Code of Conduct

Default Just got my decant of Aventus... (Kron)

Kind of disappointed. I was expecting the smell to be fruity pineapple and blackcurrant.. but what I smell is something almost unpleasant, so hard to describe. I get the ash, maybe a touch of blackcurrant, but NO pineapple... but there is something else.

I don't know if it is because of the heat (when I got my package in the mail, the bottle was slightly warm) which could have caused it to go off...

Anyway, it's only been 30 minutes of wearing, I'll see if it gets better. But as of now I'm a bit sad. I can't see myself wearing this ever. (20 year old male college student.)

Note: This is not meant to hurt Kron's split thread... the packaging was beautiful, the bottle looks amazing, and it arrived quickly... it might just be me, or the summer heat that ruined Aventus.

Would like some feedback!
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Default Re: Just got my decant of Aventus... (Kron)

I can safely say that Kron's Aventus is the best (out of three) that I've smelled. Top notes are far from unpleasant for me. Blackcurrant dominates the top, but you can still get a sense of the sharper and sweeter qualities of the pineapple. I believe this batch to be better blended than others and so possibly the top notes are not as distinct as you were expecting.

As for ash, the combination of jasmine, birch wood, patchouli and juniper is supposed to smell like a "smoky floral". If it were not for these middle notes the fragrance would be very feminine in my opinion.

Not ash, though, smoky floral!

give this one some time/wearings... it'll grow on you. plus from what I hear it gets crazy compliments all the time so taht may help you like it more.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I didn't order any of Kron's aventus splits but I just did get a bottle of Aventus. I certainly don't think it was the heat that cause the ash scent you're smelling. It's actually the fragrance.

Aventus is a very strage fragrance, I just applied some of one of the very first batches that is highly regarded as having the better topnotes with lots of pineapple and all thats coming to my nose is a very prominant blackcurrant.

I personally find it a stragely inconsistant fragrance which can smell very fruity with the pineapple one day and different the next. Stick with it and try it on a few different occasions. The weird thing is if you smell the good batches straight from they flacon they emit a very sugary sweet alcohol smell and the bad ones like A42B10KO4 just smell very dark and almost sour.

I've not encoutered a fragrance before that has so many variables and differences. I think the 'ash' you're getting in this is probably the oakmoss. Some of the previous ones are much darker and aren't dynamic and just end up smelling like an ashtray. This batch is one of the better ones.

Glad you got it but sorry you're dissapointed matey If there's anything I can do to help please let me know!

Some batches have a brighter, fruity immediate opening but all the ones I've sampled eventually turn into that ashy, smoky smell. I think that's just what this fragrance is. Because of BN's enthusiasm for it, it is easy to assume that it would be universally appealing.
    Time to musk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I personally find it a strangely inconsistent fragrance which can smell very fruity with the pineapple one day and different the next. Stick with it and try it on a few different occasions.
    I agree. It's a strange bird.

I hated Aventus too. I got a decant from Dullah. Very ash and burnt smoke too, smells like São Paulo Pollution!!!

The official Creed sample I ordered doesn't even have a hint of smoke or ash. It's all pineapple, apple, and blackcurrant at the top (juicy and fruity smelling), and dries down to a very light chypre base of moss, wood, and ambergris. I would imagine that I wouldn't care for the "smokey/ashy version" at all.

Aventus is a very strage fragrance, I just applied some of one of the very first batches that is highly regarded as having the better topnotes with lots of pineapple and all thats coming to my nose is a very prominant blackcurrant.

I personally find it a stragely inconsistant fragrance which can smell very fruity with the pineapple one day and different the next. Stick with it and try it on a few different occasions. The weird thing is if you smell the good batches straight from they flacon they emit a very sugary sweet alcohol smell and the bad ones like A42B10KO4 just smell very dark and almost sour.

I've not encoutered a fragrance before that has so many variables and differences. I think the 'ash' you're getting in this is probably the oakmoss. Some of the previous ones are much darker and aren't dynamic and just end up smelling like an ashtray. This batch is one of the better ones.

Glad you got it but sorry you're dissapointed matey If there's anything I can do to help please let me know!
    No problem! It's totally not your fault at all! Your bottle is probably the best looking decant I have lol. It's probably just the fragrance than. Just wanted to know whether others experienced the same thing, I really believed it was the heat.
    The sample I have from Creed (which I finished) was totally fruity (got quite a bit of pineapple).. this smells a whole lot different. Ah well, I was expecting this. I'll take your advice and give it a few more wearings and ask for female opinions. I'll keep you posted on whether my views change.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I was also in on the split, I think the juice is good. I had a sample from the perfumed court that was a little fruitier at the top, but otherwise, two very similar batches. Were you expecting an MI type of fruitiness?

Quote Originally Posted by Axcell View Post
    it might just be me, or the summer heat that ruined Aventus.
    Substitute "the summer heat" for "Creed" and you'll have a more accurate depiction.
    Last edited by Partario; 21st July 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    The official Creed sample I ordered doesn't even have a hint of smoke or ash. It's all pineapple, apple, and blackcurrant at the top (juicy and fruity smelling), and dries down to a very light chypre base of moss, wood, and ambergris. I would imagine that I wouldn't care for the "smokey/ashy version" at all.
    The batches when it first came out were all fruit, rubbery florals, a hint of smokey birch, and musk, now the most recent batches all seem to have far more smokey birch, less fruit, and more ambrox and Evernyl. I for one, like the synthetic apple, bergamot, juniper, evernyl, musk, isobuta, and ambrox alot, it's just not worth creed prices at all. But there was definitely far less ashy birch in the debut batches, the debut batch was much more fruity, metallic, and rubbery.....also early batches had far more of some dated fruity notes that appear to be stronger in the newest batches as well. But all the newer batches have much more birch than the debut batch, for sure. batch Kron is getting. His recent batch is very strong on the allyl stuff and ambrox.

Please, not another batch variation thread!

Dullah, lol @ "synthetic apple"...really, is there any other kind in perfumery ?
    -

I have a split coming from KRON and will report back as well. I have an older (first batch) that I still adore, whereas the newer batches are simply not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    give this one some time/wearings... it'll grow on you. plus from what I hear it gets crazy compliments all the time so taht may help you like it more.
    This.

I didn't like it at first but now it is one of my favorites. It certainly strays from the usual Creed fresh scent formula, which I think surprises people at first. If you are expecting an MI type of freshness/fruitiness you have come to the wrong place. I find this one more masculine than MI/SMW, etc. It will get compliments, but don't over spray.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Axcell View Post
    Kind of disappointed. I was expecting the smell to be fruity pineapple and blackcurrant.. but what I smell is something almost unpleasant, so hard to describe. I get the ash, maybe a touch of blackcurrant, but NO pineapple... but there is something else.

I don't know if it is because of the heat (when I got my package in the mail, the bottle was slightly warm) which could have caused it to go off...

Anyway, it's only been 30 minutes of wearing, I'll see if it gets better. But as of now I'm a bit sad. I can't see myself wearing this ever. (20 year old male college student.)

Note: This is not meant to hurt Kron's split thread... the packaging was beautiful, the bottle looks amazing, and it arrived quickly... it might just be me, or the summer heat that ruined Aventus.

Would like some feedback!
    Sell it and never buy a Creed blind again.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Sell it and never buy a Creed blind again.
    Buying this blind doesn't mean anything...I have tried a number of bottles from the SAME batch that smell different. I hope my split with KRON is good or I will be selling it as well....

Tried a decant of Aventus -- and smelled ashy, smoky, tarry pineapple. Tried another little decant -- and smelled ashy, smoky, tarry pineapple. Are there good batches out there? Who knows? I, for one, am not going to play Russian roulette with my $200.00 (neither decant was from Kron, by the way).

God bless small sample decants.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    I agree with you. I have a very small decant that a basenoter was generous enough to give me which goes along the lines of your official Creed sample. I've bought/sold/waited for YEARS for a good/great bottle of Silver Mountain Water, and eventually got it...So, with this in mind, I don't mind waiting for a good bottle/decant of Aventus, because when it's from a good bottle, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I agree with you. I have a very small decant that a basenoter was generous enough to give me which goes along the lines of your official Creed sample. I've bought/sold/waited for YEARS for a good/great bottle of Silver Mountain Water, and eventually got it...So, with this in mind, I don't mind waiting for a good bottle/decant of Aventus, because when it's from a good bottle, it's awesome.
    So it's really worth all that hastle?
    Time to musk up.

Also, just my 2 cents, but I was in on an Aventus split some time ago (not from Kron), and had a similar reaction. Once I gave it some time, I eventually got much more of the fruit (and a little less of the ash). Not as good as my other decant, but better.

I was part of the first split from Kron and the fragrance is stunning. Amazed to hear about such crazy batch variations from Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    Obviously, I didn't look for that bottle of SMW every day; I actually kind of gave up for a period of 6-7 months, etc. I also was able to return or sell all of the bottles that I didn't like...But with knowing how much I personally loved that particular fragrance, (one of my favorite fragrances of all time) then yes, it was and is worth it.

Wore this from my sample today after i last tried it six months ago and i concluded that, while it is probably from a good batch because it's strong fruity without any smokiness, it isn't anything special. I can see the appeal it can have but it's not to my tastes.

I find MI and Aventus quite similar, it must be the ashy note that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    For Aventus? Considering what you COULD get for the same price, honestly I don't think so. And I'm only going off of when I've worn and smelled the "good batches". I can't imagine finding much $280 value in the "off" ones (or the "good ones" for that matter).

I have decants from two different batches and a 75ml bottle from another... The bottle is amazing and both decants are pretty much right on par. Either I've just gotten lucky, or my nose can't tell the difference. Either way, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I just did get a bottle of Aventus. I certainly don't think it was the heat that cause the ash scent you're smelling. It's actually the fragrance.
    Be careful. You'll soon be declared "a hater" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Tried a decant of Aventus -- and smelled ashy, smoky, tarry pineapple. Tried another little decant -- and smelled ashy, smoky, tarry pineapple. Are there good batches out there? Who knows? I, for one, am not going to play Russian roulette with my $200.00
    That's insensitive.

Young Erwin needs new cars, many of them, and unless he sells $3-worth one star hotel room-sprays for $300, he might not get the latest Ferrari.

How can you be so heartless?

The weird thing is if you smell the good batches straight from they flacon they emit a very sugary sweet alcohol smell
    Those are the good ones, then! Sweet, indeed.

Hey Mazel-troll is back!
    -

You can't have a Creed thread without the resident troll. It must be in the FAQ somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    hey mazel-troll is back!
    MT must be an ex employee or like me has purchased too many bottles of Aventus to find a good batch!
    Last edited by drchipinski; 23rd July 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Say Kron is the Pure White split still open ? And will you be doing or have you heard of another Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle split going on ? Thank you