Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vive les ringardes!

Who among us might dare to leave the Dream of Glamour and Riches behind and come along on a New Journey?

Vive les Ringardes!
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vive les ringardes!

New Jersey, you say?

Sounds good to me!

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Ah, Rube--You kill me. You and your "Soldes." NO. It is most definitely *NOT* --not a solde to be had any time before, during or after Fashion Week!
    So ....... zero chance of me picking up a Brioni suit for a few hundred Euro, then? You don't have some connections you could hook me up with?

I'm liking the idea of this trip a lot. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and a fanny pack. And you definitely won't see me in those Euro man-capri pants. Ringard is more a state of mind. A chance to just not think about what people might think.

What about the catacombs, though? Don't think I was joking about that. The catacombs in your ISM - it's on my bucket list now. Don't let me down.

- - - Updated - - -

Like these:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll dare.

Ah, yes. It takes a certain type to dare. A staunch independence. A kind of intrepid Faith, and an inner security, to approach the world devoid of expectations of the usual. It takes an huge amount of self confidence, and a complete lack of desire to find something specific at the end of the rainbow, to inch your way up, to climb and claw, then slide your way down, knowing that once arrived, there may be nothing save for a good time, a pocket full of two-penny bottles of the purest essences in the ugliest bottles, and a whole lot of good wine. None of you might be surprised that I am born of very exacting parents. My mother, especially, had, among things other than my signature below, this she often said: Something that stuck with me:

"It's all very well to have good taste, but bad taste might also be interesting. It's no taste at all that becomes problematic."
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 23rd October 2012 at 01:45 PM.

MdM, I love that line from your mother. True, isn't it?

True it is, as I have found it. Sayings are sayings, but realities are quite another thing. They are true, and veritable, and we must live with them, if only for a specific period of time: So here we go, off an kind of hunt to find the right candidates to join our troupe: Dr. Redneck Perfumistico, who requires no title, Rubegon le seducteur en polyesther solde, Lilybelle la Rose Blanche, Ingami, Deesse de la Liberte, and finally, leMdm: Gatekeeper, Pied Piper and Ringmaster of the Forgotten Circus: Now accepting applications to a closed, and very exclusive club. Basenotes Meet up, this is not. This....is a meeting of the minds.

What a lovely title! I hope I can live up to it. And to everything that "daring" entails. But...a journey!! How exciting! It is irresistible.

What daring entails is quite simple. Daring, as it pans out, is less intricate than not daring. Recently I've come to this conclusion as it has been said that I have a tendency to dare very fluently: What passes as daring is what actually might come very naturally to all of us were we only inclined to allow ourselves the freedom to do and say what we wish, when it suits are purpose. Daring is fun. It's what makes like spicy and exciting. It might be something very simple. You may be daring and not even know it. Daring to have a good time, for example. It seems to me that these days it takes a bit of an adventurous, intrepid spirit to truly let loose and ride the wave of wonder, unconcerned. Here is the key. To be unconcerned what others may think, or others may do faced with your gestures. Also, to be unconcerned with potential consequences. We might want to control ourselves in different instances, when in reality we'd be just as well suited to not give a fig. People will think what they will and there's nothing at all we might do about it: Chances are they are thinking regardless of what we do. No means to control that. We may decide to back out of the prepaid parachute drop into Burning Man next August: The money is spent. Now: We must need jump from a plane. Strange how alluring it sounded before the signature got couched on the document and the cheque was cut and drawn. Thrill: Temporarily put on hold. But then, there will come that time. There will be an instant when up in a plane, a parachute will be strapped on: There will be wind...and noise...and cold....and all that is left to do is jump. Sounds easy. But......but yet........here we are sitting, and wondering: "Well--it sounded fun. Now, as it appears....It must be done. What if.....what if the parachute malfunctions? What if......What if. What if it doesn't malfunction, and you fly into the desert, and land into a mass of cheering people, all with there hands up to catch you? It just takes a dare. I'm thinking.....it will be as easy as that one jump: After all, I've been no stranger to crowd surfing, been no stranger to the lead singer of the Horrors, who happens to be over two meters tall, standing on my shoulders and ripping a mirror ball out of the ceiling, being then covered in dust and waking up the next morning with both shoulders black with bruise. That was not planned, but it was unforgettable. I suppose.....to live moments that are legendary, that is to dare.....I wonder: Just how many mirror balls has that man yanked off the ceiling of a mid IXXe music hall in the middle of a concert? Yes we were all covered in dust and bits of plaster and my shoulders hurt for days, but it was thrilling. I wonder: Would that moment not have happened, had I moved aside when he began to walk out onto the crowd? Did he imagine that, because I was taller than most he would reach the ceiling? How many people felt as if they were witnessing something legendary? An entire music hall remembers it. He remembers it. I remember it. But none of it would have happened without.....the dare. So: What if we dare to annex the town of Grasse, and claim it as our own for a few nights? I'd be willing to bet, if we worked it right, the inhabitants of that city would not soon forget us. We just must dare to go, and, once there, dare to make complete spectacles of ourselves: Les Ringardes, The invasion. Grasse will never be the same.

Ah, Grasse! That explains all the ugly two penny bottles of purest essences (and loads of wine)! I've never been there. That sounds perfect! I hope you don't expect me to parachute into town...I won't. That would be something, though, wouldn't it? An entire traveling troupe parachuting into town? I'll bet Red would do it. Yes, no expectations except an adventure and a great time. Leave all our worries behind. It's high time. I am inspired!

Grasse! and daring - who could resist? And adventure to be sure, I too am inspired! ( I rather doubt I would parachute, lilibelle, I don't know about you but all of my parachutes are worn out from so many jumps )

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    New Jersey, you say?

Sounds good to me!
    LOLZ!

Basenotes Plus

i don't mind meeting up only in my mind- and I have a WWII parachute! Will that help??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Parachuting into Grasse would be a scintillating experience! For the moment, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that in August I will be parachuting into Burning Man, never having parachuted before. I suppose, if there is a place to make such an entrance, it would be Burning Man, wouldn't it? Which would be a better pad upon which to land? An endless field of lavender, or an unending crowd of stoned alt-burners chanting in unison and raising their arms up to catch you? I will keep you posted. For the record, I'm not entirely sure which it will be: I imagine it might go this way. After Burning Man, assuming I do have the courage to do it, which I am assuming I will as the arrangements are made, and paid for, there will be one of two developments:

Possibility number one:

Guys! We're so parachuting into Grasse! It's the only way! We can have tester fights on the way down! We'll each arm ourselves with full vapos--It will be rad!

Possibility number two:

So. The train from Paris is lovely. Do avoid the ham sandwiches.

I'm not quite sure which it will be. Also, Shineybeast, neither am I quite sure what it is precisely that's going on here. It would seem that we're floating the idea of a closed club Grasse outing in 2014. Since we have two years to plan it, who knows how we will be getting there? However: One thing is certain. We won't be going *just* to smell perfumes. I've already got a plan to be the first person to test out the effects of drinking a pint of Molinard....something. Flavouring whatever it is we might smoke with Habanita, and most definitely not rushing around. It's Grasse. The South of France is a place where Slowmo lives, continues to live, and most likely will forever live, happily ever after. Furthermore, There is a dress code: I'm imagining that we all might make an effort to bring our loudest, funnyest, and most comfortable attire: I'm already seeing printed Jellabas on Lilybelle and myself: Chantilly Pink for LB, perhaps dun buff for me. We're both allergic to the sun. Dr. Red will be perfectly fit in his own fashion, as only he might make inherently chic and enviable: Add bermuda shorts to that, Dr. Red, and we're in business. Yes. They can be plaid. I'm on a mission to see Rube in the "Euro Man Shorts," but, knowing him as I do, I'm sure he will have his way: And so will you, Shineybeast: Just make sure to pack the wackiest things you own: Perhaps dye your hair blue? I just have this vision....you know.....we're all in Grasse.....all we do is lounge around in cafes after gingerly visiting all the perfume museums and flower processing factories.....the cut off for being frankly drunk/otherwise altered is 2:00pm, 14h00 local time, and no matter what happens, we're never allowed to rush.

The train for me, though parachuting in does sound like the way to arrive, the way this adventure is shaping up. I've got two years to decide, though. Slomo living and Molinard cocktails and Habanita smokes and vats of rose petals and jasmine and lavender, strange & fun clothes -- it all sounds heavenly. I am definitely allergic to the sun - what's a jellaba, one of those long, neck to foot garments? That's for me. The whole thing sounds wonderful.

<3

adding...LeMdM, your Burning Man plan this August worries me. It makes me nervous and that's all I'll say about it anymore.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 25th October 2012 at 05:00 AM.

Well, I do have a pair of goat-leggings that I just don't get to wear often enough.

Not even kidding.

Can I borrow those for Burning Man?

I just now caught on to where this thread originated. I am so clueless. Inga, I was thinking...you and I could arrive by barge - wouldn't that be fun? - but we'll have to find a suitable waterway. There may not be one.

I'm thinking....a barge specifically designed to float on a sea of lavender blossoms in bloom. This will be particularly effective as that specific shade of lavender does with the melange of blues in Inga's Dior Feather-Explosion head dress. I'm seeing lots of flowy chiffon in this image.

Now, SB, things done simply are rarely the most interesting, nor do they often reach the levels of thought provoking complexity of which I am so fond. Taking that as a given, I trust you understand that my asking to borrow your Goat Leggings was by no means a simple gesture: Actually, it is heavily laden in volumes of untold data. Clearly: one does not simply lend Goat Leggings. Neither does one simply ask that they be lent....That being said, I do admit that Goat Leggings would most certainly suit you better than they would me. I think, for me, Flamingo Leggings would be more in tune with my body type. Dr. Red, do you have any?

Blog Entries

I am not sure you can say "Vives les Ringardes" and BE a ringarde at the same time. But I promise I will get a hideous spray tan and cornrow braids, if you let me come on this trip. Also. I think Burning Man is a bit of a fashionable event and not ringarde (check out Zoraya Judd's pole performance from a recent BMan) but I can so picture you there, parachute or otherwise. plus someone needs to keep Redneck company there. He is threatening to go. Are there bathrooms at Burning Man?

For now I am still wearing Bal Moto Jacket in Poudre. or Ciel.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 26th October 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

It's Aquamarine, F. Burning Man experience depends on the camp you buy into. There are camps that have ballrooms & suites that are airconditioned. It all depends on who you go with. The experience varies from "Barefoot Dirt Hippies Begging for Food" to 5 course meals prepared by semi-famous chefs and served on Limoges. You sort of have to know the people to buy into the camp. I *require* airconditioning and sheets & mod coms. I could very easily rough it if it were in a forest--like the Solstice Festival Rave outside of Amsterdam in June 2011--when I slept in a tiny wee tent--but then I was so altered the whole time I didn't much care where or how I slept. It even POURED rain one night and I *still* made it into the tent, and somehow woke up in it. This said, I had a very nice friend with me whom I met on BN......

Guerlainista

Rubegon le seducteur en polyesther solde
    You wound me! Cheap bastard I may be, but I do not wear polyester. I may be a little slow, but I can be taught. I went to BB just like you said. And I stopped buying shiny ties. No pin stripes or double breasted jackets. See?

