Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Roja Dove Aoud

  1. #1

    Default Roja Dove Aoud

    Not sure if this is new ??? Just noticed Aoud from Roja Dove on the Harrods website , its a whopping £495.00 for 50ml . Was curious if anyone had tried it as my Oud kick seems not to be dying down !

  2. #2

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Recent, not new. Someone on another website (can't remember who) stoked my lemming by saying it is a wonderful amber and oudh scent. But at $993.38 shipped to USA, I would have to test at least a 5ml decant to purchase. And even then..............
    too dear!
    I smell marshmallows!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    I gave this a nice try last weekend and I was very tempted to go home with a bottle. I may still order it if I can save up some $$. Roja Dove's new Oud is absolutely the finest rose/saffron/oud I have ever tried and I've tried most of the others of this type. It is an extraordinary fragrance of rose, saffron, jasmine, oud and patchouli. The jasmine note is sublime in the mix. The oud is a light ethereal note and is far superior to anything from Montale or any others of this type. The only other fragrances that I can compare it to are Caron Special Oud, only much better and it is sort of in the same genre as Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun. It is by far the most superior oud of this type of floral combination I have tried. Is it worth $1,000 for a 50 ml. bottle? Good question, but if you love this type of oud scent, it is a once in a lifetime kind of fragrance. Harrods had sold out their entire inventory of it but one bottle on the weekend I was there - but I am sure they can get more!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    I tried this a couple of weeks ago and the beginning was very impressive. Unfortunately, the drydown reminds me of some generic oud/mukhallat oil by Arabian Oud and it's not as long-lasting as expected. It's very expensive because it's only available as a Parfum Extrait.

    Btw, Roja Dove has also released another two new fragrances - one for men (Scandal Pour Homme - a fougère) and the other being the fourth edition to the original trio of EDPs/Parfum Extraits (Reckless).

    I think a fourth new release for 2011 has just been made exclusively available to Harrods, called Innuendo.

    http://www.harrods.com/product/roja-...34235?btype=cs

  5. #5

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Good question, but if you love this type of oud scent, it is a once in a lifetime kind of fragrance. Harrods had sold out their entire inventory of it but one bottle on the weekend I was there - but I am sure they can get more!
    Probably because of Ramadan. It's quite obvious that these niche houses have cottoned on to the fact Middle-Eastern tourists have money to burn. So, why not offer them something from their own culture that's not available in their countries (in other words, exclusive). Ajmal? Arabian Oud? Pfff!!! Too common...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Probably because of Ramadan. It's quite obvious that these niche houses have cottoned on to the fact Middle-Eastern tourists have money to burn. So, why not offer them something from their own culture that's not available in their countries (in other words, exclusive). Ajmal? Arabian Oud? Pfff!!! Too common...
    Yes Trebor, it is the middle of Ramadan now and you are correct that the London retailers are bowing down to free flowing wealth from Arabs who love to be in London. I am an occasional visitor, but you residents here must find it hard to compete in this economic climate. The amount of money being thrown around London for all manner of luxury items: fragrance, watches, automobiles and apartments etc is impressive. The Roja Dove Oud at @ $950 was the first one to sell out. I looked, cautiously, at an advert for a townhouse you can walk away with for @ $26M - this country boy from the midwest U.S. is blushing with relative poverty. The same place in New York would probably go for $10M - $12M and back the in the heartland of the U.S. where I am from it would sell smartly for about $1.1M in a city and $750K in my town. The laws of relativity have landed in commerce for sure. I will stick to fragrance!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    It sounds amazing ... price aside .. Im very curious to see how it compares to the Kilian Rose Oud and the like

  8. #8

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Btw, Roja Dove has also released another two new fragrances - one for men (Scandal Pour Homme - a fougère) and the other being the fourth edition to the original trio of EDPs/Parfum Extraits (Reckless).
    On this sidenote... when I bought Diaghilev for myself I asked them for a sample of Reckless Parfum. I was seriously disappointed. It felt like a flowery deluxe shower gel, non-descriptive, extremely 'pretty', so the marketing would clearly be towards 'feminine'. I couldn't get past these associations. However intriguing the base notes sound, the whole nature and composition were far away from my style.
    I was also gifted with a sample of Scandal Pour Homme. This may well be a top class fougere, but it was rather hard-core. I'm a 1970/80s child, so this was like the smell of childhood somehow. Not my style, not in the least!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    It's quite obvious that these niche houses have cottoned on to the fact Middle-Eastern tourists have money to burn. ...
    And how! I was in Roja Dove's a few weeks ago (yes, I tried his aoud, but only on a touche à sentir). A young customer ran up a bill of a couple of grand easily in a matter of 30 minutes. He'd pick something up, spray once, ask the price, then say 'ok'. Sorry for going off-topic, but it was an eye-opener for me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Minor clarification, the price quoted above is actually for 100ml, not 50ml. (contra Harrod's website). Still a lot to fork over in one go, but given the parfum concentration, the cost per ml. is on par with many other parfums.

    I just aquired 20ml. this morning. I really can't say much though that hasn't already been said by Buzzlepuff in his wonderfully eloquent post.

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,404

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Minor clarification, the price quoted above is actually for 100ml, not 50ml. (contra Harrod's website). Still a lot to fork over in one go, but given the parfum concentration, the cost per ml. is on par with many other parfums.
    Much more reasonable knowing this.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    It is very well done but very boring. Pretty much a saffron-rose-oud scent. Just like JHAG Midnight Oud.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    It is very well done but very boring. Pretty much a saffron-rose-oud scent. Just like JHAG Midnight Oud.
    My thoughts exactly!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    JHAG
    Made me chuckle , is this the new name for J Lo

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,318

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    If it's being compared to Midnight Oud then I am disappointed since IMO that one is just a lighter more juicier version of Black Aoud by Montale.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  16. #16

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Scandal Pour Homme. This may well be a top class fougere, but it was rather hard-core. I'm a 1970/80s child, so this was like the smell of childhood somehow.
    Sounds right up my street!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If it's being compared to Midnight Oud then I am disappointed since IMO that one is just a lighter more juicier version of Black Aoud by Montale.
    Oh, I wouldn't say it's lighter - quite the opposite. But it smells too generic after the first ten minutes or so.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't say it's lighter - quite the opposite. But it smells too generic after the first ten minutes or so.
    You know what Aoud reminds me of...C&S Dark Rose. Blech!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    you know what aoud reminds me of...c&s dark rose. Blech!
    lol!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Made me chuckle , is this the new name for J Lo
    Hahaha! Oops

  21. #21

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sounds right up my street!
    Yeah, I'm intrigued too!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    I was in London last week and spend an hour in the haute perfumerie on the top floor of Harrods. As I had just come from 3 days of fragrance in Paris, there wasn't much that I hadn't smelled. One which I was really excited about (as was the cute SA), was the Roja Oud. I am still looking for my perfect out so I was really excited. On first smell - its dark, juicy, evil, resinous - all things I love in a frag. It even has a warning that it will stain light clothing. It smells like a standard oud - though deep and layered. I walked around for about an hour - by the time I got to Amouage - it was completely gone. It wasn't me being anosmatic - I asked 4 other people to try and smell it on me -- nothing. For that price, I expect major longevity and was quite disappointed.

    The cute SA did recommend something that I picked up - Van Cleef Arpel Precious Oud - which while not a traditional saffron based oud - is quite long lasting .. and "pretty." Another one worth checking out is Shams by Memo - a peppery oud which is something quite special.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    ...I walked around for about an hour - by the time I got to Amouage - it was completely gone. It wasn't me being anosmatic - I asked 4 other people to try and smell it on me -- nothing. For that price, I expect major longevity and was quite disappointed.
    ...
    Agreed, longevity is not its strongest point. I find it typically last around 4 hours.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Agreed, longevity is not its strongest point. I find it typically last around 4 hours.
    +1

    That was my experience as well.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Glad to see I wasn't going crazy when I sampled this at the weekend. Despite 5 sprays to my wrist, it seemed to disappear after my long train journey back from Harrods. The opening was incredible, but goddamn I need longevity for that price.

    They've also released it in a 30ml presentation box for £250.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    for swap/sale:





  27. #27

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    Glad to see I wasn't going crazy when I sampled this at the weekend. Despite 5 sprays to my wrist, it seemed to disappear after my long train journey back from Harrods. The opening was incredible, but goddamn I need longevity for that price.
    Make that both of us!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
    Actually no Hedonist. You taste is much more refined and excellent than this!

  29. #29

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Actually no Hedonist. You taste is much more refined and excellent than this!

    Teehee.


    for swap/sale:





  30. #30

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Come on guys... I had a chance to sample this and I think this is the most EXQUISITE oudh I have ever smelled. Anything but the real and finest stuff in this would disappoint me coming from Roja Dove. No plastic-y vibe, a splendid smokiness, elegantly redux and moderate longevity. However, if I was on the hunt for the finest oudh, this would be my thing. The price tag, however, would really require a deep inner craving being twice as expensive as the Caron fountain extraits, for example. BUT smells superb to me, refined and like top quality... picture the perfect setting: a full-bodied and aged Burgundy red wine, a fine cigar(illo) and a full wearing of Roja Dove's Aoud.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    I attended The second middle east fragrance summit last week This one was presented to the audience

    by Roja himself. In the past, By Killian pure aoud was the best oud i ever tried. This one surpass it by a clear mile.

    marvellous aroma.

    Sad thing about it, it does not have the real natural oud ( being banned by IFRA)

  32. #32

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    I smelled it at Harrods too. Utterly fantastic stuff, potent and juicy, amped-up saffron just how I like it. I didn't try it on skin though, and if its lack of longevity is true, then it's absolutely a no-no, at that price.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  33. #33

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    its expensive crap.
    Bought the bottle - sprayed twice or so and really regret this purchase.
    NO oud inside and despite the fact that its concentrated parfum, it lasts maximum 4-5 hours with very cheap drydown.
    actually, i thik that Roja Dove is best self-promoting so called perfumer.
    i doubt that he was really working at Guerlain as the nose. Distributor? yes. Perfumer? no way.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Roja Dove Aoud

    Ok, we got it: Rose and Oud do great together. Can we move on now?

    Roja's Oud is a disappointment to say the least. Yes, the quality is there but, at these prices, this is a very basic condition.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Similar Threads

  1. Roja Dove
    By Bluestocking Totty in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th March 2011, 11:31 AM
  2. Roja Dove perfumes.
    By sean-dt in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th April 2010, 11:09 PM
  3. Re Roja Dove
    By Skib in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th May 2009, 01:16 PM
  4. Roja Dove Meet
    By Lian in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th May 2009, 10:56 AM
  5. New Roja Dove book
    By Pour_Monsieur in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th September 2008, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •