Code of Conduct

Default bond no 9 new harlem

Hey folks,

I love gourmand fragrances and I currently have Rochas Man, Play Intense, Amen, Pure Havane, Pure Malt and DIor Homme intense. Is Bond New Harlem worth checking out or do I have a gourmand listed above that is similiar?

Nick

Default Re: bond no 9 new harlem

I'd say you are running the risk of getting too many that smell similar. New Haarlem is a more refined Rochan Man, from what I remember, so if you get it you may no longer be able to wear RM (this has happened to me with a few frags). If you've got plenty of money, though, sure, grab a bottle ASAP.

As Bigsly said, it is a much more refined version of Rochas Man. I would say check it out because in my opinion it is even more gourmand than the rest on your list, for me it was too much so. It is a delicious scent, but, smells too much like a dessert for me to wear. It is a very very nice scent, though.

If your a fan of gourmands it's a must have in my opinion.

Does it smell like AMEN at all??

I have Pure Malt and New Haarlem...I used to own Rochas Man and New Haarlem is far superior IMO... To me, they're not even close. As silentrich said, if you like gourmand, you need it.

Check out Royal Oud by Creed....a nice gourmand

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Does it smell like AMEN at all??
    A bit, but not really. I wouldn't consider having both as being redundant at all. They both have very distinguishing characteristics. As others have noted, it's most similar to Rochas Man of what you listed, and those two are quite similar.

Agree that it's close to Rochas Man which IMO I prefer.

Hey folks,

I love gourmand fragrances and I currently have Rochas Man, Play Intense, Amen, Pure Havane, Pure Malt and DIor Homme intense. Is Bond New Harlem worth checking out or do I have a gourmand listed above that is similiar?

Nick
    Nick, I think you would like this one. It is far superior to Rochas Man IMO and I don't think you would wear it much if at all after buying NH (I will be selling mine soon). It is great for the cold part of the fall and winter and should probably be used only in these seasons. For me it is definitely not too foody/deserty to wear, but you need to keep it to the proper weather. This is probably my most complimented cologne. All this being said, you should definitely find a sample and not blind buy this as it's quite expensive.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

i need to try New Haarlem... heard a lot of good things with this one

I like semi gourmands and have many that you listed but I much prefer Rochas Man over New Haarlem as it is lighter. I found that NH was very thick and smelled like I had poured maple syrup over my skin which had a funky to strong coffee note. I am so glad that I did not blind buy and managed to obtain a sample. A try before you buy fragrance.

New Harlem is arabica coffee all around, far more potent than Rochas Man and certainly more refined. Five times the price, as well... It is a must try, but I'm not sure it's something one would wear ofthen, and considering the price range, you wanna think twice before you shell your shillings. It's got a simliar vibe to A*Men Pure Coffee, although i find NH more bitter and dry, similar longevity, but NH more subtle and elegant.
    Ŕ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I have a basically a brand new 100ml bottle of New Haarlem up for sale/swap if anyone is interested Great fragrance, I just never reach for it or find the right occasion to wear it in this Florida heat.

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I have a basically a brand new 100ml bottle of New Haarlem up for sale/swap if anyone is interested Great fragrance, I just never reach for it or find the right occasion to wear it in this Florida heat.
    I feel your pain. This is why Rochas Man isn't redundant as you can wear it in the summer and NH in the winter.

Hmmm...I guess my nose isn't refined. I hate Rochas Man, but enjoy New Haarlem quite a bit. To me, they smell nothing alike. Not close at all. Yes, there's a coffee smell to Rochas Man, but New Haarlem is more of a coffee cake scent, mixed with coffee. I also find that I can wear New Haarlem in the heat. How often are you actually outside, and how often are you stuck in an air conditioned office building? I know not everyone has a cubicle job, but if you're inside most of the time New Haarlem is fine. Just watch the overapplication.

The reason I don't have a bottle right now is that, IMO, it's way overpriced. At $75.00 per 100 ML, this would be a great buy; at $100 or even $125, probably still bottle worthy; but at $175.00 and up, it's just too expensive. Of course, I'm the same guy that defends Creed's pricing on most of its "non-exclusive" colognes, so this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Hmmm...I guess my nose isn't refined. I hate Rochas Man, but enjoy New Haarlem quite a bit. To me, they smell nothing alike. Not close at all. Yes, there's a coffee smell to Rochas Man, but New Haarlem is more of a coffee cake scent, mixed with coffee. I also find that I can wear New Haarlem in the heat. How often are you actually outside, and how often are you stuck in an air conditioned office building? I know not everyone has a cubicle job, but if you're inside most of the time New Haarlem is fine. Just watch the overapplication.

The reason I don't have a bottle right now is that, IMO, it's way overpriced. At $75.00 per 100 ML, this would be a great buy; at $100 or even $125, probably still bottle worthy; but at $175.00 and up, it's just too expensive. Of course, I'm the same guy that defends Creed's pricing on most of its "non-exclusive" colognes, so this is just my opinion.
    You could get it brand new, 100mL from beautyencounter for 135 with a 10% off coupon

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrydown View Post
    You could get it brand new, 100mL from beautyencounter for 135 with a 10% off coupon
    That's a great catch! Thanks for the info. That's a really good price for New Haarlem -- even cheaper than most of the Ebay sellers I've seen. I may have to open my piggy bank after all. Now if I can just find the space for it . . . .

Add Guerlain L'Instant Extreme/EDP to your list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Yup have both, they are masterpieces Imo

Ol folks i decided to take the plunge and buy new Harlem blind, I'm a huge fan of fragrances as you can from my first post..the gourmands i currently have. I hope i made the right decision.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Yup i have both of them too, awesome stuff...

Ol folks i decided to take the plunge and buy new Harlem blind, I'm a huge fan of fragrances as you can from my first post..the gourmands i currently have. I hope i made the right decision.

Nick
    No worries; if you don't like it, you can sell it here for nearly what you pay for it. I'm wearing NH right now, and can't stop smelling myself!

Thank you for all your responses, I decided to buy New Harlem blind and it sure is amazing stuff. There is definitely a similiarity between this and Rochas Man. However this is more rich and elegant smelling to my nose. I figured I'd love this stuff because I'm a huge fan of gourmands. Longevity beast as well 8-12 hours on my skin....

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If your a fan of gourmands it's a must have in my opinion.

Absolutely, and anyone who thinks New Haarlem is similar to Rochas Man really needs to make an appointment with an Ear,Nose & Throat doctor.

Hey guys! This fragrance is amazing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've tried all of the fragrances that the original poster listed.

New haarlem is better than all of them in my opinion. Its my favorite gourmand, aside from pure malt possibly.

Definitely try nh. You can get it on bond no 9 website and five other samples for 15 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by drchipinski View Post
    Check out Royal Oud by Creed....a nice gourmand
    A beautiful black tea with bergamotte-lemon...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    You can get it on bond no 9 website and five other samples for 15 dollars.
    Not anymore

Yes, very unfortunately, they've suspended this service on their website & are currently only giving out samples in stores. Such a shame & IMO a gamble from a business perspective.

Anyway...back on topic to some of the other things mentioned in the thread. I only find slight similarities between New Haarlem & Rochas Man & think one could easily own & enjoy both (I do). Rochas man, to me, is green & masculine to start, then evolves to the sexy, sweet, sugary mocha drydown. It's a fantastic transition all around IMO and is such a great frag for the price on top of everything else. It's much more wearable & versatile from my experience.

On the other side, NH hits you right from the start with the strong, but quite classy & refined gourmet, carmalized coffee aroma. I think they're both brilliant scents. Personally, I enjoy wearing and smelling like New Haarlem more....but, find that most others close to me prefer and enjoy the smell of Rochas man more. Therefore, I still like and wear both, just at different times and for different reasons.