Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - reformulated?

My old bottle of PH is running out so I went to check prices in shops (UK) today and saw that the bottle and box have changed a little.

The bottle doesn't have a silver sticker anymore. Instead the name is embossed on the bottle. The box is not a plain, felt, navy blue but a marbled felt navy blue.

I tried a spray and it has definitely changed and for the worse. Much weaker. And straight away a different kind of citrus smell. I think I might have even smelt a cucumber note. And very short lived on my skin - the old one lingered for hours. It is very poor compared to the one I currently own.

Any opinions anyone?

Default Re: Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - reformulated?

Bottle was updated but not the scent . You should post some pictures of that bottle you may have a fake on your hands

This is the same conclusion I've reached. Unfortunately, its very hard to find a bottle that bears the old formula, even if it has a silver sticker. Apparently the formula change precedes the packaging/bottle change. I bought one with a label and and sold it 2-3wks later. Good luck finding a replacement, mate!
    Spring/Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme
    Kenzo Pour Homme (vintage)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage)
    D& G Masculine
    Christian Dior Dune
    Guerlain Homme (EDT)
    Bond No9 Riverside Drive

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

I didn't buy the new version thank goodness. I walked away from it to see how it performed. I still have about 20ml left from my old 75ml which I will just use sparingly from now on. All the other shops in my area have the new ones

I'm gonna have to check this one out myself. Consider it on my "to do" list.

This fragrance that drastically reformulated ? I'm gonna see for myself and report back to this thread ( it may be a week or so ). Pour Homme was once really common where I am, I was sick of it. Now, not so much, but still is highly popular due to loyal buyers and news ones alike.

And strangely, the reviews in the directory make no mention of big re-workings on this fragrance. And no cucumber note either.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've never noticed a cucumber note, but it is much weaker than it used to be, and its not nearly as rich. That is UNDENIABLE. I encourage you to check it out for yourself. Its a shadow of what it used to be...
    Spring/Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme
    Kenzo Pour Homme (vintage)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage)
    D& G Masculine
    Christian Dior Dune
    Guerlain Homme (EDT)
    Bond No9 Riverside Drive

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

I ordered a bottle through newegg, since i had a credit from a return i made. it shipped from a 3rd party vendor called fragrence-go.

i received it this morning in the mail and couldnt wait to put it on...its my favorite cologne. In the past couple years, i havent used it quite as much because of all the rest of my colognes, but i've been using it for 16 years.

I sprayed it, and it immediately smelled strange. on first sniff, its the same, but then there is an underlying addition of something i cant put my finger on. also something is removed.

i began to inspect the bottle. much different than my sadly empty one i compared it to i purchased a few years ago. It has a cheap cap, thats now glossy black instead of a nice thick textured navy blue.

The D&G nameplate on the bottle is gone. Instead, there name is screen printed. I also noticed, underneath, it says made in germany, instead of Italy.

I was furious. I was sure i had a fake.

I called up a friend that works at Neimans, and had him get me a bottle.

He came by later on in the evening, and gave me the box. I explained to him what happened. My wife, friend and myself huddled around the new, neiman's box unwrapping it. My wife was curious as well, she noticed the difference in smell right away.

I pull the bottle out of the box. and whammo....same as the one i thought was fake.

This is terrible terrible news.

Is there anywhere we can get the old scent? How can you tell which you will get before you buy?

I concur that D&G pour Homme is now a pale, sad shadow of its former self. A pity indeed.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

I found this to be true also.

I'm suddenly very glad that I have about 75% remaining of my 4.2 oz 2008 bottle of D&G Pour Homme with sticker and blue cap in tact. I really enjoy the scent but I rarely wear it for some reason. Still smells just as good as it did new and lasts a long time.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have about 80% of a 75 ml bottle from about 1996...................so potent!!

I bought a new 50ml bottle from a chemist last year. The new formulation is really bad. If you need an example of how a great fragrance can be completely stuffed up with a reformulation, that's it.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    I have about 80% of a 75 ml bottle from about 1996...................so potent!!
    I'm jealous!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Perhaps someone on Ebay has old stock (old version) and is selling it.

time to upgrade yourself!

This is the vintage:

And this is the reformulated:

????

I have a partially full old bottle in my sales thread, if you want one for cheap.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I decanted some of the new D&G into a sample atomizer at Nordstrom today. The new one is much lighter than the older one. Also it's a little less...masculine than the original. I prefer the look of the original bottle too.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Absolutely was reformulated. They figured most people are sheep and wouldn't notice the difference while they made more money - They were right.

The other version had this very rich, tobacco and leather smell to it - I remember it very well. I smelled it on other people several times, and loved it on them. I think I bought a couple mini's at the time of the good stuff. Very few scents made me feel that good wearing them. Probably bought my bottle after the reformulation. Absolutely should have bought a couple full bottles at the time, but who the hell would think they would completely cheapen and ruin the scent?? Not a thought that I had in my mind at the time. The newer ones are just lemon-cleaner garbage.
    Last edited by leor_77; 3rd October 2011 at 04:48 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

I noticed a difference. I prefer the original as well. The bottle looks so much cheaper without the name-plate /:

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    I noticed a difference. I prefer the original as well. The bottle looks so much cheaper without the name-plate /:
    I actually think, and am fairly sure that the reformulation was made before the name plate/sticker change happened (I honestly think it must have been at least 5-7 years ago). I think I bought two bottles at different times (one of each) and didn't get what I got from the original, with the one without the sticker actually being even worse than the previous bottle.

When did this reformulation happen? The first bottle I have has a sticker on it and I purchased it online about a year ago.

I bought a backup bottle (since mine is about 3/4 finished) and it is actually in the mail as I type this message. Am I screwed here? I liked the first bottle I bought but I don't know if it was reformulated or not when I bought it

I know that the 2008 bottle I own smells much better than the new formulated stuff so the reformulation probably happend sometime after 2008.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    I've never noticed a cucumber note, but it is much weaker than it used to be, and its not nearly as rich. That is UNDENIABLE. I encourage you to check it out for yourself. Its a shadow of what it used to be...

Could nt have said it better ! Bought it again last year, bottle is the same, but the juice is much weaker. Becomes a habit, sadly enough

Regrettable

I signed up just to post on this topic.. I originally bought my first bottle back in 2005-06 and it smelled awesome. The first time I smelled it was on another employee and had to tell him he smelled pretty dang good lol.. He told me it was D&G Pour Homme and before moving to another state I purchased a bottle. I constantly got compliments on it from working in a school environment. From occasional teachers to even elementary students, everyone seemed to take notice of it's scent. I ran out within the year since I pretty much dubbed it my scent.. But I bought my next bottle at a Macy's locally (in a different state) and one on Ebay and neither one satisfied me.. I sent the one from Ebay back to get the one from Macy's and again was disappointed thinking it was a fake.. But not from Macy's!! How could this be?? I learned to still deal with it and use the whole bottle again but no more compliments and even one time a male student asked what the putred smell was in the room lol. I just assumed he ment me and the lemon cleaner scent your talking about is exactly what comes to mind for me. Definitely detergenty, orange,lemon,citrus and floral blends vs this robust tobacco, mature scent that I had grown to love. I ended up buying another bottle last year and at this point I have half the bottle left and desperately in search of a replacement as I just can't take the smell anymore. But nothing is satisfying me.. I did use LaMale for a bottle and I must say I loved it's fresh pine,minty smell but it comes across to most as a good smelling soap. I just want that more manly smell D&G had..
    After seeing this post though I started researching and have found an auction on Ebay from a guy touting his possession of the older version and even selling them for a bit more than I was wanting to spend.. But if it's the real deal.. I'll be fine with paying the extra.. I'll post back to let you know how it turns out but I didn't even think about the bottle label or packaging being different. But seeing the difference now, I've had the etched on the bottle kind for the last few years and I definitely remember having the label version originally. I'm happy to have at least found that I'm not crazy.. and the wife as well. She agrees it just isn't the same and has never been happy with the replacement bottles. Here is the link to the auction where I bought mine. He says he has a few left but if it's the right kind I may be buying whats left lol :P

I'm banking on this being the original as he even has several auctions with the new package and doesn't sell them for as much or references it as different. Will report back on this soon.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 24th December 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: removed live eBay link

Quote Originally Posted by 24seven View Post
    I signed up just to post on this topic.. I originally bought my first bottle back in 2005-06 and it smelled awesome. The first time I smelled it was on another employee and had to tell him he smelled pretty dang good lol.. He told me it was D&G Pour Homme and before moving to another state I purchased a bottle. I constantly got compliments on it from working in a school environment. From occasional teachers to even elementary students, everyone seemed to take notice of it's scent. I ran out within the year since I pretty much dubbed it my scent.. But I bought my next bottle at a Macy's locally (in a different state) and one on Ebay and neither one satisfied me.. I sent the one from Ebay back to get the one from Macy's and again was disappointed thinking it was a fake.. But not from Macy's!! How could this be?? I learned to still deal with it and use the whole bottle again but no more compliments and even one time a male student asked what the putred smell was in the room lol. I just assumed he ment me and the lemon cleaner scent your talking about is exactly what comes to mind for me. Definitely detergenty, orange,lemon,citrus and floral blends vs this robust tobacco, mature scent that I had grown to love. I ended up buying another bottle last year and at this point I have half the bottle left and desperately in search of a replacement as I just can't take the smell anymore. But nothing is satisfying me.. I did use LaMale for a bottle and I must say I loved it's fresh pine,minty smell but it comes across to most as a good smelling soap. I just want that more manly smell D&G had..
    After seeing this post though I started researching and have found an auction on Ebay from a guy touting his possession of the older version and even selling them for a bit more than I was wanting to spend.. But if it's the real deal.. I'll be fine with paying the extra.. I'll post back to let you know how it turns out but I didn't even think about the bottle label or packaging being different. But seeing the difference now, I've had the etched on the bottle kind for the last few years and I definitely remember having the label version originally. I'm happy to have at least found that I'm not crazy.. and the wife as well. She agrees it just isn't the same and has never been happy with the replacement bottles. Here is the link to the auction where I bought mine. He says he has a few left but if it's the right kind I may be buying whats left lol :P

I'm banking on this being the original as he even has several auctions with the new package and doesn't sell them for as much or references it as different. Will report back on this soon.
    You could try Versace The Dreamer. That was suggested to me. Yes, current Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme is a pale version of its former self.

I've just come across some bottles that have the new printed name on the bottle, but have the old box (with the white frame) and were made in Italy. Could they be fake?

--EDIT--

They were bought in the UK, probably on the Heathrow Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I concur that D&G pour Homme is now a pale, sad shadow of its former self. A pity indeed.
    last time i tried (thinking about a gift for my parent) is wasn't as good as it was the last time i tried it. I thought the tester would have been in bad condition, but this thread is making me doubt about that.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been a very long-time wearer of D&G Pour Homme. I had original vintage in college and started my career. It was a rich, masculine scent that embodied confidence. I wore it on dates (year-round) and in light moderation to client meetings early in my work-life. Compliments were plentiful...sometimes, almost too noticeable and creating a scene! It was a masterpiece.

What has happened? I bought, a few years ago, a new 4.2oz bottle that was Made in Germany with a Blue Cap from a department store - but with the logo imprinted on the bottle. I no longer have the box, but remember that classic blue felt. The bottle still is about half-full. Fast forward to 6 months ago and I purchased a 4.2oz bottle with the silver label that was guaranteed authentic off eBay for a good price - I won an auction in the closing seconds. It came to me in fine shape - I was very happy to see the silver label and it was Made in Italy. I thought I had the original back and held onto it. One evening a couple of weeks ago, I took a warm shower and came into the bedroom for a night with my wife. I applied the new bottle with the silver label and noticed immediately that it was dilute. Within 20-30 minutes, it had faded almost completely from my skin...leaving just a trace! I was shocked and reapplied - this time putting a couple of shots of the Made in Germany blue capped bottle juice on my other arm. Immediately, the room filled with D&G Pour Homme with the German juice. I couldn't believe it. I was on a mission...

I have found that you cannot trust that all "vintage" bottles are still good. This wasn't cheap, but it is not nearly what it used to be! The Blue Cap German D&G Pour Homme seems to be very close to the original in terms of notes...maybe a touch weak in longevity, but it is undeniably good stuff and authentic.

So, question is - do I have a fake bottle or an old bottle that has lost its muster (highly unlikely) or is the new formulation from Italy just that bad?

I decided to go with my nose after deliberating and found a 4.2oz Blue Cap Made in Germany bottle for under $60 (a New Tester) from a very reputable seller on eBay. He also had several other old stock bottles of good juice that I bought. I am going to try it directly next to my other printed logo Blue Cap German bottle and compare juice, but he has a guarantee and solid return policy.

I read on here once that authentic D&G Pour Homme was Made in Germany, until they heavily reformulated it (now back in Italy). But, I thought the original bottles I bought (and I am not certain of this) were made in Italy back in the day with the silver label - can someone who knows please clarify?

Cheers!
    Last edited by ericrico; 16th February 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen