Code of Conduct

Default L'Essence de Must de Cartier

Hello Basenoters,

I have looked at the reviews and there doesn't seem like much info on this fragrance.

Could any of you who have this please give some thoughts? Is it worth a bottle and can you describe the fragrance with the notes? When would you wear it?

Thanks to all,

Koala.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: L'Essence de Must de Cartier

I've been curious about this one for a long time. Locally, testers of Must Homme were all over the place, but not this one. I wouldn't blind buy it because the prices were never low. I also feared the grapefruit, patchouli, and vetiver notes, which bother me if too strong.

I've been curious about it as well. I didn't want to buy blind so thought I'd ask here. I think I can get a bottle for $60 for a 50ml.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I think I can get a bottle for $60 for a 50ml.
    That's not a bad price. I have this in my collection but haven't worn it in eons so don't remember it that well. If I recall correctly, this is the more concentrated version of the scent. The one with the darker top than the ordinary EDT.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I have only sampled this fragrance once. Perhaps I will sample it again tonight just to make sure I get a better read on the fragrance.

From my first sampling, I did like Must L'Essence. It seemed to come across as more powdery that Must de Cartier pour Homme, which I own. It is obviously an oriental and does seem to have better potency that the first Must de Cartier pour Homme. The opening is not as citrussy as well, nor do I notice the vetiver note in the drydown like Must de Cartier pour Homme.

Perhaps it is in the Jaipur Homme genre ? It seemed nice, but bottles for this are not easy ( for me) to come by at a good price where I am.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I may have to go for it. I just hate buying blind though!

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to go for it. I just hate buying blind though!
    You don't really have to, as there are off site sample dealers to go to. I usually get a bunch of samples and aquaint myself with them before buying.....actually thats a lie. I sample once, get excited, then buy immediatley.

I'm not surprised that this thread has not gotten more reponses. There really is not alot of variety on this "fragrance" forum.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Are you already familiar with the original Must?

I was once interested the Essence version, that I liked the original enough that I just got it instead, and never ended up smelling Essence. I would imagine they are fairly similar though, so if you like the original, and you think a little extra vetiver and spice would be nice, I think it would be a fairly safe buy.

Plus, I have had uniformly positive experiences with Cartier scents. Hmmm, maybe I'll put this one back on my list!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

I`m also very curious about the essence version. I think Must du Cartier is a very classy and stylish scent, but I always wish it would be "pumped up" a bit. If the essence is a stronger version, I will be happy!

Post Thanks / Like

I have, and prefer, the Essence version. I remember trying them together and the original was lighter, more airy and citrus in it. The Essence, if If I had to use words to describe it, is more dense and robust - sort of the way you feel the differences between L'Instant and its Extreme version. The original Must felt more ordinary, where the Essence more gentlemanly with deeper basenotes and perhaps a tad bit more cinnamon.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I have, and prefer, the Essence version. I remember trying them together and the original was lighter, more airy and citrus in it. The Essence, if If I had to use words to describe it, is more dense and robust - sort of the way you feel the differences between L'Instant and its Extreme version. The original Must felt more ordinary, where the Essence more gentlemanly with deeper basenotes and perhaps a tad bit more cinnamon.
    -Sounds great! I`ve just ordered a bottle ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    -Sounds great! I`ve just ordered a bottle ;-)
    You'll have to be sure to follow up with your impressions now, .
    The Bark Bites Back.

I had forgotten about this fragrance and now this thread has sucked me back in! Ok, I'm ordering a bottle now- I'll let you know my thoughts. Damn you Basenotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten about this fragrance and now this thread has sucked me back in! Ok, I'm ordering a bottle now- I'll let you know my thoughts. Damn you Basenotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would say $60 for 50ml is a decent price. I bought mine at Nordstrom several years ago (probably back in 2002 or 2003) and the full 3.3oz bottle was over $90 if I remember correctly, which would probably have the prices over $100 now.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I just ordered a 50ml bottle for $60 on Strawberrynet here in Australia. I wouldn't have known it was there but I was looking through some of the Cartier fragrances and this was in the Must de Cartier section -not as a seperate scent. I'll give a report after a few wearings.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say $60 for 50ml is a decent price. I bought mine at Nordstrom several years ago (probably back in 2002 or 2003) and the full 3.3oz bottle was over $90 if I remember correctly, which would probably have the prices over $100 now.
    It`s only aviable in 50ml.