So. The train from Paris is lovely. Do avoid the ham sandwiches.
    I'm leaning towards flying into Nice and renting a little Peugot convertible. I had one of these for a one week road trip through Spain once, and it made that trip twice as cool.

I'm on a mission to see Rube in the "Euro Man Shorts," but, knowing him as I do, I'm sure he will have his way
    They wouldn't work with my boots. And they look stupid. (just kidding - I just think they look stupid).

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    But I promise I will get a hideous spray tan and cornrow braids, if you let me come on this trip.

For now I am still wearing Bal Moto Jacket in Poudre. or Ciel.
    OK - if F shows up with cornrows and a spray-on tan, I'll wear manpri pants. Maybe. Only if she doesn't make it somehow look fabulously chic. I'm pretty sure she will, so I should be safe ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, Rube, I would never intentionally wound you. I trust you know that. "le Seducteur en Polyesther solde" was tongue in cheek. Furthermore, I think those Euro Man-pri cargos would do on you: Just not with cowboy boot, you know. At any rate: I'm hellbent on imposing my usual dress code restrictions. As it happens, I'm known for that. This is a Fancy Dress Gathering and as such, we all must look perfectly ridiculous. I refuse to trot all the way out to the Provinces and not embrace the opportunity to be hilariously clothed the entire time, and I think all of us should embrace this approach post haste: Going forward, since we all have two years to prepare, we might just keep our eyes open while passing by thrift stores and the like for those couch-print giant sunflower rayon shirts, hot pink and sundry psychodelic paisely print moo-moos, a la Joanne Whirley on "Laugh Inn," and various head adornments: Lilybelle and I will be lighting the way in our Jellabas & parasols. At any rate: Grasse will be too hot for cowbowboots and Balenciaga Perfectos, no matter how "hello lover" gorgeous they might be. Anybody passing through hawaii between now and then should be stocking up on those $9.00 strappy velcro black sandals at ABC and verifying if there happens to be a shirt or a sundress for $29.99 that is simply too hideous to leave behind. The only one of our party who might have a tough time of it is Inga, as we all fully expect her to be parading about in Parisian Haute Couture the entire time, but not just any Parisian Haute Couture. Inga, we'll work this out. I have my connections.

PS: F, That video upstairs started out promising and just kept getting better. Yeeowza.
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 26th October 2012 at 05:39 AM.

A parasol!! That is exactly what I need. I hate hats. I can't bear to have anything on my head. A parasol would be so me, though. Good thing you're in charge, lMdM, to sort us out. Inga I can definitely see floating in on a sea of lavender in chiffon and feathered headdress, but not me, alas. Rube, I like man-pris. I think they're rather sexy. Fleurine, that was a fascinating video - gravity defying - she is an aerialist.

^^^ You know perfectly well I can't do that.

Maybe something like this for me (but with a higher neckline, and a lighter color)???...

And shall we bring him along for company?...

[deleted pic]

He looks like he goes, but I don't know him.

editing to add...never mind, he looks like a stepbrother I don't like. I suppose I just like the setting. Cancel him. He is reminding me of the Caron caveman debacle now.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 26th October 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Parachuting into Grasse would be a scintillating experience!

[I]Guys! We're so parachuting into Grasse! It's the only way! We can have tester fights on the way down! We'll each arm ourselves with full vapos--It will be rad!

I am just loving this thread! Okay, parachuting - just wondering, my headdress, I must wear it! Just to ponder this - I wonder how I would look coming down floating, floating, but firstly, in the rush, must think of a way to keep it on. It's quite a thought. Yet on a barge? Perfect! Oh MdM, lavender blossoms and flowing chiffon - it's a must! And slowmo - sounds just right. Who of us would want to rush through such an experience -

I too look forward to seeing you all in your finest goat leggings, bermuda shorts - and what have you. A jellaba, yes, lilybelle and MdM. I won't be able to indulge in one, I'll be in of course, Parisian Haute Couture. Call me Burning Woman!

Ingami, you are an adorable sweetheart. ♥

Yes, Ingami. You are our Icon of Fabulousness. I'm thinking: If we found some sort of platform, we men might parade you about the narrow, winding streets of Grasse a bit like Cleopatra: You can be lounging on it, all bedecked in the most spectacular Parisian Haute Couture, and have minions misting you with various perfumes, whilst others fan you. Speaking of men, note how they have all deserted us: No Dr. Red. No Rube. No SB. I'm happy to host a troupe of hot lasses in Grasse: Certainly all of you know that. Actually, this might be just the thing. This way, we might spend hours discussing those things of which I am so fond: Like how the new architectural approach in fashion is refreshingly body disguising. I for one am quite sick of seeing women wearing clothes so tight they look as if they are painted on: It's become vulgar and common. Naturally, Lilybelle and I will be carrying the "Pragmatic Flowy" torch, whilst Inga will have no need for pragmatism whatsoever, as she will be floating about and/or being carried hither and thither on a platform, with minions. Isn't it fascinating how the men just disappear as soon as we're on to dress code? What fun would life be if we couldn't spend hours labouring over our wardrobes? It's about the only indulgence we have left, everything having either become illegal or so staunchly un-PC as to be unthinkable. Now, LB, clearly: I am not expecting you to to be wearing orange polyesther double knit. We'll leave that to Rubicon. Furthermore, I find that silhouette ^^^^ a bit too revealing in the decolletage. You know how that area is the most sensitive part. We need FULL COVERAGE. Jellabas & parasols. I'm already scouting out couch-print fluorescent printed ones, paisely, hippie daisies, etc, in the local thrift shops. Add an enormous italian straw hat, 100+ SPF, and we're there. F is going to tell us that the 100spf will do no good: There is a FABULOUS one in France by Avene Eau Thermale that has a pinkish tone to it--it doesn't give you "clown face" and it unifies and brightens. Now I am *truly* trying to scare the men away. Oh yes: We might discuss perfume. Clothes and skin treatment.....nooooooooooo.

I agree, full coverage is essential. I would wear a turtleneck if I could stand one. I've been looking online at jellabas, kaftans, etc. No synthetic fabrics in those for me or I will suffocate in there. I am a major pain in the arse when it comes to dressing: nothing itchy, nothing on my neck, cannot tolerate anything on my head (no hats), nothing tight (I'm glad that's going away), nothing fussy, nothing to hot. A long sack will be so liberating! But it must be perfect. I found a site that sells double layer wrap skirts that can be wound around a hundred different ways into dresses, and tops, and skirts. Then I was off in the direction of sarongs and pareas and Thai fisherman pants...enthralled with the idea of traveling with a few squares and rectangles of cloth as a wardrobe. And very comfortable sandals. That is the life for me. It's just that the sun doesn't like me.

The fellas will be back, don't worry. They definitely want to go. We can visit all the *ard* fragrance houses, and I think you can tour a production facility to see how tons of flowers are turned into essences, and all sorts of interesting things to see and do. It's going to be great. Now all we have to do is cool our jets for two years.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 27th October 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Oh my, I am blushing, and I will have minions? ....swoon...

lilybelle, especially in light of the fact that I will be wearing my headdress, it's a dandy thing that I don't mind something on my head. My headdress is quite a something! But also, I like your ideas of " a few squares and rectangles of cloth as a wardrobe" as well. I've never seriously tried any of these items, I did have one thing that I could apparently wrap in many ways as a top, and I never did get the proper hang of it. I kept - well, you could say falling out of it I'm not one of your regular Dolly Parton types, yet I still couldn't keep it together. But I wouldn't mind trying again sometimes. It does seem to be so free just to wind, wrap and go, doesn't it? And some of the fabrics are so beautiful. ( and I agree with you MdM and lilybelle, nothing too tight! )

Inga, I was wondering about the security of some of those tops myself. BUT...I think tube tops and tanks will work under them, and a strategically placed pin or brooch. I love vintage brooches. I confess, I haven't actually tried this yet...it's all in the hypothetical stage...but practice makes perfect. There are videos on youtube that show you how to wrap and tie these things in a zillion ways. Not all of them are very revealing. I am rather modest myself. We could make it work. And, of course, there are always flower printed muu muus to throw on!!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 27th October 2012 at 03:59 PM.

I've in mind that all of us except for the men--if there are any--at this point it looks as though we have been deserted) are in flower and psych print moo-moos, save for Inga, as she will have her troupe of Parisian Haute Couture Habilleurs and Minions following her around. (In case you were wondering, Inga, ask LB: I have connections in Parisian Haute Couture.) There's nothing like Jellabas. I'm wearing one right now. I *Love* them--the only problem with Jellabas is that the summer cotton ones are not nearly as fab as the winter woolen ones: Just now I am wearing a swell raisin coloured wool one with VIOLET embroidery. They fall all the way to the feet, one needn't wear a thing under them--typically, in winter, I wear soft flannel boxers, but in summer, nothing. The thing is that I ususally just don't *have* summer, unless I go to Hawaii--in which case I wear black cotton ones everywhere, at least until the sun sets--then it's all hot pants and crazy t-shirts. My Jellaba habit is what has earned me the "Jesus" nickname in my neighbourhood, where I have gone as far as walking over to the deli naked in a cashmere throw. It's good that I live most of the year where one might do anything and not be frowned upon. In Paris, I hardly see myself in Franprix wearing anything but the usual finery. I was meant to leave on a plane this morning *AGAIN* for Paris. As it happens--we made a bet on a "fond de commerce" near Chanel--abandoned since 17 years--and won the auction! (for NOTHING.) Very exciting news. I am just *NOT REDAY* to face France again. I have only been back state side for mere weeks, after such a long sejour in Parisland: And what a flipping MESS that city is. Since I've been back, I've been embracing the freedom to be ugly and unkempt: In Paris, I immediately revert back to my lifetime habit of being "tire a quatre epingles" at all times, which in essence means one is dressed to the nines invariably: This just works in Paris. Here, as I said, my "PowerPuff Girl" slippers and a Jellaba do just fine to run an errand: As long as I have the appropriate sunglasses. Note to all. Thierry Lazry sunglasses are *the only* sunglasses *anyone* is wearing. EVERYONE had them on during fashion week--(except me--I'm very particular about my choice of sunglasses and have already a collection of nearly three hundred pairs)--If and when you see them, you'll immediately recognize them as the ones every major celebrity in the world has been wearing for the last year or so: Anne hathaway, Madonna, Everyone. Even that Korean dude who wears the Viktor& Rolf suits & does that dance with all of his Korean dancing girls behind him. For Summer 2013, I have some surprises to bust on all of you on the sunglass front. For the moment, Thierry Lazry is quite literally *the only* choice for anyone who wishes to be chic. I *almost* bought a pair--but then I thought: No. These just look like any pair of my unending selection of vintage Yves Saint Laurent's. At anyrate--just a tip. I'm sure Fleurine is *already* walking around in them.

