Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - reformulated?

I just bought a 90% full 2.5oz bottle of the vintage made in Italy juice on eBay for $27. I've had it for two days now and am loving it. My local Dillard's still has the vintage formula in its tester bottle, so I knew I loved it (based on comparing with the newer version at Sephora). Also, I'm a huge fan of Versace's Dreamer, so the similarities of the tobacco flower/blossom note are what drew me to D&G as well. And I'm very pleased with the deal. The seller bought it from an estate sale & had washed all the bottles so the sticker had came off. Guess that scared some buyers away, but when he said that, I knew it was the vintage sticker version. (and since it was from an estate sale, I figured it wasn't a fake). And sure enough, it's the vintage version complete with the made in Italy sticker, and the code checks out on Checkcosmetic.com as being made in 2006. So I'm very happy with the great deal on this awesome scent.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    I have the Made in Germany version and love it. It's way better than the newest formulation.... however I haven't smelled the original.
    Same here. Not sure I even want to smell the vintage, don't want it to ruin my feelings toward my made in Germany. It's one of my special occasion scents, I wore it at my wedding last year so it's quite a significant scent for me. Have not smelled the latest reormulation either, but haven't heard anything good about it.

I will probably try to seek out an additional 125mL of the Germany version sooner or later. Hopefully I'll come across it on eBay where no one really would suspect it's worth since the bottle is identical to the new formulation.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Hi all,
    I had a quite strange experience.
    Found this bottle in a sort of "garbage angle" in a small perfumery, and the old seller told me it was there "more than 10 years!" and nobody wanted to buy it because "it's a splash bottle, nobody want splashes today...". Okay.

First: no indications on the sides or bottom or top of the velvet box.

Second: only Three ingredients on back.

Third: A strange batch code on the velvet

and finally, the bottom sticker is different from other ones: it's written only in italian.
    note: the batch code is THE SAME on box and on bottle

Now, check cosmetic says: YEAR 2007.

the strange things are:
    - Can only 3 ingredients be listed on box, in 2007 ? (IFRA directives activated already in 2000-2001)
    - Can splash bottles be still in production, in 2007? (almost every splash production, excepted the aftershaves, ended in 1999-2000, all brands )

My suspect is: this a bottle from 1997, not 2007. Could it be possible? What's your opinion?
    Could you post any picture of your vintage bottle box? Especially for ingredients list.
    (Smell is definitely richer and more refined than today bottles: it's pity for the missing spray)

Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 14th March 2013 at 07:37 PM.

I have the same splash bottle I bought over 10 years ago. I just transfer it into 5ml glass atomizers when needed

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I have the same splash bottle I bought over 10 years ago. I just transfer it into 5ml glass atomizers when needed
    in this case, we could be proud owners of a "original-vintage-before-any-reformulation" D&G PH bottle

Hi,

I have this one I think that's the original (Vap.) version...?

i have the most recent formula. still smells very good .

Yes, it's a vintage (sticker) version of most likely 2007.
    I actually wonder why you ask as this is all more than clear when reading this thread lol

About the smell: I own 4x 75 ml bottles of vintage sticker, Made in Italy versions (see also my posts in this thread) of which all are from different years of production and they all smell the same to me; meaning excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Hi,

- - - Updated - - -

Meaning the 'Made in Germany' or 'Made in UK' version?
    Plz do a side by side with original vintage (sticker, made in Italy) as the difference is almost beyond comprehension, lol (see earlier posts). I own the Germany version as well and I consider it actually as a completely different scent compared to vintage. In short: a lemony tobacco-less summer version with bad longevity compared to the vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    i have the most recent formula. still smells very good .
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Yes, it's a vintage (sticker) version of most likely 2007.
    I actually wonder why you ask as this is all more than clear when reading this thread lol
    I have difficulties to believe a 125ml EDT -not aftershave- splash bottle was produced in 2007.
    Even more if a box report only a 3-ingredients-list... in 2007. It is impossible.

Seems someone re-packaged my bottle with a newer batch code, in an older box.

- - - Updated - - -

well, it seems a very old bottle, before year 2000, not 2007 ...I'm very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Hi,

@Andre

I own 4x 75ml bottles with sticker, made in Italy.
    They are all produced between 2000 and 2008 and look the same as yours.
    Mind that all bottles between 1994-2009 with the sticker looked the same.
    The sticker on the bottom can and is sometimes different. This one looks looks the same as mine from 2007 with the 6 digit code, starting with a 7 (2007).
    If you're 100% sure yours is from pre-2007, it is most likely from 1997.

I have had the opportunity to smell the vintage, the first reformulation, and the newest current scent. The vintage is obviously a classic frag that has beastly longevity and depth. The first reformulation is still very good but not near as long lasting or deep and rich. The current formulation is pure garbage. Absolutely lemon, lemon, lemon, no creamy tobacco, no depth, and certainly no longevity, Although those of us who have had the opportunity to have owned or currently own the vintage formulation may be a bit skewed in our judging as we have a dynamite fragrance as a point of reference. It could only get worse, lol.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Meaning the 'Made in Germany' or 'Made in UK' version?
    Plz do a side by side with original vintage (sticker, made in Italy) as the difference is almost beyond comprehension, lol (see earlier posts). I own the Germany version as well and I consider it actually as a completely different scent compared to vintage. In short: a lemony tobacco-less summer version with bad longevity compared to the vintage.[/QUOTE]

i have the one made in UK . i know it smells a bit different but i like it and enjoy it. i used the vintage back in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    I have difficulties to believe a 125ml EDT -not aftershave- splash bottle was produced in 2007.
    Even more if a box report only a 3-ingredients-list... in 2007. It is impossible.

Seems someone re-packaged my bottle with a newer batch code, in an older box.

- - - Updated - - -

well, it seems a very old bottle, before year 2000, not 2007 ...I'm very confused.
    Andre, the easiest thing to do is spray some on your skin - let us know how you go.

previously posted on another thread:
    ------------------------------------------------
    D&G pour Homme

Original version: 1994 to 2000 (produced by Euroitalia factory, with top-quality ingredients)

First reformulation : 2000 to 2008 (produced by Euroitalia, still high-quality, but with slight changes due to restrictions)

Second reformulation :2009-2011 (produced by P&G, "made in Germany", heavily reformulated, great differences from the original, but considered still -barely- acceptable)

Third reformulation, 2012-today: ("Made in UK", probably the worst )

So here is where the plot thickens. I have a 4.2 oz bottle from 2007 that has on the sticker P&G Beauty but made in Italy, AND its a sticker bottle!!!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Probably one of the last bottles produced in Italy, when the propriety changed.
    2007/2008 were a transitioning year, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    So here is where the plot thickens. I have a 4.2 oz bottle from 2007 that has on the sticker P&G Beauty but made in Italy, AND its a sticker bottle!!!

Reformulation,It is one of the most used word on basenotes. To me it doesnt make anysense reffering to a scent that has been reformulated. Once reformulated what can be done. Almost all the fragrances through out the world are being reformulated.So reformulation is no big deal. If you like a brand get it and wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    Reformulation,It is one of the most used word on basenotes. To me it doesnt make anysense reffering to a scent that has been reformulated. Once reformulated what can be done. Almost all the fragrances through out the world are being reformulated.So reformulation is no big deal. If you like a brand get it and wear it.
    Do you realize that you are telling us that we should continue to buy a product even if it bears little resemblance to its previous incarnation, due to some sense of "brand loyalty?" If not, then I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not a brand loyalty person so that would not apply to me, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of people like me. But you are correct, in that if someone, for some reason beyond my comprehension, feels that they must buy a scent that is marketed under a particular brand, then yes, I guess they will "grin and bear it."

There are scents that after two/three reformulations are completely different; and still bear the same name.
    It's more honest to change name at this point....

I have one half full bottle from 2007 and as I really loved the juice added 2 full 125ml bottles of 2010 formulation, but I have not opened them yet.
    Do you mean that they don't worth it to have 2 backup bottles? If so I can swap one of them with some other thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Do you realize that you are telling us that we should continue to buy a product even if it bears little resemblance to its previous incarnation, due to some sense of "brand loyalty?" If not, then I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not a brand loyalty person so that would not apply to me, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of people like me. But you are correct, in that if someone, for some reason beyond my comprehension, feels that they must buy a scent that is marketed under a particular brand, then yes, I guess they will "grin and bear it."
    It doesn't seem to be hurting sales but only cause endless conversation here on Basenotes Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    It doesn't seem to be hurting sales but only cause endless conversation here on Basenotes Forum.
    The food industry did this same sort of thing long ago (read "Fighting the Food Giants," for example). It was likely widespread even in the ancient world. The point here is brand loyalty if you know what's going on, not if you are one of the "sheeple" who just buy without a second thought. If you want to be among the sheeple, be my guest !

