Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was your 1ST bottle of cologne that you ever own? When did you purchase it? Let's all share!!

What was your 1ST bottle of cologne that you ever own? When did you purchase it? Let's all share!!

For me it was:

π by Givechy

I bought this bottle back in 2000 and the only fragrance that I wore for nearly 10 years! Crazy right?
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 23rd July 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammer

Default Re: What was your 1ST bottle of cologne that you ever own? When did you purchase it? Let's all share

Mine was Polo Crest, which is now discontinued. I bought it in the early nineties, when I was in high school. I found a decent substitute in Chevignon, which is close enough that it takes me back to those days.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What was your 1ST bottle of cologne that you ever own? When did you purchase it? Let's all share

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Mine was Polo Crest, which is now discontinued. I bought it in the early nineties, when I was in high school. I found a decent substitute in Chevignon, which is close enough that it takes me back to those days.
    Polo Crest was an early one of mine, too, although I was somewhat older. My first was Givenchy Gentleman. I think that my GF may have bought it for me - not sure if I remember.

But I may have bought Brut before that. Those two were my staples for years.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur

My first has to be " very sexy for him2 by Victoria secret " my ex gf gave me on bday

Mine was a frag that I cant remember the name of. What I do remember is that it cost me a weekends worth of work as a young lad. It was made by a company called 'Nine Flags' and it was a purple colour in a rounded bottle with a long neck and silver top. This was around 1971.

For me, it was not a purchase but a present: Salvadori Dali PH for my 14th birthday anniversary

First fragrance purchase: Adidas Classic/Classic Blue when I was about 15-16

The first bottle of cologne ever given to me was something called "Little Drummer Boy" that had a wooden drum cap with tiny drumsticks attached. Although the packaging tugged at the hearts of parents to buy it for their kids, the cologne itself was strong and unpleasant.

My first purchase of a bottle was Calvin Klein's original Calvin in the 1980s.

My first bottle was given to me, by my father, because he had bought a bottle of this after many years of using other fragrances, and he then found his tastes had changed and he didn't like it so much.

Ralph Lauren Polo.

It brought me out in a rash

Blog Entries

Depends on how you look at it.

When I was like 8,9 or around there my sister's boyfriend then husband abondoned an English Leather bottle at our home. This was the late 70's so you know it was still the classic E.L. I don't really recall wearing it but I did rub down my banana seat bike with that stuff, I thought it was the coolest thing to do with some great smelling stuff.

Oficially though my first cologne was'nt till the early 90's when I got myself a Davidoff mini set with the usual suspects-Zino, Cool Water and I've forgotten the rest.

I would'nt get back into the scent game until about two years ago.

Preferred Stock. I rocked this with pride in 1995.

Joop! Pour Homme.

While reading some threads on a forum, I saw a guy who said that that cologne brought him some lady attention therefore next day I went out in town and bought it.

That happened, in the summer, 2 years ago.

Versace Blue Jeans

Cacharel Pour Homme...it was 1981/1982.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The first bottle i ever bought was Chevignon lol. This was around 93/94 when i was about 9 years old.
    I had perfumes before that though, bought by my parents.
    A perfume i meaningfully bought was Blue Jeans by Versace. At the time, it was the Tuscan Leather.

for swap/sale:

Versace Blue Jeans

Dunhill Edition 1987

Crabtree & Evelyn Extrait of Mysore Sandalwood Early to mid 80s.

In the 70s I used to buy Mysore Sandalwood Essential Oil (or borrow my father's Brut & 4711).

In 1988, when I was 14, I bought Jazz by YSL and Cool Water by Davidoff, but I can't remember which was first. I think it might have been Jazz.

I'd been stealing my step-dad's Brut and Old spice up till that point...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I think it was Versace l'homme or Tenere by Paco. I cant recall which one came first.

Contradiction for Men Calvin Klein way back in 1999, I still have it, about 25mls left

Quote Originally Posted by humptydumpty View Post
    Contradiction for Men Calvin Klein way back in 1999, I still have it, about 25mls left

same here man....

My first proper fragrance that I brought for myself was Farenheit when it first came out in 1988 , I thought I was all very grown up going to buy it

My first bottle was Cerruti 1881 given to me as a gift by my parents while I was in highschool. The first bottle I bought myself was Dune on my first year of uni.

Cuba Gold, a gift from my uncle in my 14s. I love this stuff until now, and this explain my Love for Le Male today (my favorite of all time)

I am pretty sure it was Sport de Paco Rabanne. I bought around 1996, I believe, as I was 13 yo. I bought it because I was entering adolescence and suddenly some of the other boys started wearing fragrance. I liked this one at the store -- the grassy, zingy notes. A pretty good one for a first fragrance, I still think.

Activist from the Body Shop in 1998. Pretty good stuff (until the bottle broke in a friend's car).

Mine was Hugo by Hugo boss back in 1996 (i was 12yrs old). Bought it blind at duty free on the way back from a trip to Europe. I think I still have some left somewhere, needless to say I didn't like it that much.

Pierre Cardin. Can't even bare to smell the stuff now.

Blog Entries

I got Chanel Antaeus as a gift in 1981 and wore it for years. Looking back it seems like a funny choice for a 17 year old boy, but i loved it! I have to imagine it's affected my perfume sensibilities even today.
    jtd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Depends on how you look at it.

When I was like 8,9 or around there my sister's boyfriend then husband abondoned an English Leather bottle at our home. This was the late 70's so you know it was still the classic E.L. I don't really recall wearing it but I did rub down my banana seat bike with that stuff, I thought it was the coolest thing to do with some great smelling stuff.

Oficially though my first cologne was'nt till the early 90's when I got myself a Davidoff mini set with the usual suspects-Zino, Cool Water and I've forgotten the rest.

