Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Recommendation Request - Night Time, Elegant, Masculine

Hi guys,

I've been on the forums or a while but this is my first post. I'm trying to find a particular type of cologne: particularly elegant (regal even), masculine, night time. The kind of thing I'd wear with a suit or tux to a special occasion and people would notice yet have never heard of.

I've been considering things like some of the Private Blends from Tom Ford, but goodness they're expensive. I've tried the Creeds but none of them hit the right button either nor do I want to pay that much. Any recommendations?

A word of caution: I'm a fan of aquatics. I realize that, for what I'm going for, I'll have to set aside my preference. On that note, I'm a fan of Tom Ford Extreme (but poor longevity!) and HeWood (not refined enough!).

Default Re: Fragrance Recommendation Request - Night Time, Elegant, Masculine

Out of the fragrances I own, or have sampled, I'd recommend the following:

L'instant de Guerlain EDT/EDP (I prefer the EDT)
    Chanel Egoiste
    Ungaro III
    Chanel Antaeus

Also, some might debate its masculinity, but Dior Homme Intense would also fit the bill nicely I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Danforz View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been on the forums or a while but this is my first post. I'm trying to find a particular type of cologne: particularly elegant (regal even), masculine, night time. The kind of thing I'd wear with a suit or tux to a special occasion and people would notice yet have never heard of.

I've been considering things like some of the Private Blends from Tom Ford, but goodness they're expensive. I've tried the Creeds but none of them hit the right button either nor do I want to pay that much. Any recommendations?

A word of caution: I'm a fan of aquatics. I realize that, for what I'm going for, I'll have to set aside my preference. On that note, I'm a fan of Tom Ford Extreme (but poor longevity!) and HeWood (not refined enough!).
    Sounds like you're describing Creed Green Irish Tweed. Didn't like that one?

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Out of the fragrances I own, or have sampled, I'd recommend the following:

L'instant de Guerlain EDT/EDP (I prefer the EDT)
    Chanel Egoiste
    Ungaro III
    Chanel Antaeus

Also, some might debate its masculinity, but Dior Homme Intense would also fit the bill nicely I think.
    Thank you for the reply. I can tell you off the bat I'm not a fan of Egoiste or Ungaro III. I will look into the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Sounds like you're describing Creed Green Irish Tweed. Didn't like that one?
    I know GIT is a popular one, but honestly, I don't care for the fragrance. The only Creed's I've cared for is Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water. I find the original creeds interesting because of their regal novelty. Again... I'm going for that particularly elegant/classy/regal night time scent.

Creed Royal Oud

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Creed Royal Oud
    I'll have to try that. I'm also thinking maybe Millesime Imperial - though its definitely NOT masculine.

1) Dior Homme Intense - very elegant, sexy, good for night, stand out, and despite others pointing to a "lipstick note," this is more cocoa/vanilla dominated than the original and more masculine IMO.
    2) L'Instant Edp as someone already mentioned.
    3) If you want to go a little bolder, Jubilation XXV by Amouage. This is particularly elegant, regal/expensive smelling (well, it is...).
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I'm a fan of HeWood (not refined enough!).
    You should give a chance to Cuir Pleine Fleur. The violet leaf note is pretty similar to the one in HeWood but the scent moves on a totally higher level. It's extremely refined and elegant yet very versatile and most of all it doesn't fall into the "chemical woods" trick.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hugh Parsons Blue

La Nuit de L'Homme YSL perhaps? It is good value for money, if anything. How about Chergui Lutens (in small quantities!!) or perhaps Lumiere Noire Kurkdjian, the latter being really wonderful?
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Sounds like a job for Leonary Pour Homme (vintage version).

I suggest you try Creed Windsor if you haven't already. It is one of the best men's fragrances there is, IMO. Supremely regal. You don't have to purchase an entire flacon either. There are reasonably priced decants available.

Martin

Amouage Gold!

Thumbs up Re: Fragrance Recommendation Request - Night Time, Elegant, Masculine

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    1) Dior Homme Intense - very elegant, sexy, good for night, stand out, and despite others pointing to a "lipstick note," this is more cocoa/vanilla dominated than the original and more masculine IMO.
    2) L'Instant Edp as someone already mentioned.
    3) If you want to go a little bolder, Jubilation XXV by Amouage. This is particularly elegant, regal/expensive smelling (well, it is...).
    I'm contemplating purchasing Amouage sampler ($38 - $50) off of Amazon. Secondly, where can I get the original (2005) Dior Homme Intense?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    You should give a chance to Cuir Pleine Fleur. The violet leaf note is pretty similar to the one in HeWood but the scent moves on a totally higher level. It's extremely refined and elegant yet very versatile and most of all it doesn't fall into the "chemical woods" trick.
    I might have to go to LuckyScent and see if I can try this.

