Code of Conduct

Thread: Old Spice help

Default Old Spice help

(LONG VERSION for short version scroll down. You may want to)

So here's my story. I've always been an Old Spice guy. I for whatever reason have strong brand loyalties to brands I feel are part of my personal image. I only wear Levi's and Converse All Stars ect. But I only ever used Old Spice deodorants ans anti perspiratants. I went through several scents finally landing on "Original" the problem is there are lots of "Originals" in the old spice line. The original deodorant, red zone, and high endurance all smell alike but different. I thought to myself the original "Original" must be either the after shave or the cologne. I still have the mental image of those two white glass bottles standing side by side in the bathroom of the big old husband of the lady who used to babysit me and my brother after school while my parents were at work. I decided this should be my signature sent. I looked it up, they both came out the same year. I don't shave so that ruled out the after shave. I set out to get some cologne. I actually work in what stores call the HBC segment (Health Beauty Cosmetic) making energy shots so in reading industry trades I had read an article about Old Spice switching from glass to plastic. I thought it would be cool to get a classic old bottle to put this classic scent in. In reading about the old bottles I learned that the Old Spice recipe changed in 1990. I thought is was kind of stupid to put this new recipe juice in my cool vintage bottle. I went on a bunch of sites looking for the recipe.I found a lot of people complaining about the change. Claiming that dollar store brands and Indian versions were better and more authentic. I finally found a list of ingredients (orange, lemon, spices, clary sage, aldehydes, cinnamon, carnation, geranium, jasmine, heliotrope, pimento berry, vanilla, musk, cedar wood, frankincense, benzoin, tonka bean, ambergris.) but no amounts. I decided that neither dollar stores or India would use real ambergris or deer musk. I wanted to make my own. I searched for a few months getting a lot of the same. I sent emails to historians and collectors to no avail. I finally came across Basenotes and some posts by bottoni. Bottoni seemed to be on the same quest with some success. I joined only to realize bottoni hasn't logged on for a while. I PM'd him and nothing. I posted asking for his contact info but no answers. So now I'm hoping someone else might have a good idea that can help out. Any leads will help but I'd really love a solid recipe using the above ingredients (even if it isn't from "offical" sources) I'd even like to replace the aldehydes with natural fixatives (maybe increasing ambergris or adding different types of musk) Anyone able to help.

(SHORT VERSION)

I'd really love to make a vintage Old Spice clone using this list of ingredients, orange, lemon, spices, clary sage, aldehydes, cinnamon, carnation, geranium, jasmine, heliotrope, pimento berry, vanilla, musk, cedar wood, frankincense, benzoin, tonka bean, ambergris, perhaps eliminating the artificial. Bottoni seemed to be the guy to ask but he isn't around. Does any have his recipe or one like it?

Default Re: Old Spice help

Does anyone at least have a book they can recommend or anything? Any wild guesses at the amounts for these ingredients? Any friend's cousin's roommate's brother's who may know?

Anybody with a Oriental cologne recipe that maybe smells like Old Spice from 10 feet away?

If you do decide to start making your own version of old spice, prepare yourself for a steep learning curve and a lot of frustration. my *honest* advice is that its much easier to find it vintage or learn to love what they sell nowadays, or find something else similar. Its not particularly easy to just whip up a batch of old spice on your first effort. I could also point out that whatever you make won't be Old Spice anyway, so you're not being "brand loyal". THere are thousands of other scents commercially available that you will like, you just need to open your mind.

Pawful, I really had little intention of trying to recreate the formula myself. I was really just grasping at straws for anyone to acknowledge me at that point. Really I just want bottoni's or the original formula but no seems to have it. As for brand loyalty maybe I should just say I'm loyal to the image. If someone could make me some badass handmade Italian leather Chuck Taylors I would buy them even if they weren't really made in a Converse sweat shop.

Post Thanks / Like

those aren't the real ingredients. those are the 'notes'. they are a marketing technique. forget about the romantic ideas of ambergris and musk.

go on ebay and search (i wrote 'google') vintage old spice. you will find it, and it can be bought for little money. the stuff keeps well, and is very good protected because the bottles shield off light (the worst enemy of perfume). look for the exact same bottles as you remember. check that they're full, people sell empty bottles to collectors.

good luck!

Thanks gido. So you really think it never contained ambergris, even in the 30's and 40's?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vodka,
    You might want to try something totally different: there is a scented geranium called "Old Spice". It smells great! Perhaps there is a way to implement this in an oil. I don't make my own perfumes, just was curious about this part of the forums.

I'll check that out

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    (LONG VERSION for short version scroll down. You may want to)

So here's my story. I've always been an Old Spice guy. I for whatever reason have strong brand loyalties to brands I feel are part of my personal image. I only wear Levi's and Converse All Stars ect. But I only ever used Old Spice deodorants ans anti perspiratants. I went through several scents finally landing on "Original" the problem is there are lots of "Originals" in the old spice line. The original deodorant, red zone, and high endurance all smell alike but different. I thought to myself the original "Original" must be either the after shave or the cologne. I still have the mental image of those two white glass bottles standing side by side in the bathroom of the big old husband of the lady who used to babysit me and my brother after school while my parents were at work. I decided this should be my signature sent. I looked it up, they both came out the same year. I don't shave so that ruled out the after shave. I set out to get some cologne. I actually work in what stores call the HBC segment (Health Beauty Cosmetic) making energy shots so in reading industry trades I had read an article about Old Spice switching from glass to plastic. I thought it would be cool to get a classic old bottle to put this classic scent in. In reading about the old bottles I learned that the Old Spice recipe changed in 1990. I thought is was kind of stupid to put this new recipe juice in my cool vintage bottle. I went on a bunch of sites looking for the recipe.I found a lot of people complaining about the change. Claiming that dollar store brands and Indian versions were better and more authentic. I finally found a list of ingredients (orange, lemon, spices, clary sage, aldehydes, cinnamon, carnation, geranium, jasmine, heliotrope, pimento berry, vanilla, musk, cedar wood, frankincense, benzoin, tonka bean, ambergris.) but no amounts. I decided that neither dollar stores or India would use real ambergris or deer musk. I wanted to make my own. I searched for a few months getting a lot of the same. I sent emails to historians and collectors to no avail. I finally came across Basenotes and some posts by bottoni. Bottoni seemed to be on the same quest with some success. I joined only to realize bottoni hasn't logged on for a while. I PM'd him and nothing. I posted asking for his contact info but no answers. So now I'm hoping someone else might have a good idea that can help out. Any leads will help but I'd really love a solid recipe using the above ingredients (even if it isn't from "offical" sources) I'd even like to replace the aldehydes with natural fixatives (maybe increasing ambergris or adding different types of musk) Anyone able to help.

(SHORT VERSION)

I'd really love to make a vintage Old Spice clone using this list of ingredients, orange, lemon, spices, clary sage, aldehydes, cinnamon, carnation, geranium, jasmine, heliotrope, pimento berry, vanilla, musk, cedar wood, frankincense, benzoin, tonka bean, ambergris, perhaps eliminating the artificial. Bottoni seemed to be the guy to ask but he isn't around. Does any have his recipe or one like it?
    A book called "Aromatherapy: A complete guide to the healing art" listed the notes in Old Spice:

Top Notes (5% to 20%):
    Orange
    Lemon
    Anise
    Clary Sage

Middle Notes (50% to 80%):
    Cinnamon
    Geranium
    Jasmine
    Pimento Berry

Base Notes (5% to 20%):
    Vanilla
    Cedarwood
    Frankincense
    Benzoin

-----------------------
    Alcohol Concentrations
    Eau de Cologne: 3-5%
    Splash Cologne: 1-3%

Does that help?? If you've figured it out let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say get an old bottle from eBay (or in the cheaper stores or, if you're in or near NYC, you could check Canal St.--anywhere where the stock is old), and if you want to really spend money, get it GC'd (I think it's possible to have this done by a lab; I've never actually looked into it) and then have a chemist re-create it if possible.

On the other hand, maybe you can find a fragrance oil 'in the style of' Old Spice.

Or you could get the latest version of Old Spice an tinker.

Or you could get a high-end ambery musk scent, or even make something in the direction of Old Spice rather than try to duplicate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly the advice to follow the formula in the book "Aromatherapy" is a waste of time as it implies that Old Spice was an all natural fragrance; it wasn't. I very much doubt if you will be able to recreate the smell of the original Old Spice, simply by smelling it, much better to try and get hold of some.

Post Thanks / Like

what david says. entering "vintage old spice cologne" in ebay search should do the trick. make sure you don't get an empty bottle, though. ;)
    Last edited by gido; 28th December 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Shulton Formulation era is what you seem to seek I think...

I doubt there are *ANY* natural items in the formula, it is to costly to make it with them included.

Old Spice get the rap of being one of the worst frags ever made, but popular it was... Just like Axe now, I suppose..

But looking through my sources, I didn't find a formula to send you.

And Being that I am a perfumer, I'd recommend that you stick with being a buyer and enjoyer... instead of trying to make it for yourself... since all those "Notes" in the fragrance are descriptors, and not actual contents. Yes, maybe 80 years ago, they might have used a tiny bit of ambergris. And they probably even used some naturals too, but not now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there were, and still are, many naturals in Old Spice. Very hard, if not down right impossible to duplicate by nose alone. For the record I think Old Spice (original) was a masterpiece.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    Thanks gido. So you really think it never contained ambergris, even in the 30's and 40's?
    Real deer musk was still in widespread use at this time, but a fragrance as cheap as Old Spice almost certainly wasn't made with real ambergris even then.

I'm afraid you are not the first, and no doubt won't be the last, to be fooled into thinking that 'notes' are the same as 'ingredients'. I regularly get requests to re-create old perfumes or make cheaper versions of new ones by people who triumphantly tell me it'll be easy because they've got the ingredients list . . . and equally frequently I have to disappoint them.

Most commercial fine fragrances have between 50 and 150 ingredients and even in the 40s most of those were synthetics, now 95% are synthetic with the main naturals still in use being the citrus elements and trace items.

I'm sorry to report that my sources didn't yield a formula for Old Spice either. I think your best bet is to buy vintage as guido says.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.