Code of Conduct

Default What's your favorite citrus cologne and why?

Hey guys!

This is the first thread I've actually started since becoming a basenoter so here it goes.

I'm a novice perfumer (just a learner and observer right now) and absolutely love classic, citrus colognes. A few months ago I was able to get my hands on pure Citron oil and it's quickly become one of my favorite citrus essences, so I've been playing around with it a lot and have thought about making a simple cologne for myself.

So here is the question for you guys:

I was wondering what is your favorite citrus cologne and why.

PS: It doesn't have to be classic but citrus centered.

Thanks guys! I feel lucky to be part of this amazing website.
    Eliam Puente, Novice Perfumer

Default Re: What's your favorite citrus cologne and why?

Monsieur Balmain

First off, welcome! I get a fair bit of citrus from Live Jazz, but, it also has a lot of mint and herbs. I always liked Clinique Happy for men as a straight up citrus. Hermes makes quite a few good citrus centric frags that are also very good, especially Terre D'Hermes.

Eau d'Hermes and and Mouchoir de Monsieur.

The Chanel Exclusifs is pretty darn good too, but lasts about a nano second. And for much ££££. No fair.

Greetings and welcome to Basenotes;

My favorite citrus is Rocas - Moustache Concentree. It is a classic-styled edt by Edmond Roundnitska. It's very familiar to Eau Sauvage (also made by him), just more "dirty" or "old-fashioned" IMO. It's very rich and complex for a citrus.

Regards,

...NDN-01!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome. Hednic - I've never tried Monsieur Balmain but the notes sound very refreshing so I think I'll explore it a bit more. Slvrbckgorilla - I use to actually wear Terre d'Hermes and really liked it though it is much woodier. NDN-01 - I've never tried Moustache but I'm a sucker for classic, powdery, animalic scents to I'm definitely going to sample this one.

Thanks again for the speedy replies. I hope to hear more from you and other as well.

welcome Puente...

I just recently bought Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino, and to me it's fantastic, bright, fresh, citrus goodness!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte <<-- classic cologne
    Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse <<-- Citrus, floral and ambergris
    Varvatos Artisan <<-- Musky orange w/ hint of woods
    Xerjoff Kobe <<-- My favorite, but wouldn't consider paying $300 for 50 mL right now

Armani Eau pour Homme - simple but elegant sheer citrus, no frills, just style

Thumbs up Re: What's your favorite citrus cologne and why?

Annick Goutal's Hadrien Absolu and Eau d' Hadrien, just because i love it
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I know it's not exactly a "fan favorite" among members of this site, but for me it'd have to be Hugo by Hugo Boss for sentimental reasons if nothing else. This was the first cologne I purchased for myself over a decade ago after several repeated trips to Perfumania to sample pretty much everything and anything they had in stock. This was the one that stood out to me as the one to get above all others. Wore it on a first date with a girl I really liked, she loved it and that right there really kick started my interest in fragrance. Having purchased dozens of different fragrances since then, I don't wear it as often as I used to as I pretty much wore it nonstop throughout my last few years of high school, but every time I wear it I'm reminded of that time

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Annick Goutal's Hadrien Absolu and Eau d' Hadrien, just because i love it
    +1 with eau de sud as well
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

Not in any particular order:
    Selection Verte
    Citrus Bigarrade
    Eau de Guerlain
    Guerlain Imperiale
    Villoresi Acqua di Colonia
    Nicolai Cedrat Intense

Welcome to BN
    Martin

+Eau d'Hermes, for its edginess.

Citrus Bigarrade

I've tested many of the Creed colognes and it is a hit or miss with me. Some have too much of that synthetic ambergris note that I am not very fond of though I absolutely love real ambergris (I have a few chunks and tinctures at home and in small doses it give citrus blends an awesome radiance). I did however, like Bois de Cedrat (very natural smelling). I'll give Citrus Bigarade, Selection Vert, and Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino a try. This is helping out a lot gentlemen. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Basenotes Institution

That's easy. Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain. Why? It has equal parts of fresh, uplifting citrus + dry, pungent herbs - both evoking a refreshing, Mediterranean sort of vibe with tenacity, complexity and a unique crispness.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Don't neglect to try Acqua di Parma Colonia and/or its "offspring": Assoluta, Intensa and Essenza. They are well worth your consideration among the citrus-based fragrances.

I am not really a fan of citrus scents. However, to the ones I have smelled, I must say I was really impressed with Bergamote 22 by Le Labo. It's very realistic orange rind, very bright, very uplifting.

I haven't tried Bergamot 22 volley2 so it will be on my list of tryouts. Cologne Connoisseur - I've tried all of the Acqua di Parma Colonias - very lovely indeed though I'd say I still like the original Colonia more that the offsprings. Mikeperez23 - I think all of the classic Eau de Colognes from Guerlain are very nice because they seem so natural.

Here is a less familiar one that I bought recently: Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez. The opening is a very bright lemon/lemon peel. It quickly dries down to a very low-key skin scent. Good for multiple applications throughout the day. It is cheap, easy to wear, refreshing on a hot day, and I heard it is all natural (really?). Anyway, I like it!

Personal faves (like others here):

Bergamote (The Different Company)
    Colonia (Acqua di Parma)
    Eau de Guerlain & Eau de Cologne Imperiale & Eau de Cedrats (Guerlain)

These all have a clarity and sense of life that I like. In the early 80s I used to drive from Auckland a few hours north to a place called Kerikeri, which is the centre of citrus orchards in New Zealand. Some friends had an organic orchard growing tangelos, mandarins, oranges, lemons, grapefruit and other good stuff. A mile or so before you got into Kerikeri the air takes on an amazing orange flower scent at the right time of year, and of course once you are in the orchard the air is permanently suffused with this citrus / floral mix. AdP Colonia probably comes closest to my ideal for this, but TDC Bergamote is pretty amazing and as well as wearing it in summer it can also do double duty as possibly the priciest air freshener in the world
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 22nd July 2011 at 07:22 AM.

Bowling Green <3

If we're talking scents which are totally dominated by strong citrus ?

1. Selection Verte - the greatest Citrus scent and the greatest greem scent simultaneously.
    2. Hermes D'Orange Verte - both the EDC and EDT are incredibly awesome scents
    3. Maitre Pour Le Jeune - the longest lastingm highest quality of all the classic EDC style scents
    4. Nicolai Balle De Match - best grapefruit scent out there
    5. Truefitt West Indian Limes - fun, sweet, juicy Lime scent
    6. Creed Citrus Bigarrade - zero longevity, but superb quality
    7. Guerlain Imperiale - superb tart Lime EDC
    8. Nicolai Cologne Sologne - extremely unique and superb quality EDC
    9. Acqua Di Parma Colonia - a bit old school, but incredibly appealing
    10. Penhaligon's Eau De Cologne - tart, brisk citruses, and a unique drydown
    11. Nicolai Cedrat EDC - another unique citrus scent, bad longvity but soooo good.
    12. Creed Bois De Cedrat - Citron and woods in perfect harmony
    13. Frederic Malle Cologne Bigarade - didn't like the concentrated version, but love the EDC
    14. Guerlain Eau De Guerlain - Natural Citrus and aromatic herbs, delicious
    15. Maitre Fraiche Badiane - See above
    16. Creed Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse - great grapefruit and white floral scent
    17. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes - tart, zingy Lime and nothing else
    18. Dior Cologne Royale - super high quality EDC
    19. Fresh Hesperides - a surprisingly good pink grapefruit scent
    20. Roger & Gallet JMF Extra Vieille - holds it's own amongst high-end classic Citrus EDC's

All the rest of the citrus-prominent scents I love (MI, VIW, Cereus #4, OV, Sisley Campagne) I think are either too fruity, too floral, too green, or too aqautic to be listed here, given the specificity of OP's request.

Chanel Eau De Cologne (classic yet slightly "different" from all the other eau de colognes)
    Bigarade Concentree (sort of "finished" version of TDH)
    Cologne Bigarade ("that's how we do it" at Malle)
    Eau de Guarlain (archetipal cologne)
    Profumum Aqua Viva (long lasting and tremendously realistic citruses)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport because of the blast of pure lemon at the beginning, which becomes a pleasant and clean "out of the shower" warm citrus smell then.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Sound Scents

Acqua di Parma Colonia. It just exudes class, IMO.

Honorable mentions go to Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte, Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes and the sadly discontinued Crown Imperial.
    Last edited by drseid; 23rd July 2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

In no particular order :

Concentre d'Orange Verte
    Douro
    Cravache - lovely citric opening then herbaceous dry down
    Bigarade concentre

for swap/sale:

Acqua di Parma Colonia. -In a own league..

From my collection: Terre d'Hermes - for the dirty orange vibe, Allure Homme Sport - great for anytime, even the gym, Issey Summer 2009 - a unique twist. And I need to try Colonia and Bergamote 22.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 23rd July 2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Eau Savage by Dior in the black bottle (extreme perhaps ?) but like all the other winners it is hard to find.