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    La Nuit de L'Homme YSL perhaps? It is good value for money, if anything. How about Chergui Lutens (in small quantities!!) or perhaps Lumiere Noire Kurkdjian, the latter being really wonderful?
    Own La Nuit, that's be my classy suit sent but more so on the feminine side. At least to my nose. Looking for something maybe a little rougher around the edges, but in the most gentlemanly fashion possible. Already beginning to read reviews on the other two you listed. Thanks!

NIGHT TIME:
    - JOOP! HOMME
    - Bvlgari Black
    - Versace The Dreamer
    ELEGANT
    - Boss bottled #6
    - Bvlgari Extreme
    - Chanel Allure Homme
    MASCULINE:
    - D & G Pour Homme
    - Jean Paul GAULTIER Le Male
    - RL POLO Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like a job for Leonary Pour Homme (vintage version).
    Can't find it.

I might have to go to LuckyScent and see if I can try this.
    That's an option. Don't expect a similar fragrance though. Beside the Violet Leaf note they're pretty much different.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

You could try the classic fragrances from Hermes (Rocabar, Equipage, Bel Ami). Well done and rather old fashioned.

Have you tried Bois du Portugal from Creed? I would have recommended Tom Ford Extreme, too. Nice example of a modernized classic fragrance.

Maybe Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire? A rather simple vetiver-centered fragrance, but well suited for formal wear.

The more old fashioned Guerlains are well-regarded on Basenotes, too. (Vetiver, Heritage, Habit Rouge, Derby, some others). Personally I think they smell terribly dated but they certainly are of good quality and might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by cbctrading2000 View Post
    NIGHT TIME:
    - JOOP! HOMME
    - Bvlgari Black
    - Versace The Dreamer
    ELEGANT
    - Boss bottled #6
    - Bvlgari Extreme
    - Chanel Allure Homme
    MASCULINE:
    - D & G Pour Homme
    - RL POLO Black
    Own/Tried: Bvlgari Black, Dreamer, Boss Bottled, Allure Homme, D&G Pour Homme, JPG, RL Black - none of them match what I'm going for, albeit, RL Polo Black would be closets. A bit too aquatic, not serious enough though. Thank you for your recommendations!

NIGHT TIME:
    - JOOP! HOMME
    - Bvlgari Black
    - Versace The Dreamer
    ELEGANT
    - Boss bottled #6
    - Bvlgari Extreme
    - Chanel Allure Homme
    MASCULINE:
    - D & G Pour Homme
    - RL POLO Black

Night: Dior Homme Intense.
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme.
    FM Musc Ravageur.

Elegant: Serge Lutens Chergui.
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale.

Masculine: D&G Pour Homme.
    Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    MFK Lumiere Noir

Musc Ravegeur
    L'Instant Guerlain ( Extreme )

3 in 1

Sur la Plage

Tiffany for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Its not an "aquatic," but try Kiton Black if you can find it
    I smell better than you.

Try Habit Rouge in the eau de parfum.

Others: Richard James EDT and Canali Black Diamond EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa.
    Michael Kors for men.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree! Some say similar to Tiffany for Men...I have never tried Tiffany for Men.
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    MFK Lumiere Noir
    I'm curious about the private blends. Haven't tried an yet though. And whats MFK?

^Maison Francis Kurkdjian^
    I smell better than you.

L'instant Extreme

Definitely sniff that one out.

Other choices:
    Allure Homme
    Amen Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense (not very masculine though)

Hi guys,
    With a tux, I'd probably drag out Knize Ten, Knize Two, or C&S No. 88 myself.

Some other things you might be able to find samples of: Domenico Caraceni 1913, Montale Black Aoud or Fougeres Marines, MPG Route du Vetiver or Parfum d'Habit.

Histoires de Parfum 1828 ( hope I've got the year right ) an aquatic but so much more!

Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Mark Birley Charles Street
    Anything by Clive Chrisian
    Chevalier D'Orsay

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur cuir?

Excuse me if someone has said this already, but I'm surprised Midnight in Paris hasn't been mentioned.

encre noir by lalique

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    M7
    Givenchy Gentleman or Monsieur de Givenchy