Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I received it a couple days ago. Its 100% authentic, as advertised. But its not like he has an unlimited supply. It was an unwanted gift.

i still can't believe it lol. Thank you again NewHaarlem!!

- - - Updated - - -

@ David Black

its Very simple. The Made in Italy version which is the original is the Best.

The reformulated Made in Germany one that came out in 2009-2011, i guess would be the second best.

The worst is the Made in UK version. It was reformulated again starting in 2012. I don't care what it says is in the formula, it smells terrible and nothing even remotely like the original.

At this point, if you don't like the way the Made in Germany version smells, then you need to find the original one.
    Thanks! I've returned the made in UK bottle and will just have to go without. Maybe in a few years DG will quit being cheap (which is funny because a t-shirt is like $100 USD from them) and return to the original formula. The original one used to be my absolute favorite fragrances, ever.
    1. Voyage d' Hermes EDP
    2. Dolce & Gabbana EDT pre 2008

Just received a 'vintage' / Italian-made bottle with serial code 324561, which apparently means it was manufactured in September 2003. Having been disappointed with the recent German / UK made versions, I'm looking forward to enjoying this bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Sorry, morrison -

I would've replied sooner...but just got this. This stock photo of a tester is not common to fool people - so the seller was not honest at all.

I hope you got a refund through Ebay.

Bottom line is that the Italian juice is fantastic, the German juice is good (together, they layer well) and the new stuff is not worth even pursuing.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Thanks Erico. As soon as I found out they were using a stock photo, I didn't go through with the purchase. Instead, I hunted around and found a vintage (2001) gift set (nib) on Ebay which included a 75ml EDT, a shower gel and 3 soap bars, all of which smell DIVINE! See post #110. I have been complimented on it each of the 4 or 5 times I have worn it so far.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

I received it a couple days ago. Its 100% authentic, as advertised. But its not like he has an unlimited supply. It was an unwanted gift.

- - - Updated - - -

@ David Black

The reformulated Made in Germany one that came out in 2009-2011, i guess would be the second best.

The worst is the Made in UK version. It was reformulated again starting in 2012. I don't care what it says is in the formula, it smells terrible and nothing even remotely like the original.

At this point, if you don't like the way the Made in Germany version smells, then you need to find the original one.

Nice summary of hundreds of posts
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa /Leather/Oud
    - Knize Ten
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Aqua Fahrenheit

Excellent!

I was hoping that someone would get this bottle and it would turn out to be the real deal. NewHaarlem, my friend...may good karma come back to you. That was kind and very unselfish.

This is the kind of community Basenotes is, represented by wonderful acts of kindness. I have received many from people here - and am truly grateful for all of them.

Great stuff, gentleman.

Enjoy the bottle - cheers,

ericrico

- - - Updated - - -

@ David Black

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent!

I was hoping that someone would get this bottle and it would turn out to be the real deal. NewHaarlem, my friend...may good karma come back to you. That was kind and very unselfish.

This is the kind of community Basenotes is, represented by wonderful acts of kindness. I have received many from people here - and am truly grateful for all of them.

Great stuff, gentleman.

Enjoy the bottle - cheers,

ericrico

- - - Updated - - -

@ David Black

“Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Found another vintage bottle on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181039112649

The seller doesn't have any feedback rating. But, based on her other items for sale I'm assuming she's selling estate finds (stuff that realtors find in non-owner houses/mansions that are up for sale).

I purchased this off of ebay today for $37. 2/3 full but seller said it was older,,maybe even 1999.. and original version. (Though this is the After Shave and not Eau de Toillette like many above) Hope it was stored right. Looks legit to me. I just wanted to smell it again. There was one seller on there that had 3 NIB Edt ones and it said "Made in Italy" in the ad but when I wrote and asked about it I never heard anything back so I didn't trust it as much. I'm hoping the older aftershave will give me some of the same feel. Bad buy? Is the afterhsave that much different?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by ToughCool; 13th December 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Found another vintage bottle from a reputable eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230897905336

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Excellent!
    Ericrico, this is mostly directed towards you, since you had a similar experience with vintage D&G...but anyone that can help, please chime in!

The bottle I got with Newhaarlems help is amazing. It smells and lasts exactly as it would if I were to have just bought it at retail.

However, i also purchased a 4.2oz gift set shortly after that. The juice smells like it should, which is great. But the longevity is extremely short. I try to spray it once or twice every couple days, and I can't really tell if it's improving or not.

Is there any hope for this bottle? It doesn't even last very long if I spray it on my clothes!

What can I do?

Saw this at a department store yesterday and had to buy it on the spot.

The code on the bottom indicates that it is a September 2006 bottle. It's a Made in Italy vintage and it smells fantastic. I still have about 80% remaining in my 4.2 oz vintage bottle I bought in 2008, so I am pretty much stocked for life! This "newer" bottle smells so fresh and rich. I was combing eBay for a bottle but I have more peace of mind buying from a department store, especially since I got a fake from eBay this year.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Nice, still did you realize the box is from the Germany version?

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Yes I do. Actually, it's from the UK version, which may be the same as the German one. The vintage box that it originally came in had a damaged UPC code so they used one of the newer boxes to ring me up and I kept it.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Ah ok. Cool.

Wow, so glad I stowed a few bottles away when it was going cheap about 5 years ago.

I managed to find a 45% full bottle on eBay which ended up costing me £14.50 (~$23) delivered in the UK. However, whenever I check out the date of manufacture it comes back as "Date of manufacture: 22 of September, 2010" according to checkcosmetic.net. How can this be so taking into account the reformulation? :s Does this mean the reformulation took place after 2008 or does it mean that not all "Made in Italy" bottles are old formulation? I've attached pictures btw. Any help or info appreciated.

Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Checkcosmetics is wrong here as this bottle is (99% sure) from 2000 and certainly not from 2010.

I had it with lots of bottles on which Checkcosmetics even said it was produced in 2012 or 2013 while it was 2010 or 2011.
    Davidoff (at least my bottles of Zino and Relax) are not recognized at all on (batch)-code and Cool Water bottles from the 90's are said to be from the 00's! In this case as well: it has to go back more than 10 years in time which results in wrong dates on Checkcosmetics.

Anyway, there are no sticker bottles produced anymore of Dolce&Gabbana pour homme as of 2009!

- Revillon R
    - Knize Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Checkcosmetics is wrong here as this bottle is (99% sure) from 2000 and certainly not from 2010.

I had it with lots of bottles on which Checkcosmetics even said it was produced in 2012 or 2013 while it was 2010 or 2011.
    Davidoff (at least my bottles of Zino and Relax) are not recognized at all on (batch)-code and Cool Water bottles from the 90's are said to be from the 00's! In this case as well: it has to go back more than 10 years in time which results in wrong dates on Checkcosmetics.

Anyway, there are no sticker bottles produced anymore of Dolce&Gabbana pour homme as of 2009!
    So i'm the proud owner of the original formulation then? By that I mean, the version without the small reformulation of 2005 or whenever it was?
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
    So i'm the proud owner of the original formulation then? By that I mean, the version without the small reformulation of 2005 or whenever it was?
    There was no reformulation in 2005........
    Yes you are but can't you just recognize by the smell that it's nothing like current version? The difference between the German and Italy version is quite big to say the least.

- Revillon R
    - Knize Ten

I've come across vintage (both silver label on bottle and box) D&G PH's with batch codes, according to checkcosmetic.net, that are from 2011/2012. So, I believe that site is not 100% accurate.

As Slayerized mentioned above, you should be able to know by how they smell. Vintage is smooth throughout, while the reformulation has sharp notes and cloying.

If you can smell tobacco prominently then it's a good indicator that it's the original. If it smells like a citrus bomb with no tobacco, then it's the new stuff. The easiest way of course is to see if it has a sticker or not. The reformulation took place in late 2008/early 2009. My 4.2 oz sticker bottle is from 2008.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

CologneFan85

The older juice was simply a amazing fragrance...Such a damn shame!

First I find out there is no Santa Claus, now this!...Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    The older juice was simply a amazing fragrance...Such a damn shame!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    First I find out there is no Santa Claus, now this!...Damn.
    Good thing you can still find vintage bottles from local perfume stores and on eBay. Just make sure the box has a silver rectangular label and made in Italy.

Hello people since there is so many 'professional' people on here , i was wondering if you know if there is some box of the OLD d&g pour homme (with the sticker) without that Velvet feeling on it? i have seen one in a store near where i live , and it smelled like a real one but the box/package without velvet had me wondering if it's a real vintage one or a fake..thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Not necessarily. I have a vintage just like his with the same box and it says MADE IN ITALY on the reverse. Mine checks out in 2007.

Just my opinion, D&G PH is a good scent, however I am not "Cocoa Puffs" over it as IMO it is a "bridge" scent bewteen Davidoff Cool Water and all the garbage of today, i.e., it maintains some integrity of the past, yet embraces that which is to come after: garbage. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    Not necessarily. I have a vintage just like his with the same box and it says MADE IN ITALY on the reverse. Mine checks out in 2007.

Just my opinion, D&G PH is a good scent, however I am not "Cocoa Puffs" over it as IMO it is a "bridge" scent bewteen Davidoff Cool Water and all the garbage of today, i.e., it maintains some integrity of the past, yet embraces that which is to come after: garbage. Just my 2 cents.
    Can you post pics of your non-velvet/non-rectangular sticker box that is made in Italy?
    Last edited by morrison74; 7th February 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Can you post pics of your non-velvet/non-rectangualr sticker box that is made in Italy?
    Who said it was non-velvet? Mine is exactly like mesaboogie's photo (2.5 oz.).

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    Who said it was non-velvet? Mine is exactly like mesaboogie's photo (2.5 oz.).
    Ah, I see. I misunderstood your comment. My apologies.

Swaps
    Wanted

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Hi all,
    I'd like to know if this is the original version (the valuable one) :

I have the Made in Germany version and love it. It's way better than the newest formulation.... however I haven't smelled the original.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt