Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Serge Lutens - El Attarine

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...rine_2008.html

Love that Scented Salamander...always on the ball!

Anyway, let the rumours and predictions begin!

Default Re: New Serge Lutens - El Attarine

Wow, a Serge Lutens that is "sweet-smelling." What a shock. I also thought the Scented Salamander's comment about SL taking a lot of time instead of rushing things to market was a bit funny since he seems to me to be really cranking them out at a pretty rapid clip these days. Didn't that "Five O'Clock" one just come out a month or so ago?

Basenotes Institution

Exciting.

The press release that TheScentedSalamander quotes from sounds quite...mythic.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Wow, a Serge Lutens that is "sweet-smelling." What a shock. I also thought the Scented Salamander's comment about SL taking a lot of time instead of rushing things to market was a bit funny since he seems to me to be really cranking them out at a pretty rapid clip these days. Didn't that "Five O'Clock" one just come out a month or so ago?
    I believe there are 3 releases per year - two in the export range and one in Paris. I believe she was speaking of the time it took to perfect this fragrance specifically.

Blog Entries

The press release actually does nothing at all to describe the scent. Way to stoke the fire, Serge. :P

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    The press release actually does nothing at all to describe the scent. Way to stoke the fire, Serge. :P
    All part of the game. All the past press releases were just as vague...many thought from Sarrasins' press release that it contained ink, when it was just in reference to the colour. The first thing noticed on this press release was the use of the word "immortelle" (French section)...I personally hope it's not the actual ingredient (the same thing that made me run away from Sables and Eau Noire). I know it has its fans though.

I am curious if this will break from traditional Lutens. My fav lutens in order are: Encens et Lavende and Ambre Sultan.

Thanks for sharing the information sofresh. My day is now moving in a much more positive direction.

I'm just passing on Mimifroufrou.com's post, so I take no credit.

My prediction - another rich, syrupy concoction. Rumour has it that this will be his last release (mind you, same rumour appended to the last release). If I Serge and I wanted to retire, I'd go out with what made me famous in the first place - a dark oriental a la Chergui, Ambre Sultan, etc. etc.

Too bad for me though...I happen to love his florals the most.

Sun-drenched, solar, topazes and sweet! Sounds right to me!

I noticed that in the original French, El Attarine is a Koranic school for "spoiled" (gatés) children, vs the english version where it's "only a select few"!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm just passing on Mimifroufrou.com's post, so I take no credit.

My prediction - another rich, syrupy concoction.

Gag, acckk , aaarggh, double gag...a sweet smelling "Attar"? This will make Arabie smell like a summer frag.
    -

I didn't mean to sound so caustic in my earlier post. I guess I'm just bitter that my favorite houses either put new frags out at a snail's pace (Lorenzo Villoresi) or announce something exciting and new, which suddenly is MIA (MPG's Bois de Turquie). At any rate, sincere best wishes to all of the many fans of SL's sweet concoctions. You guys are lucky to have another one to look forward to, while I continue to wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Gag, acckk , aaarggh, double gag...a sweet smelling "Attar"? This will make Arabie smell like a summer frag.
    Arabie *is* a summer fragrance!

I'm hoping that like Sarrasins this one isn't very popular - that way I can get my hands on some at a decent price when people start selling it off!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Sun-drenched, solar, topazes and sweet! Sounds right to me!

I noticed that in the original French, El Attarine is a Koranic school for "spoiled" (gatés) children, vs the english version where it's "only a select few"!
    Damn, and I thought "attarine" might have something to do with attars...

I feel Sheldrake is slowly being sucked into Chanel's rich arms. The last few Lutens fragrances have been real duds for me.
    MKK will always be my favorite.

I kind of have to agree with you, Ruggles.

I think that the mystique around the entire Lutens line is fading away more and more each year now that he's putting out new releases at the speed of your average designer - that's what it feels like anyway. I'd rather wait a long time for something really good and unusual rather than another 'so-so' scent. They might mention that this was a long process - still it just doesn't feel right .
    Last edited by BrothaG; 17th June 2008 at 09:16 AM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Allegedely this (along with several other formulas) were created a long time ago and are just coming into production, so perhaps we'll be in for a pleasant surprise! (I'm doing my best to be optimistic)

In response to a comment above, I've always felt that Arabie IS a summer fragrance, for thats the only time that I wear it. Its a Lutens that does best in the summer heat, I think. Attarine sounds great.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I feel Sheldrake is slowly being sucked into Chanel's rich arms. The last few Lutens fragrances have been real duds for me.
    MKK will always be my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    I think that the mystique around the entire Lutens line is fading away more and more each year now that he's putting out new releases at the speed of your average designer - that's what it feels like anyway. I'd rather wait a long time for something really good and unusual rather than another 'so-so' scent. They might mention that this was a long process - still it just doesn't feel right .
    For me, Serge Lutens has been going downhill since 2005. Before then, only the odd dud was released (Clair de Musc and Santal Blanc spring to mind) - the rest, even if not personally liked, could still be respected as challenging releases. Not bad for the first 12 years of the house's existence.

From 2005 onwards, however, this has drastically changed with there being more duds than the superlative releases we're used to (also most of them were simply rehashes of previous creations) - Gris Clair, Un Cèdre and Borneo 1834 being the main exceptions.

The 'details' about El Attarine and Serge Noire sound very encouraging, and I'm hoping that both will be up to the same standards as his previous classics (and not as lame, weak and/or safe as his last few releases). If just one of them could be considered full bottle-worthy, I'd be a very happy man. It would also offer a glimmer of hope, with regards to the future creations of this (once) amazing house.

As for these being his final releases, I've heard it all before...
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th July 2008 at 11:36 AM.

For those interested in more details (and actual notes!), check out Perfume Shrine's articles on both El Attarine and Serge Noire.

Thanks for all the info, sofresh!

Personally, I fear that El Attarine could be an immortelle / cumin nightmare but, then again, it could also be the release that I've been waiting for (I liked Sables but it lacked decent sillage and Eau Noir was soooooooo not me). As for Serge Noire, I just hope it's not a Gris Clair (Part 2) (in other words, a variation on Encens et Lavande and Gris Clair) - owning one of these is more than enough.
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th July 2008 at 01:49 PM.

I already know I'm going to hate El Attarine...immortelle is not my thing.

Looking forward to Serge Noire, as Gris Clair and E&L were both nice, but I'm not a huge lavender fan.

Hey Trebor and Ruggles (and everyone) - which Lutens do you feel are "duds"? Do you think they're objectively weak, or just that you don't care for them? In my view the rate of weaker scents has been higher recently, but there have still been several brilliant gems in recent years: Chypre Rouge, Borneo, Cedre (which you mentioned), Gris Clair which rank among some of his best, while Sarrasins is quite good though it does not appeal to most, and 5 o 'clock gets very good reviews though I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Four gems in three years, and two very good ones out of 8 isn't too bad!

The only recent "stinker" I can think of is Louve, though Miel de Bois gets terrible review, bt I haven't had the chance to try it.

To me the only ones I really dislike are
    Louve
    Bois de Vanille
    Rousse
    Un Lys

WHile I find Santal Blanc, Mandarin-Mandarine and Douce Amere to be kind of weak.

The others I either love, or find interesting even if I don't love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    For me, Serge Lutens has been going downhill since 2005. Before then, only the odd dud was released (Clair de Musc and Santal Blanc spring to mind) - the rest, even if not personally liked, could still be respected as challenging releases. Not bad for the first 12 years of the house's existence.

From 2005 onwards, however, this has drastically changed with there being more duds than the superlative releases we're used to (also most of them were simply rehashes of previous creations) - Gris Clair, Un Cèdre and Borneo 1834 being the main exceptions.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Another concern is the longevity and sillage of these two. The potency of the last few releases have lame compared to his classic creations. I just hope that these 'old ideas' are as tenacious as the creations that were released around they were first conceived.

I too was expecting El Attarine to contain some oud, so I'm a bit disappointed (but at least it's a fresh concept). Also, if Serge Noire is distinctive (and potent) enough, I'd definitely be interested...

I'm one of the Sarrasins fans...I think it's one of the best from the house, albeit not the most daring or original. It also has great lasting power on me. I've yet to take any interest in anything in the export range...I'm hoping Serge Noire will be the one!

(they definitely have some brand loyalty with me)

Hey Trebor and Ruggles (and everyone) - which Lutens do you feel are "duds"? Do you think they're objectively weak, or just that you don't care for them? In my view the rate of weaker scents has been higher recently, but there have still been several brilliant gems in recent years: Chypre Rouge, Borneo, Cedre (which you mentioned), Gris Clair which rank among some of his best, while Sarrasins is quite good though it does not appeal to most, and 5 o 'clock gets very good reviews though I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Four gems in three years, and two very good ones out of 8 isn't too bad!

The only recent "stinker" I can think of is Louve, though Miel de Bois gets terrible review, bt I haven't had the chance to try it.

To me the only ones I really dislike are
    Louve
    Bois de Vanille
    Rousse
    Un Lys

WHile I find Santal Blanc, Mandarin-Mandarine and Douce Amere to be kind of weak.

The others I either love, or find interesting even if I don't love them.
    Douce Amere, while not one of his most challenging creations was still an admirable release (but lacked longevity for me). Also, Bois de Vanille is a very good vanilla (one of the best I've smelt) but it took me a while to get past the burnt sugar note. I can't remember much about Mandarin-Mandarine. In terms of duds, these are the ones I was thinking of:

Clair de Musc / Bois et Musc - I'm not a big musk fan but how many musk scents does Serge need to create?!
    Santal Blanc - contains a horrible chemical note that ruined it (but still a pointless release)
    Louve - no, I DON'T want to smell like marzipan...
    Rousse - far too transparent for my liking
    Miel de Bois - I liked the concept but it's soooooooo bland
    Chypre Rouge - I actually admired this one but its longevity is attrocious
    Sarrisins - a rehash one too many
    Five O¹Clock au Gingembre - a ginger version of Rousse

As you can see, most of them are recent releases. For me, the best release year for SL has to be 2000: À la Nuit, Douce Amère, Arabie and Sa Majesté la Rose - four very strong releases. The worse year was last year: Louve, Rousse and Sarrisins - all pretty much nondescript.

Hey Trebor and Ruggles (and everyone) - which Lutens do you feel are "duds"? Do you think they're objectively weak, or just that you don't care for them?
    IMO, the real duds are:

Chypre Rouge - Don't care for.
    Five O'Clock Au Gingembre - Weak.
    Mandarine Mandarin - Redundant.
    Rousse - Weak, synthetic.
    Louve - I do not love Louve, another one that's too sweet/synthetic.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th July 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm one of the Sarrasins fans...I think it's one of the best from the house, albeit not the most daring or original. It also has great lasting power on me. I've yet to take any interest in anything in the export range...I'm hoping Serge Noire will be the one!

(they definitely have some brand loyalty with me)
    Hey, I have to admit that Sarrasins is one of the very few that I haven't tried. I guess I was getting sick and tired, after two years of (mostly) rehashes of previous creations. I don't mind rehashes but not at the rate that this house has been releasing them lately (especially when, at the same time, new ideas are thin on the ground).

According to an interview with Serge Lutens, Féminité du Bois will eventually be added to the export line (see question 9):

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._lutens_a.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    According to an interview with Serge Lutens, Féminité du Bois will eventually be added to the export line (see question 9):

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._lutens_a.html
    As the ladies over at MUA said, better stock up on FdB before it gets the Export price raise!