Hi all,
    I had a quite strange experience.
    Found this bottle in a sort of "garbage angle" in a small perfumery, and the old seller told me it was there "more than 10 years!" and nobody wanted to buy it because "it's a splash bottle, nobody want splashes today...". Okay.

First: no indications on the sides or bottom or top of the velvet box.

Second: only Three ingredients on back.

Third: A strange batch code on the velvet

and finally, the bottom sticker is different from other ones: it's written only in italian.
    note: the batch code is THE SAME on box and on bottle

Now, check cosmetic says: YEAR 2007.

the strange things are:
    - Can only 3 ingredients be listed on box, in 2007 ? (IFRA directives activated already in 2000-2001)
    - Can splash bottles be still in production, in 2007? (almost every splash production, excepted the aftershaves, ended in 1999-2000, all brands )

My suspect is: this a bottle from 1997, not 2007. Could it be possible? What's your opinion?
    Could you post any picture of your vintage bottle box? Especially for ingredients list.
    (Smell is definitely richer and more refined than today bottles: it's pity for the missing spray)

Looks like you happened upon a wonderful bottle. Enjoy.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I quite agree with you in the sense that you don't want to continue with the brand that is reformulated. If that is the case Just move away from that brand if you feel it is not worth. Again i would like to stick to the same point, once reformulated there is not much you can do about that. What is the point of having an animated conversation over the basenotes?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    The so called "endless conversation" is quite helpful and shows the depth of knowledge and appreciation of fragrance enthusiasts.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

...What is the point of having an animated conversation over the basenotes?
    I can't control how "animated" people get, nor do I care, really. I've seen a lot more "heated" threads on other sites, actually. And while it may bother some people, I've gotten used to it, and I try to just respond in a straightforward way. The point of more than one "conversation" can vary, but some of us are researching formulations so we post new information as we learn about it. There are many threads I have no interest in and don't read, so I simply do not understand why people who don't believe reformulated scents can smell different continue to read the threads and try to tell some of us that we are smelling something that doesn't really exist. Just stick to the threads that interest you is my advice.

I have a bottle of the "Germany" formulation and I really like it, but I was not familiar with the original. After reading up on these forums and reviews online it really made me curiosity to smell the original so I found a 4.2 oz. bottle that is over 95% full. I was actually shocked at how big of a difference there is. A lot of the reviewers online say that the differences are minimal, but they are very significant. The Italy version has much less citrus and much more tobacco. The dry down is very smooth and more complex. I'm really glad I tried the original. Having said that, I really like with the "Germany" version and wish to use it as more of a summer scent. The Italy version gives me more of a fall/winter vibe. My wardrobe is mostly loaded with fall/winter scents right now. I would be willing to part with this almost full bottle of the "Italy" juice if anyone is interested in contacting me. Although I would love to keep it in my wardrobe, I'm not sure I would appreciate it as much as someone who fell in love with the original and now misses it. Shoot me a message if interested.

Howdy John, and welcome to the forums

I don't know how much time or money you spent in acquiring your Made in Italy bottle, but my advice would be to keep it. I know from my own experiences that I have sold bottles, only to regret it later. People's tastes not only change over a long period of time, but can alternate week to week. I know I have fragrances that I smell one week and think "no", and the next week they smell great and I wear them.

Also, you can layer both formulations one on top of the other. That way, you can have the best of both. Or spray part of your body with one, and elsewhere with the other.

Just my 2 cents.

I've come to dislike the German formulation. There's something that smell "off" about it in an "unnatural" way, and it seems a bit unbalanced too. I intend to wear the original tomorrow, so I'll report back if I do.