I just ordered a 50ml bottle for $60 on Strawberrynet here in Australia. I wouldn't have known it was there but I was looking through some of the Cartier fragrances and this was in the Must de Cartier section -not as a seperate scent. I'll give a report after a few wearings.
    I did also order from Strawberrynet.

Let us know what you think Oslo when you get your bottle. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.

Dear Friend,
    You pinpointed a fragance that I love.
    Santos Concentrée and Must de Cartier L´Essence , are wonderful.
    It is better than the regular.
    I wear it ( them ) for more than 10 years.
    hug
    al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    Dear Friend,
    You pinpointed a fragance that I love.
    Santos Concentrée and Must de Cartier L´Essence , are wonderful.
    It is better than the regular.
    I wear it ( them ) for more than 10 years.
    hug
    al
    I have ordered both, so I`m realy looking forward to receive them! Cartier has absolutely grabbed my attention lately. I recently bought Declaration and Declaration Essence, and they have become one of my top favorites. It doesn`t make it worse, that the 100ml declaration bottles are the most elegant and stylish I have ever seen. It`s a sculpture on my shelf. A bottle of Roadster (best mint fragrance I can think of) will soon arrive in my mail box ;-)

Has it arrived yet? Please let us know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Has it arrived yet? Please let us know what you think
    Check here:

http://www.cheapsmells.com/productPa...omme%20Essence

This is my favourite shop. Good prices and free delivery. And... From UK

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what you think Oslo when you get your bottle. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.
    Bottle arrived! First impression: Ultra classy stuff, but at the moment I can`t detect any differences from the regular Must.. Maby a bit more deep/dense anise note? As I see it now, there is no need to own both, because they are so similar. The differences between The essence / regular versions of Declaration are much bigger. It will be intresting to see if Must essence has any better sillage / stayingpower than the original (which already is very good)

Good to hear your thoughts Oslo. I haven't been able to give a few wearings of mine yet to give some feedback. I agree though that it is classy stuff and my wife loved it when I wore it the other day. She doesn't say that about many. I'll get back to you on this.

I bought mine L'essence a month ago and I enjoy it,especially I like the drydown. Worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have now tested both side by side. Regular Must on my left arm, and Essence on my right arm. Maby too early to make a conclusion, but I think I prefer the regular version. I can`t explain excactly what it is. They are very similar, but IMO the regular Must just smells more elegant, and has a more classy aura than Essence. The essence version has more liquorice, more like L`artisan Mechant Loup. -Essence is a great scent indeed, but I`m a bit dissapointed because I had ultra-high expecttations after reading about all the praise this scent has got. Most say it`s much much better than the regular.. Well, according to my nose, it isn`t.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 1st September 2011 at 07:02 PM.

I have worn this now a few times and still need more time with it. I must say that I love it and I agree with Oslo- very classy scent. I will enjoy using this over summer. The citrus in this seems to fizz on my skin- it's rounder and brighter than Must de Cartier Pour Homme. The 'tartness' of the grapefruit? or is it green mandarin (I'm not sure- I think those are the notes) are wonderful against the bitter anise and then the tonka comes in to balance. Great formal summer fragrance for me. My wife loves this scent and she doesn't say that about many.

Best wishes,

K.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this one, altough it doesn`t last on me, so i always spray a good amount when i wear this one. It reminds me the green bitterness of Must Cartier Pour Femme, but less agressive. From what i remember, the olive note is not so noticeable here, with more evidence on the cinnamon and woody base, slightly sweet. It`s a discreet fragrance, less than must pour homme but still discreet.

Post Thanks / Like

The regular Must de Cartier pour homme has better sillage and stayingpower on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The regular Must de Cartier pour homme has better sillage and stayingpower on my skin.
    Wish it was the same on me, because after 3 hours i cannot detect it Maybe there is some note at the base that my nose doesn`t register, so it`s like there wasn`t anything there. Pitty, cause i like it

Post Thanks / Like

The original Must felt more ordinary, where the Essence more gentlemanly with deeper basenotes and perhaps a tad bit more cinnamon.
    It seemed to me in the same league of Obsession for men CK ,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    It seemed to me in the same league of Obsession for men CK ,
    Well, they are both orientals that prominently feature vanilla/tonka and cinnamon... I just personally wouldn't put their quality into the same league.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down, the best frag Cartier ever put out. Can't recommend it any higher.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976