Code of Conduct

Default Creed Jardin d'Amalfi...Unisex?

From the note listing in the Creed Royal Exclusive Jardin d'Amalfi (tangerine, bergamot, pink pepper, ambergris, etc., JdA looks like it can be a unisex fragrance. However, on the UK site it is listed as a feminine fragrance. I know it's wear whatever you like, etc, etc., but there are limits for me and I'd never wear something like, like Creed White Flowers or Les Floralies. For those who have actually smelled or worn Jardin d'Amalfi, do you believe it is at all suitable for guys? Why or why not? This is too pricey of a fragrance to buy in the complete blind. Thanks,

Martin

Default Re: Creed Jardin d'Amalfi...Unisex?

Just thought I'd ask. NYC Boutique has a few pieces of this for now. I was told it is not scheduled to appear officially in the USA until spring of 2012.

Martin

I did originally write you a reply but as soon as I hit reply that was when the site went down

Its got an air of unisex as its primarily a very smooth fruity scent with a very dominant tangarine. Very fresh and airy. I'd be more inclined to say its something a young guy could carry off.

If you were to make a comparison its almost like a slightly feminine Erolfa, Its got an element of romance to it but feels comforting and familiar. Its certainly not an all out feminine assault like the very composed White Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Its certainly not an all out feminine assault like the very composed White Flowers.
    Agree.

The note that will stand out is vetiver - i think its unisex enough. Imagine a sweet-tangy citrus opening with a woody-rooty heart. I need to spray it on and try it but during my sample session I preferred it to White Flowers (which is quite femme).
    -

Credit Cards know no gender and Creed does not discriminate in that respect. (-:

I believe this is the first White Flowers review on a fragrance blog:

http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.c...eed-white.html
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I believe this is the first White Flowers review on a fragrance blog:

http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.c...eed-white.html
    Thanks for the link ZZ. Although I can't wear it in public, I love the way White Flowers smells. Since I have a carded sample I'm going to wear it at home next week just to see how it develops on the skin. It was the first "wow" type female frag I've smelled in several months. I did hear one urban girl in her late 20's comment "that smells too much like my grandma" at a Creed counter recently when smelling White Flowers from a blotter card. Although it is a refined kind of scent, I do not think this one is only for older women. It will be interesting to see how that one rolls in the marketplace. BTW, I heard all Royal Exclusives are now bumped to $575.00 for the 250ml bottle.

Martin

Martin, just received my Jardin d'Amalfi. here are my thoughts:

1 - it is absolutely stunning. Redneck Perfumisto described White Flowers something like "unsettlingly perfect". I would say the same for Jardin d'Amalfi. I have simply never smelled anything like it. While White Flowers is definitely great, it isn't exactly breaking new ground. Jardin d'Amalfi does.

2 - it is feminine. if you don't wear "on the border" scents, you won't wear this. If White Flowers is for the 40+ market, this is squarely aimed at the 20-40 age. However, usually when perfumes trend young, they become a bit amateurish or formulaic. Not here. This frag does the impossible for perfumes... it is as beautiful and complex as some older, more mature floral perfumes are, but it is young at heart and insanely sexy. If White Flowers is suited for Renee Russo or Dido, Jardin d'Amalfi is made for Mila Kunis or Emmanuelle Chrique. Fun, exotic, playful, irresistable.

3 - it starts out with a wonderful tangerine blast. somehow, this topnote sticks around for the life of the fragrance. along with the lemon and bergamot, it is the spirit of Jardin d'Amalfi. surprising, because the name leads you to believe this is a floral scent, but i'd classify it as a fruity/citrus aquatic. about 1 minute in, flowers bloom up out of nowhere. florals exactly like those in White Flowers. I was disappointed when i first realized this because i thought they would be too similar. but THEN, the white flowers retreat slightly and a very forceful blend of spices, vetiver, and soft wood appears. This is what separates it from White Flowers. the base of ambergris shows up to soften it out. the whole thing is like a magic carpet ride.

going back to classification, this perfume combines so many elements, that you could identify it as any of them, depending on the nose, and depending on the stage of wear. citrus? definitely. fruity? yep. floral? it's got that. woody? it's got some woods. aquatic? absolutely.

normally something so multi-faceted would be a cacophonous mess. not here. exquisite balance and manners.

Not to sound like a Creed fan (lord knows that's not allowed around here), but I consider all three new Royal Exclusives to be absolute home-runs, surpassing both previous RE's (Spice and Wood, Sublime Vanille) as well as Royal Oud.

Basenotes Institution

This sounds lovely, thanks for that review fumegator
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks for the descriptive review Fume. At this stage of my fragrance journey I can comfortably handle an appreciate Amouage Gold Man. That is my floral border. I'm looking forward to the first sniff of Jardin d'Amalfi!