I would'nt get back into the scent game until about two years ago.
    OMG - banana seats and stingray handlebars! What a memory. I think that's a great idea for a kid bike - spraying it with cologne. That's even better than the laundry pin & playing cards-against-the-spokes "engine" we used.

My greatest kid bike mod was turning a huge sissy bar into a front fork extension, and thereby chopping my stingray so the front wheel was WAAAY out in front. The lever effect made the balance on wheelies incredible - almost anybody could ride a wheelie with it.

Mine was Burberry for Women, about six years ago. I just tested a few at the drugstore and came back with it, I actually really liked it at the time. But I didn't even wear it that often, I felt funny wearing fragrance. Luckily things change.

Basenotes Member

Great thread!

My first serious bottle was farenheight. I felt to grown up.

I'm ashamed to say back then as a kid I was that cologne guy- I would douse myself in it to get the attention in high school. Luckily a nice lady-friend gave me some much needed feedback about my six sprays being waaaay to much, lol.

Cheers

Vince

lol

Insignia for men, 1986 (age 10)
    LOST! in scent and music

Jade East in 1966

Azzaro pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme

1981 - 15 years old

Purchased the year it was released, 1976.
    - Expect the unexpected

Early in my high school years (in the 60s!) I wore the old-time English Leather--not a purchase, but birthday gifts and so on. Maybe that is why I still like leather scents. Then, the summer before my senior year, I went on a study trip to Europe. A classmate suggested that a bottle of Moustache would be a good souvenir, and it was! But I lost it somewhere along the line, in a move, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    Luckily a nice lady-friend gave me some much needed feedback about my six sprays being waaaay to much, lol.
    A lot of guys, unfortunately, believe that if one spray smells good then six sprays must smell great.

Well, I'm going back to the 70's here.....

Can't remember my first buy, but in those days "Brut" was all the rage. I also remember having Aramis, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage and possibly Chanel pour Monsieur.

Oh Happy Days!

Keep the discussion going, this is great!

Mine was a present, not a purchase. Ralph Lauren Polo, in 1997. Pretty sure my second was also a present, I don't actually recall the first one that I bought for myself! I actually recently bought another bottle of Polo in a sale, just to reminisce....!

I had great fun recalling my personal fragrance 'timeline' on this site!

1998 with Versace Dreamer. Wonderful fragrance! I do miss those days.

Jean Paul Gautier - Le Male

Sound Scents

Don't remember the exact year, but it had to be over 20 years ago when I bought my first scent, Polo (green).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thats a real nice first buy, mine was Eau Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    I got Chanel Antaeus as a gift in 1981 and wore it for years. Looking back it seems like a funny choice for a 17 year old boy, but i loved it! I have to imagine it's affected my perfume sensibilities even today.
    John aka Easykiller

Kouros by YSL

I got it when I was 13 for Christmas. It was something I asked for after smelling it on a guy in my local video shop.

This then started a chain reaction of getting fine fragrances.

My first "all by myself" fragrance purchase was Lagerfeld Photo, purchased at the local K Mart when I was about 14. Prior to that I had been dipping into bottles of Stetson, Canoe, and Old Spice that had been laying about the house. I distinctly recall the only compliment I got on Stetson was my biology teacher in high school. Good times!

I think it was Tabac Original and the yr was 1976

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I think it was Tabac Original and the yr was 1976
    ahhhh yes.... I remember Tabac Original...... I think I really liked that one - and it's still available today!!

Wonder if it smells as good now??

Joop homme-2003

Eau Sauvage here.

Such a fantastic fragrance- I must have bought it because it was what I always recalled my dad wearing.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

You guys are all way cooler than me. Although I stole some of my dad's Kouros my first purchase ever was Faberge Fusion. My second was Cerruti Image. My third I think was either Ghost Man or Armani He.

You can tell it was the 90s. Although Image isn't a bad scent if you like that kind of thing. The Armani I wore gallons of; I went through several bottles.

I'd like to smell Fusion again, because it would bring back memories, but it's impossible to find. From the BBC: Manufacturers of the perfume Fusion, Elida Faberge, also came under fire for linking their product with drugs.

A magazine advert said: "Oi! Where's My Fusion Wrap?", showing a piece of folded paper, similar to that used to hold amphetamine powder.

When unfolded the paper read: "Fusion. The only thing worth sniffing in a club", and contained white powder impregnated with the perfume.

Among the complaints received was one from the government's All-Party Parliamentary Group on Drugs Misuse.

The complaint was upheld.

I don't think I'll be spending time, effort or money actually looking for it, though. It didn't smell very good. Addiction Spice Fire body spray was probably the best smelling thing I wore at the time, aside from Image.

I was given 2 (at the same time) by my neighbour.
    These were Puma Aqua and Replay For Him.

First one I bought myself was Joop! Go.

Chanel Egoiste was my first bottle (got it as a present from my folks, but they knew I liked it). This was back in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What was your 1ST bottle of cologne that you ever own? When did you purchase it? Let's all share!!

For me it was:

π by Givechy

I bought this bottle back in 2000 and the only fragrance that I wore for nearly 10 years! Crazy right?
    I wore Pi the other day, for the first time in months!

I'm in my thirties so there wasn't much to choose from I think Canoe in the mid eightees or the old classic English Leather.

My first realization of "good" cologne was Polo Classic. I sprayed a friend's before hitting a party at the U of D (university of Delaware) and received copiuos amounts of compliments...ah to be young again.

Back in the 80s as a kid I would spray Paco Rabanne every morning trying to impress the girls at school until my father one day finally decided to just give me the bottle. Ah the 80s, what a great decade that was, and Paco Rabanne until this day still remains one of my favorite scents.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

saved up for weeks to pick up a small bottle of this

adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous