Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Any gentleman in here willing to admit that their love of fragrane has put them on the road

towards Dandyism?

If you're already there, would you say scents are a big part of being a disciple of Beau Brummel?

Default Re: Any gentleman in here willing to admit that their love of fragrane has put them on the road

I've really never thought of Dandyism at all. For me it is more of an intellectual/Epicurean type of thing, as opposed to being related to fashion.

Default Re: Any gentleman in here willing to admit that their love of fragrane has put them on the road

Not Dandyism for me either. Just a purely pleasant irrational obsession.

Nor for me. Like Bigsly, I'm into fragrances for the intellectual/pleasurable aspects. I don't think fragrances have pushed me towards Dandyism at all. While I dress nicely for work and can clean up rather well for dinners and events, I'm perfectly capable of letting my hair grow long, not shaving very often, and being the slob.

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    towards Dandyism?

If you're already there, would you say scents are a big part of being a disciple of Beau Brummel?
    Ody, in reality Beau Brummell absolutely detested perfumes of any kind, associating it with the powdered and rouged fop of the late 1700s. He was fond of frequent shaving and bathing, however, to keep himself smelling clean.

Luca Turin makes a mistake in "The Guide," in his section on Beau Brummell.

It was yet another dandy of the 19th century who made perfume acceptable for men, and lots of it!

Dandyism is more than perfume and dressing with care. It's a whole attitude toward life.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

No, smelling good just makes me a bit more able to live with myself.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If that means paying a little more attention to my appearance, I suppose you could consider me 'guilty'. Sometimes T-shirt & jeans seem so inadequate for a certain fragrance.

Nope

i like clothes more to be honest but both in moderation, which may be not very dandy of me. i like the simplest stuff, always get a haircut, etc... not the loud dandy but more like what the beau was trying to do. i think jeans and t-shirts can still be dandified if the most simplest, sleekest cuts.

my only dandy perfume at the moment is kenzo power. but i did own dior homme cologne. olivier polge seems to make modern dandified perfumes. i might try eau de guerlain next.

Fragrances are like the final touch for me because I did care about my appearance long before I care about fragrances

I understand the definition but the word sounds absurd. And to address one of the previous posts, Turin has explained it well enough in the context that it needed to be explained in, and fortunately he's no dandy.

I use fragrances like anything else that's sensual. It has zero to do with anything other than the fact that I like them and use them like most anything else that brings pleasure. I don't use them to attract others, or for many of the other reasons I often see people talking about. I like being well groomed, comfortable, looking good, but I often prefer the way I smell without fragrance (so does my girlfriend). A little hard work and sweat, some soap in the shower. I love spas, massages, baths and showers, feeling good in a variety of ways.

The fragrances are fascinating and provide a distraction, but I could also move on to something else and pretty much forget all of them. I've done it with stronger interests than fragrance, but I'll probably keep doing it for awhile since I have at least some interest left.

BTW, I'm an athlete and I like quality clothes, but I wear mainly warm-ups, t-shirts, jeans, comfortable stuff. And I definitely don't match up my clothes with my fragrances and all of that pretentious crap. I wear them with anything with anything. Nothing beats an old cotton t-shirt.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th July 2011 at 07:52 AM.

I'm currently a champagne taste on a PBR budget kind of guy, so I feel like this sometimes. Look good, feel good. It's something I try to abide by. If I can add 'smell good,' well that's just another chip in my pile.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

It is part of our household to be well groomed in all manners from dress, to hair to perfumery. Same goes for manners in speech and act.

Is there a difference between Metrosexuality and Dandyism ?
    Last edited by hedonist222; 18th July 2011 at 06:41 AM.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It is part of our household to be well groomed in all manners from dress, to hair to perfumery. Same goes for manners in speech and act.

Is there a difference between Metrosexuality and Dandyism ?
    Sounds rigid.

Yeah, metrosexual is a much better word.

well, for an anosmic person I'm indistinguishable from a bum, so, no.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    well, for an anosmic person I'm indistinguishable from a bum, so, no.
    Me too mate, but I'm not sure that puts you out of the class of the dandy. My dandyism is, in a way, how I choose to describe the contradiction between my looking like a bit of a shabby git but also wanting to be drenched in wonderful frags the whole time. These are two seemingly contrasted fields but I see dandyism as being, if you like, a stile (rather than a style) that can connect and maybe reconcile them.

Definitely yes, and if I may have had dandified tendencies even before discovering fragrance, this life-changing discovery has turned my life into a self-confessed shrine dedicated to dandysm

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Yeah, metrosexual is a much better word.
    Ha! More like a much better 'crap' imho, albeit more recently minted. Nor do I see wearing accessories to complement a certain style 'pretentious'.

I'll say yes, even though I don't quite live up to the concept. I prefer to think I would if I could. I do think the ubiquitous jeans and T shirt have had their day and look rather drab. I like watching how the more creative types vary the wardrobe to escape the run of the mill look.

With or without my fragrances I am about as UNdandy as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    BTW, I'm an athlete and I like quality clothes, but I wear mainly warm-ups, t-shirts, jeans, comfortable stuff. And I definitely don't match up my clothes with my fragrances and all of that pretentious crap. I wear them with anything with anything. Nothing beats an old cotton t-shirt.
    this this this!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Definitely yes, and if I may have had dandified tendencies even before discovering fragrance, this life-changing discovery has turned my life into a self-confessed shrine dedicated to dandysm
    Ken, it's way of life and not just one one wears, IMO.

To say dandyism is meticulous dress and fragrance works for some, for others, it's the prerogative not to follow convention--to wear your Charvet shirt and tie, and them walk out of the house with a coffee stain on your cuff.

The dandy must be able to be comfortable with himself.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

haha... i thought your title was going to be followed with "the road to financial ruin".

i'll take dandyism anyway!

After first discovering fragrances, I finally stared to shave, stop picking or scratching enclosed areas, and clean-up after myself...

First it's fragrance then before you know it's ivory pipes and moustache wax

http://thechap.net/content/section_archive/tweeds.html

I have seven back up bottles of ruehl 925 signature fragrance for men because the store closed down. Now I don't even use them anymore so I have them collecting dust in my room. Perhaps I'll sell them at one point or another. All unopened.

I am a slob on the weekends and week nights.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I went the opposite direction, actually. Being a "dandy" actually led into my fragrance obsession, as I was into clothes and shoes before getting big into fragrances. I have to say, though, that I'm much more interested in scents now than clothes/shoes. While I still dress well, I find fragrances much more interesting and something I put more thought and effort into now. I don't much care for the history and composition of the clothes I buy, but am endlessly fascinated by the layers and notes in fragrances.

Since I started exploring fragrance, I have not noticed a difference in my behavior, other than sniffing myself in public more often.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N░ 2