Code of Conduct

Default Sense of smell mature with age?

Hey guys.

I kinda already know the answer, but does your sense of small mature with age?

Its just that, I don't want to get some of those expensive colognes until I can appreciate them more.

I'm only 18 you see.

I'm hoping that within the next few years, I will grow to appreciate certain frags more.

Default Re: Sense of smell mature with age?

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    Hey guys.

Its just that, I don't want to get some of those expensive colognes until I can appreciate them more.

I'm only 18 you see.

I'm hoping that within the next few years, I will grow to appreciate certain frags more.
    I guess you can call it that. Your tastes change. When you get older, things that you thought were disgusting as a kid actually start becoming pleasant for some reason - Black Coffee, Scotch, Cigars, Stinky Cheeses, Caviar. And things you liked as a kid lose much of their appeal - Kool Aid, Yoohoos, Bubble Gum, Snow Cones, Cotton Candy, etc.
    Last edited by adonis; 25th July 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Most likely, the sense of smell does evolve with age, as does a certain "selective memory", an additional mental and emotional acuity towards several fragrance notes, fragrance houses

Adonis and Ken_Russell said pretty much all.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

you could compare the nose to the muscle. use it, and it will remain in decent condition until you'll get old. train it, and it will grow.

most cases of so called anosmia aren't anosmia. they are just people who never learned to use their sense of smell. this can be helped with just some simple regular exercise, blind smelling kitchen spices for instance, learning to recognize them.

people who become professional perfumes do the same. they train their noses.

i guess so, your taste also changes.

Im pretty sure your nose o my grows in size, anatomically and medically your sense of smell doesn't change but taste wise it would if you expose it to more complex (non commercial) perfumes.

I always suggest Lorenzo Villoresi as a "nose opener". It'll definitely advance your sense of smell lol.

for swap/sale:

In my experience, sense of smell matured with :

More sampling
    More thinking
    More reading
    More time
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I think so, but thinking about my family, you are probably born to like some things, too.
    Me- openminded about scents, like a lot of different stuff, but also very upset by bad smells (bad breath and stuff)
    The Man - can smell the milk to see if it's gone off, or sniff around to find the dead animal or the cat pee, but annoyed by most perfumes, very closed-minded about most scents.
    Oldest daughter (19) - likes simple smells and a few perfumes but not openminded about 'em.
    Second daughter (17) - openminded about smells, likes masculines and unusual smells.
    Third daughter (7) - simple sweet smells only - vanilla, very light sweet florals and chocolate scents.
    Youngest daughter (4) - openminded about smells, likes spicy and floral and sweet, asks by name for Tabac Aurea, which I do not think of as a 4-year old smell.

Taste I think works the same, it evolves as we grow, but it's easier for me to like odd foods because I always liked variety and ate wierd stuff, and out of my kids the oldest has always liked spicy food, like I do, and the youngest likes kalamata olives and other things I'd not think that a little would like, but does not like spicy.

So some of it is inborn, and some is learning. Like anything I guess. I don't think you are wasting your money if you get a more complex or 'older' scent, you may appreciate it a lot, especially if it includes some stuff you are already drawn to.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    Hey guys.

For the most part yes.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I guess you can call it that. Your tastes change. When you get older, things that you thought were disgusting as a kid actually start becoming pleasant for some reason - Black Coffee, Scotch, Cigars, Stinky Cheeses, Caviar. And things you liked as a kid lose much of their appeal - Kool Aid, Yoohoos, Bubble Gum, Snow Cones, Cotton Candy, etc.
    +1 Holy crap, get out of my head.