Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New brand Brooklyn Perfume Company with four fragrances

I came across a new brand today; Brooklyn Perfume Company.

The perfumer, James Peterson, is also an acclaimed chef, and has launched four fragrances simply called Sandalwood, Musk, Oud, and Amber. I've just entered them into the directory on Basenotes and have spent an entertaining 30 minutes reading about his research and the descriptions of his creations. They all look pretty straightforward, do what they say on the box, but it's obvious he takes care to use quality materials. That is of course reflected in his prices.

Here is an excerpt about "Musk":
    "Many a conversation has been struck up regarding my musk. Most people describe the musk as "feral" or "gamy" or "funky." One person, who loves the musk and wears it everyday, claims that there’s something "disgusting" in it. I describe one of its notes as "dirty bathroom."

While none of this sounds particularly appealing, I find that most people are attracted to this funk and have difficulty pulling their nose away."

Have a look at his web site and please comment if you have tried these scents.

Source: http://james-peterson-cpmu.squarespace.com/
    Last edited by furrypine; 13th January 2015 at 07:41 AM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: New brand Brooklyn Perfume Company with four fragrances

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. These sound like a definite pass for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

These sound like so me. I'm ordering all 4 samples. I love someone who pays so much attention to ingredients. We'll see if he knows how to blend them. Love the 30ml size I'm so tired of 50-100ml bottles.
    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd January 2015 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    These sound like so me. I'm ordering all 4 samples.
    The Musk sounds awful, but in a good way, please report back!
    - Dorothy Parker

I have heard horror stories about this musk. It sounds like it's right up my alley!

Oh, wow - James Peterson! Cool.

I just ordered some samples here. Even the Musk. As it is written in furrypine's signature – there is no cure for curiosity.
    You are the sky. Everything else is just the weather.
    –Pema Chödrön

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Oh, wow - James Peterson! Cool.

I just ordered some samples here. Even the Musk. As it is written in furrypine's signature – there is no cure for curiosity.
    What's strange to me, after 340 plus views, you and I are the only curious ones. I'm starting to notice that many threads are just viewed with very few actual comments. Many lookyloo's lurking here on Basenotes now.

It saddens me when I see this thread "Aventus batch numbers" getting 400,000 plus views with 2,700 plus replies. For the life of me, I can't figure out how batch numbers are more interesting than making new discoveries, but here on Basenotes, they seem to be important.

A small note on batch variations. Creed (Aventus) doesn't have a monopoly on variations. Every batch from very company smells different. I haven not found one company that can duplicate their scents from batch to batch. It's just simply the nature of the business because of the variations of the ingredients they procure.

You musicians out there. You know what I'm talking about. Steinway pianos ( and many, many other instruments) are made with super attention to every minute detail in trying to achieve consistency, but yet every single one of them sounds different. Why should scent be any different?
    Last edited by thebeck; 3rd January 2015 at 04:05 PM.

I tried them on Sunday. Quality materials, each one of them, and definitely worth paying the money for. The musk apparently uses actual musk tincture, which might be why it smells so, so good (poor animals though). And the oud... blue cheese alert! Funky, animalic, glorious stuff. Despite all that praise I've just heaped, there aren't really "twists and turns", and they aren't dressed up, so if that's what you're looking for then they are definitely not for you. But I recommend giving them a shot nevertheless.
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaang View Post
    I tried them on Sunday. Quality materials, each one of them, and definitely worth paying the money for. The musk apparently uses actual musk tincture, which might be why it smells so, so good (poor animals though). And the oud... blue cheese alert! Funky, animalic, glorious stuff. Despite all that praise I've just heaped, there aren't really "twists and turns", and they aren't dressed up, so if that's what you're looking for then they are definitely not for you. But I recommend giving them a shot nevertheless.

Thanks for sharing. My samples will arrive Thursday. He's not using real musk. It's a synthetic concoction he made in the lab.

