Code of Conduct

Default Kouros, A*Men, and other complex frags!

Alright, Kouros was my first true scent, and after a few days I enjoyed it quite a bit. It might be the Indian cooking i've grew up with years, but I enjoy the spices in Kouros. No Toiletry smell, just clean, fresh, floral smell that makes me feel at home.

I ended up buying A*Men, and it seems just like Kouros, it's the crazy topnotes that gets to people. You might think "What? Comparing Kouros and A*Men? They're nothing alike!". In my mind though, they are. They both open up with haymakers to the schnoz, but cool down to something wonderful. They're both very complex as well. Conservative application is key, in my opinion, for scents like these.

Before I got into scents, I didn't want something overpowering, but now I'm quite the opposite. Many of the light scents aren't very complex, don't project, or have much sillage or longevity. I'd rather prefer something that will do the job with one spritz, than attacking myself with 6 sprays, and then those be gone in an hour.

However, I did not enjoy Dior. It just smelled like gasoline and sugar to me all the way, topnotes to bottom notes. Absolutely nothing how it's described here. Although I suspect that had something to do with reformulations i've been reading about lately.

So! I've some questions, what are some other great, complex scents like these?

Also, what are the different "Types" of fragrances, such as gourmand, vetiver, etc. And could someone give me examples of such scents to give me a good idea? Like I'm guessing Unforgivable is an aquatic, Kouros a vetiver, and A*Men for sure a gourmand.

Scents I was looking into are Bvlgari Black and Body Kouros. How do these fair up? Great stuff from what I've read, seen, and heard. on BN, and Marc/robes08 on youtube.

I'm absolutely obsessed with this fragrance shit. I kept sniffing my arm all day while wearing A*Men, I think my mom was definitely creeped out :P. I've always loved smells for some reason.

Default Re: Kouros, A*Men, and other complex frags!

bump?

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    You might think "What? Comparing Kouros and A*Men? They're nothing alike!"
    And you would be right. IMO I see no similarity, although they are both great scents.

the dreamer-versace is known to have a harsh opening, but i personally always end up ignoring the top notes after smelling them for a while, for example i never smell the harsh opening in a men and kouros anymore. But thats probably just my nose. I like body kouros, it has a nice honeyed vanilla incense smell to it, but compared to kouros, i'll take kouros. Its strong and smells quite delicious in my opinion, but there's nothing complex about it.

consider giving egoiste a try, it is really complex and quite a beautiful fragrance, also santos de cartier, davidoff-zino, aramis havana.

BB and Body Kouros are not very challenging to wear frankly. A*Men and Kouros will annoy some people. BB and BK are not so challenging. Good solid scents.

I think I've found my 3 absolute must try scents then. Bvlgari Black, Body Kouros, and The Dreamer. All of them I've seen so many times recommended to me in threads, i MUST try them now . OH! Actually Tobacco Vanille as well! So that's 4.

For something that will do the job with one spritz try Lapidus pour homme.

Maybe you should give Muscs Koublai Khan a try.

Le Male
    Joop
    Silver Scent
    Tobacco Vanille
    Black Orchid
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Egoiste
    Antaeus
    1 Million
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Poison

Thats the nuclear arsenal

if A*Men is complex, which designer frag is simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    if A*Men is complex, which designer frag is simple?
    RL, HB, Lacoste, Armani

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    Also, what are the different "Types" of fragrances, such as gourmand, vetiver, etc. And could someone give me examples of such scents to give me a good idea? Like I'm guessing Unforgivable is an aquatic, Kouros a vetiver, and A*Men for sure a gourmand.
    Kouros is more in the aromatic fougere department, but it's hardly typical of the genre.

Play with this for a while!

http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.com/...agrance-wheel/