Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Drakkar Noir - Old Formula Again?

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Label is different on mine and it's a splash. The bottle looks almost identical to the standard spray though.

Look around - you will see the subtle differences, but there are numerous sizes, etc. to consider. Personally, I would try to find a bargain on a current formulation first if you are not familiar with the scent. The latest version is everywhere and you can get great deals on gift sets, etc. - and it smells great. Unless you really want old-school moss and heavier, greasy leather...I would go with current formulation which has excellent notes and very good longevity and projection.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the input, ericrico

Actually I have a current DK (bought in set with a/s balm and deo stick in 2008) and not so happy with this comparing the one I had in late 90th.
    Maybe its just mine imagination or "vintage_is_better" matter but I think the current is not so long lasting and "bold" than previous one.
    Im just try to find out if the juice in bottles like this (vintage?)

would be better than in current ones, or its just waisting the time/money?

You're welcome! I have to say that it is subjective. The more I wear current formulation, the more I like it...and it's guaranteed fresh!! If you are determined to get Vintage, make sure the seller is very reputable and has a solid return policy.

The problem is a lot of the juice you find out on eBay from several decades ago has not been stored properly and you get poor quality juice. This is true with fragrances even 10-15 years old, let alone 20-30 years! I communicate thoroughly with sellers prior to committing my time and effort (and bids). Know what you are getting or know that the person you are buying it from is a true professional and has integrity.

Personally, after wearing the current formulation numerous times in the last several weeks, I don't believe spending a premium on old juice that may have gone bad is worth the time of 90-95%+ of the folks out there. My situation was specific - the seller communicated very effectively and I bought it with confidence. It was wrapped very professionally and shipped within 24 hours of purchase with tracking and explicit communication from the seller. I love what eBay can offer, but you must be careful.

Also, do you want to smell like old-school, vintage moss-laden fragrance? If you look at the numerous threads (including mine), you will see that only people who want the heavier, darker and greasier scent are considering vintage. It is not wearable (IMHO) in a professional setting nor would it be tolerable by a lot of younger generation folks (female & male). If you are around 40, wear old-school clothes, prefer leather jackets and have broken in a few pairs of Doc Martens in your lifetime, then go for it! If you got some tattoos, those are a plus. But, I don't know you at all - so this is a generalization...please do not take offense (humor is intended as well). :-) Know that Vintage juice from Drakkar Noir and other powerhouse fragrances will WEAR you if you are not a macho guy with some serious swagger. Do you play guitar, listen to punk rock and actually know who Social Distortion and the Sex Pistols are...? A bit about me - I'm 39 years old, 6'3", 190-195lbs., work out regularly, either spike my hair or slick it back, play an older Les Paul through classic Marshall and Mesa Boogie 100 watt heads, have owned Doc Martens since I was teenager (still have 4 pairs in my rotation of boots/shoes), spend too much money on hip clothes, always care what I smell like and just saw Social Distortion on Feb. 13th live! I shave when I want to and walk with an attitude. Almost everything I value is vintage, retro, chic and away from current trends. People who know me say I have not changed at all since high school. I have just become more refined in taste over the years...and appreciate stronger, heavier scents that can be aggressive and smell dated.

So, I hope this helps you make your decision. Some people have bought Vintage and cannot bring themselves to wear it - I fall into the "Other" category while still really admiring current formulation (and will continue to wear regularly!). Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by aquariuz View Post
    Thanks for the input, ericrico

Actually I have a current DK (bought in set with a/s balm and deo stick in 2008) and not so happy with this comparing the one I had in late 90th.
    Maybe its just mine imagination or "vintage_is_better" matter but I think the current is not so long lasting and "bold" than previous one.
    Im just try to find out if the juice in bottles like this (vintage?)

would be better than in current ones, or its just waisting the time/money?
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Hey Shamu -

It is indeed! With my Vintage bottle, I will layer some of the old juice along with the current formulation - as I do with virtually all reformulations and see what the results are...expectations are set high. I aim to get the richer base notes (heavier moss & darker leather) along with the great green notes, juniper, spiciness of the current formulation of DN!

I have been loving Francesco Smalto Pour Homme's smokiness as a layering scent to a day's wearing of Drakkar Noir - just 3-4 shots in the evening and I'm feelin' damn good! Changes the notes a bit, but you keep a lot the same (great effect at drydown stage of DN). I saw your blog on layering Krizia Uomo with Lapidus Pour Homme the other day. I really like Krizia Uomo - great scent, but I gotta try that concoction! I just picked up a Vintage 100ml bottle of Spazio Krizia Uomo the other day and have a 50ml bottle of Moods on the way ironically! Krizia is way under-rated as a house...fantastic and original compositions. I am playing catch-up before the rest of the universe buys it all up. ;-)

By the way (on a side note), are you familiar with Charles Jourdan Un Homme? I recently bought a small lot of sealed 100ml bottles in their original boxes - reputable seller from an estate sale...all perfect! That is a fragrance that I will be writing a review on soon (very impressive indeed!). I was also VERY lucky to get a huge (8oz!) beautiful flacon of Vintage Revillon Pour Homme (1977) in perfect condition a short while back. It is fantastic and simply stunning juice, IMO. Two retro, old-school beauties...that are impossible to find (almost)!

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Great job, man! That's some serious power!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

The best way to spot a vintage bottle is by three ways. First, the back of a vintage bottle should say it's distributed by Cosmair. The current formulation says something like Luxury Beauty Products, LLC, or something along those lines. I believe Drakkar Noir terminated the relationship with Cosmair in the mid 90's and probably rolled-out the new formulation shortly thereafter. Second, the word "Paris" on the front of the vintage bottle is spaced much closer together. The new formulation has the spacing much further apart; i.e. vintage bottle--"PARIS" whereas new formulation is "P A R I S". Third, the Drakkar box should have a copyright on it. If the copyright is the 80's or 90s, then you my friend have a vintage bottle.

I purchased one vintage bottle from eBay and unfortunately the juice was bad. I think the bottle was from 1982 and I can tell it lost it's luster. I also picked up a fresher vintage bottle at local high-end pharmacy in NYC. I figured the pharmacy didn't sell a tone of Drakkar Noir and went in and discovered a vintage bottle sitting on the shelf from the late 80's or early 90's. I couldn't believe it and purchased it right on the spot.

One thing I can say about the current juice is that it's temperamental as hell, power-wise. One day it's got enough power to asphyxiate a shopping mall, while other days it's a skin scent. I'm wearing it right now, and it smells pretty tame. I could wear it tomorrow and set off air raid sirens.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I agree, Shamu1. I've found that Drakkar Noir really cranks out when my body warms up such as when I workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    I agree, Shamu1. I've found that Drakkar Noir really cranks out when my body warms up such as when I workout.
    You may have a point there. I've just been sitting on my ass all morning, which might account for the weak sillage.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I think it may be one reason why people report widely different experiences with Drakkar. Some people are more active and the fragrance probably heats up and smells better. Just my two cents.

Interesting point, Shamu. I have found with Drakkar Noir and other powerhouse fragrances is that they all tend to respond to both body heat/temperature and weather accordingly. On a warmer day and my body temp rises from physical activity (even walking) - old-school fragrances radiate. Cool days, leisure activity - calm and tranquil. I don't find the same with synthetic, modern scents. What you spray is often what you get (it's only a matter of how much you spray), but weather will stay play a factor...just less so.

Interesting to point out - the entire fragrance (top, middle & bottom notes) seem to reform on me. I sometimes wonder if reapplying is the right choice or doing 50 push-ups and running in place for a few minutes. :-) Funny thing - I went to the gym the other night and played basketball. It was a cold night and I wore an undershirt from earlier in the day under my workout clothes. I had applied Drakkar Noir and a couple shots of Francesco Smalto Pour Homme over 5 hours hours earlier. After working up a good sweat, I paused and realized that I was radiating fragrance! Every other guy there smelled like dirty socks and BO. We had a laugh and played on.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    One thing I can say about the current juice is that it's temperamental as hell, power-wise. One day it's got enough power to asphyxiate a shopping mall, while other days it's a skin scent. I'm wearing it right now, and it smells pretty tame. I could wear it tomorrow and set off air raid sirens.
    Last edited by ericrico; 24th October 2012 at 05:31 PM.

I find most frags work better when you are moving instead of sitting around all day. Some however seem to sweat away if you sweat too much.

Okay - final point on this. I applied both current and vintage Drakkar Noir formulations to the backs of my hands (so I would smell the fragrance without too much warm up - I wanted to get as much from the top down as possible for notes). On the back of my left hand is a single full spray of current formulation Drakkar Noir. Very green and aromatic with nice fir, smooth lavender, rosemary, artemisia, a splash of citrus, wonderful juniper, patchouli, intermixed wood & some "spiced" florals and nice leather (with a touch of moss) - excellent and very refreshing!

On the back of my right hand is Vintage - dark green, warm lavender, denser fir, more patchouli, awesome rich and greasy leather with deep and damp oakmoss notes. There is a nice dusty/powdery quality from the cinnamon here. The bright notes are all turned down while the dark ones are turned up. Still the artemisia, rosemary and basil - herbal notes, but more dried versus fresh-cut. Juniper is here and present - but not lifted...more of the juniper bush smell versus the berry (dank and resinous versus lifted but still fragrant). Similarly, the floral notes are somewhat muted (only slightly there) - but under some dry, earthy vetiver (a note I do not find in current formulation). Definitely several shades more towards "black" versus green overall - very impressive. The Vintage is for fragrance lovers and a macho night scent and, in my opinion, not for everyday wear. Offensive? Perhaps to some. Not a first date scent, while current formulation is.

The depth of the leather and the heavy moss in the Vintage formulation (as I mentioned before) are the key differences. Unmistakeably, it is the same fragrance, but time has evolved what is acceptable and allowed in the juice. I will go as far as saying that both fragrances are excellent.

Verdict - left hand (current formulation): Brighter, greener and more accessible. Refined, yet still rich. Excellent blended composition of notes that retain the true essence of Guy Laroche's brilliant Drakkar Noir. Final score - 8+/10 and what I will typically reach for.

Right hand (vintage formulation): darker, deeper, heavier and less accessible (richer leather & damp moss being the key differences). Very thick and rather unforgiving...aggressive. Not for casual wear. Composition is classic, sophisticated, strong & bold. My score as a fragrance lover - 9/10, but this is not for those who are looking for a bottle of juice to "fit in" - but rather "stand-out".

I am very happy to have both...and know that the vintage is one to be kept for "special" occasions only - ones where you don't care what people think about you, because you don't care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    I too now agree with you, ericrico, despite my earlier post. The formula has no doubt changed. I also own (actually trying to sell it on eBay, but I'm thinking about cancelling the sale) a vintage bottle. You can easily tell the difference between the old and new stuff, for sure. However, I don't get better longevity out of the old and I somewhat prefer the newer stuff. Quick question: how much did you pay for your 100ml vintage splash bottle? I'm trying to sell mine for $100.
    Last edited by ericrico; 10th January 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I think you should tight roll your jeans when you wear Drakkar.....everybody is doing it : )
    I lol when read this. +1

Awesome review, ericrico. Nicely done and well stated.

Can everyone here post when their bottle was made? I am a huge fan of Drakkar and have spend several hundred dollars buying different bottles trying to find the Drakkar that I used to remember.

The first bottle of Drakkar I've ever bought was amazing. It blew my mind and had a very dark masculine smell. I bought it from a small fragrance shop in NYC. I remember that the bottle was dated, somewhere in the 90s but I don't remember the specific year. I later then bought several bottles which was drastically different in my opinion, and I have verified that they are indeed Drakkar and not a knock off. However, it was clearly different and everyone that I wore the original Drakkar around noticed the difference too.

I was convinced that they changed the formula, but couldn't find any information on it, until I came upon this thread. I can't believe it took me 3 years to find out that they changed the formula, and I'm glad that I'm not the only person that noticed. The current bottle I have is marked 2004 on the back of the bottle, and is not what I am looking for. I am certain that the formula changed between 1993 and 2004, but I want to be able to know the specific year they changed it.

According to this thread, they may have brought back the original formula. I want to know the specific dates marked on the bottle that has the original formula, because most bottles I find now days are dated between 2007 and 2010. I've smelled the 2007 one, and I don't think that's the original, but I'm not 100% certain. I hope that this thread will continue to be kept active so that we can finally figure out what they did and how to get the original formula and smell. I have no problem spending another few hundred dollars just to find out when the formula changed and how to identify which bottles have the original smell... and yes that's how much I love Drakkar, but I would like some opinions on this before I go blindly buying more bottles for this purpose. Thanks everyone!

lainekillua, they've definitely changed the formula. I have a bottle of the original, probably late 80's or early 90's and it's different from my current bottle. I originally thought the new version went back to the old--it's pretty close--but was corrected when I found a vintage bottle in a NYC store. The thing is, the newer version has better longevity on me than the older version. But the older version is smoother and more refined, if you know what I mean. Like you, I spent a lot of time and resources trying to find a vintage bottle. I found the easiest way to discover one: vintage bottles were distributed by Cosmair, which should be written on the back of the bottle. I believe the new ones are currently distributed by Luxury Beauty Products, LLC, or something like that. So, if you come across a bottle that has Cosmair written on it, than you're gold--you have a vintage bottle. I did some research a while back and believe Cosmair stopped distributing Drakkar in the late 90's. By the way, I may be interested in unloading my vintage bottle if you're interested.

Hm, that's good information to have... with what you've said I think I found the change year to be 1996. Not sure though, I'll have to do some more research. I'll see if I can find any vintage bottles around my area. If not, I might consider buying some from you. How many do you have and what size are the bottle(s)?

Cool. Yeah, I would research it and try to find a vintage bottle. You'll immediately recognize the smell. I have a small bottle, I think 1.7oz. I have the orginal packaging too with the copyright of 1989.

My latest bottle of this was form a department store, but I've seen a bottle that is different and says '80%' on the front. Is this a vintage formula does anyone know?

Here is very helpful Adreas Moreau link:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

I have thesse bottles of Drakkar Noir:

Product Batch Pr. year Copyright Distributor. Guy Laroche Address
    EDT splash 30ml UG0A 1987 ------ Cosmair Ave Matignon
    EDT spray 100ml ------- 1992 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    DEO spray 50ml UN152 1993 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 50ml UU089 1999 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UW18R 2001 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UX074 2002 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UY322 2003 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UE008 2008 2004 Luxury products 16, place Vendome

My subjective opinion is, that until production year 1993 Drakkar Noir is the best fragrance in the whole world.

Bottles from the 80-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche Paris (in one line)

Bottles from the 90-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    Paris

Bottles from the 00-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    P A R I S
    Last edited by noodles; 24th July 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Here is very helpful Adreas Moreau link:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

I have thesse bottles of Drakkar Noir:

Product Batch Pr. year Copyright Distributor. Guy Laroche Address
    EDT splash 30ml UG0A 1987 ------ Cosmair Ave Matignon
    EDT spray 100ml ------- 1992 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    DEO spray 50ml UN152 1993 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 50ml UU089 1999 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UW18R 2001 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UX074 2002 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UY322 2003 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UE008 2008 2004 Luxury products 16, place Vendome

My subjective opinion is, that until production year 1993 Drakkar Noir is the best fragrance in the whole world.

Bottles from the 80-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche Paris (in one line)

Bottles from the 90-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    Paris

Bottles from the 00-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    P A R I S
    Great reading . I purchased a tall 1988 cosmair edt , then a 2015 200ml edt . Strangely , there is very little difference in power , longevity or noticeable moss .new formula 5% lighter & a little more synthetic ???

Of course they'd deny changing the formula. I've been using Drakkar for 25 years & my most recent 3.4 oz "tester" bottle has no longevity. Maybe 2 hours at best. This is the first "tester" I've ever purchased. The bottle is 100% real but the cologne seems weak. Could it be a real bottle w/ a knock-off fragrance? It was only 21.00 on Ebay.