Well, flower power or psych print muu muus in Grasse are fine - but I have no intention of wearing those on my way there, or wherever I wind up afterward, LOL! - I just got a visual of myself. I had a hot pink jellaba with feet (???) embroidered up the front of it in gold and white. I loved it but it was in some kind of fake silk synthetic material, and so I gave it away because it didn't breathe. I know the garment you speak of, MdM, and they are wonderful to wear. I had a pale blue cotton one that I used to wear when we lived in NY, and my neighbor made some remark like I hadn't bothered getting out of my nightgown for the day or something. Anyway, as long as we are all wearing them I'm more than fine with that. But for the rest of the time...I am going to explore the wrap and tie options. Since I can't sew. Don't worry, we'll wear whatever the costume is for the program...not attempting to usurp your production powers here. We must be a team, a troupe, right? I'm all for that. I can't help going off on flights of fancy, though, you know that.

LeMdM, I had to look up what a fond de commerce is. Can you win something like that in an auction? Anyway, congratulations! I'm so happy for you! I am sorry that you have to go back again to Paris so soon, though maybe it will be easier this time. You know how a new commute is so difficult until you get used to it. It is for me anyway, then once I've been doing it for a while I go on autopilot and forget all about how discombobulating it was at first. As for trends in sunglasses (or anything else fashion-wise) I am left behind in the dust, as I am not a fashionable person whatsoever, knowing nothing at all except what I see in the WSJ magazine - like today's - it's all futuristic; and an article on those two Hollywood twin actresses who have their own luxury fashion line now, and it looks pretty nice, actually - long and drapey just like I like things. I always lose my sunglasses so I pay no attention. Maybe I will get some round ones, 1920s style. *Flashy* doesn't really suit me, though I have always wanted some cat eyes with rhinestones.

So...if we're in jellabas, and ladies' wear is flowery muu muus, what do you propose for the gents?
    Last edited by lilybelle; 27th October 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: very difficult to type inside this box again! What's going on?

Blog Entries

I am still wearing the Fendi sunglasses I found in the surf in Bermuda. But I do have transition lenses in my regular Paul Smith glasses so that I can see in the sun. Just chiming in to thank Lilybelle for mentioning tube tops. I had forgotten about those, but that might be just the thing to show off my spray tan and cornrows (with matching beads, yes!!!).

Well--as all one needs to do is *suggest* they might wear something specific for them all to run screaming and abandon you, I imagine that I won't be suggesting anything. I had in mind that the non-sun-sensitive ones would use Dr. Red as an inspiration. I was so impressed with his look in those pictures from Mike's thread--I love it when men have their own special allure and it just suits them. I had always imagined Dr. Red to look a certain way and as it happened, he looks *EXACTLY* how I envisioned him: So that means that his "internals are in tune with his externals." Quite honestly--I don't care what we all wear: I just want to make sure we all look ridiculous the whole time. It's the Provinces! Why *Shouldn't* we look ridiculous? People there will just eat that up and adore us and we will be stars and given all kinds of special treatments. Your cat eye sunglasses with rhinestones are perfect. I *know* that if I am in Grasse, I will be walking around looking like Jesus: White linen Jellaba, strappy greek sandals, and a parasol, buttered up in 100spf. That "Avene Eau Thermale" pink one has changed my $495.00 Sisley "all day all year" habit--and THANK GOD.
    YOU. WOULD. LOVE. IT. --(@ LB) it's just got that tiny hint of rose petal pink so it doesn't give you clown face. I have very little colour in my face so if I wear high SPF I look like the Joker. Grasse will be hot and perhaps humid--so in essence it doesn't matter what we wear. I just want us to be that troupe that nobody forgets. Les Ringardes. (and since it looks as if the men have all bolted, the feminine gender is fine, even though, in French, in a "troupe" of one million women, if there happens to be just one man in that troupe, the entire troupe becomes masculine, just because there is *one man.*) In answer to your question: the fond the commerce was vacant and forgotten and we just threw a "nothing" bid at it and won! (it's how it works in France.) Still in shock. Perfect location. Perfect building. I'm very excited. Though now.....gulp......it's.....you know.....back......um.....THERE.

Fleurine, you are very welcome. I'm glad to have helped.

LMdM, don't worry dear. It is all in the hands of Providence, obviously. How else to just luck upon a fond de commerce near Chanel for a nothing bid? It fits.

0x0x0x0x

Basenotes Plus

LB, on YOU the "wrap a rectangle of fabric and go" style would look divine. I've tried it, the result is more like Elsa Lanchester in Bride of Frankenstein.
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

Let me just add 3 words to mull over: rompers, acrylic nails.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    LB, on YOU the "wrap a rectangle of fabric and go" style would look divine.
    Thank you, Knit, but I'm not so sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I've tried it, the result is more like Elsa Lanchester in Bride of Frankenstein.
    Now, I doubt that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Let me just add 3 words to mull over: rompers, acrylic nails.
    Oh dear. Goes with the fake tan and beaded corn rows, though.

Basenotes Plus

lol- rompers, a real tan & beaded blond corn rows describes one of our local artists to perfection
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

Oooooo! This is sounding fun! And I will need to recover from my planned "return to the dirt" at Burning Man! I want to get back to certain days in my youth, when I did things like sleeping in a primal crouch, as if in a cave, next to the fire. But after that, I need to come back to civilization - hopefully in a more relaxed state. Grasse would be lovely!

Not sure if I should bring my broad-brimmed Snowy River hat. It is quite weathered, and has one small corner which was eaten by marmots in the mountains of Colorado. And yet it goes well with short sleeves and a tie, as I wore to Guerlain. Thanks to the spiritual power of Marmot, my hat disarms people with its authenticity and makes them smile - but not my wife, who is still coming to terms with the existence of dirt, let alone things which were chewed by mammals in search of salt. But it would certainly be nice in the sun, and more interesting than my ball-caps or my fedora.

Actually, I think we would be quite a troupe.

Mr. Redneck P, please, please bring the Snowy River hat! It's a must. ( but only if you feel like it of course )
    LMdM - the right connections for Parisian Couture? I am more than pleased to hear that. Because, I know it's hard to believe but I sure don't!

Now about those Jellabas, do you think, maybe - maybe I would have one for "later", you know, if it's very warm weather and I could slide into one after I get off the barge? I just might have to get the sewing machine out. You all have inspired me, and I think I will look up some patterns. Fleurine, the cornrows and acrylic nails? Absolutely! and whoo-hoo! your found sunglasses. I don't blame you for wanting them with you. For the rhinestone embedded cat-eye glasses, I had found two old pairs a few years ago and gave one pair to a cousin at Christmas. ( we give each other tacky type presents at Christmas, anything as goofy as possible that we find at $2.00 or less somewhere, it's become a tradition of sorts ) I still have a pair left, but they're very strong RX glasses and I nearly go blind when I try them on. Much better to have them as sunglasses!

I'm thinking this "Raging River Hat" (?) sounds perfect, Dr. Red. As long as it makes no sense and is unexpected. I think these might be our guidelines for defining visuals for "Les Ringardes do Grasse, 2014;" since there is strictly no reason for us not to be "Ringardes," (Even our title makes scant grammatical sense: It should be "Les Ringards.") I feel as though it is our opportunity to stop running and enjoy the rose water, which, of course, we will be drinking: Rosewater Cocktails, Orangeflower water Cocktails, Violetwater Cocktails; As I see it, we will be immersing ourselves inside and out in perfume. I have every intention of drinking a pint of Molinard eau de something (as long as it's not the "Musc") just to see what happens. Hopefully, I'll catch a buzz and I won't end up savouring it in "les urgences." I have a French Social Security number, so no worries! If there's one thing about France that is reassuring, it's knowing that, if you are unwell, no matter what, you will be very promptly looked after, and it will not cost a thing: Including house calls by very concerned and attentive doctors. Two things I have *never* understood about America: One--the most obvious--the fondness of INSISTING on using a measurement system based on the size of a long dead king's foot, when the metric system is SO EASY and makes SUBLIME SENSE and it would take the brain power of a MONKEY to understand it, and, two, why it is that the American people will sooner see people die on the street than allow National Healthcare to become the norm without all of this ridiculous hullabaloo that seems will never stop. Both of these questions have their very simple backdrops that nobody seems to want to take into consideration: The metric system is as easy as counting to 10--so--why the resistance? National Healthcare is the norm in most developed countries and does not cost so much that the cost could be the problem, especially if numbers were crunched and things like: The Cost of The Death Penalty (no longer in practice in *any* non third world country) were analyzed, or The Cost of The War on Drugs were looked at, or The Cost of the Prison System were faced. People seem to live in denial of all of these things--yet--mention National Healthcare--and everyone screams "SOCIALISM!" which is interesting to me because socialism might be just as conservative as it could be otherwise. (When asked about my political leanings, I describe myself as a "Conservative Socialist" and this answer, in America, *never fails* to illicit raging debates that show only a misconception of what precisely Socialism is, or could be.) The most interesting part is this: Under national healthcare, at least in France, one is looked after so much more efficiently than here. How the system pans out in other countries, I don't know. But don't let's turn this forum into a debate--heaven forbid. Readers--if you care to launch a political attack--kindly be considerate and do it elsewhere, thank you. I bring it up *simply* to point out that if I do become ill after my drinking of a pint of Molinard EdT, there will be no problem getting things right--and if LB or I fall over from sunstroke, again: No problem. We'll be fine. If any of us have an "Alcohol Poisoning Episode," (@ you, SB) IT'S ALL GOOD. Remember--we have only up until noon before we are all required to be at least slightly typsy. (F: No need to start laying down the law: We'll allow you to drink your thimble of Eau de Vie and let you off at that.) We will all buy "Alcohol Parfume," --one of my favourite French Things--Pure 100% alcohol that you carry around in your bag or pocket and consume on a sugar cube--three sugar cubes and your good. No need for a drink. Given the whole point is that we all relax, have a good time, laugh, and not be hurried or in a rush to go anywhere or do anything, I find it coherent that all of us be appropriately medicated the entire time: Pharmacies will be on our side for those of us who do not wish to drink. National Healthcare--Again--that little SS# number card I have does wonders! (and all French Pharmacies have a doctor on site available to see without an appointment) As for inhalants, don't you all feel as though the perfumes will only be more evocative if our senses of perception are augmented? Considering all of the above: The Dress Code does make sense--all of you will have to agree, non? Looking ridiculous is *the only* way to go.

I want to be upfront about this: I am not a tea-totaler. I will require *medication*. Now, neither am I one to drink anybody under the table because I will be the one under the table and I would like to be conscious. I like the sound of those sugarcubes, MdM, they seem like something to keep one properly buzzed at a consistent - yet not execessive - pace throughout the day. And flower water or Molinard something or other cocktails sound lovely! So I am on board with the "no sobriety after noon" rule (if I understand it correctly?). Dress code will make complete sense in this context, I'm sure.

[Is anybody else having trouble with this text box?]

Totally random, off-topic and belated question: may I have the honor of joining the "ringardes" group, at least virtually, here on Bsenotes? Since I truly feel obviously "ringard" myself, at least in terms of fashion and/or style choices, as well overall outlook, perception on life.

Of course, Ken. The more Ringards we have, the stronger the movement! Are you ready to wear the Euro-Manpris?

Why of course, as long as it makes me look like yesteryear's dandies, along the lines of the illustrious Brummel or his royal "fat friend" George IV. (incidentally, also sharing the birthday, although the years are obviously differing, with the latter).

Blog Entries

Alright! A tip of the Snowy River hat to our latest Ringard!