UPDATE: Wore it today and the difference is clear, in that the original smells entirely natural and balanced correctly. I'm sure the German version would be fine for most people who like this kind of scent, but if you are discerning about ingredient quality I suggest only seeking out the original.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 8th May 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Anyone know if this is the original formulation ? 125ml tester bottle

IMG_6995.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyv View Post
    Anyone know if this is the original formulation ? 125ml tester bottle

IMG_6995.jpg
    Turns out this is a FAKE ! I went to pick up 20x 125ml bottles in tester boxes this afternoon and upon a quick inspection everything seemed OK, however when I sprayed the EDT on my Wrist it smelt nothing like it is supposed to.
    Deeper analysis also revealed the front label which is supposed to be textured, was actually smooth.
    A lucky escape !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I have the chance to buy this tester online. Do you think it is the original?

Attachment 17134
    I know this is a very old thread. But im 100% sure this is fake !

I just got back from a sellers house, he was selling 20 x 125ml bottles in the same packaging. If you look at the front label on the bottle, you will see its all smooth and not as the genuine article is, the black border is supposed to be textured.
    I nearly bought 22 bottles, but thank God, I sprayed it first. Nothing like my Bottle at home

After my Fake 'near' purchase above, I finally managed to find a vintage bottle unopened on ebay!

Batch Number: 612821

P1000654edit.jpg

P1000655edit.jpg

P1000661edit.jpg
    Last edited by jonnyv; 7th November 2013 at 02:10 PM.

I might be late but I just wanted to ask that I have seen different colored juices in those bottles with stickers above and in my local shops too, so I wanted to know which colored juice is the real one? The more darker yellow one or the lighter yellow one. I might just buy them both in the end but the ones I happened to test were the dark yellow juice which projected and lasted quite good on my skin. Also I might get a 60% full bottle of it which is at a counter as a tester. It smelled fine to me but is it safe to drop 30$ on it? Actually it smelled the strongest of all the ones I've tested but was out in the open to florescent lights. Is it a safe bet in your opinion?

Get the sticker on the bottle version. Most answers is in this thread with photos.

regards

CologneFan85

I have the Vintage made in Italy still...AND YES ITS WAY BETTER THAN THE OTHERS

Really? lol

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    I have the Vintage made in Italy still...AND YES ITS WAY BETTER THAN THE OTHERS

CologneFan85

Yea really lol

In my opinion smell similar to the "vintage" I own both. Only cuz one was made in italy and the other one in Germany . Why you pay more for the ome made in Italy if you can get more cheaper the one from Germany.

Oh my, lol
    If you think like this and oppose what almost everybody is trying to explain in this 200+ posts thread I would strongly advise you to stock up on the German version! (before there is only the UK version available!).
    I know better and stocked up on the Italian version (4x 75ml) and also own 1x 75ml German formulation.
    They are not even close to say the least but now I am repeating myself................

noirtomford
    Re: Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - reformulated?

In my opinion smell similar to the "vintage" I own both. Only cuz one was made in italy and the other one in Germany . Why you pay more for the ome made in Italy if you can get more cheaper the one from Germany.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 5th January 2014 at 04:06 PM.

I'm convinced that it's a different scent now, I remember about 9 years ago my dad had a bottle of this and it was really one of the most beautiful smells, rich and spicy and at that young age I used to splash it on and get compliments galore (I was about 12). A few years back when I was Into buying fragrances for myself I bought this online and I was so disappointed that there was this sickly tobacco note and it just smelt weird and wrong with only a hint of the original in it. I would bet anything that they have changed it simply based on how vividly I remember it's original smell compared to what it is now.

the new reformulation is made in uk .... my actual bottle i ve bought some months ago is made in uk not germany

Yes, that is the second reformulation as of 2012 and hardly worth discussing.

I thought the true vintage is the one with silver sticker on bottle and embossed box and is made in Germany?

? Sticker (= vintage) is made in Italy!
    I'd advise you to read the entire thread, lol

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I thought the true vintage is the one with silver sticker on bottle and embossed box and is made in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    ? Sticker (= vintage) is made in Italy!
    I'd advise you to read the entire thread, lol
    My bad... I thought mines was made in Germany; it's actually Italy. Anyway, I've been wearing my vintage D&G PH at least once a week in the office ever since I acquired it more than a year ago. It has become one of my all time favorites.

