Code of Conduct

Default Drakkar Noir - Old Formula Again?

Hey guys, I'm a huge fan of Drakkar Noir and previously wore it throughout high school. I recently started to wear it again and was disappointed in the lack of longevity. So, I read every thread and review here on Basenotes and initially came to the conclusion that the original formula was altered over the years to a weaker fragrance. But I wasn't totally convinced. Why would a popular fragrance like Drakkar change its formula and legendary strength?

Well that question set me on a hunt to find the truth. I sampled many bottles of Drakkar--some of which I estimate to be fairly old, maybe 10 years in age--and purchased a few bottles, only to return them because the juice wasn't as strong as I remember it. I even emailed Guy Laroche in France asking them straight up if Drakkar had been changed; they denied it and said it's the original fragrance. Here's the thing: I believe them.

At one point I think the formula no doubt changed to a weaker fragrance, but I think they--Guy Laroche--switched it back, perhaps because of all the negative feedback here on Basenotes.

Here's why I believe this: I've sampled over the last year quite a few bottles of Drakkar Noir and was always let down by the strength. However, I recently purchased a 3.4oz bottle from a major department store and was completely floored--it was as strong as the original and smelt exactly the same as I remember it. I think there was a period (2000-2011?) in which Drakkar produced a sub-par Drakkar. Why else would all the samples I smelt seem off and not as strong?

Just think about it. Shamu has written extensively on here about Drakkar Noir. He too was let down by its strength until he purchased a 3.4oz bottle. I'd be willing to bet he purchased the bottle at a major department store where there is high turnover, thus he got a newer bottle of Drakkar.

I could be totally wrong, but suspect Guy Laroche went back to the original formula. Besides, they assured me that nothing has changed in the formula.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Drakkar Noir - Old Formula Again?

I think you've been drinking to much Drakkar Noir

LOL. Perhaps, but it's a big deal when one of your favorites colognes changes the formula to a weaker version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    I even emailed Guy Laroche in France asking them straight up if Drakkar had been changed; they denied it and said it's the original fragrance. Here's the thing: I believe them.
    Therefore problem solved.

I've been going bananas trying to figure out the Drakkar puzzle. I'm not sure Guy Laroche went back to an old formula or not. However, for me I think it's simply a case of the 3.4 and 6.7 oz. bottles having better atomizers than the smaller bottles.

When I first wrote about how much weaker I thought Drakkar was than it used to be, I was judging it from a small 1.7 oz. bottle that had a crappy atomizer that shot out dinky little spritzes. When i applied it, I didn't compensate by overspraying. Since then, I've bought a 3.4 oz. bottle, which sprays out a nice full spray, and the difference is like night and day. I now get brutal sillage and 12+ hrs. of staying power with this new bottle, just like I did from my old splash bottle I'd bought in 1988. Any more than 4 sprays from this new bottle, and I'm transformed into a medallion-wearing Cologne Guy for the rest of the day.

On the other hand, the OP might be correct about a reversion to an old formula. The other thing I notice about this 3.4 oz. bottle is that the juice smells a lot more leathery than in the 1.7 oz. bottle I had. In other words, it smells just like I remember it back in the day, with plenty of power.

P.S., The 3.4 oz. bottle I bought is a tester from an online retailer, not a department store.
    Last edited by shamu1; 18th July 2011 at 03:11 AM.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I hear tale that the $8-10 Classic Match version from Belcam is exactly the original, and I prefer it to the 2 actual Guy Laroche bottles I have had. So if all else fails you can save some dough.

I liked much the vintage version many years ago.Then Drakkar Noir became the most imitated fragrance in the world and I cooled off to it.

Maybe this 100 ml new version is worth to buy.
    Last edited by pirop; 28th February 2014 at 07:34 AM.

dwrestle is right - the Classic Match knockoff is awesome and smells exactly as I remember Drakkar smelling like back in the 80s. Athkar Noir is also an excellent cheap knockoff.

Very interesting topic. I have a 1oz and a mini of DN that have both disappointed me. The 1oz. has an atomic atomiser so I dont think that is the problem. The mini is a splash. They smell the same to me. The problem is that neither smells as I remember. I had initially thought that my memory was faulty (it had been 10+ yrs), but these posts intrigue me. Perhaps I'll try the Classic Match, but I would like a bottle of DN that smells like I remember.