Got a wax sample of El Attarine in the mail today They are never to be fully trusted when it comes to giving a complete impression of the actual juice, but I've applied some and here are my first thoughts in short.

First off, it leaves no doubt that this is a Lutens creation. Those who know the line will recognize that instantly. Makes me think of several of their scents as it progresses. The 'attarin' (sweet smelling in Arabian) is clearly out there. Rather sweet and a bit floral on me, yet not to intoxicating levels. There's a brighter start to this that mellows down, and although the first 15 minutes or so are a bit more interesting, what stays is comforting enough. Probably a very different development in fluid, though.

It surprised me that the wax isn't showing much spices. I'd say it's woodier instead, with a small wink to Santal de Mysore. When it comes to the immortelle - I'm not too familiar with that note, but it's not something I picked out. I got no Sables-vibe, anyway, although I heard the use of immortelle is quite different here.

I won't judge this by the wax because it's hard to really feel individual notes and development, but even if it doesn't appear too groundbreaking, I'm curious to try this in fluid. It does smell like a worthy addition to the line.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 20th August 2008 at 05:56 PM.

Hee BrothaG, where'd you get the wax sample? Did you request a single sample from the Salons or did you get a complete booklet of samples?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I too unexpectedly received a wax sample of [among others] El Attarine today. Yay!

My initial thoughts are similar to BrothaG's: slightly sweet and fruity-floral up at the top end, and soft woods lower down, a la Bois et Fruits or Santal de Mysore. Sorry I can't get more exact with naming accords, but if you've sampled the wax, er, samples of both of those, you should be able to conjure up a blend in your mind's nose.

However, there's one aspect that I'm experiencing which Brotha doesn't appear to have picked up on: it's got some skank! It's not quite the same skank as found in MKK, but it's giving off a definite warm 'bodily odour' vibe. Is this the immortelle? Whatever it is, I'm going through one of those "I am both compelled and repulsed at the same time" experiences familiar to a number of you.

Interesting stuff

[EDIT: Merlino, My sample turned up out of the blue, in the shape of one of the 'livres' of four samples - Iris Silver Mist, Un Lys, Encens et Lavande being the others. I have ordered from the Paris store online in the past, so I guess if yu've done that you can also expect a free waxy delivery ]
    Last edited by simisker; 20th August 2008 at 06:45 PM.

In that case I should be getting one indeed. Funny that you should receive a wax sample of ISM, only about a month ago I requested a sample of ISM and I got a paper strip dipped in the stuff mailed to me!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Good to hear your thoughts as well simisker! (And indeed, it came in the mail by surprise)

Interesting that you got this skanky note. Even if I try I don't quite smell that - could be skin chemistry or just something I didn't pick up. Will be looking out for it on my next try. Other than that our experiences seem to be very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by simisker View Post
    However, there's one aspect that I'm experiencing which Brotha doesn't appear to have picked up on: it's got some skank! It's not quite the same skank as found in MKK, but it's giving off a definite warm 'bodily odour' vibe. Is this the immortelle? Whatever it is, I'm going through one of those "I am both compelled and repulsed at the same time" experiences familiar to a number of you.

The B.O. vibe is probably cumin. Immortelle smells more like curry.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

This smells like another take on Feminité du Bois to me and it would suit perfectly in the Eaux Boisées line together with Un Bois Sepia or Santal de Mysore. Nice, but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed.

Every once in a while (like yesterday) I get a nice square letter/card from 25, Rue la Valois, 75001 Paris with one of the Serge Lutens carded wax samples. El Attarine was among the four. As its my day off, I put some on my wrist before going to the gym. The opening made me think this is definitely a SL with that unmistakable honey note in a subdued "Arabie" style - but about a half hour later on, that initial "Arabie" feel was gone and what I was thinking was: this is like some chypre-like cross between Bois de Violette & Chanel's 31 Rue Cambon. I got home and read:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    This smells like another take on Feminité du Bois ....
    I'd agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    The B.O. vibe is probably cumin. Immortelle smells more like curry.
    Curry. This is it during the first 30 minutes. That's what my son said after having sniffed: "I would never like Curry on my body...". Neither would I.

I also got a wax sample card. How to handle the wax samples? Do you have to put a little on your wrist, or just sniff the card?
    Or is it up to ones imagination where to put the wax on? Never had a wax sample before.

From El Attarine I also got smth fruity and then some body odourish thing. I also thought it was the cumin or some animalic note. Very interesting. Have to sample the juice.

I also liked the other samples, especially Encense et Lavande and Irish Mist. Nice powdery orris, in the same veign as Dior Homme. I really want to sample these "unwaxed" some time.(if I have the chance that is)

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I also got a wax sample card. How to handle the wax samples? Do you have to put a little on your wrist, or just sniff the card?
    Or is it up to ones imagination where to put the wax on? Never had a wax sample before.
    I'm tempted to say: "Your guess is as good as mine!" What I do is lift / scrape off the small round plastic covering the sample and then "dig out" the wax and smear it on my wrist. I would hasten to say that the wax sample has limited value and might even give a misleading picture of the true balance of notes in the fragrance. I based my purchase of Un Lys on my wax sample and found the liquid version surprisingly "not what I was expecting".

My impression of El Attarine, based on the wax sample, is tentative. I can't say I noticed anything distinctive although it is probably a fine scent if you like that kind. I wouldn't buy before evaluating a liquid sample.

I received a wax sample yesterday also. I just get a strong smell of curry unfortunately. Yuk

I also received that card which holds 4 different wax samples, along with El Attarine. Been testing this today.

Against my previous experiences with these wax samples, El Attarine came out suprisingly strong and clear. For sure the liquid sample will be much more complex and giving after all, but yes, I got the picture from El Attarine that is suprisingly powerful.

I still haven`t smelled Feminite du Bois, but from what I am able to say, El Attarine is a bad dream for those who don`t appreciate the beauty of Arabie & Santal de Mysore (+ a bit of Soleil de Capri)
    To me, El Attarine is very much like a hybrid between these 2(+1), Arabie & SdM.
    Only other scent which came to my mind was Soleil de Capri by Montale. (=a bit of sweet white florals, same kind of musky base, and that solar, crispy fruit note.)

So, judging by the wax, El Attarine is a Lutens Powerhouse : Lots of spicies (curry, cumin), dried fruits (plum, apricot), sweet boozyness, soft woodyness.....plus those ones mentioned before with Soleil de Capri.

Irresistible, but full bottle worthy..?
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 27th August 2008 at 07:37 PM.

I got the card as well. All I could do was to take the plastic cover and swipe across my wrist. Then I turned the card over and rubbed it over my forearm.

El Attaraine was definitely a cross between body odor, a bright perfumey note and curry. No fruits on me. And I do not think that the scent translates well into wax samples. It had no development, nor did the Encese Et Lavendar. Un Lyns came out funky. I saved the Iris for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    To me, El Attarine is very much like a hybrid between these 2(+1), Arabie & SdM.
    You've confirmed my worst fears about this one. Thanks for the brief review. As I already own Arabie and Santal de Mysore, El Attarine may be a redundant candidate. Once again, it sounds like Serge is releasing another rehash...

Arabie is one I have worn and from the limited recall I have and the limitation of the wax sample, I can also say I got a reminder of Arabie from El Attaraine.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smelled this one yet?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: New Serge Lutens - El Attarine

I have a sample from TPC. It doesn't smell of curry (cumin) to me. I liked the fact that it feels very chypre. I would like it for myself except that it has a stronger masculine finish, I haven't looked it up, but maybe, vetiver? Anyway, It's only a bit sweet, only in the way that a hay note is sweet, TMN. It feels fresh, almost like a 'Miss Dior' type.

I absolutely love it...best release this year imo. I find it has a spicy, curried note in the beginning, followed by a very bright fruit note. Almost comes across as mango chutney. Sparkling aldehydes in the same vein as La Myrrhe, but more interesting. Absolutely beautiful, but not very long lasting, and it stays close to the skin (which is good and bad). Definitely worth trying, but probably not for everyone.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled this today, finally.

I agree with sofresh's 'bright fruit note' description - although I could've sworn it was citrus based (mandarin orange?) and I also got a slight curried vibe from the immortelle but nothing like Arabie or Sables. The best part is when the fruit note fades and what's left is this hazy, spicy sap smell.

Can't wait to sample this again soon...

^ agreed that the fruit note could easily be citrus-fruit, but more orange-y than lemon-y. It's like pieces of candied fruit from Mandarine Mandarin, some cedar from the Bois series, a little cumin from Arabie et al., and some aldehydes from La Myrrhe were all combined. Genius stuff.

There hasn't been much talk of this one on Basenotes. Any new thoughts from the past few years?

Suga, IMO El Attarine is a very nice fragrance but, after all, it's just La Myrrhe with an added apricot note. I know, my assessment sounds a bit simplicistic but that's really all I got from El Attarine.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The first time I smelled it, I was blown over, then I resmelled it last year and it appeared weaker than other Lutens. But it came after 5 or 6 powerhouses, so it could have been nose fatigue (but then Dane also says it's close to the skin). I need to wear this again.

cacio

For me it's a cross-over between Arabie, Santal de Mysore and Bois et fruit with a beautiful immortelle note.
    I like it much but occasionally

Blog Entries

I think it has a warm, sensuous aspect that I really like-very 'golden'. But it seems I just don't care for the immortelle note.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th August 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Suga, IMO El Attarine is a very nice fragrance but, after all, it's just La Myrrhe with an added apricot note. I know, my assessment sounds a bit simplicistic but that's really all I got from El Attarine.
    I couldn't disagree more. La Myrrhe is very sharp and aldehydic to me whereas El Attarine is very warm and curried, much like Santal de Mysore. I was glad to see a thread about this often overlooked SL, it's pure magic in the wintertime and the 1 belljar I'd spring for were it to pop up on eBay. One of the best releases from the house, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. La Myrrhe is very sharp and aldehydic to me whereas El Attarine is very warm and curried, much like Santal de Mysore. I was glad to see a thread about this often overlooked SL, it's pure magic in the wintertime and the 1 belljar I'd spring for were it to pop up on eBay. One of the best releases from the house, imo.
    It's good to disagree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The first time I smelled it, I was blown over, then I resmelled it last year and it appeared weaker than other Lutens. But it came after 5 or 6 powerhouses, so it could have been nose fatigue (but then Dane also says it's close to the skin). I need to wear this again.

cacio
    cacio it also has low sillage on me...but this is problem is fixed by something called a finger

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    For me it's a cross-over between Arabie, Santal de Mysore and Bois et fruit with a beautiful immortelle note.
    I can't believe I forgot that immortelle note! It's gorgeous, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I think it has a warm, sensuous aspect that I really like-very 'golden'. But it seems I just don't care for the immortelle note.
    It does smell golden and juicy, yet in an oddly dry way.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    alfarom I don't smell any myrrh whatsoever in El Attarine, while I get buckets of it in LM. I finally got the "aha" moment after comparing LM and L'eau Trois (both myrrh prominent fragrances) side by side. Let's just agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    cacio it also has low sillage on me...but this is problem is fixed by something called a finger
    I'll third, El Attarine is low sillage, which actually makes it far more wearable in my eyes, even on cooler summer nights. Extremely exotic smelling juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Yes, for me it's a cross between Santal de Mysore and Bois Oriental minus the dried fruits/cedar, just the oriental chord (which, interestingly, seems was grafted almost identically onto bone-dry cumin to create Serge Noire, they both share a good amount of dna).