Basenotes Institution

Wow, his description of Sandalwood caught my eye:

As a young child, my mother was cleaning out a closet and pulled out an old sandalwood fan that her mother bought in the 1920s. It had a distinct dry dusty aroma that today I might call “powdery.” It took me years of searching to discover that sandalwood oil smells nothing of the raw wood. It took me even longer to distinguish one sandalwood from another and to determine which is the best. I finally tracked down a sandalwood oil that I now use as a model—a batch of original Mysore oil from the 1930s.
    "The plant that you have in your home - have you ever truly looked at it? Have you allowed that familiar yet mysterious being we call a plant to teach you its secrets? Have you noticed how deeply peaceful it is? How it is surrounded by a field of stillness? The moment you become aware of a plant's emanation of stillness and peace, that plant becomes your teacher."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, his description of Sandalwood caught my eye:

Sandlewood and Amber are my main interests and Musk and Oud are more out of curiosity. Ever since I first smelled fossilized amber in the frag Body Made Luminous by Scent by Alexis I've been hooked on it - yearning to smell others with this awesome material.
    Last edited by thebeck; 6th January 2015 at 11:39 PM.

Seriously interested in smelling the sandalwood one. Thanks for posting.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

thebeck: Just reporting what I heard from Eric of Twisted Lily! Not sure myself as I've never spoken to the perfumer myself.
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaang View Post
    thebeck: Just reporting what I heard from Eric of Twisted Lily! Not sure myself as I've never spoken to the perfumer myself.
    That's interesting, I don't actually know myself. I got my info from The Brooklyn Perfume Website. If a perfumer could get a hold of illegal Deer Musk, I seriously doubt they would try to put in a commercial product, considering there could be some serious consequences.

Basenotes Institution

I see Twisted Lily sells samples...I will most likely buy some
    "The plant that you have in your home - have you ever truly looked at it? Have you allowed that familiar yet mysterious being we call a plant to teach you its secrets? Have you noticed how deeply peaceful it is? How it is surrounded by a field of stillness? The moment you become aware of a plant's emanation of stillness and peace, that plant becomes your teacher."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

THIS........sounds interesting........however the prices will make me wait for numerous opinions.

Perfume Notes by James Peterson

I’ve always been drawn to the expensive and precious. Diamond necklaces in Tiffany catalogues and twenty-dollar gold pieces never fail to draw a second glance and a twinge of desire. When I discovered that oud costs many times more than gold, my fascination grew such that I had to track some down. When the sample arrived at my door, I thought it was some kind of mistake since so little was in the vial. But once I opened it, I was struck by an ethereal yet animal scent that smelled of a barnyard crossed with the most pronounced and complex wood aroma I had ever smelled. After acquiring more samples—each one was different—I set out to make an oud perfume.

Despite the popularity of oud perfumes, few people know what oud is. Oud oil is distilled from agarwood trees found in India and southeast Asia. To produce oud, the trees must be mature and ideally rather old. They must be attacked by a particular fungus that turns the wood black and makes it so heavy that it sinks in water. People trek through many miles of dense jungle to find a tree that they then bring out in logs. A single tree may be worth well into the six figures and will have its own special character.

I discovered that some ouds are like super highways or bullet trains, sleek and streamlined while other ouds are more like dirt roads. Now don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against dirt roads. In fact, I usually prefer them to super highways. The only problem is that these dirt roads may smell like a subtle blend of various notes of animal effluvia, exotic mushrooms, fields of wild flowers, fruits, and, of course, the smell of wood, not just wood but whole jungle forests.

But describing oud in these terms is analogous to similar describing of wines. I’ve smelled ouds as complex as 50-year-old Bordeaux and Burgundies, yet I can buy 3 ml of very fine oud for $600 for 3 ml, the price of even a bottle of even young wine, from the Domaine de la Romanée Conti. Since I only take a swipe every month or two, my bottle of oud will probably out live me.

One of oud’s miraculous characteristics is its immediately accessible complexity. The same kind of complexity in wine (think Burgundy, Barolo, Brunello, Bordeaux, Mosel, Reingau, Champagne…) is far from cheap and, in any case, is a one-time event. I don’t mean to imply that oud can replace the gentle euphoria produced by the ingestion and aroma of fine wine, but it does have a calming effect in that it forces you to concentrate. It’s a hard thing to just let it wash over you, the aroma of wood and its nuances of licorice, tangerine, pine, gravel and earth. There’s something in it that’s vaguely anal (but not fecal) in a pleasing, sexually stimulating, way. Oud (in particular the burning chips of wood) is used for meditation and draws one’s attention away from the travails of the world.

I know that there are plenty of oud perfumes out there, but frankly they rarely smell of oud. They may contain facets of oud but rarely the whole picture. After much experimentation, including working with ingredients such as nagarmotha that emulate oud’s aroma, I’ve discovered that the only way to make an oud perfume is to put a frightening amount of oud in it.

The oud used in Brooklyn Perfume Company’s oud is cultivated in Assam, in northeast India and is completely sustainable. It has a complex wood aroma reminiscent of fruits, musk and honey. It also has a tiny bit of funk that might remind you of cheese, but the most delicious cheese you’ve ever tasted.

Enjoy your oud in the day or evening. When you first apply the oud, those around you will smell it. As the oud evaporates, only you and your lover will smell it. It’s a powerful aphrodisiac.

Gentlemen, I got all four samples yesterday. For the first time in long time I'm at a loss for words. I'm just going to need to spend some more time with these.

My short impressions:

Sandlewood - Nice, not thrilling, surely not what I expected

Oud - I was expecting a chessy Zafar type Oud - this is not - very user wearable

Musk - I was afraid to sample after doing some reading, but was surprised to my nose this is a very clean musk, not animalic whatsoever, I'm suspecting like so many synthetic musks that I'm anosomic to some of the ingredients and therefore are unable to give a fair review

Amber - I'm liking the fossilize amber in this one so far. Give me 4 days. I'll wear one each day beginning tomorrow and get back with further impressions.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting about the sandalwood one, thebeck. Could you discern whether what you smelled was Mysore?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Interesting about the sandalwood one, thebeck. Could you discern whether what you smelled was Mysore?
    Ditto........however, I believe Crabtree Essence of Mysore would be hard to top.

Today I'm sampling Sandlewood. I can discern this is definitely not Mysore. It's smells like Australian sandlewood to me. They have done a very good job at trying make you think it resembles Mysore by keeping it green, woody, and unsweetened for the life of the fragrance. If you've smelled real Mysore, this one doesn't fool you for a second.

For people that don't know Mysore, this BPC Sandlewood is very nice. Super linear, what you get from the very beginning just stays that way and slowly diminishes. Easily a good to 6-8 hours longevity. Overall I consider this an achievement, considering the limitations of Australian sandlewood.

For sandlewood lovers, this is worth sampling. For the connoisseur, only Mysore will suffice.

For me, I'm spoiled - Mysore is the only sandlewood that makes my nose happy, and I'm willing to pay the big bucks to have it in my scent when I can find it.

1/19 - ADDENDUM:

It seems Mr. Petersen is using Mysore. My apologies for being unable to detect. My reference for Mysore is a scent called Persephone by Sali Oguri. It has 30% aged Mysore sandlewood in the composition. Sali got a small amount of this exceptional batch of Mysore, and made a limited production of Persephone. When you have 30% of an ingredient, it becomes the major player for sure.

Mr. Petersen himself has 17 bottles labeled Mysore. One of 17 stands out from the other 16. I originally thought to myself that James was just such a master nose, he was able to take Australian Sandlewood to new heights, and make us think it was Mysore. Turns out he is using real Mysore ( just not the insanely good batch used in Persephone)

Regardless of which kind of Sandlewood is used here. The scent is special, and the ingredients are of superb quality. I believe James has taken all his experiences with great food and incorporates his experience into these new scent offerings. Being a Foodie myself probably helps me with my connection, and understanding of this new company. I travel around the U.S.A. and make it a point to dine at Charlie Trotter's(Now Closed) Alinea, The French Laundry, Michael Mina's, Joel Robuchon, Spago's etc. When you experience food from those fine restaurants, you have a great appreciation for the art of food. When you experience BPC, you'll appreciate the art of perfume.
    Last edited by thebeck; 19th January 2015 at 03:38 PM.

Yesterday and today I sampled Oud. I just ordered all four samples from this company out of curiosity. Oud I really wasn't even curious about, being sort of done with Ouds and having zero interest in ever smelling another.

WOW! I'm so happy I decided give this one a sampling. I put this Oud on yesterday morning. Goes on easy, in the beginning you'll be able to smell some blue cheese mixed with honey when I put my wrist up close to my nose. This is not like any blue cheese I've smelled in many other Ouds. This is the Beluga Caviar of the blue cheese note in Ouds. The quality of the cheese and fresh golden honey sits right on the skin just making your nose crave another sniff. Every other Oud with blue cheese has turned my nose away until the dry down. Not so here, it's heavenly and addicting from first applying.

The Oud is real. Nothing synthetic that I can detect. This is a very deep woody oud with fruity and musky accents which take turns giving your nose surprises The deep wood and honey notes are constant from beginning to end. It can be animalic, floral, earthy, fresh, and other unexpected surprise elements to this complex scent. Like Mr.Toad's Wild Ride, every twist and turn brings another pleasure. Zero olfactory fatigue. You'll get whiffs of yourself all day long, and when I did, I wasn't ready what I smelled. After sampling over 4,000 scents, some of the good ones have been heavenly, compelling, addicting, gorgeous, fantastic, masterpiece but not one has been the aphrodisiac this Oud scent is.

The only reason I sampled two days in a row because I was so blown away at day one. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my choice of smoke interfering with my conclusions.

Gentlemen this is simply the best oud blend I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. It's not loud, funky or any other nasty term I can think of. This is an oud you can wear to the office. It stays generally close to the skin, releasing small puffs ever so gently for the wearer to enjoy.

This scent would be enjoyed by anyone that likes deep woody scents, just forget there's oud in it, and enjoy - I did. By the way today (day 2) was just as awesome as day 1.

Like I said, this is my first aphrodisiac scent. I could smell myself this morning and it was amazing to wake up to. How do you rate something that does something to your senses that no other scent has previously? Because this scent does everything phenomenal in every category, I have no choice except to give it a 10/10.

I never understood all the hoopla over oud, now I get it.

I don't know if any of you ever saw Fantasy Island (hit TV series from 1977-84) Tattoo played by Hervé Villechaize would always say De Plane! De Plane! BPC Oud makes me want to say De WOOD! De WOOD!

To James Peterson - I'm at a loss for words how much pleasure your Oud gives me. A true aphrodisiac for the nose. The smell of my wife, was my only aphrodisiac, until you figured out how to bottle that feeling. A beautiful work of art without any gimmickry.

Bottom line is I don't buy full bottles anymore since my retirement, but I will not be without some of this Oud. Off to the splits board to get a stash.
    Last edited by thebeck; 16th January 2015 at 05:29 PM.

Hi all, great to see this discussion here!

thebeck, enjoyed reading your impressions of the Oud perfume. Sounds like a breakthrough experience! Love it.

In the interest of disclosure, James is a friend - we've spent many hours discussing perfume and sharing our ideas and our creations with each other. I've worn all four of his line and have had a privileged look into their making.

With that on the table, I can honestly say as a perfume enthusiast that this stuff is the real deal. All four of these are unique and very well-made. None of them smell too much like anything that is on the market that I am familiar with. However none of them are weird or shocking for the sake of a gimmick to stand out. A must try line for niche/indie/jaded noses.

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you all think.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for your impressions thebeck - I sort of thought it might be Australian that was being used in the BPC Sandalwood.

semanticnoise - would you be able to confirm whether there is Australian sandalwood in this scent or not?

The Oud sounds wonderful. How would you compare it to the perfume/solid Oud Luban by Aftelier which I believe you own?

-- Eckhart Tolle

mikeperez23 - I can't confirm the origin of the ingredients in the perfume nor am I an expert in sandalwoods but I do find this one very nice.

Basenotes Plus

Yesterday and today I sampled Oud. I just ordered all four samples from this company out of curiosity. Oud I really wasn't even curious about, being sort of done with Ouds and having zero interest in ever smelling another.

WOW! I'm so happy I decided give this one a sampling. I put this Oud on yesterday morning. Goes on easy, in the beginning you'll be able to smell some blue cheese mixed with honey when I put my wrist up close to my nose. This is not like any blue cheese I've smelled in many other Ouds. This is the Beluga Caviar of the blue cheese note in Ouds. The quality of the cheese and fresh golden honey sits right on the skin just making your nose crave another sniff. Every other Oud with blue cheese has turned my nose away until the dry down. Not so here, it's heavenly and addicting from first applying.

The Oud is real. Nothing synthetic that I can detect. This is a very deep woody oud with fruity and musky accents which take turns giving your nose surprises The deep wood and honey notes are constant from beginning to end. It can be animalic, floral, earthy, fresh, and other unexpected surprise elements to this complex scent. Like Mr.Toad's Wild Ride, every twist and turn brings another pleasure. Zero olfactory fatigue. You'll get whiffs of yourself all day long, and when I did, I wasn't ready what I smelled. After sampling over 4,000 scents, some of the good ones have been heavenly, compelling, addicting, gorgeous, fantastic, masterpiece but not one has been the aphrodisiac this Oud scent is.

The only reason I sampled two days in a row because I was so blown away at day one. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my choice of smoke interfering with my conclusions.

Gentlemen this is simply the best oud blend I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. It's not loud, funky or any other nasty term I can think of. This is an oud you can wear to the office. It stays generally close to the skin, releasing small puffs ever so gently for the wearer to enjoy.

This scent would be enjoyed by anyone that likes deep woody scents, just forget there's oud in it, and enjoy - I did. By the way today (day 2) was just as awesome as day 1.

Like I said, this is my first aphrodisiac scent. I could smell myself this morning and it was amazing to wake up to. How do you rate something that does something to your senses that no other scent has previously? Because this scent does everything phenomenal in every category, I have no choice except to give it a 10/10.

To James Peterson - I'm at a loss for words how much pleasure your Oud gives me. A true aphrodisiac for the nose. The smell of my wife, was my only aphrodisiac, until you figured out how to bottle that feeling. A beautiful work of art without any gimmickry.
    It's posts like this that completely obliterate my bank account. You're killing me bro.........

Thanks thebeck; smelling like blue cheese has never sounded more enticing!
    - Dorothy Parker

Thanks for your impressions thebeck - I sort of thought it might be Australian that was being used in the BPC Sandalwood.

semanticnoise - would you be able to confirm whether there is Australian sandalwood in this scent or not?

The Oud sounds wonderful. How would you compare it to the perfume/solid Oud Luban by Aftelier which I believe you own?
    You're correct, I do own a tin of Oud Louban Solid. I still like it. Oud Louban has 8 varieties of with oud with some orange citrusy top notes and frankincense The base with choya ral makes it smoky with some patchouli and sweetened with benzoin. Totally different different scents for sure. With Oud BPC, for the first time I'm getting the agarwood smell I was expecting to get from other oud blends, but have not, until now. Mike, I know you love sandlewood for it's distinct type of wood. Oud BPC illuminates the WOOD part better than the others I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Thanks thebeck; smelling like blue cheese has never sounded more enticing!
    Have you ever ordered a cheese plate for dessert at a fine restaurant? Picture the blue cheese sitting over to the far side next to the honey and fruit accompaniments. Lean over the plate about 8-10" - you'll get the aroma of the blue cheese mixed with the accompaniments, and honey being more pronounced than the fruit. That's the smell I get, and it's a delight. In Oud BPC the blue cheese note is always accompanied with some honey. What a nice pairing.
    Last edited by thebeck; 13th January 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by semanticnoise View Post
    mikeperez23 - I can't confirm the origin of the ingredients in the perfume nor am I an expert in sandalwoods but I do find this one very nice.
    Just to be fair to BPC, I don't know what sandlewood he uses either, only that it smells like Australian to me.

Musk sampling.

I know I'm anosmic to macrocyclic musks - 50% of the human race is also. So the perfumer uses combinations or a cocktail to try and get around that obstacle

Some macrocyclic musks are:

Ethlene brassilate

Globalide (Habanolide)

Ambrettolide

Muscone

Thibetolide (Exaltolide)

Velvione

So the bottom line is gentlemen, I can't review a perfume that has so many ingredients I'm anosmic too.

I'm real curious to hear thoughts from the other 50% that can smell synthetic musks.
    Last edited by thebeck; 16th January 2015 at 04:59 PM.

Nice write up, you've peaked my interest in this. I'll look out for your write up on the Amber.

My Top 5, In no particular order
    1). Creed Aventus - S042C13ZZ01
    2). Creed Aventus - C42C14F01
    3). Creed Aventus - FP42C14A02
    4). Creed Aventus - A42B11Y02
    5). Creed Aventus - A42C13Z01

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by semanticnoise View Post
    Just to be fair to BPC, I don't know what sandlewood he uses either, only that it smells like Australian to me.
    Well, I copied a paragraph from his website, in the description of Sandalwood and it says: "Sandalwood oil has been used for millennia and is made by distilling the wood of the tree to come up with a viscous, golden, and aromatic liquid. It has a slightly sweet (but never cloying) and balsamic somewhat animalic aroma. The best sandalwood, and that used in Brooklyn Perfume Company’s, comes from eastern India in the region of Mysore. Traditional sandalwood comes from old wild and practically extinct trees, but that used in our perfume is made from sustainable harvested trees. It has been well aged to develop an even deeper aroma..."

To clarify I emailed him from the Contact link on his website & asked him what type of sandalwood he uses. I will let you know if I get a reply

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dear Mike, I understand your confusion about Mysore sandalwood. To be honest, I don't know if I'm using Australian or Mysore because I have 17 different bottles that all say Mysore. My procedure was simply to pick the most enticing one. (Some were obviously out of place and hence not Mysore.) If one of you out there discovers that indeed I'm using Australian sandalwood--and you must have an awfully good nose--I will continue my search. (I'm having an olfactory "degustation" at the Twisted Lily where I'm getting some other perfumers to weigh in on my 17 bottles.) Once I find the real deal, I will insert it into my formula. I'm committed to using the most beautiful ingredients out there.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks James - I can understand the confusion regarding oils "marketed" as Mysore and those that are truly Mysore.

I look forward to getting my nose on the Sandalwood very soon - I just bought some samples earlier today.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I will persist in my search for the best stuff out there.

PalmBeach is offering splits on all four frags. I'm having withdrawals from running out of my Oud sample. Had to jump in and get a 10ml spot.

A pass for me. Doesn't interest me for some reason although there might be a gem in there.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'm trying to verify for sure that what I'm using is Mysore and haven't had a whole lot of luck. I have 17 bottles of sandalwood that all say Mysore, so I took them all over to The Twisted Lily where I smelled them with Eric (the owner), his assistant Anna (who has a great nose), my perfume-loving friend Sukey Pett, and my perfumer friend, Hans Hendley. My intention was to get the group to divide the samples into 2 camps with each camp sharing particular aspects in common. My analogy was to taste two different 1rst-growth Bordeaux and be able to separate them. In any case, we didn't come to any definitive conclusions. I had them compare each sample to my gold standard (an eighty-year old Mysore, with solid provenance) and everyone concurred that they were similar in structure and shared certain central aromas with mine, while mine, of course, wasn't as complex as the gold standard. One stood out as particularly good--almost floral, gently lactonic, and less coniferous than the others. I may consider using it for the next batch. The question is whether these subtle differences between one bottle and the rest are enough to call the exception, Mysore. I'm going to experiment with plugging the various samples into my sandalwood (I mean the finished perfume) and see what happens. Thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    I'm trying to verify for sure that what I'm using is Mysore and haven't had a whole lot of luck. I have 17 bottles of sandalwood that all say Mysore, so I took them all over to The Twisted Lily where I smelled them with Eric (the owner), his assistant Anna (who has a great nose), my perfume-loving friend Sukey Pett, and my perfumer friend, Hans Hendley. My intention was to get the group to divide the samples into 2 camps with each camp sharing particular aspects in common. My analogy was to taste two different 1rst-growth Bordeaux and be able to separate them. In any case, we didn't come to any definitive conclusions. I had them compare each sample to my gold standard (an eighty-year old Mysore, with solid provenance) and everyone concurred that they were similar in structure and shared certain central aromas with mine, while mine, of course, wasn't as complex as the gold standard. One stood out as particularly good--almost floral, gently lactonic, and less coniferous than the others. I may consider using it for the next batch. The question is whether these subtle differences between one bottle and the rest are enough to call the exception, Mysore. I'm going to experiment with plugging the various samples into my sandalwood (I mean the finished perfume) and see what happens. Thank you all for your input.
    Thanks for sharing James. It takes a lot of guts to post here. Being candid and honest shows us just what kind of man you are. The kind I enjoy doing business with. I'm having withdrawals from running out of my Oud. Another Basenoter and I are going to share a bottle of Oud. It's already been ordered. I'll be on the look out for the next batch of Sandlewood.
    Last edited by thebeck; 19th January 2015 at 01:09 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks James. I would reckon probably most of what you own, that's labeled Mysore, is Mysore if you bought it from a reputable vendor & inquired with them directly about it's "source". However, as you can see, aged stuff just smells so friggin good!!

Question: how did you smell 17 different samples? On paper strips? Or on skin?

I have been out of work sick all week but I believe that when I get back to work tomorrow I might have a package on my desk - my samples of Sandalwood and Oud that I bought. I hope so!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi thebeck,
    Thank you for your kind reply. I must ask you. Have you tried the amber? It is the one I consider the most pheromonic. In fact, all the perfumes are erogenic (the only artificial musk I know of to be so) except the sandalwood. Dying to hear your thoughts about everything. Glad you like the oud. (The Twisted Lily has samples of all the perfumes.)
    Best,
    Jim

Dear mikeperez,
    I hate to admit it, but we started by just putting our noses to the bottles. This wasn't really a problem since there was no alcohol involved. Then we tried skin application over every conceivable (well, almost) part of our bodies. All of them seemed gorgeous on the skin.
    Jim

Hi thebeck,
    Thank you for your kind reply. I must ask you. Have you tried the amber? It is the one I consider the most pheromonic. In fact, all the perfumes are erogenic (the only artificial musk I know of to be so) except the sandalwood. Dying to hear your thoughts about everything. Glad you like the oud. (The Twisted Lily has samples of all the perfumes.)
    Best,
    Jim
    Of course I tried the amber. For me amber wasn't pheromonic to my nose, but the oud just drove me crazy like a dog in heat. I had some things to say about your amber
    here on post #4 http://www.basenotes.net/threads/396...light=o%27hira

Basenotes Institution

I tested 2 ml's of the Sandalwood on two separate days. I dumped the glass vials into atomizers and sprayed them on - like I do with all of my samples, I hate dabbing on samples.

The top notes are the most engaging part of the scent - a combination of hushed woodiness (with a green edge) and something that reminds me of a spice (fenugreek? curry?) note that I smell in Arabie by Serge Lutens. It's not strong, this spice note, neither is it sweet it's just...there. It fades in probably 10 minutes or so. The sandalwood note is slightly green, not full-on aromatic (well...it doesn't have that dill note that certain sandalwoods have) but yet it has an organic sort of 'raw' texture to it. Once the scent warms up on skin it became less and less interesting (something that rarely happens to me when I wear scents that contain Mysore sandalwood - it's usually the opposite) and the woods became stronger, clearer (well...less hushed) and more alive...like cut sandalwood. But NOT Mysore sandalwood. Nothing creamy. Nothing slightly lactic or milk-like...you know that almost curdled-milk effect that aged Mysore has. Obviously there is a natural quality to the scent - there isn't anything synthetic at all in it. Rather it is simple, linear and woody. If I had to compare the overall accord it manages to smell like, it would be like a rich, luxurious Parfum version of the Sandalwood by Caswell & Massey (that I happen to own 2 bottles of). The C&M Sandalwood I have to be careful not to overapply because it is strongly synthetic and it shows that side when over applied. If you always liked the C&M Sandalwood but always wanted something more natural smelling and less hissy - the Brooklyn Perfume Company's will hit the spot. But, for me, this scent doesn't impress me that much.

Now the Oud, it did. I will post more about that one when I've worn it more than once.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I tested 2 ml's of the Sandalwood on two separate days. I dumped the glass vials into atomizers and sprayed them on - like I do with all of my samples, I hate dabbing on samples.

The top notes are the most engaging part of the scent - a combination of hushed woodiness (with a green edge) and something that reminds me of a spice (fenugreek? curry?) note that I smell in Arabie by Serge Lutens. It's not strong, this spice note, neither is it sweet it's just...there. It fades in probably 10 minutes or so. The sandalwood note is slightly green, not full-on aromatic (well...it doesn't have that dill note that certain sandalwoods have) but yet it has an organic sort of 'raw' texture to it. Once the scent warms up on skin it became less and less interesting (something that rarely happens to me when I wear scents that contain Mysore sandalwood - it's usually the opposite) and the woods became stronger, clearer (well...less hushed) and more alive...like cut sandalwood. But NOT Mysore sandalwood. Nothing creamy. Nothing slightly lactic or milk-like...you know that almost curdled-milk effect that aged Mysore has. Obviously there is a natural quality to the scent - there isn't anything synthetic at all in it. Rather it is simple, linear and woody. If I had to compare the overall accord it manages to smell like, it would be like a rich, luxurious Parfum version of the Sandalwood by Caswell & Massey (that I happen to own 2 bottles of). The C&M Sandalwood I have to be careful not to overapply because it is strongly synthetic and it shows that side when over applied. If you always liked the C&M Sandalwood but always wanted something more natural smelling and less hissy - the Brooklyn Perfume Company's will hit the spot. But, for me, this scent doesn't impress me that much.

Now the Oud, it did. I will post more about that one when I've worn it more than once.
    Interesting........and your description is appreciated. I completely get what your saying because I happen to enjoy Sandalwood like you do. With some many variations of the note out there, trying to mimic Mysore, it's either frustrating searching for "the one" or a person may find it an expensive adventure.

I suppose I have satisfied my sandalwood itch, over the years, with a few classic releases and I've chosen to be content with that. The alternative is for me to chase the elusive, perfect one.........and I'm satisfied reading excellent opinions like the one you just posted.

I'm looking forward to your take on the oud..............

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for the info. These sound like a definite pass for me.
    makes perfect sense....
    Want to trade - Tauer LddM for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Gucci Envy....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

What's strange to me, after 340 plus views, you and I are the only curious ones. I'm starting to notice that many threads are just viewed with very few actual comments. Many lookyloo's lurking here on Basenotes now.
    Its because of the plain looking bottles.
    Want to trade - Tauer LddM for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Gucci Envy....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

All right, I'm intrigued. I just got in on a split of the oud. The musk sounds a little too funky for my tastes, the amber might be interesting (but I just got a whole bunch of amber perfumes), and I'm actually not a big sandalwood fan, so this was the natural choice.

I like oud in general but not when it's overly cheesy; Zafar was way too much for me. A little bit of cheese that fades into a deep wood, however, piques my curiosity...

Just a comment on the amber. It is made from fossilized amber, not the accord we normally think of. As far as I know there are no (or very few) fossilized amber perfumes out there.

Just a comment on the amber. It is made from fossilized amber, not the accord we normally think of. As far as I know there are no (or very few) fossilized amber perfumes out there.
    The only one I was aware of until you mentioned this was O Hira by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd February 2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The only one I was aware of until you mentioned this was O Hira by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777
    Body Made Luminous by Scent by Alexis also has fossilized amber which I own a bottle, and love.

Default New brand Brooklyn Perfume Company with four fragrances

Several Slumberhouse and Matriarch scents use fossilized amber as well. It's barely detectable in O Hira, but quite prominent in others. It pops up quite often in the indies, but you won't see it used in mass-produced stuff. It's a great material!
    Last edited by deadidol; 3rd February 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Interesting........and your description is appreciated. I completely get what your saying because I happen to enjoy Sandalwood like you do. With some many variations of the note out there, trying to mimic Mysore, it's either frustrating searching for "the one" or a person may find it an expensive adventure.

I suppose I have satisfied my sandalwood itch, over the years, with a few classic releases and I've chosen to be content with that. The alternative is for me to chase the elusive, perfect one.........and I'm satisfied reading excellent opinions like the one you just posted.

I'm looking forward to your take on the oud..............
    Thanks SleepySmells. I wouldn't say that I'm still looking for 'the one'. Rather I am always ready to try Mysore sandalwood scents to smell all of the different facets of the note. It's endless and fun.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thank you SexySmells for your careful observations and analysis of my sandalwood perfume. I agree with you in many ways. I love the way the perfume opens up at the beginning, but as you say it tends to be less dramatic as it dries down. I'm working on a solution to this problem--more sandalwood perhaps? Sandalore? Musk? Since sandalwood itself tends to be quite persistent, I think this might solve the dry down problem. Of course there's a limit to my folly since I can't make the whole thing sandalwood! Any input from base noters would be appreciated.

More Mysore! Can't go wrong with that.

Thank you SexySmells for your careful observations and analysis of my sandalwood perfume. I agree with you in many ways. I love the way the perfume opens up at the beginning, but as you say it tends to be less dramatic as it dries down. I'm working on a solution to this problem--more sandalwood perhaps? Sandalore? Musk? Since sandalwood itself tends to be quite persistent, I think this might solve the dry down problem. Of course there's a limit to my folly since I can't make the whole thing sandalwood! Any input from base noters would be appreciated.

It's probably just me, but I think some aged patchouli would keep it dramatic into the dry down.

Basenotes Junkie superfluousPastry's Avatar
    Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    IOne person, who loves the musk and wears it everyday, claims that there’s something "disgusting" in it. I describe one of its notes as "dirty bathroom."
    I love musks! ...but 'dirty bathroom'? Seriously? It probably would have a different connotation to me should I ever smell it but I don't find that description to be at all enticing. "Underwear worn for a week in the summer" I can wrap my head around and, depending on who was wearing these underpants, I might like it. "Dirty bathroom" brings to mind a stopped up gas station toilet, in my mind.
    Teach him to play Monopoly, not to sing in the rain. - Ian Anderson

White people problem #8,329: "Trolls are making fun of my favorite perfume house on the internet!"

Basenotes Plus

Names are simple. Hopefully that are indicative of the actual scents.

Ugh. Heavens. Perhaps that description is too extreme. I'm thinking something like airport bathroom--that vague funkiness that doesn't really smell like any one specific thing.
    Last edited by James Peterson; 5th February 2015 at 06:03 PM.