Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Introduction/New to the Community - Signature Fall/Winter Scent

Hey everyone! I have found myself looking more and more at different types of fragrances lately and would like to become familiar with the community. That being said, I am very new to fragrances and decided to come here for the opinions of veterans and gurus that frequent bassnotes. I'm very interested in trying various fragrances and just become educated in general when it comes to fragrances.

I would say I'm open to trying many fragrances as I do not know exactly what I like and do not like yet. I will say that I don't like overly fruity "look at me" scents that project like crazy. Scents that are more masculine or even unisex that garner attention in my general vicinity, not the entire room, are what I am looking for.

I have already bought some Ed Hardy "Love and Luck" for the rest of summer as I have smelled it before and thought it would be a good starting point. I have Polo Black and enjoy it but am looking to branch out for fall/winter scents. I'm currently looking at Dior Homme Intense, Chanel Allure Homme, and YSL La Nuit De L'Homme for the fall/winter. I plan on going to my local Neiman Marcus to check out those fragrances but do you guys have suggestions for me on what you like the best out of those 3 or any other fragrances I should look into?

Also, would you guys recommend purchasing directly from Amazon/know if Amazon themselves sell authentic fragrances?

Oh and I'm entering my Junior year in college if that helps at all. Thanks!

Default Re: Introduction/New to the Community - Signature Fall/Winter Scent

Welcome to basenotes!

Dior Homme Intense is the best from your 3 choices.

Happy sniffing! Please report back with your impressions when sniffing.

Good fall and winter scents:

Burberry London
    Fahrenheit
    Rive Gauche

Sur la Plage

Welcome!

Dior Homme Intense is the only one worth purchasing from your list IMO - but I do not think you will find it at Neiman Marcus.

At Neiman Marcus, you might want to check out Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris EDP and Halston Man Amber.

Happy sampling!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sound Scents

Also concur with the Burberry London recommendation.

As for Amazon, in my experience they have indeed provided genuine scents at reasonable prices. I just bought some Terre d'Hermes edt from them after getting a fake on eBay (that luckily the seller gave me a full refund for with little issue when I mentioned it to them). The Amazon genuine item only cost me $11 more delivered for a 100ml bottle...

The key, IMO, is to make sure you buy items that say they are "shipped and sold by Amazon" on their site to ensure you are getting the real thing... Not to imply that many, many Amazon sellers aren't very reputable and honest, just recommending you play it safe unless and until you know a specific seller from past experience or recommendation.

Good luck!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Another for Burberry London

Surely Dior Homme Intense. Be aware of a recent thread about its reformulation.

And welcome to the machine.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Oh and please not Allure Homme, not for me anyway.

Welcome to basenotes!
    Neiman's is the perfume heaven from Dpt. stores,
    they have all the Creeds and Tom Fords, Aqua di Parma, Van cleef etc.
    Yes do test on your skin before you buy, have fun and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Dior Homme Intense is the only one worth purchasing from your list IMO - but I do not think you will find it at Neiman Marcus.

At Neiman Marcus, you might want to check out Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris EDP and Halston Man Amber.

Happy sampling!
    What he said.

Actually I'm OK with Allure too, but there are lot of better options out there. Must de Cartier might be another for you to check out at Nieman's. It's nothing thrilling but it's an extremely well-balanced designer oriental (this seems to be the category you're after).

Regarding Amazon, yes, Amazon vendors are quite legit.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 15th July 2011 at 08:14 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Would you guys recommend Bulgari Black? I was at Nordstrom Rack the other day and saw a 50 mL bottle of it for $30.00

I'm heading out to Neiman Marcus later today to sample all of your recommendations and I'll let you know what I thought.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Sovski View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Would you guys recommend Bulgari Black? I was at Nordstrom Rack the other day and saw a 50 mL bottle of it for $30.00
    Absolutely yes!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Member

Just got back from Neiman Marcus and sampled some of the fragrances. I sampled Chanel Allure Homme, YSL La Nuit' De l'homme, Burberry London and Gucci Guilty. Allure Homme was okay but it didn't really stand out to me. I don't know why the sales lady had me try Gucci Guilty as that is a feminine scent but it was nice even though it seemed a little on the heavy side. La Nuit De L'Homme smelled similar to Gucci Guilty but more masculine, subtle and refined. Burberry London was great too it was definitely my second choice. I ended up getting a 100mL bottle of La Nuit because that's the only size they had. I also got a 40mL bottle of Bulgari Black as a blind buy; I don't mind the initial rubbery scent and am waiting to see how the lower notes blend with the rubber smell. I think I'll be sampling Le Male and the Thierry Mugler's Angel Men line sometime in the future.

Thanks again to everyone I'm looking forward to contributing to the community!

awesome

Be a man, wear A*man!!

Amazon is awesome for fragrances. Also, if you have TJ Maxx, or Marshall's in your area, check out their stock.

When I first read your intro, the first thing that came to mind was Michael Kors for men. Doesn't project insanely, is very masculine, yet still quite modern. I think it's the epitome of the alpha male fragrance, along with Polo original.