Congratulations on finding that. I have been looking on ebay trying to find this and there are seemingly several that seem legit. I am still very skeptical, though. What was the ebay sellers user ID for this one?

Not sure if these are real, but if they are, good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolce-Gabban...-/111353161878

Why does the bottom label say UK as well as Made in Italy? Apologies if this is explained in this thread, I only skimmed thru the pics...

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Not sure if these are real, but if they are, good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolce-Gabban...-/111353161878

Why does the bottom label say UK as well as Made in Italy? Apologies if this is explained in this thread, I only skimmed thru the pics...
    The printing on the label is really bad.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st May 2014 at 08:56 PM.

These bottles "could" be legit, Procter&Gamble started to produce D&G in July 2006, still maintaning the italian factory, then in 2008 switching production to Germany.
    the year is 2007 (batch 7123). The incredible thing is the very low price. if the bottles are authentic....I'd grab all .
    Unfortunately the seller doesn't ship to Italy.

please note I absolutely don't know the seller
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 21st May 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Andre. The 7 means the year it was manufactured? I have a tester of this which I think starts with a five. So my year of make was 2005?
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

These bottles "could" be legit, Procter&Gamble started to produce D&G in July 2006, still maintaning the italian factory, then in 2008 switching production to Germany.
    the year is 2007 (batch 7123). The incredible thing is the very low price. if the bottles are authentic....I'd grab all .
    Unfortunately the seller doesn't ship to Italy.

please note I absolutely don't know the seller
    Here's the strange thing - a different seller (which seems like a very reputable perfume e-tailer) has a ton of these from the same batch (7123), except they are selling for a bit more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-DOL...-/121086766575

yes first number means "year" so 7= 1997 or 2007 and 5=1995 or 2005 . That's incredible! how many precious bottles arrived in USA and remain unsold. Maybe testers, being without any box..

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Here's the strange thing - a different seller (which seems like a very reputable perfume e-tailer) has a ton of these from the same batch (7123), except they are selling for a bit more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-DOL...-/121086766575

Thanks Andre.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Hey guys I was just reading up on this because i just started wearing my Italy formulation (not sure if its the 1994-2000 really vintage version) more now and glad to see people are still talking about the old formula. I got a 4.2 ounce bottle that is like 99% full from a fellow basenoter and i am always a big hoarder so i was searching ebay and came across this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201026479071...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty steep price but i always worry about ebay fragrances being fake even if they look real! What do you guys think? Also a link for everyone incase you are looking for a sealed bottle!

Also my vintage bottle reads 017444 on the bottle sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    Also my vintage bottle reads 017444 on the bottle sticker.
    The one on eBay says sealed box yet has a picture of the bottle. May very well be that it's just an example as the seller has multiple bottles. I think the opened bottle in the picture is really old if it's legit. Maybe ask Andre or someone more knowledge on this.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Ebay seller show the long -list ingredients box so it's definitely "after 2004".
    batch 017xxxx means = year 2000.
    first bottles (roughly 1994-2000) had the sticker on the bottom written entirely in italian:

Looks like a genuine 2005 bottle to me!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    Hey guys I was just reading up on this because i just started wearing my Italy formulation (not sure if its the 1994-2000 really vintage version) more now and glad to see people are still talking about the old formula. I got a 4.2 ounce bottle that is like 99% full from a fellow basenoter and i am always a big hoarder so i was searching ebay and came across this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201026479071...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty steep price but i always worry about ebay fragrances being fake even if they look real! What do you guys think? Also a link for everyone incase you are looking for a sealed bottle!

Also, the label doesn't say Pour Homme, and that means it could be mistaken for the women's one, since it's not on the label stuck to the front of the bottle either. And has anyone seen a D&G bottle that is Made in Italy but not by Euroitalia?

wow thank goodness you are very knowledgeable on d&g pour homme. So my 4.2 ounce bottle is from 2000 meaning the more vintage juice? My box has the ingredients list but not nearly as long as the ebay box. Also my sticker is not all in italian. I also have a used 2.5 ounce that reads 413475 (not too sure,very hard to see) that i overpayed for on ebay before getting the bigger better bottle for about the same price from a basenoter.