Code of Conduct

Default Questions on l'humaniste

Hi all,

Upon reading and watching many reviews on frapin's lhumaniste I am interested in purchasing this as a blind buy.
    Before I go ahead I have a few questions in which any advice would be appreciated.

I really like the sound of the notes and the gin and tonic vibe which has been described by many reviewers sounds very appealing, however there is one concern. Will my boss think I've had too heavy a weekend wearing this as I'm not looking to smell like a raving alcoholic, or is it a subtle note blended in to a very well produced fragrance?

I know this may sound silly, but I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and bought it.

Secondly, I've heard that the longevity is a serious issue with this fragrance, and could anyone advise on an alternative along the same lines which may be better in this area.

Oh and off topic, any thoughts on "almost transparent blue"?

Thanks

Default Re: Questions on l'humaniste

L'Humaniste is not heavy on gin-tonic, imo. It's very well blended.

Yes. There's longitivity issue but you could fix it by spraying it on your clothes. You can get atleast 5hours on skin, 8+ hours on clothes.

An alternative to L'Humaniste is Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant. Very close at dry-down but the opening is very different.

Almost Transparent Blue is a very clean and modern scent. Safe for office use. Very nice longetivity and sillage. If you like Yuzu/Hinoki this is a must-try. The "screeching lime" (someone said that, I can't remember who) opening might not be your liking, but it will go away in just half an hour. One of the best safe scent in niche IMO.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

I'm gonna make it very short/ compact, this scent has that aforementioned vibe to a discerning nose and even at that you won't be confuse for a drunk. This is as natural as citrus gets and non offensive : L'Humaniste is short lived on some but I get 5-8 hrs but you can always reapply by creating a decant sprayer to carry with you to reapply and I know if you're paying this amount you shouldn't be reapplying but this stuff is worth it. Now, if you want a replacement that resonates longer in all three categories then step up to "Nio" by Xerjoff IMHO....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

...the reviews here on Basenotes give: " • 11 Positive Reviews • 3 Neutral Reviews • 1 Negative Reviews " + 1 negative from me (**) : I find it trully nothing special or shocking. I don't think it is wise to buy blind...why not sample it first?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragnoob View Post
    Will my boss think I've had too heavy a weekend wearing this as I'm not looking to smell like a raving alcoholic, or is it a subtle note blended in to a very well produced fragrance?

I know this may sound silly, but I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and bought it.

Thanks
    Not at all. Well blended and subtle enough.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I actually really don't get much of a G&T vibe, it's certainly clean and fresh with a touch of warm spice. It's nice but for the price you might do better looking for something else, especially if you're worried about longevity. Speaking of which, longevity's pretty good on me, but since many people complain about it, it's something to definitely take into consideration. All in all, a safe blind buy, should you choose.

Certainly not a groundbreaking fragrance but what is does it does very well; a crisp, sweet, slightly spiced citrus. Likeable, office friendly, hard to over apply since it's so light. I say go for it
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

It's fantastic.

You won't smell like an alcoholic and the longevity issues, in my opinion, are greatly exaggerated. I get 10 hours from L'Humaniste (seriously...compliments 10 hours later).

It's fairly original and widely appealing as well. You can't go wrong.

Almost Transparent Blue is also very good. It's very crisp and luminous and modern. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two if I had to...that's why I own both.

Either way, you'll end up with a great warm weather option that's different than a lot of what's out there.

I'ts a very nice scent. But not sure why the sudden explosion of interest about this one - a year ago, it was hardly mentioned. It is a really nice scent, but...

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    if you want a replacement that resonates longer in all three categories then step up to "Nio" by Xerjoff
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

you won't smell like alcoholic... just like somebody having a cocktail...
    it is very well blended, but i wore it once in the summer and it killed me - extremely, poisonously synthetic... good scent but not for a hot and humid weather.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

The opening of this fragrance is wonderful with it's cocktail of gin, lemon and juniper which smells very nice indeed. It quickly becomes more peppery and then starts to smell like Cartier's Declaration to my nose.

After a hour it's a skin scent and more and less gone by the second hour.

I think it's fine for the office and a great scent overall. I have two decants, one with good longevity and another about 4 hours -- no idea why. As for alternatives, it's hard to find something with much better longevity given the nature of this type of fragrance, but a lot of people recommend Profumum Aqua Viva.
    My crystal flacon page: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=648

My top 10:

1) Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    2) SHL Black Gemstone
    3) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    4) Amouage Jubilation XXV
    5) House of Matriarch Blackbird
    6) Puredistance M
    7) Morabito Or Black
    8) Armani Bois d'Encens
    9) Turtle Vetiver Back
    10) Amouage Tribute

One of my all time favorites, safe to wear to work, and luckily I get reasonable longevity 6-8 hours, with admittedly only 3-4 of good projection. I am satisfied with the performance though and it's certainly not too loud.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I've almost bought it several times, but on my skin the projection and longevity are awful. I know people are saying this is a summer fragrance, but even just being out in the heat for a very small time it just seems to evaporate. If your going to use it as a summer fragrance your going to have to put some in an atomizer. Wearing it in the spring or cooler weather is another story. It actually lasts on my skin for at least 6 hours or more. The projection is still pretty light, but it's not bad in the spring. Personally I'd go with something like Virgin Island Water, Acqua Di Parma Essenza, or the bargain priced Tommy Bahama Set Sail St.Barts if your going to use it for a summer fragrance. If your using it as your spring or cooler weather fragrance then go for it.

Nice fragrance. Sample first though.

I am wanting to pick up a full bottle of L'Humaniste. I had a sample, but finished it off quickly. It has a lovely gin accord that does not smell like it could be found on an alcoholic.

If I were to describe this fragrance in a single word: Alive.

Not worth the hype imo. Just nice smelling nothing more. And no its not very alcohol smelling at all. Its a lemon bomb though thats for sure. I will say although unlike others who tend to love it and get crap performance. Performance for me was decent enough considering how much love creed stuff gets. Ive gotten 8 hours of it before, albeit it is light.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Definitely office-friendly and appealing citrusy scent with modest projection and typically short lifespan for its type. Keep a decant handy for refreshers and you're good to go.

6-7 honkin' sprays to the neck and you'll smell it for 6-7 hrs. No way to get around it.I love the scent, thought about swapping it/selling it but I can't bring myself to do it as I know I'd be re-buying it the following summer.

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    6-7 honkin' sprays to the neck and you'll smell it for 6-7 hrs. No way to get around it.I love the scent, thought about swapping it/selling it but I can't bring myself to do it as I know I'd be re-buying it the following summer.
    True. I found myself spraying more than usual when I still had my sample. That said, spraying more seemed to increase its effervescent effect. L'Humaniste would be amazing in spring and summer.

Incidentally, it is one of the few samples that I have used that has received glowing compliments from random strangers.

It's more like 7-up or Sprite than a G&T.

A nice fragrance..well blended. But could very well be a designer scent. That doesn't bother me - I'm no niche snob - but if you want something that stands out from the crowd this isn't a great choice.

I'm still contemplating going FB on this. Maybe next summer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Btw, if you sample L'Humaniste please also sample Olfactive Studio's Still Life at the same time. It has the same effervescent effect, but it's paired with a subtle rum note and the whole thing smells like a really great drink - somewhere between cola and 7-up. Sounds weird but it's delicious.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

SOS is back

Well hi there CapriDog!

It's nice to be remembered .
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's more like 7-up or Sprite than a G&T.

A nice fragrance..well blended. But could very well be a designer scent. That doesn't bother me - I'm no niche snob - but if you want something that stands out from the crowd this isn't a great choice.

I'm still contemplating going FB on this. Maybe next summer.
    I do see what you are saying with the 7-up/Sprite comparison, and that it could be a designer scent. For me, the latter comparison is more problematic, since L'Humaniste smells significantly more high quality than most designers, though it does have the same vibe. It certainly is a crowd pleaser though.

Basenotes Member

L'humaniste if one of my favourites in my collection, however my new girlfriend says I smell like Abercrombie when I wear it. Ohwell I wear it for me more than anything.

This will not make you smell like a drunk, I wear it to work all the time. It is not too powerful. It does not last that long. My bottle leaks but looks fantastic on display. It smells SO good. I'd blind buy it if in your shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by TristanJester View Post
    L'humaniste if one of my favourites in my collection, however my new girlfriend says I smell like Abercrombie when I wear it. Ohwell I wear it for me more than anything.

This will not make you smell like a drunk, I wear it to work all the time. It is not too powerful. It does not last that long. My bottle leaks but looks fantastic on display. It smells SO good. I'd blind buy it if in your shoes!
    Interesting post. Though your girlfriend compares it to the smell of Abercrombie, does she like the scent overall? I enjoy it very much myself, and do not understand the comparison (though I avoid A&F stores like the plague).

I've also heard about the leaking problem. How much does the leaking affect the contents of your bottle? Because of this problem, I am looking to purchase a bottle of the newly repackaged L'Humaniste (once my retailer of choice gets a new shipment), hoping that Frapin fixed the leaks.

There's a particular aroma chem that comprises a large portion of L'Humaniste that it shares with Fierce/Legend/Mankind - that's the A&F connection.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    There's a particular aroma chem that comprises a large portion of L'Humaniste that it shares with Fierce/Legend/Mankind - that's the A&F connection.
    Would you say that these fragrances are of comparable quality?

I've been at this so long I don't know if I really think in terms of quality anymore. Or rather, I do, but it's such a subjective thing that it's kind of meaningless imo. You could have a quartet of violinists all playing stradivarius and the quality of the instrument or even the musicianship is kind of meaningless if the song doesn't move you, you know?

I think instead of a generic term like "quality" we might be better off with other adjectives - richness, naturalness, opulence, velvet-effect, etc etc.

All of that being said, I can't compare it to Fierce as I've not given that a proper testing in years. Legend has a metallic/fresh synthetic that sticks out a bit too much for my liking, while I find Mankind to be the refined version of Legend (actually a fair number of differences, but the overall feel of the two is quite similar).

L'Humaniste is really quite different in overall feel and effect compared to Legend/Mankind, because it is so fresh and truly effervescent, and smells much brighter overall. In this way, the closest of the aforementioned is probably Fierce, but I think there are plenty of differences to all but the most untrained nose.

I don't L'Humaniste as natural as say, most MPGs, or as lush and rich as most Serge Lutens and nowhere near as bombastic or opulent as the best of Amouage. It's overall "feel" is that of a designer, and its quality - whatever that really means - is sufficient, to my nose, that it has no sharp edges or anything overtly abrasive or overtly synthetic.

Not sure that really answers anything :P
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd July 2014 at 12:53 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

You make some excellent points Sculpture. Perhaps I should attempt to be more precise, since 'quality' doesn't really cut it when comparing most fragrances. On the other hand, 'quality' is a descriptor that sometimes comes to mind when it comes to many store designers, mostly because they tend to smell cheap and overly synthetic. I'd be interested to smell Fierce in particular, though I hesitate to step into an Abercrombie store (shudder).

I do see where you are coming from when it comes to the overall "feel" of L'Humaniste. It does not smell like opulent, nor bombastic, but I don't think that is what it is going for. I like it's quiet effervescence, and it doesn't smell synthetic at all to my nose (I'm sure it uses synthetics, though). If Fierce is at all close to L'Humaniste, I'm sure it's worth the cash.

I don't get the hype on this one, not at the current asking price for something that, honestly, smells like a reasonably done "fresh" mall scent...I'd definitely try before you buy, this one frankly bores me

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    I don't get the hype on this one, not at the current asking price for something that, honestly, smells like a reasonably done "fresh" mall scent...I'd definitely try before you buy, this one frankly bores me
    To be frank, I felt exactly the same way when I first tried it. Sprayed some from a sample bottle and put it away for a month. But then I started finding myself taking whiffs from the cap, until I couldn't stand it anymore and gave it a full wearing. Now the sample is depleted and I am craving the smell again. Kind of addictive lol.

Basenotes Plus

I wouldn't buy something based off positive reviews. IMO that's a reason to sample, not buy
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

I like L'humaniste a lot. A very solid number for the summer. To address your concerns more specifically, Humaniste does not smell like youve been drinking recently.. Lol, not at all.

As with many other fragrances, the notes that are given in the breakdown are rarely that literal. Usually you have to really look deep to even recognize them. Most parfums are so well blended that this becomes a task that only select few can figure out, if anyone at all. After all, some people are "detecting" stuff after they get in depth knowledge about a given scent.

Longevity is okay for me. Usually lasts me all day at work, so thats at least 8-10 hours.

For me, I only wish the late mid to drydown was as refreshing as its beginning. It resolves into a rather generic, clean white musk on me. And topping over 100 dollars, I expect more than that.

I don't drink, so I can't comment on that aspect of L'Humaniste. I can say, however, that I get a lot of compliments on it (mostly from fellow college students) and that three sprays = 10+ hours of longevity on me.

I can also say that I don't get any connection between L'Humaniste and A&F Fierce or Mont Blanc Legend - I've smelled all three (there used to be an A&F in our local mall, and I could smell Fierce in the back of Barnes & Noble).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I can also say that I don't get any connection between L'Humaniste and A&F Fierce or Mont Blanc Legend - I've smelled all three (there used to be an A&F in our local mall, and I could smell Fierce in the back of Barnes & Noble).
    Humaniste has absolutely zero resemblence to Fierce or MB Legend. Who even came up with that?

As far as similarities go, I DO think that it is somewhat similar to Allure Edition Blanche and Declaration Essence. If you wanna imagine what Humaniste would smell like, just imagine the hybrid of the two )

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The opening of this fragrance is wonderful with it's cocktail of gin, lemon and juniper which smells very nice indeed. It quickly becomes more peppery and then starts to smell like Cartier's Declaration to my nose.

After a hour it's a skin scent and more and less gone by the second hour.
    This is exactly what I've experienced when sampling l'Humaniste in the past. It's a nice scent but not FBW, IMO.

I think that those who are picking up the similarities between Fierce, L'Humaniste, and Legend (and I'd add another into that mix - H&G Askew) are doing so because they are smelling the scents at some notable distance, and all of the aforementioned scents *do* share some chemical and I believe that chemical carries the furthest in the air - so those that are only picking up the sillage will find them to smell more similar than the wearer, who is getting many more nuances.

I don't think any of the scents listed above could be substituted for one another or are clones of one another in any way, but I'm pretty sure that's why some make the connection.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

L'Humaniste is dull at first, then in turns into a Declaration rip-off - I find it pointless and unworth the purchase.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

Sound Scents

I recently got a sample of it with a LS order. It was a completely forgettable citrus composition that immediately was put into the ever-growing pile of samples that smell "decent" but don't merit further attention as they obviously don't make the cut. Not a fan at all...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)