Of course, I have the same problem with Cool Water. I have two bottles and they both suck compared to my memory of 10+ yrs.

Regards,

...NDN-01!!!

Read this. http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/p...s/overdose.pdf

Cross reference that with current IFRA standards and you may have part of your answer.

I have the Classic Match and Akthar Noir, both are good but not quite as good as the original Drakkar. Between the two, I'd give the edge to Akthar Noir if you're looking for a cheap knock-off. Akthar lasts longer on me than Classic Match and just smells better.

But I prefer the real Drakkar because, as Shamu said, it has a leathery dry down. My current 3.4oz bottle smells exactly like it used to when I was in high school in the mid-nineties. I'm convinced that Drakkar changed the formula along the way and recently went back to the old formula.

^^^
    OK,you've just convinced me to buy a new 100 ml bottle

Let me tell you a little fact. You most likely remember Drakkar from your younger days for all its glory and bravado. Young men have move active metabolic activity face it we are in our studly prime. With that said we have greater skin oil production our pH levels are perfect not tainted by any medication or vitiam in takes. Not to mention also that our sense of smell is to peak level too!

Therefore scents like Drakkar or Polo were powerful to us and held great sillage. It is a fact that with age our sense of smell is the first to deteriorate not to mention all the smells us scentheads bombard our noses with on a yearly bases.

I can't vouch if Drakkar was changed but I would doubt it the fragrance has its own established age brackets and I dont see it gearing itself to the teen market.

Even if you buy the 100 ml bottle of Drakkar, make sure you get a newer version of it. I tried a couple 100 ml bottles that weren't too strong.

Scentimus brings up an interesting point in his post. I agree that our senses change over time and we probably had better skin chemistry when we were younger--thus some fragrances might feel as if the formula has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Therefore problem solved.
    nope... Due to new regulations, almost evry frag has been reformulated ! Even the boss of Dior (read this 3 weeks ago) said it, and he said, some reformulations are better than others... So, I have the 100 ml bottle and it"s defenatly not the same as it used to be !

how sad...

I wore Drakkar in the Eighties too. In fact, back then I wasn't the perfume freak I am now, and it was the only scent I wore. My point is that the juice in the bottle I recently bought gives me exactly the same scent and overall feel that it did back in the day, plain and simple. That's all that matters to me. Assuming this is a reformulation, it was a damn good one. Drakkar is still great, and is still a powerhouse.

Since finding and becoming a fan of Lomani pour homme, it has piqued my interest in Drakkar Noir again.

Having purchased a 3.4 oz (100ml) bottle of Drakkar Noir about three years ago, and being very disappointed with its strength, longevity and overall lack of the swagger I assocaite with it (to the extent that I gave away that bottle), I am intrigued by the suggestion that now a newer version may have restored it to its former glory.

Has anyone else experience of this? Is Drakkar Noir restored to its former glory?

First off, I think Drakkar Noir is awesome - very unique indeed. I first smelled it in college in the mid-80's. We wore it then and a friend gave me my first bottle when we graduated.

After reading this thread, I decided to purchase a bottle. I got a small splash bottle and then a small 1.7oz with sprayer. I have to say, I am a bit disappointed. First, the scent is similar to what I remember. I always thought Drakkar Noir smelled awesome - and this is close but not the full awesomeness I remember. I can chalk this up to nostalgia or having a more discerning nose now. The thing that disappoints is the longevity. 3 hours at best. I dont remember what it was like in the past, but this is disappointing.

I dont want to use more sprays as a means to longevity. This just creates an overdose for the first couple of hours. I would rather use 1-2 sprays but have a more consistent sillage for longer (at least 6 hours).

Can someone advise where to pick up the 3.4 oz bottle so I have the best chance of trying the best formulation?

thanks
    (I am wearing DN now as I write this - and lovin it)

Sorry to hear that, Marcuccio88. The current version of Drakkar Noir on the market is indeed different from the 80's and 90's, despite my earlier post claiming otherwise. I know this for a fact because I recently purchased a bottle of Drakkar from the late 80's/early 90's (I can tell because the copyright on the box is 1989 and the bottle style is slightly different from the current bottle) and the scent is 100% different for sure, but somewhat similiar--if that makes sense. The older Drakkar Noir smells much more richier and heavier; however, the older Drakkar doeasn't last any longer on me than the current one.

I actually think Drakkar has undergone several formulations. Bottles produced in the 80's and 90's were no doubt the best. The early 2000's were the worst with poor longevity and sillage. I believe the bottles on the market today have been reformulated again and are much better than the ones made in the early 2000's.

Basenotes Plus

I've been chiming in on Drakkar Noir threads and need to say this...I recently bought a nice set of 100ml EDT, 100ml After Shave (in the nice bottle, not tube) and a deodorant stick that is very good - I feel it has changed slightly...more green notes, a lighter tree moss (or possibly synthetic moss) versus real oakmoss (key ingredient) but, overall, I really like it. Old-school vibe and actually something I find myself reaching for quite often. It smells fresher, lighter and more green than Vintage Drakkar Noir as I remember it - but it is still very good, especially in warmer weather and one can layer.

Here's the catch - I just picked up a true Vintage bottle (100ml) of Drakkar Noir...in fact, a splash! Retro, bad-ass, macho juice! Just the nose from the bottle and you get hit with the fantastic green notes (artemisia, fir) all layered on REALLY rich Oakmoss. The smokiness is there along with a stronger and deeper leather note. I got it from a reputable seller with taste on eBay. Damn lucky! Akthar Noir, Classic Match, etc. can play a few notes, but a true Vintage bottle of Drakkar Noir simply cranks out power chords like a Marshall stack!! That said, I will also strongly advocate current formulation (and buy a big bottle - 100ml or bigger, to make sure you get a good atomizer). I don't think Guy Laroche can or will ignore IFRA standards...so, sorry Mr.Smellin.Good, but the juice has changed over the years. Know that, but enjoy what you wear as that is the point of fragrance. Olfactory pleasure is like art though - we all have our own tastes and they change with time. For me, I am still a very big fan of Drakkar Noir and I can say that the vintage stuff is, in a word, stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I wore Drakkar in the Eighties too. In fact, back then I wasn't the perfume freak I am now, and it was the only scent I wore. My point is that the juice in the bottle I recently bought gives me exactly the same scent and overall feel that it did back in the day, plain and simple. That's all that matters to me. Assuming this is a reformulation, it was a damn good one. Drakkar is still great, and is still a powerhouse.
    Last edited by ericrico; 28th September 2012 at 03:38 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Blog Entries

I think you should tight roll your jeans when you wear Drakkar.....everybody is doing it : )
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I too now agree with you, ericrico, despite my earlier post. The formula has no doubt changed. I also own (actually trying to sell it on eBay, but I'm thinking about cancelling the sale) a vintage bottle. You can easily tell the difference between the old and new stuff, for sure. However, I don't get better longevity out of the old and I somewhat prefer the newer stuff. Quick question: how much did you pay for your 100ml vintage splash bottle? I'm trying to sell mine for $100.

I'm trying to sell mine for $100.
    lolololololololololoooooooooooooooolllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooollllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllll

Basenotes Plus

The new stuff is really good (as I firmly have said) - I think Guy Laroche have done as well as they could with reformulation here. It's not about longevity (as much) to me - as it's about the notes. Some people, in today's fragrance world, don't like oakmoss. Ironically, this forum is "Basenotes" and, well, oakmoss has been one of the most important base notes ever included in male fragrance. It is, since times have changed, become dated to most people. Personally, I love moss. It "dampens" a fragrance and enriches an entire pyramid of scents. Synthetic moss that you find today can be decent (as in DN), but it doesn't hold nor does it have the warmth on the skin. It becomes more of a middle note and less obvious...which is fine. That is how things evolve. Shamu mentioned before about the "greasy" vibe to the leather in Vintage Drakkar Noir - again, I give props to the man...he's spot-on! The leather in the new formulation is cleaner and much more refined - nothing bad, but updated. It is still plenty powerful and when wearing the after shave, several shots of the EDT and the deodorant - I can radiate the scent 10 feet out or more! Funny thing...I don't get olfactory fatigue from DN - never have. Never too much of a good thing.

As to your question, I will say (professionally and humbly) that I paid far less than $100 for my bottle of Vintage Drakkar Noir Splash. It was a fantastic price and there is a batch number and it is authentic. However, as someone said on this forum once, they do not discuss specific financial matters with others. What you get for your bottle is what one is willing to spend, so if I was to mention a number, that could become a yard stick that you do not want to measure the "value" of your bottle. I wish you the best for your sale, though, and hope the buyer is happy with it...sincerely.

Cheers.

I too now agree with you, ericrico, despite my earlier post. The formula has no doubt changed. I also own (actually trying to sell it on eBay, but I'm thinking about cancelling the sale) a vintage bottle. You can easily tell the difference between the old and new stuff, for sure. However, I don't get better longevity out of the old and I somewhat prefer the newer stuff. Quick question: how much did you pay for your 100ml vintage splash bottle? I'm trying to sell mine for $100.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

How to know if the bottle is the new stronger version?
    I want the potent stuff, i wanna be that guy on the other side of the street

Basenotes Plus

I want to clear the air - I don't believe there is a "newer" reformulation of Drakkar Noir. I believe there is Vintage and the current reformulation. If I am wrong - then someone please correct me. I stand by what I have smelled and purchased.

Please, someone chime in - Shamu, Scentimus, or anyone who knows...I don't know of a more current reformulation. If you want the more potent, vintage vibe - the recommendation that others have made is the very affordable Akthar Noir or possibly Classic Match's bottling (which I tried and did not like, personally - very screechy and synthetic). My current bottle of DN is very good indeed and it was on the shelf at TJ Maxx with the After Shave bottle and deodorant as a discounted set. It brought me back to the scent and now I am blessed with the vintage splash bottle I got for a more than fair price.

I will throw a change-up into this thread. If you like Drakkar Noir, then try Francesco Smalto Pour Homme. It is very similar to a lot of Drakkar Noir's notes, yet also adds a nice smoky component that is well-integrated. Some may like while others may not - I love it, personally and will wear Drakkar Noir during the day and then refresh with a couple of shots of Francesco Smalto Pour Homme at night. This blends perfectly, in my opinion and the scent is bolder and darker! :-)

I hear you, ericrico. Thanks for your candor. I'm also a big fan of Drakkar Noir; it's one of the best male scents around in my opinion.

Gents,

How to spot pre-formilation DK without testing - are the tall (slim, not as current round shape) bottles vintage with original formula?

Basenotes Plus

Label is different on mine and it's a splash. The bottle looks almost identical to the standard spray though.

Look around - you will see the subtle differences, but there are numerous sizes, etc. to consider. Personally, I would try to find a bargain on a current formulation first if you are not familiar with the scent. The latest version is everywhere and you can get great deals on gift sets, etc. - and it smells great. Unless you really want old-school moss and heavier, greasy leather...I would go with current formulation which has excellent notes and very good longevity and projection.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by aquariuz View Post
    Gents,

How to spot pre-formilation DK without testing - are the tall (slim, not as current round shape) bottles vintage with original formula?

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I can radiate the scent 10 feet out or more!
    Great job, man! That's some serious power!

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Label is different on mine and it's a splash. The bottle looks almost identical to the standard spray though.

Look around - you will see the subtle differences, but there are numerous sizes, etc. to consider. Personally, I would try to find a bargain on a current formulation first if you are not familiar with the scent. The latest version is everywhere and you can get great deals on gift sets, etc. - and it smells great. Unless you really want old-school moss and heavier, greasy leather...I would go with current formulation which has excellent notes and very good longevity and projection.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the input, ericrico

Actually I have a current DK (bought in set with a/s balm and deo stick in 2008) and not so happy with this comparing the one I had in late 90th.
    Maybe its just mine imagination or "vintage_is_better" matter but I think the current is not so long lasting and "bold" than previous one.
    Im just try to find out if the juice in bottles like this (vintage?)

would be better than in current ones, or its just waisting the time/money?

Basenotes Plus

You're welcome! I have to say that it is subjective. The more I wear current formulation, the more I like it...and it's guaranteed fresh!! If you are determined to get Vintage, make sure the seller is very reputable and has a solid return policy.

The problem is a lot of the juice you find out on eBay from several decades ago has not been stored properly and you get poor quality juice. This is true with fragrances even 10-15 years old, let alone 20-30 years! I communicate thoroughly with sellers prior to committing my time and effort (and bids). Know what you are getting or know that the person you are buying it from is a true professional and has integrity.

Personally, after wearing the current formulation numerous times in the last several weeks, I don't believe spending a premium on old juice that may have gone bad is worth the time of 90-95%+ of the folks out there. My situation was specific - the seller communicated very effectively and I bought it with confidence. It was wrapped very professionally and shipped within 24 hours of purchase with tracking and explicit communication from the seller. I love what eBay can offer, but you must be careful.

Also, do you want to smell like old-school, vintage moss-laden fragrance? If you look at the numerous threads (including mine), you will see that only people who want the heavier, darker and greasier scent are considering vintage. It is not wearable (IMHO) in a professional setting nor would it be tolerable by a lot of younger generation folks (female & male). If you are around 40, wear old-school clothes, prefer leather jackets and have broken in a few pairs of Doc Martens in your lifetime, then go for it! If you got some tattoos, those are a plus. But, I don't know you at all - so this is a generalization...please do not take offense (humor is intended as well). :-) Know that Vintage juice from Drakkar Noir and other powerhouse fragrances will WEAR you if you are not a macho guy with some serious swagger. Do you play guitar, listen to punk rock and actually know who Social Distortion and the Sex Pistols are...? A bit about me - I'm 39 years old, 6'3", 190-195lbs., work out regularly, either spike my hair or slick it back, play an older Les Paul through classic Marshall and Mesa Boogie 100 watt heads, have owned Doc Martens since I was teenager (still have 4 pairs in my rotation of boots/shoes), spend too much money on hip clothes, always care what I smell like and just saw Social Distortion on Feb. 13th live! I shave when I want to and walk with an attitude. Almost everything I value is vintage, retro, chic and away from current trends. People who know me say I have not changed at all since high school. I have just become more refined in taste over the years...and appreciate stronger, heavier scents that can be aggressive and smell dated.

So, I hope this helps you make your decision. Some people have bought Vintage and cannot bring themselves to wear it - I fall into the "Other" category while still really admiring current formulation (and will continue to wear regularly!). Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by aquariuz View Post
    Thanks for the input, ericrico

Actually I have a current DK (bought in set with a/s balm and deo stick in 2008) and not so happy with this comparing the one I had in late 90th.
    Maybe its just mine imagination or "vintage_is_better" matter but I think the current is not so long lasting and "bold" than previous one.
    Im just try to find out if the juice in bottles like this (vintage?)

would be better than in current ones, or its just waisting the time/money?

Basenotes Plus

Hey Shamu -

It is indeed! With my Vintage bottle, I will layer some of the old juice along with the current formulation - as I do with virtually all reformulations and see what the results are...expectations are set high. I aim to get the richer base notes (heavier moss & darker leather) along with the great green notes, juniper, spiciness of the current formulation of DN!

I have been loving Francesco Smalto Pour Homme's smokiness as a layering scent to a day's wearing of Drakkar Noir - just 3-4 shots in the evening and I'm feelin' damn good! Changes the notes a bit, but you keep a lot the same (great effect at drydown stage of DN). I saw your blog on layering Krizia Uomo with Lapidus Pour Homme the other day. I really like Krizia Uomo - great scent, but I gotta try that concoction! I just picked up a Vintage 100ml bottle of Spazio Krizia Uomo the other day and have a 50ml bottle of Moods on the way ironically! Krizia is way under-rated as a house...fantastic and original compositions. I am playing catch-up before the rest of the universe buys it all up. ;-)

By the way (on a side note), are you familiar with Charles Jourdan Un Homme? I recently bought a small lot of sealed 100ml bottles in their original boxes - reputable seller from an estate sale...all perfect! That is a fragrance that I will be writing a review on soon (very impressive indeed!). I was also VERY lucky to get a huge (8oz!) beautiful flacon of Vintage Revillon Pour Homme (1977) in perfect condition a short while back. It is fantastic and simply stunning juice, IMO. Two retro, old-school beauties...that are impossible to find (almost)!

Great job, man! That's some serious power!

The best way to spot a vintage bottle is by three ways. First, the back of a vintage bottle should say it's distributed by Cosmair. The current formulation says something like Luxury Beauty Products, LLC, or something along those lines. I believe Drakkar Noir terminated the relationship with Cosmair in the mid 90's and probably rolled-out the new formulation shortly thereafter. Second, the word "Paris" on the front of the vintage bottle is spaced much closer together. The new formulation has the spacing much further apart; i.e. vintage bottle--"PARIS" whereas new formulation is "P A R I S". Third, the Drakkar box should have a copyright on it. If the copyright is the 80's or 90s, then you my friend have a vintage bottle.

I purchased one vintage bottle from eBay and unfortunately the juice was bad. I think the bottle was from 1982 and I can tell it lost it's luster. I also picked up a fresher vintage bottle at local high-end pharmacy in NYC. I figured the pharmacy didn't sell a tone of Drakkar Noir and went in and discovered a vintage bottle sitting on the shelf from the late 80's or early 90's. I couldn't believe it and purchased it right on the spot.

One thing I can say about the current juice is that it's temperamental as hell, power-wise. One day it's got enough power to asphyxiate a shopping mall, while other days it's a skin scent. I'm wearing it right now, and it smells pretty tame. I could wear it tomorrow and set off air raid sirens.

I agree, Shamu1. I've found that Drakkar Noir really cranks out when my body warms up such as when I workout.

I agree, Shamu1. I've found that Drakkar Noir really cranks out when my body warms up such as when I workout.
    You may have a point there. I've just been sitting on my ass all morning, which might account for the weak sillage.

I think it may be one reason why people report widely different experiences with Drakkar. Some people are more active and the fragrance probably heats up and smells better. Just my two cents.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting point, Shamu. I have found with Drakkar Noir and other powerhouse fragrances is that they all tend to respond to both body heat/temperature and weather accordingly. On a warmer day and my body temp rises from physical activity (even walking) - old-school fragrances radiate. Cool days, leisure activity - calm and tranquil. I don't find the same with synthetic, modern scents. What you spray is often what you get (it's only a matter of how much you spray), but weather will stay play a factor...just less so.

Interesting to point out - the entire fragrance (top, middle & bottom notes) seem to reform on me. I sometimes wonder if reapplying is the right choice or doing 50 push-ups and running in place for a few minutes. :-) Funny thing - I went to the gym the other night and played basketball. It was a cold night and I wore an undershirt from earlier in the day under my workout clothes. I had applied Drakkar Noir and a couple shots of Francesco Smalto Pour Homme over 5 hours hours earlier. After working up a good sweat, I paused and realized that I was radiating fragrance! Every other guy there smelled like dirty socks and BO. We had a laugh and played on.

One thing I can say about the current juice is that it's temperamental as hell, power-wise. One day it's got enough power to asphyxiate a shopping mall, while other days it's a skin scent. I'm wearing it right now, and it smells pretty tame. I could wear it tomorrow and set off air raid sirens.
    Last edited by ericrico; 24th October 2012 at 05:31 PM.

I find most frags work better when you are moving instead of sitting around all day. Some however seem to sweat away if you sweat too much.

Basenotes Plus

Okay - final point on this. I applied both current and vintage Drakkar Noir formulations to the backs of my hands (so I would smell the fragrance without too much warm up - I wanted to get as much from the top down as possible for notes). On the back of my left hand is a single full spray of current formulation Drakkar Noir. Very green and aromatic with nice fir, smooth lavender, rosemary, artemisia, a splash of citrus, wonderful juniper, patchouli, intermixed wood & some "spiced" florals and nice leather (with a touch of moss) - excellent and very refreshing!

On the back of my right hand is Vintage - dark green, warm lavender, denser fir, more patchouli, awesome rich and greasy leather with deep and damp oakmoss notes. There is a nice dusty/powdery quality from the cinnamon here. The bright notes are all turned down while the dark ones are turned up. Still the artemisia, rosemary and basil - herbal notes, but more dried versus fresh-cut. Juniper is here and present - but not lifted...more of the juniper bush smell versus the berry (dank and resinous versus lifted but still fragrant). Similarly, the floral notes are somewhat muted (only slightly there) - but under some dry, earthy vetiver (a note I do not find in current formulation). Definitely several shades more towards "black" versus green overall - very impressive. The Vintage is for fragrance lovers and a macho night scent and, in my opinion, not for everyday wear. Offensive? Perhaps to some. Not a first date scent, while current formulation is.

The depth of the leather and the heavy moss in the Vintage formulation (as I mentioned before) are the key differences. Unmistakeably, it is the same fragrance, but time has evolved what is acceptable and allowed in the juice. I will go as far as saying that both fragrances are excellent.

Verdict - left hand (current formulation): Brighter, greener and more accessible. Refined, yet still rich. Excellent blended composition of notes that retain the true essence of Guy Laroche's brilliant Drakkar Noir. Final score - 8+/10 and what I will typically reach for.

Right hand (vintage formulation): darker, deeper, heavier and less accessible (richer leather & damp moss being the key differences). Very thick and rather unforgiving...aggressive. Not for casual wear. Composition is classic, sophisticated, strong & bold. My score as a fragrance lover - 9/10, but this is not for those who are looking for a bottle of juice to "fit in" - but rather "stand-out".

I am very happy to have both...and know that the vintage is one to be kept for "special" occasions only - ones where you don't care what people think about you, because you don't care about them.

Last edited by ericrico; 10th January 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I think you should tight roll your jeans when you wear Drakkar.....everybody is doing it : )
    I lol when read this. +1

Awesome review, ericrico. Nicely done and well stated.

Can everyone here post when their bottle was made? I am a huge fan of Drakkar and have spend several hundred dollars buying different bottles trying to find the Drakkar that I used to remember.

The first bottle of Drakkar I've ever bought was amazing. It blew my mind and had a very dark masculine smell. I bought it from a small fragrance shop in NYC. I remember that the bottle was dated, somewhere in the 90s but I don't remember the specific year. I later then bought several bottles which was drastically different in my opinion, and I have verified that they are indeed Drakkar and not a knock off. However, it was clearly different and everyone that I wore the original Drakkar around noticed the difference too.

I was convinced that they changed the formula, but couldn't find any information on it, until I came upon this thread. I can't believe it took me 3 years to find out that they changed the formula, and I'm glad that I'm not the only person that noticed. The current bottle I have is marked 2004 on the back of the bottle, and is not what I am looking for. I am certain that the formula changed between 1993 and 2004, but I want to be able to know the specific year they changed it.

According to this thread, they may have brought back the original formula. I want to know the specific dates marked on the bottle that has the original formula, because most bottles I find now days are dated between 2007 and 2010. I've smelled the 2007 one, and I don't think that's the original, but I'm not 100% certain. I hope that this thread will continue to be kept active so that we can finally figure out what they did and how to get the original formula and smell. I have no problem spending another few hundred dollars just to find out when the formula changed and how to identify which bottles have the original smell... and yes that's how much I love Drakkar, but I would like some opinions on this before I go blindly buying more bottles for this purpose. Thanks everyone!

lainekillua, they've definitely changed the formula. I have a bottle of the original, probably late 80's or early 90's and it's different from my current bottle. I originally thought the new version went back to the old--it's pretty close--but was corrected when I found a vintage bottle in a NYC store. The thing is, the newer version has better longevity on me than the older version. But the older version is smoother and more refined, if you know what I mean. Like you, I spent a lot of time and resources trying to find a vintage bottle. I found the easiest way to discover one: vintage bottles were distributed by Cosmair, which should be written on the back of the bottle. I believe the new ones are currently distributed by Luxury Beauty Products, LLC, or something like that. So, if you come across a bottle that has Cosmair written on it, than you're gold--you have a vintage bottle. I did some research a while back and believe Cosmair stopped distributing Drakkar in the late 90's. By the way, I may be interested in unloading my vintage bottle if you're interested.

Hm, that's good information to have... with what you've said I think I found the change year to be 1996. Not sure though, I'll have to do some more research. I'll see if I can find any vintage bottles around my area. If not, I might consider buying some from you. How many do you have and what size are the bottle(s)?

Cool. Yeah, I would research it and try to find a vintage bottle. You'll immediately recognize the smell. I have a small bottle, I think 1.7oz. I have the orginal packaging too with the copyright of 1989.

My latest bottle of this was form a department store, but I've seen a bottle that is different and says '80%' on the front. Is this a vintage formula does anyone know?

Here is very helpful Adreas Moreau link:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

I have thesse bottles of Drakkar Noir:

Product Batch Pr. year Copyright Distributor. Guy Laroche Address
    EDT splash 30ml UG0A 1987 ------ Cosmair Ave Matignon
    EDT spray 100ml ------- 1992 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    DEO spray 50ml UN152 1993 ------ Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 50ml UU089 1999 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UW18R 2001 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT splash 50ml UX074 2002 ------- Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UY322 2003 1998 Cosmair 16, place Vendome
    EDT spray 100ml UE008 2008 2004 Luxury products 16, place Vendome

My subjective opinion is, that until production year 1993 Drakkar Noir is the best fragrance in the whole world.

Bottles from the 80-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche Paris (in one line)

Bottles from the 90-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    Paris

Bottles from the 00-ties have labeling:
    Guy Laroche
    P A R I S
    Last edited by noodles; 24th July 2014 at 12:06 PM.