Code of Conduct

Default what makes Royal Copenhegan so powdery???

This scent and other such as Lagerfeld and others what is the note causing this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what makes Royal Copenhegan so powdery???

I'm sorry I can't answer the question, but I have worn RC and received the comment 'You smell like baby powder'. That is the standard response when I'm wearing Royal Copenhagen. I LOVE a good powdery fragrance, but how the hell they do it is beyond my understanding....................I'm just really glad they do!

Post Thanks / Like

According to a fellow I me who happens to work in the cosmetic industry, iris and amber are the reasons for talcum-powder-like notes. There are other materials causing the same effect, but I ignore which they are. As to RC, I cannot give any account as to the presence of the ones mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a combination of vanilla/benzoin/amber/musk (pick one or all), light woods, and spices.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Iris/orris, heliotrope, and amber seem to be the major players, though it depends upon what a person perceives as "powdery."

For me that "powdery" smell is almost always indicative of the presence of amber.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the aldehydes.

Post Thanks / Like

"powdery" is a collection of notes we're used to smelling in talc or baby powder, not the actual powder itsself. So your brain associates this accord with powder instead of the notes that are actually there. Over time and with some thought and understanding about what the notes actually smell like you can stop apprehending a smell as powder and actually perceive it as what it really is. I think this is why some people perceive a frag as powdery and others may not. From other threads on the subject, there are also synthetic aromachemicals that are used to produce a powdery feel in a frag. I think it is the same phenomenon as smelling something as "soapy" or like "detergent"... it is because we recognize those smells as coming from soap or detergent previously. Since talc powder, soap and detergents do not have an innate smell, when we recognize something as powdery or soapy, I see that as a false scent association... the brain is automatically interpreting the sensory input incorrectly.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

How can an association be "incorrect"? It's there, and that's what's important. . . there is no wrong or right imo.

Disclaimer: I've never smelled Royal Copenhagen.

I find sweet vanilla-ish powder effects to come from benzoin, which is what Johnson & Johnson baby powder smells of. This is distinct from soapy for me, though they can be combined. Aldehydes amplify the effect in the top accord. Old spice e.g. is a very powdery scent to me, with just a touch of spice -- a lot of benzoin and aldehydes in that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    How can an association be "incorrect"? It's there, and that's what's important. . . there is no wrong or right imo.
    That's true, and many frags are intentionally powdery, but what I'm talking about is that when you perceive something as powdery (usually) you can no longer identify individual notes like orris, benzoin, vanilla, etc... instead you just smell something you identify as powdery. So I say that is an incorrect or false scent association because your brain is telling you you are smelling baby powder when, in fact, you are smelling something that was used to scent powder. Imagine if all baby and talc powder was scented with patchouli... would people still smell benzoin, orris, vanilla, and amber as powdery? I don't think so... instead people would think patchouli smelled powdery. However, because J&J baby powder has always been scented with benzoin, that is what most people perceive as powdery...

In my personal experience, scents I have perceived as powdery, soapy, etc... have decreased as my ability to identify individual notes has improved.

Iris and orris (the root) lend this feeling in large doses. Check out Dior Homme Intense or Gucci Pour Homme I if you want a reference. Heliotrope has a similar effect, and since Royal Copenhagen contains both it's talcey as heck.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    However, because J&J baby powder has always been scented with benzoin, that is what most people perceive as powdery...

In my personal experience, scents I have perceived as powdery, soapy, etc... have decreased as my ability to identify individual notes has improved.
    I agree completely.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bat View Post
    Iris and orris (the root) lend this feeling in large doses. Check out Dior Homme Intense or Gucci Pour Homme I if you want a reference. Heliotrope has a similar effect, and since Royal Copenhagen contains both it's talcey as heck.
    I find iris/orris and violet (not leaf) to be soapy, while benzoin I find more powdery. But I guess there's some synthetic iris in baby powder too. . . which confuses things.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bat View Post
    I find iris/orris and violet (not leaf) to be soapy, while benzoin I find more powdery. But I guess there's some synthetic iris in baby powder too. . . which confuses things. I agree with Dorje that learning to identify the notes/accords is more useful and accurate.