Martin

I received and sampled Creed Jardin d'Amalfi today. I like it a good deal and look forward to wearing it this week. While JdA leans slightly toward the feminine, it is within my "unisex" range and probably expands my fragrance enjoyment limits a bit. JdA stikes me as an light/airy smelling composition of the finest quality. Fume and ZZ describe it well. A tame vetiver, sandalwood/ cedarwood and rose? note are noticeable early on. The floral note is an enhancement and does not dominate. Besides the Creed ambergris/ musk base notes, pink pepper (pimento?), apple, pettigrain, and cinnamon are also listed as notes, but I haven't able to identify them. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say about this one when they try it.

Martin

Creed's Jardin d'Amalfi conjures the same feel as Montale's Soleil di Capri, in my opinion.

After a long absence I'm coming back to this forum that I missed dearly...

I plunged back in my obsession of perfume with the Jardin d'Amalfi fragrance. I reopened this thread because since yesterday I am totally under its charm. At first it was a very familiar scent for me, it reminded me of trees, forests even. And then very suddenly appeared notes of cakes that left as quickly as they came. Jazznpool is right, it is airy and fresh, I would add that it is green and very soft as well.

This morning I was surprised to notice it stayed on my skin all night and it remains in a very delicate way. It is an incredible fragrance...

As for this fragrance being also for men I don't see why not. I don't mind strong and deep fragrances at all for men but without some changes it is getting boring after a while. Of course it depends how it evolves on the skin, but I would be curious and delighted to see a man wearing it.
    "Notre langage ne vaut rien pour décrire le monde des odeurs."
    [Patrick Süskind]

"Parfois on trouve un vieux flacon qui se souvient
    D'où jaillit toute vive une âme qui revient."

[Baudelaire]

Need to sniff this.

"Comfortable with Amouage Gold Man", you've already crossed the border. Relax, the posse has long given up the chase.

Fumegator said
    Not to sound like a Creed fan (lord knows that's not allowed around here),

Must be a sore subject. I have not been on here long enough to know better but I have found a number of Creeds that I really enjoy (as in that is what I primarily wear).

Fumegator said
    but I consider all three new Royal Exclusives to be absolute home-runs,

Maybe, The JdA is great but I have not convinced myself on the other two. I have the spice and wood and royal oud and I instantly favor the JdA over them from just a great scent. They all have their place I think in regards to where I might wear one versus the other depending on the situation/event.
    I want to wear the JdA a few times to get a better feel as my first impression was that it was more feminine (I picked up a flacon a couple of weeks ago but only today did I put a small amount on). I really like the subtlety in which it blends so many scents without being overpowering. Because of this, I could see how it could be unisex. I already told the girlfriend to bring over an atomizer as I want her to be wearing it!

Blog Entries

Since this is so close to Diptyque- Jardin Clos, I thought I'd mention it. BTW-I'm a female over 40 . I was told by some complete strangers that this fume smelled wonderful on me. I was flattered. - I don't understand the concern which predominates on the male board about "age appropriateness". Ya'll need to let go of that idea.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th January 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Since this is so close to Diptyque- Jardin Clos, I thought I'd mention it. BTW-I'm a female over 40 . I was told by some complete strangers that this fume smelled wonderful on me. I was flattered. - I don't understand the concern which predominates on the male board about "age appropriateness". Ya'll need to let go of that idea.
    I am such a newbie and I see I responded to a thread from years ago. :-). However I am glad to receive the recommendation. Thank you kumquat. Btw I have no idea about age appropriateness as anyone should feel free to wear what they like. It does appear sometimes that generations may favor certain scents if my grandma and her friends are considered an appropriate sample size.

Jardin d'Amalfi is a masterpiece in every sense of the word to me.

However, it definitely approaches - if not slightly crosses - the feminine line. However, for one this great, I will wear it anyway. But I am always mindful of time and place.

Blog Entries

Actually, it was Fumigator who thought Jardin was only going to appeal to 20-40 yr olds. So I was just mentioning that this over-40 likes it fine. FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review Fumegator...recently got a sample Jardin d'Amalfi after repurchasing MI from NM. Found this one feminine to the Nth degree. Not sure why it is listed as Unisex.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Wore this today due to its shear beauty. I was ever mindful of its feminine aspects, but didn't care. This has to be the most stunning fragrance I've smelled, but at the same time, not sure I'd wear a full bottle, because it does tip toe on the fem side. Not that it bothers me, it just has the extra sweet floralness about it. I have a sample.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Wore this today due to its shear beauty. I was ever mindful of its feminine aspects, but didn't care. This has to be the most stunning fragrance I've smelled, but at the same time, not sure I'd wear a full bottle, because it does tip toe on the fem side. Not that it bothers me, it just has the extra sweet floralness about it. I have a sample.
    Possibly get some for your SO.

Gosh I don't see why so many people view it as feminine. I think this is as unisex as it gets. It really works well either way. I just absolutely love the scent and it is in my top 5 for summer. I am a guy and I think it is perfectly fine.

yup, totally unisex for me (guy) too.

The white flowers in the drydown are too femme for me.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if there is going to be a split available here?