Blog Entries

8. Nicolai Cologne Sologne - extremely unique and superb quality EDC
    This one sounded interesting and a quick search on it for reviews revealed an even more encouraging description. The problem is that it is not avaiable in the usual decants I prefer for something I've not smelled. The Perfumed Court and Posh Peasant do not have it. So availability might be a limitation for this suggestion...

Guerlain eau Imperiale, Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Parfums d'Empire Iskander
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Gendarme Edp-smells like you Just out of the shower and is elegant at the same time. There's something In it that just makes you feel great

Blog Entries

Nina Ricci Signoricci - a citrus, but not overwhelmingly so, with sillage and lasting power.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Allure Homme Sport - Citrus and woods.

M7 Fresh - One of the longest lasting orange fragrances I've tried.

Concentre Orange d' Verte Hermes - Very nice orange note, but doesn't last that long.

Original Vetiver Creed - One of the best citrus and green fragrances avaliable.

Pour Monsieur by Chanel (the original).....beautiful citrus notes that develop further as the middle and base notes come through. This still remains one of my favourite Chanel fragrances. It seems to work with my body chemistry.
    Essenza di Zegna by Ermenigildo Zegna......a bit more tart citrus opening that lingers as the other notes come through.

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. This past weekend I sniffed a few of the Creed fragrances suggested: Green Irish Tweed, Selection Vert, Imperial Millesime, and a few others. Surprisingly my favorite of the three mentioned was actually Selection Vert. Your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks again!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I say go 'Italian' when it comes to citrus-dominant scents; the use of aromatic herbs go a long way in enhancing citruses' short-lived profiles. Some of my favorites:

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Acqua Santa by La Via Del Profumo
    Nio by Xerjoff
    Bergamotto Calabro by I Profumi di Firenze

Bigarade Concentree Frederic Malle Editions , lush orange peel zesty fresh , not bad longevity

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose Hermes , Grapefruit a go go , piss poor Longevity but great while it lasts

More votes for:

AdP colonia
    Villoresi acqua di colonia
    Eau de Guerlain

Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Concentré d'Orange Verte +1 - Allure Homme Edition Blanche +1
    I also really enjoy Farina Gegenüber's original EdC from 1714 - the cologne that started it all and defined the genre. Interesting for historical reasons for the way it broke with the heavy and cloying scents of former times, but also a very nice, modern, and wearable scent in itself today even without the historical machinery surrounding it. Light, floral, citrusy - a baroque Eau Sauvage...

My collection is dominated by these because I love clean, unisex fragrances.
    Clinique Happy for Men-Cheaper than other designer fragrances available to me, even though it is not a projection beast, the citrus notes in it are blended well. A good substitute for ADG, which comes off as sour on my skin sometimes
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche-Starfruit and lemon, lasts awhile on clothing
    D&G Light Blue-Both the men/women's version are fruity and fresh, very unisex, and safe.
    BBW's Citron-Really affordable and smells good. I think its 30-40 dollars for a 100ml. Don't own it, but for the price it's very good.
    Mugler's Cologne-A blast of citrus and soapyness.

My Absolute Favorites:
    L'eau D'Issey-Long lasting, safe, clean.
    Allure Sport and EB-Creamy citrus scents that last!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I say go 'Italian' when it comes to citrus-dominant scents; the use of aromatic herbs go a long way in enhancing citruses' short-lived profiles. Some of my favorites:

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Acqua Santa by La Via Del Profumo
    Nio by Xerjoff
    Bergamotto Calabro by I Profumi di Firenze
    Interesting comment. Do you find that these "italian" scents are sweeter than other citrus blends ? I am highly attracted to citrus scents but have major longevity issues with them. I've come to the conclusion that I need a fougere fragrance with enough
    longevity (minus harsh oriental smells) that projects enough of a citrus aroma.

Green woodsy floral seems to be my alternative these days providing me with more longevity.

Loewe por homme was interesting on me but didn't have the best longevity.

I was praying that Moschino Uomo was my scent...it could have been but it just wasn't potent enough on me.

Nio by Xerjoff because it truly smells like and transports me to and italian orchard Royal Water by Creedbecause it's wearable in the heat like any other citrus but has a sharp awakeness to it that separates it from other laid back citruses

Selection Verte

Blog Entries

If Mugler Cologne counts as citrus it's cause it lasts eternity and smells amazing.

Terre D'Hermes because it isn't synthetic and headache causing like most citrusy openings. Plus the entire fragrance is a masterpiece by Elena

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta .

Creed Bois de Cedrat - best lemon top note there is. terrible longevity

Acqua di Parma Colonia - best all around citrus

Hermes d'Orange Verte - second best all around citrus