Code of Conduct

Thread: Balafre

Default Balafre

Can those of you who are lucky enough to have smelled this let alone own a bottle please share some info on Balafre?

It's one of those mysteries that I have only heard of in hushed voiced in dark corners of the collognisseur society, never able to catch a glimpse of it.

A bottle has appeared on the bay and 3 days left already reached more than 300 .

What IS this?
    Smellin good

Default Re: Balafre

I have a large bottle of this in my collection and its one of my all time favorites. I used this as my wedding scent a long time ago. Many years after it disappeared, I was able to purchase a limited re-edition from the L'institut Lancome in Paris. I'm not very good on explaining nuances of scents. If you are in the dark about it, it is: " An aromatic masculine edt (85%) with notes of lemon, bergamot, cedar, oak moss, sandalwood, tobacco, vetiver and musk."

I have just purchased a small bottle of this famed scent. I'm looking forward to receiving it and will post to you all when I've had a chance to wear it. I've had Sagamore now for a week and it's a great fragrance. For those of you who posted that it's similar to or a cross between Tiffany for Men and Pour Monsieur by Chanel I agree. This is a smooth and a true scent for a gentlemen. Wonderful- I'm waiting as patiently as I can for Balafre!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your purchase!

Wasn't there talk of a Balafre reissue forthcoming? Any news on that?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Ditto......

it may have already happened . . . . their Paris location has been retailing an 'updated' version for about 6 months

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    it may have already happened . . . . their Paris location has been retailing an 'updated' version for about 6 months
    Any reviews yet?

Theres a photo of the re-issue flacon/packaging, (together with a review) on the german perfume website parfumo.de.
    The review is written in german.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I purchased a bottle that came from Lancome Paris about 3 months ago. I like Balafre, but like newer issue Guerlain Derby, it just seems underpowered and hence a disappointment for me from that standpoint.

Martin

From the article it says "Balafre makes a comeback from the tumultous end of the 1960s with a geranium and galbanum accord." Was this accord there before or is this part of a reformulation?

AromiErotici

The original had "green note" and "geranium" in the top and heart accords. It was a chypre that was woody with spice.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Theres a photo of the re-issue flacon/packaging, (together with a review) on the german perfume website parfumo.de.
    If this is the page you are talking about:
    http://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Lancom...BenutzerBilder

then the review is actually for the vintage stuff, even though the picture is for the newer (apparently reformulated) scent.

The reviewer gives a very good review, saying it is complex (he understands it as a chypre but it clearly doesn't fit in one fragrance category), and at one of the stages it reminds him of the cedar note of Terre d'Hermes (but more complex of course, and with leather, for example).

But alas, he doesn't tell us about the new version!

I don't have this any more so I'm going on memory here.. I would classify this as a smooth elegant fougere rather than chypre. If you like soft and subtle green frags I would def. recommend Balafre reissue. If you're looking for a longevity/sillage powerhouse you might be disappointed though. It projects a restrained elegance which is why I like it. I have never smelled the original Balafre.

http://whatmenshouldsmelllike.com/20...ncome-balafre/

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase!
    Thanks Hednic,

I never would have know of this fragrance if not for you!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Any reviews yet?
    I'll take a shot at it, with the understanding that I've never smelt the original formula so it can't be considered a comparison of the benchmark (had an offer in on a vintage bottle located in europe but never received answers to some questions I posed so I backed off) + the fact that I've sorta been on the fence about it. This version was purchased + 6 months ago from the Paris boutique and is absolutely their updated formula.

For me, the immediate top notes are definitely a light cypress / heavier cedar mix, neroli & lavender with some sort of 'green' thrown in for good measure I suppose & a little more cedar. The only problem for me is - what green notes ? They're there but I for one can't seem to break them out. Knowing what they are isn't a big deal because they're fairly decent and 'spreadout' or breakdown the cedar a bit and work well for my assumption since cedar alone can take over and dominate some. On my skin, think picking up a broken cedar branch still wet with sap instead of an older tree which has dried out some.

The midddles transition into carnation with geranium mixing in there (heavier carnation)& what seems to be yet more cedar which is a little drier this time. Some pine begins to show up & it gets pretty dry at that point and actually stays fairly linear from there on eventhough oakmoss peeks around the corner from down low.

I've seen note lists indicating the base contains leather, amber & vetyver but IF they are hanging around at that time, they're sub roles. That isn't a bad thing, just don't expect to be wowed by any of the three - they bring it subtly.

For me, this one says white shirt & wool sport jacket for some reason OR fully suited & tied up. Don't count full on formal out either, because you can take it there easily. It's just the frags 'dryness' speaks wool to me. White shirt kinda mandatory.

It surely DOESN'T jive with the lighter, sweeter, fruity juice a good number of the 'new' stuff presents. You'll likely be the ONLY one in the place wearing it (regardless of where that place is) and obviously one who's gonna step away from the pack to watch the lemmings run. It doesn't necessarily mean you've abandoned the mass groove, you've just decided that you'll walk down a slightly different road today just to see what's there and it works.
    Last edited by SoGent; 20th November 2011 at 02:47 PM.

AromiErotici

Nice review SoGent. Thank you.

The vetiver in Balafre is of the soapy variety, the kind you'll find in Corinto's Vetiver, for example. Only treemoss is listed among ingredients, no oakmoss if I remember correctly.

I bought a re-edition bottle in 2009; as you can see, mine is 100ml.

http://www.basenotes.net/vbimages/attach/jpg.gif

http://www.basenotes.net/vbimages/attach/jpg.gif

The two bottles I saw on ebay this year were both 75ml and different bottles/boxes. Unfortunately I didn't save any picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Outerlands View Post
    I bought a re-edition bottle in 2009; as you can see, mine is 100ml.
    Did you get yours at the L'Institut Lancome in Paris at 29, RUE DU FAUBOURG SAINT-HONOR? This looks very similar to the one I
    bought in 2004 when it was first re-released with Sagamore for a limited time.

No, Hednic, mine came from German Ebay; and I didn't know Sagamore had been re-released too at the same time.
    Two weeks ago I saw, again on German Ebay, a lady selling one bottle of the Sagamore twin of my Balafre. I got crazy, lol, but unfortunately she didn't want to send to my country.

Just making it clear, I don't know the year of my Balafre; I just bought it in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    If anyone is interested, here is the English version of the parfumo page: http://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/Lancome/Balafre

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    If anyone is interested, here is the English version of the parfumo page: http://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/Lancome/Balafre
    This is the same bottle (100ml) of which I picked up two in Paris in the mid 90s at the L'Institut Lancome in Paris when it was re-released for a 6-month limited availability.

I remember this one well from 80's, i had it, and it was one of my few favourites back then. It's a great, great fragrance, a bit soapy, clean, woody, lemony (not too much). I can't afford (and would not even if i could) the insane prices that are asked for this discontinued fragrance. But i say again: it's just great!
    Last edited by df91; 23rd November 2014 at 08:35 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

This is now available from Selfridges.com at 115 for 75ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    This is now available from Selfridges.com at 115 for 75ml.
    Does some kind, generous soul in the UK want to buy some of these to ship to the US?

Does some kind, generous soul in the UK want to buy some of these to ship to the US?
    Harrods are stocking it too (including online), they do international deliveries if you can't find it locally.

i've heard that new edition of Balafre available in UAE, Dubai for ~ $150

How does the current formulation of Balafre compare to the original version? I think there was a 'Brut' version and a 'Verte' version - is the current one the Verte version?

How does the current formulation of Balafre compare to the original version? I think there was a 'Brut' version and a 'Verte' version - is the current one the Verte version?
    A thread from 2005 suggests not:

'I think Lancome renamed the original Balafre 'Balafre Brun' when they introduced Balafre Vert.
    I have all three, and I don't really notice a difference between Balafre and Balafre Brun;
    Balafre Vert is something else'.

I've only smelled the reissue so can't comment on differences from the vintage. It is very citrusy (lemon) up top though, so that may not age too well, although the smooth green/leather drydown may be relatively unaffected.

I just purchased another bottle from the Lancome website. It says parfum spray, but the email I received says EDT. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I can't speak with certainty to the one that's being sold now as all my full bottles are vintage and all are EDT spray. I personally have never know this to come in a concentration other than EDT and I have been wearing it since the 60s. I'm inclined to believe that what's being offered today is also EDT, but I am not sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you sir Hednic. I also believe it is EDT and was confused when their website said parfum spray. Thanks a lot!

Quick question on Balafre. How does the one currently offered differ from vintage Balafre pour Homme?

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    Quick question on Balafre. How does the one currently offered differ from vintage Balafre pour Homme?
    There's some info here in this old Huddler thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/376258
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

There's some info here in this old Huddler thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/376258
    Hednic, I appreciate your assistance. Seems everyone is asking, but no one has done a direct comparison of the two. Did you ever get to smell the re-issue to compare it to your vintage bottle? Thanks.

Hednic, I appreciate your assistance. Seems everyone is asking, but no one has done a direct comparison of the two. Did you ever get to smell the re-issue to compare it to your vintage bottle? Thanks.
    The only one I have ever compared the 60's one to directly was the one that the L'Institut Lanome came out with about 14 years ago which was only available in their Paris boutique for a limited time of 6 months in a special bottle which was an exact copy of the original formula. The bottle looked like this:

The newest I haven't sorry. Hopefully someone else can give you more precise info on the difference between the 60s and the current.
    Last edited by hednic; 1st September 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Hednic, thanks for the response. Balafre sounds like an intriguing fragrance.

It just isn't going to compare..... we will all get our hopes up and have them dashed because it will have to conform now. I'm going to London soon and need to smell it to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    It just isn't going to compare..... we will all get our hopes up and have them dashed because it will have to conform now. I'm going to London soon and need to smell it to see.
    Here's the rub. Do I pay up for a vintage bottle and run the risk of the top notes (over the years) losing their punch, or do I buy the new version with the possible re-formulation issues? Decisions, decisions..........

The eternal wrangle....

I'm going there in a weeks time and will try and smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    The eternal wrangle....

I'm going there in a weeks time and will try and smell it.
    Very kind of you. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Here's the rub. Do I pay up for a vintage bottle and run the risk of the top notes (over the years) losing their punch, or do I buy the new version with the possible re-formulation issues? Decisions, decisions..........
    Do you happen to know how the vintage bottle that you are contemplating buying has been kept? Is the seller trustworthy and how long has he had the bottle?

Do you happen to know how the vintage bottle that you are contemplating buying has been kept? Is the seller trustworthy and how long has he had the bottle?
    Don't know the seller personally. As most say, "stored in a cool, dark place". Heavier fragrances I am more willing to take a chance. My understanding is that Balafre has a wonderful opening so I am a bit more cautious since the opening is more prone to damage over time.

Take a risk and get the vintage, I always do.

Don't know the seller personally. As most say, "stored in a cool, dark place". Heavier fragrances I am more willing to take a chance..
    I understand your dilemma. Better to be safe than sorry.

This is just a true gem. I read all the notes yet you can't depict them really. Utterly gorgeous and classy. I could bathe in this. Many thanks to Hednic for without him touting how wonderful it is, I would have never stopped to sniff when I got lucky and spotted it at a Neimans. It's a lush and smooth uplifting green that sparkles and serves as a shroud that looms around something totally amazing in the core. It can never do no wrong and I'll always have it!
    Last edited by Scentologist; 2nd September 2014 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This is just a true gem. I read all the notes yet you can't depict them really. Utterly gorgeous and classy. I could bathe in this. Many thanks to Hednic for without him touting how wonderful it is, I would have never stopped to sniff when I got lucky and spotted it at a Neimans.
    You're most welcome. Just glad you're happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Thank you sir Hednic. I also believe it is EDT and was confused when their website said parfum spray. Thanks a lot!
    Harrods website says EDP, Selfridges say EDT.........!

I have a new bottle. Off the top of my head I thought it was an EDP, but I'll check when I get home.

I will check too because I've just put it as a split. Better the P presumably but not always.

Mine's labelled EdT on box and bottle.

Thank you. You saved me the look.