Oh, damn - there's no hat smiley. A cold mug will have to do!

Could it be that I just spend too much time with these Thierry Lazry sunglass wearing fashionistas? Or....could it be that I am finally coming to terms with the fact that it's not because I own the Jacket that I am the person? Is it a little bit of both? Hopefully, this will have a trickle down effect on my frenetic perfume buying: Not content to have an entire room full of vintage perfume in sealed boxes, I continue to buy more. (just scored a juicy 4.5 oz BAV PdT in lyre flacon on e-bay for $51.00 shipping included. That now makes my stock in BAV PdT close to swimming pool level.) I do use this, though. Every time September hits I'm quite shocked by it: It *does* "stink" in such an alluring way; a fascinating way, but then, oh, but then:--then I again become enamored and begin abusing. Abusing with abandon. That EdC--I could drink it. (Haven't tried so far: 450 essences and guaranteed natural musks--5 different kinds--all natural given the vintages: Not *too* keen on tasting it) I think BaV is quintessentially Ringard. So old. So forgotten. The vintage is simply *nothing* like the new (gold box)--I don't think I could ever wear that. Get a hold of the right vintage though and, by God, What. A. Ride. LB & I have in common this fascination for the strange perfumes of old. Sometimes I wonder: How could Jean Desprez possibly have put something so outrageously filthy on the market in 1962, and snubbed Jean Patou himself in the face by making it 15% more expensive than Joy? No doubt: It was worth it. It also "keeps" beautifully. You all know I have tried and used many perfumes in my day but there just isn't anything that comes near this: Naturally, in order to appreciate it, the wearer must be fearless. Ringard or otherwise. This is what makes the Ringard, as now defined by our little troupe: Yes, we appreciate all of the modern things. However--if something completely out of fashion--so out of fashion that it is deemed "weird" by modern noses--yet we still love it and must have it, then wear it proudly, we illustrate the qualities of the Ringard. We're a bit like "Les Incroyables" after the French Revolution. "The Unbelievables." I think I've always been an "Unbelievable." It's inherent to my nature. I've never *not* been an "Unbelievable." We all manifest our Ringard status differently. Some do it unawares. I feel as though we just may be launching a new stylistic movement here. Some would call it "The Independents." We--we'll call it "Les Ringardes." Off kilter, Off point. Off our Rockers, Off trend....and proud. For once i wish we had that lovely collection of yellow people they have on Fragrantica. Sometimes it's worth going on there just to send a PM using only those little things to tell a story: LB & I have done it--and in the end we've laughed and said: We don't even need words. Let's see.....hmmmm:
    that's about as on point as I can find for us: We've all just now to imagine that there's beer in there, or champagne! (Or else: "We're Bathing In Our Own World." Who among us might spin off a logo? Dr. Red? You blew us away with your handy work for o1 Ix: Care to have another go at it? This time, we may just need to have the T-shirts run up.....for the trip, you know!

Yes, those old *weird* fragrances are the most seductive, addictive, evocative, dreamy treasures. I can understand how you couldn't resist one more bottle, MdM. Why not? Bathing in our own world...that is exactly what they represent.

Hi, Ken!

Blog Entries

Who among us might spin off a logo? Dr. Red? You blew us away with your handy work for o1 Ix: Care to have another go at it? This time, we may just need to have the T-shirts run up.....for the trip, you know!
    Yes!

However, this is not something that should be done without proper inspiration!

This requires even more care than the sharing of goat leggings!

I shall begin dwelling on this.....

Awaiting that moment when wonderful things happen in the mind for no apparent reason!

Blog Entries

See, if Rafa Nadal can wear them, anybody can!

Me, I've *always* worn knee breeches. The new cargo inspired ones, or the Nike sports-attire ones, those, I've never worn. How I have come to make a life long signature of knee breeches, I don't know: My first pair were Yves Saint Laurent Homme--and, from memory, it would have been 1978 when I got them. They were grey tweed. In France we called them "Cullottes de Golf"--In English I have heard them referred to by various names: "Knickers" is the usual one, which always makes me laugh because "knickers" for me in English means ladies' underpants. I researched it and the American "Knickers" comes from "Knickerbockers," which is how they were defined in the 20's when they were quite common on men. I loved my original pair so much! In 1978 I would wear them with argyle socks, and lace up booties. In the 80's I wore them with torn up fishnet hose and those bizarre pointy shoes we all wore that we called in France "Joe Jacksons" that you could find on the King's Road in every colour imaginable. It took me two years to have the original pair copied by a tailor. I just got up and counted: There are now fourteen pairs hanging in my closet here. Many others in other closets elsewhere. I love them: I do think it's a "body type" thing, though. They look swell on me because my legs are a bit too long and as they "cut" the silhouette I think they just suit me. That they have essentially *never* been in style in my lifetime has never once perturbed me. People have even asked me bluntly--"why do you wear those funny pants all the time?" The truth is: They are so much more comfortable than long pants. They weren't a staple in menswear for over 400 years for nothing. My latest incarnation of them are cut just like jeans, except they stop just below the knee, and have a band with two buttons and a slit. They look great worn any number of ways, with all manner of footwear--from intricate shoes, socks, thigh highs, to no shoes at all. They are an unexplored fashion frontier. Believe me when I tell you, Gentlemen: They are just more comfortable. They also appeal to my "inner Robin Hood/Forest-dwelling wood nymph." Figuring out what to do with your calves becomes second nature once you get the hang of it. (American Apparel cotton thigh high socks changed my life: $11.00-$17.00--and they stay up.) Are these what you're calling "Rompers?" I'm not sure I know what "Rompers" are. At any rate--I'm sure to be wearing knee breeches off and on in Grasse: SB, you can wear your Goat Leggings. I'm sure they suit you--and I would look silly in them. (Sillier) The subject of that "Irrespressibles" video came up mere minutes ago between a friend and myself on the phone. Naturally, I diffused that one everywhere I could. She asked: "Aren't you going to be one of those clown people from that video that you were making everyone watch?" We of course were discussing Hallowe'en. I would, you know, but as it happens I've other things on my mind. I have all of the clothes--and they all already get worn--I would just need to put on the make-up. After hanging up the telephone I thought--I'm *already* one of "those clown people" from "that video." Funny--I wasn't even trying. Some people are born to be "those clown people." I'm thinking: Why else would I have cocardes (the ribbon pins they all wear) in every colour I would ever want, Ostrich plumes, frock coats, knee breeches, striped thigh highs, funny red shoes, suspenders: Every component of the "Clown People's" wardrobe stacked neatly in drawers--and not resereved for hallowe'en: Just as wardrobe components? This said: I'm still on the Jellaba page for Grasse. I just want.....No clothes. For me, disguise is wearing ONE article of clothing, and having that be my ensemble. We might consider building teams. LB & I are on the Granny team. We'll be the ones in the full length all-covering Jellabas carrying parasols. Dr. Red, you'll have to define your team--The Rednecks--What do you think? We have "The Grannies," and "the Rednecks." We need at least one more team.
    Inga? any ideas? Fleurine? Ken? Dr. Red: Your team doesn't have to be called "the Rednecks," but I have just appointed you captain of one: Up to you to name it. I've also just appointed myself captain of "the Grannies" and called LB as my VP, knowing she won't mind. We need one more team. Ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a question: Is it a holiday today? It's 9:30pm pacific standard time and my entire neighbourhood has erupted in screaming and explosive noise. I went outside and walked a block up the street and peeked around the corner--there is a kind of parade going on....or something. I can hear roars and car horns and the craziest hullabaloo. Anybody know? I made three phone calls and got three message boxes. Nobody seems to be home--yet everyone is screaming. What's going on?
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 29th October 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Might it be the World Series causing the hullabaloo??
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

A romper suit is a one-piece garment worn by children and sometimes women. Somewhat similar to a coverall, it is loose fitting and usually has shorter legs that may be gathered at the end. Puffed pants are particularly associated with rompers. Rompers usually are meant as a combination of shorts and a shirt, though the term can include jumpers, one-piece bathing suits, and clubwear fashions to name a few.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 29th October 2012 at 06:43 AM.

I had a pair of knickers/knee pants in the early 80s (83, was it?). I loved them. Mine were a very fine wale moss green corduroy. Maid Marian indeed. I can't remember what shoes I wore with them (probably ballet flats, which I lived in), but I did wear opaque tights underneath. Mine is not a figure that needs cutting in half, but I was waif thin back then so they looked cute. I LOVE those thigh high socks! I used to wear those under long skirts because I couldn't stand pantyhose (that was my boxers/tap pants phase). Apparently, they still make them because I was looking online for some again. Funny you should mention those. One thing you will never ever see me in is Bermuda shorts. You must have narrow hips and long legs for those, imo. I look so pathetic in those. Sometimes I'll try some on in a store just to clown around for a laugh. Yay, Team Granny! It will be nice to just not have to think about clothes and to live in a jellaba. I can't wait to see our logo. Love to you all. xoxoxo

- - - Updated - - -

"The most ancient clowns have been found in the Fifth dynasty of Egypt, around 2400 BCE.[4] Contrary to court jests, clown have traditionally served a socio-religious and psychological role, and traditionally the role of priest and clown have been held by the same persons.[4][5][6][7]"

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clown...

Le Mouchoir de Monsieur, Master of Ceremonies, Ringmaster, Chief Clown...you want to make people think. You know your calling. How fortunate for you, but especially for those who meet you.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th October 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Le Mouchoir de Monsieur, Master of Ceremonies, Ringmaster, Chief Clown...you want to make people think. You know your calling. How fortunate for you, but especially for those who meet you.
    Yes, Le Mouchoir de Monsieur, but especially for those who meet you - you are so right Lilybelle-

Blog Entries

Well, if there are the Grannies, maybe my team could be the Kiddies. They could wear things like rompers and cowboy hats and other things that might not normally be found on PEOPLE WHO SHOULD ACT THEIR AGE* (*but don't)!

So Sweet, all of you. It was. It was that....game....or whatever it was. What i would like to know is this: Why the F&*K are they all so happy? Just about everyone's summer home who lives in Philadelphia is now flooded--full of water--and the entire Southern Jersey shore is devastated--and these people are rushing about screaming about some bollocky game? --sorry-- I very seriously don't quite understand the most minute, microscopic thing about this. There is silent warfare all over western europe. the Southern New Jersey shore is underwater: all of those lovely homes--Lee McQueen hangs himself from a belt in his armoire--half of Africa is dying of famine--people are being beheaded on public plazas in the near east--America faces two (fill in your own blank here) as potential presidents--and hoards and hoards and hoards of people are rushing into the streets dancing because....because of some game? --a game-- Yes: it was that game, because I walked into work this morning and asked what was going on last night and everyone looked at me as if I were daft. So ^^^^ upstairs there: yes. It was the....the world cup or whatever world...something. Don't let's start, now. You've all to cut me a bit of slack here. There are moments such as these that make so little sense to me that I become enraged. Enraged. My apologies but I am very upset just now to think that so many people that are close to me are in peril and yet some bloody game is making the front page of the newspapers. It's not fair.

I suppose I'll chill out tomorrow.

Maybe they were cheering & partying because the absurdly long and boring baseball season is officially over for a few months.