Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Apres L'Ondee: A men's scent?

I always got a "barbershop" impression from Apres L'Ondee, with its herbs and florals.

Any men on the boards wear this classic scent from 1906? This was made just two years after the venerable Mouchoir de Monsieur.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee: A men's scent?

I don't but my wife wore it at one time and liked it quite a lot. Over time her taste just changed and doesn't wear it much anymore, although I think she still has it.

If I had some I'd certainly wear it. It seems pretty gender neutral to me and it's so beautifully done.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Basenotes Institution

Yes!

Before I owned a bottle of Apres l'Ondee (which I already used up and I'm looking to replace it now) I was casually interested in heliotrope since I didn't really know what it smelled like. I went around ordering and swapping samples with many Basenoters to try and figure out the note and really understand it. I also did what a few recommended: I sampled mimosa prominent fragrances too, as the notes of heliotrope and mimosa are sometimes used interchangeably and they sort of smell alike.

On my 'heliotrope/mimosa' marathon, my husband also bought some bath gel from Claus Porto that smelled like almond and heliotrope (I can't remember the name now) but it totally clicked with me and all of a sudden I fell in love with heliotrope. It was shortly after this that I bought a used bottle of ALO here on BN and it has been a BIG LOVE ever since.

This is one Guerlain that I have to DOUSE myself with to get it to stick. I don't find it in the least feminine, it smells clean, 'barbershop-esque', crisp and extremely comforting. I prefer wearing it in pajamas, but I can also rock it at the office (Casual Friday, for instance) or in front of the TV when I'm in 'couch potato' mode.

This is also one scent that led me to other scents 'inspired' by ALO, like L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle, Quand Vient la Pluie by Guerlain (sort of a gourmand, praline version of ALO) and Kiss Me Tender by Parfums de Nicolai - that I have fallen in love with also.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I wear this one (EDT) quite often, mostly for nights out. It's a singular masterpiece worthy of anyone's skin, man or woman.
    Griff

Love it.

It's a 'quiet' scent and if I have a quiet afternoon / evening at home and want to listen to some Debussy or read it's perfect for me in that sort of mood. It really is of another time, IMO. It's contemplative. Not one I wear out much for the simple reason that it get's lost in the noise. I tried a little of the Parfum (a kind gift from another basenoter) and it is pretty amazing - it has a much less wistful feeling, a bit nutty and leans more in the direction of Quand Vient la Pluie, Tonka Imperiale and even (at a stretch) Shalimar, in terms of depth and complexity - 'subtly robust'

I consider Apres l'Ondee a masterpiece of early impressionistic perfumery, along with L'Heure Bleue - they both take me straight to Paris at the start of 20th Century.

I would love to have this one. It's too expensive!!

It is a beaten phrase here, but I definitely think this is beyond gender classification. It's like a painting. However, I get much more emotional about L'Heure Bleue. Its (ALO) quietness is both fitting and frustrating to me.

I love l'heure bleue but from my memory i recall it to be very feminine. Would you say it is gender neutral?
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

I don't find it particularly "barbershop"... nor especially masculine, but I do enjoy wearing it. Beneath the abundant dewy florals and aromatic components is a unique facet that reminds me of the smell of dried sea salt on skin.

Dutchy, I think L'Heure Bleue's abstract 'picture' would make it beyond gender classification. However, I think it is fair to say that the overall vibe is what you would possibly call feminine, if you care about this. If you go and sniff the EdT tester at a shop, this will give you the most extreme variation with its powderiness. Overall with LHB, the spicier the easier to wear for me (PdT in particular). The version that moves me most is the EdP in the black-golden box (it's got all the 'drama' and spice) and I don't know, unfortunately, whether it is identical with today's EdP. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM HERE?

This would be my next purchase if I could find it - I've worn it several times from samples and it's one of my favorites.
    Weak though, sadly...

Dependent

If you want to order it online, do a search on Google Shopping .... looks to be about $100 a bottle

I wear it and enjoy it. In terms of masculine/feminine, it's more on the feminine side, but not definitively so, and it was created so long ago that it doesn't have a lot to do with contemporary gender distinctions. I've only tried the EDT, not the parfum.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Thank you all for your varied comments.

I do agree that it's unisex, and I saw it discussed on Badger and Blade.

True--one needs to douse oneself, and I wish this came in an EDP. I find it a great summer scent that lasts better on fabrics than skin. It's very fresh and not like your aquatic you find everywhere--more herbal.

BTW, the boutiques usu. carry this, though it's not carried in department stores. The Las Vegas boutique has it for order at 1-866-409-6110. This is one of my classic mainstays that I had long forgotten.

i have also revisited my love of L'Heure Bleue in the EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.