win hands down here. No contest.

Have and love all four, but I'll also go with the two Chanels.

Banned

Egoiste is a frag I like a lot. Unfortunately, the modern EDT has a substantially weakened base, so 2-4 hours is the best mileage I get, though the scent during that time period is unbelievable. Someone told me they could smell me from their idling car, gas fumes and all, as I walked by (about ten feet away).

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I would say the two Chanels win hands down here. No contest.
    Agreed. The Chanels win!