Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Are any fragrances considered "hazardous"?

Was just on wikipedia for A & F's Fierce, and apparently it can cause respiratory issues? More importantly than those lungs no one cares about...damage to male sex organs?!!?

So this caught my attention. My mom says I'm probably going to get sick sniffing my arm and shirt all day. Never SERIOUSLY considered it to be hazardous in any way. I don't wear Fierce, but I'm asking this for ANY fragrance.

Default Re: Are any fragrances considered "hazardous"?

I had a bad reaction to Krizia Uomo and I know people who have had similar to reactions to other frags, so this is what I'd worry about, not whether a frag might do something to you 50 years from now. If that's your concern, you may have been born in the wrong century because there is so much "synthetic" stuff in the air, water, ground, building material, etc. that worrying about it without having any specific information will just drive you crazy !

Grey flannel is by me....lol

This may be a serious problem, considering to give up frags because they might be hazardous to health, a totally horrific scenario

Maybe your mother has preconceived notions about fragrances in general? Personally, I'd prefer to enjoy life rather than becoming a hypochondriac.

You could be sniffing far worse things.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

My swap list

It is very easy in this day and age to find some "expert" that will have documentation and studies that prove something to be dangerous. A hefty job has been placed on the shoulders of consumers as the technological age has advanced, and that is we now have to sift through information available and separate fact from fiction. Remember, Wikipedia is NOT considered a legitimate source of information. That said, if there were any legitimate correlations between fragrances and illnesses the public outcry would be much louder and governing bodies would be doing more to correct it. Aside from to my poor wallet, I don't believe fragrances have any detrimental effects.
    Last edited by slvrbckgorilla; 22nd July 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Grey flannel is by me....lol
    I agree

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another for Grey Flannel

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    Was just on wikipedia for A & F's Fierce, and apparently it can cause respiratory issues? More importantly than those lungs no one cares about...damage to male sex organs?!!?
    seriously?

...NDN-01!!!

Angry Side Effects .................................................. .....................................

I heard that fragrances have a lot of side effects as:respiratory system problems, brain and Sex Organs damage WTF!!
    Also some people told me that if you put it on your skin it cause allergy,change in the color of skin ...etc
    Say your opinion about it [Do you beleive in that or not??!]

Default Re: Side Effects .................................................. ................................

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/280...hazardous-quot

Per my response on the thread in the link that was also started today, I do not believe it. Aside from allergies, I do not believe that fragrances pose any harm. The people on this website have more experience than imaginable and worn fragrances for an incredible amount of collective time. They would be much more up in arms if there were a demonstrated connection between fragrances and ailments.

Default Re: Side Effects .................................................. ................................

Total BS!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Ridiculous.

Thank goodness, even if these side effects hypothetically existed, neither me nor my acquaintances were affected by it

It won't be long before we get warnings about breathing!!

Maybe they'll impose fragrance licenses, to permit you to wear them. Maybe the powers that be, who spout all this sort of bullshit, will start supplying everyone with zorbs for us to get about in, or bubble wrap suits and gas masks!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Unfortunately its true, This guy used too much Le Male and look what happened...

I would be much more concerned about the things that you ingest into your body (chemical additives, preservatives, pesticides, etc) than the things that you apply to the outside of your body (soap, shampoo, fragrance, etc).

One side effect is that lemon scents can help people with depression (after their sexual organs fell off due to spritzing too much Grey Flannel for example).

Power Where You Need It

BS!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

One person had one allergic reaction (a mild one mind you...), now everyone has to suffer. Yay.

Side Effects are as follows :

Loss of free time
    Loss of money
    Sore eyes ( due to spending time researching on internet and reading threads on BNs)
    Pessimism ( in regards to changing formula's...etc)
    Becomming jaded
    Cynicism
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Other than allergies, I doubt fragrance has any major effects, at least compared to food, polluted air and public toilets.

Though Surfacing has mentioned a few non-physical side effects all of which I can confirm.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Loss of free time
    Loss of money
    Sore eyes ( due to spending time researching on internet and reading threads on BNs)
    Becomming jaded
    Cynicism
    This is brilliant!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

/sigh

Non immunologists listening to non immunologists.

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Loss of free time
    Loss of money

Becomming jaded
    Cynicism
    ^---------- This.

The spanish football national team's goolkeeper Canisares dropped after shaving a bottle of after shave, it broke, the broken glass hurt his leg so severely he had to give his place to Iker Casillas - the story of a break of a prosperous sport career.

So, after shaves might have side effects, be careful.

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Idiosyncratic reactions to just about any ingredient in a fragrance may, but on the other hand, may not cause a susceptible person problems.

If the A & F Fierce really causes respiratory issues in general then I pity the poor salesforce in their stores!

"..report states that 11 ingredients are health-hazardous: eight of which may call respiratory issues"

Note the words 'may call' (sic) a typo no doubt for 'may cause', 'may' being the operative word.

Entry in Wikipedia of such news needs rigorous reviewing of sources and even after such reviewing common sense needs to be applied to any results. I have seen much BS in some Wikipedia articles go unchallenged and thus become 'fact' for many unwary readers.
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd July 2011 at 04:18 PM.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo

That´s true!

Half a bottle of any scent and this will happen to you yea:

....... Hieronymus Bosch
    Last edited by easyfish; 22nd July 2011 at 05:50 PM.