Perfectly unisex and excellent in the summertime.

Beautiful elegant fragrance. I absolutely adore this one. It does border the feminine side with the florals but it smells too good to care about whether it's marketed for "women or men"

Yes, I am agreeing. Got my shirt loaded with this now. I use to enjoy wearing such as Daim Blonde by Serge Lutens. Sweet apricot with a refined suede. I never thought of it as fem, but rather a candied jam.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Jardin d'Amalfi is a masterpiece in every sense of the word to me.
    Since having purchased this more than a year ago this pretty much sums up my feeling.

(3422)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Ok, I bit the bullet. I've decided this is different from Jardin Clos. (Watermelon) this is more amber and will work on men, too. My bottle is on the way. I hope the husband is ok with my having picked out my own Valentines Day gift, yet again.

Peer pressure, I'm about to pull the trigger on this lol.

Blog Entries

I JUST read that the UK site is offering 30ml travel sizes! Doh!

I JUST read that the UK site is offering 30ml travel sizes! Doh!
    you went with 250ml flacon?

Blog Entries

I want to relate a nice anecdote, if you'll indulge me. When I was on a recent trip I had just tried JdA at Halls in KC. I was in the hotel elevator on my way to the bar where everyone was watching the big game. I encountered some rough and tumble Chiefs fans all ready for a good time. I didn't think they'd pay any attention to me. They were 20ish and I grew up watching the original Mickey Mouse Parade on a black and white tv. But they sort of looked my way and one said," Are you wearing perfume?" Or something. I replied that I had just been trying some new stuff at Halls and was surprised they noticed. He said "Whatever it is, it's working!" The other 2 fellows nodded enthusiastically. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reachtop View Post
    you went with 250ml flacon?
    Yes, I went to the creed site. That's all I saw. That's all they offered when I saw it at Halls in KC.

My favorite fragrance hands down. dont care if it is considered "feminine" I love it. My girlfriend thinks it is similar to D&G Light blue for women and i see the similarities.

Beautiful unisex fragrance. One of Creed's best IMO.

Ok, I bit the bullet. I've decided this is different from Jardin Clos. (Watermelon) this is more amber and will work on men, too. My bottle is on the way. I hope the husband is ok with my having picked out my own Valentines Day gift, yet again.
    Congrats! I see you spent a long time considering your purchase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    Congrats! I see you spent a long time considering your purchase
    Thanks- I held out as long as I could. (We suffer so!)

It's an excellent scent. I especially enjoy it in the warmer months, which is about 8 months of the year where I live

Basenotes Plus

My wife owns this and loves it. I don't think it's a scent that I could wear but some men are gonna wear it. If they can pull it off, hats off to them but this feels feminine

I enjoy it, but not something in my collection. Bought my girlfriend a flacon, it fits here good.
    Thought it was unisex when I first got my nose on it. Now I just associate it with her, so my mind says feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    My wife owns this and loves it. I don't think it's a scent that I could wear but some men are gonna wear it. If they can pull it off, hats off to them but this feels feminine
    I may have to agree Preston. I loaded up my shirt with this again today. My gf said it made her dizzy. I may get criticized for saying this, but it reminds me of honey flower downey, in an abstract way. Yes, JDA is way better, but it may be something I have to appreciate for all its beauty but never get to wear it.

My wife and I share a bottle. She uses it more than I do, but I wear it from time to time also with pleasure. It is unisex i would say.

Blog Entries

Well, here it is-

image.jpg

Very Nice KumQuat and what a treasure to behold! Is this a spray or a pour? I've seen bottles with a sprayer.

Blog Entries

It's a splash. The goat skin covers the glass top. (I removed that) I decanted to a 5ml spray.

Awesome Kumquat! Enjoy and may it bring you great pleasure. A true gem. I have 3 samples I'm wearing and after that, I may have to break down for it. I had thought it leaned on the fem side, but to be fair, my sinuses were jacked up that day. I find that if I don't over-applicate, it behaves nicely on me. A true gem!

Blog Entries

Thanks, I feel incredibly guilty. My sweet guy didn't even ask how much it was. What a sport! I'm very lucky.

Excellent fragrance - nice acquisition kumquat! That should last a long time!

Sampled it recently, and yes, it does strike me as unisex. A beautiful fragrance, highly recommended. Too bad about the super high price, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Excellent fragrance - nice acquisition kumquat! That should last a long time!
    This is a major jug of juice. I can't possibly use it all myself.

I get no femininity from JDA. To me it leans more toward the masculine side if anything. Its just a airy, fresh, fruity, and invigorating fragrance that is ideal for California summer days.
    Last edited by prodigy1985; 10th April 2014 at 02:15 PM.

I find it odd that the rose wasn't mentioned more in this thread. Are people's noses that different?

To me, the rose is the star and dominant note of this fragrance. Am I crazy?

I also like to see the guys say "it smells kinda feminine, but I don't give a shit, it's great so I'll wear it anyway" because that is exactly where I am on this too.