Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: END OF THE WORLD = 09/2011!? Reformulation of dior homme intense..

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    I genuinely hope this is what happens with the current formulations, and with any luck it will be an ambitious company looking to undercut the current big name labels. Wouldn't it be nice if, say, DHI suddenly was selling for cheaper under a different name than the Dior label? I won't hold my breath, but hopefully there will be some way to keep some of these fragrances available.

Well i don't think this has ever happened before in history for another fragrance so this will be the first time

Post Thanks / Like

World really should end and stop being like this...

Post Thanks / Like

any place I can try a sample of this? Looks like it is fast becoming the new Pure Malt of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    any place I can try a sample of this? Looks like it is fast becoming the new Pure Malt of the internet.
    The perfumedcourt sells samples of this as well as some ebay sellers.
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...MEINTENSE.aspx

Although this is a perfectly safe blind buy because if you don't like it you can easily sell it and get your money back and probably more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope this helps a little bit.

"Thank you for contacting Dior Beauty.

Dior has an in-house perfumer, Francois Demachy, who is in charge of all
    fragrance development as well as making sure that all of our fragrances
    have the best and highest quality ingredients. Dior has many exclusive
    relationships with gardens around the world, where they source many of our
    fragrance ingredients. His goal is always have the best quality fragrance,
    this often requires some reformulation when better ingredients can be
    sourced. I hope this answers your question. Any reformulation is usually
    subtle and the essence of the fragrance shouldn't change - though we
    understand that our customers are very loyal to their fragrances and will
    often be able to note a change in a fragrance. Please let us know if you
    have any further questions."

Standard PR email, but it looks like they are saying they won't change it a lot. (I wonder if they said the same thing for Miss Dior Cherie)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diorhommeintense View Post
    Hope this helps a little bit.

"Thank you for contacting Dior Beauty.

Dior has an in-house perfumer, Francois Demachy, who is in charge of all
    fragrance development as well as making sure that all of our fragrances
    have the best and highest quality ingredients. Dior has many exclusive
    relationships with gardens around the world, where they source many of our
    fragrance ingredients. His goal is always have the best quality fragrance,
    this often requires some reformulation when better ingredients can be
    sourced. I hope this answers your question. Any reformulation is usually
    subtle and the essence of the fragrance shouldn't change - though we
    understand that our customers are very loyal to their fragrances and will
    often be able to note a change in a fragrance. Please let us know if you
    have any further questions."

Standard PR email, but it looks like they are saying they won't change it a lot. (I wonder if they said the same thing for Miss Dior Cherie)
    but the september 2011 reformulation will be completely different scent. i mean it has like pears or some fruit like that.

i doubt it'll smell anything like the current dior homme intense.

agreed about the PR stunt, obviously they won't admit that it'll change big

this is encouraging and points to no major notes changes!!!

Last week I bought a bottle of DHI and it smelled different from the juice in the tester.
    I tested it a few times on paper and my skin and I never got any vanilla or cocoa.
    The powdery smell lasted for about four hours. When the powder faded away all what was left was a faint, weak not so pleasant smell.
    So I decided to bring the bottle back to the store.
    I explained why I wanted to return the bottle (because it didn't smell the same as the tester) and asked them what could be done about it.
    The SA told me that she would contact Dior for me.
    Today I got a call from the SA and Dior told her that they had reformulated DHI in march.
    The SA had no prior knowledge to this fact and now they are going to change the testers in the store.
    So most of the new stock in Europe will be the reformulated juice.
    This is bad news since I really would like to get my hands on the "vintage" DHI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    Last week I bought a bottle of DHI and it smelled different from the juice in the tester.
    I tested it a few times on paper and my skin and I never got any vanilla or cocoa.
    The powdery smell lasted for about four hours. When the powder faded away all what was left was a faint, weak not so pleasant smell.
    So I decided to bring the bottle back to the store.
    I explained why I wanted to return the bottle (because it didn't smell the same as the tester) and asked them what could be done about it.
    The SA told me that she would contact Dior for me.
    Today I got a call from the SA and Dior told her that they had reformulated DHI in march.
    The SA had no prior knowledge to this fact and now they are going to change the testers in the store.
    So most of the new stock in Europe will be the reformulated juice.
    This is bad news since I really would like to get my hands on the "vintage" DHI.
    The plot thickens with all the shenanigans that has been going on with this much beloved fragrance.lol

The new one due in September has Pear and ambrette in the mix which should make the scent a fruity musky concoction, is that what you picked up? If not I only know of one other reformulation from the 2007 original but which has the black tube and ring around the top. Do not know when that came out but I have it and I get the vanille/cocoa magic.

I do not trust the reps because everyone has got a story that differs. It makes you want to bang your ahead up against a wall, sorry you been messed about on buying a decent bottle. Maybe it was a bad bottle.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 2nd August 2011 at 06:45 PM.

My bottle also had the black tube and ring but there was no vanilla or cocoa in that bottle.
    My nose isn't all that sophisticated so the pear might be there but I couldn't detect it. All I got was powder, powder, powder for four hours.
    I remember waking up at night, taking a sniff at my arm and thinking this is really bad.
    That Dior feels the need to reformulate a fragrance is one thing but not informing the shops who sell their product is a very bad move.
    The shops have the testers with the old juice in it so Dior really don't care about their customers who will buy a bottle of the reformulated DHI instead of the DHI that they tested and liked.

Hmm that's odd. I just got my bottle from strawberrynet with the black ring and it smells just like the sample I had with the great vanilla/cocoa in it.

This is a powdery fragrance indeed so maybe your nose just picks it up more than others or the bottle you bought was just off.

I know there is a lot of powder in DHI and that is not the problem.
    The problem is in the drydown.
    There is just no cacao or vanilla in the bottle I bought.
    Dior admitted to having changed the fragrance in march so I suppose they took the vanilla and cacao out at that time.
    I am getting my money back (they hardly ever give money back in the Netherlands so my complaint must have been valid) so I am going to try to find a good bottle.
    I also tried a few sprays from a tester with the black ring and that one still had the vanilla cacao in it.

The fact that Oliver Polge isn't mentioned as the perfumer is enough evidence for me, to have a different perfumer duplicate the original is highly unlikely IMO

I went to Boots today to test Dior Homme and the Intense version.

I talked to the sales rep, who told me that the tester bottles are replaced weekly. (High turnover).

It had cocao and vanilla in it, which was very evident after a few hours had gone by on the paper strip.

I think people are over-reacting. Given my earlier comments I think the fragrance will be fine in the future and the notes will not be changed drastically.

I have already pointed out that the original Fragrantica article is not very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by purplelavender View Post

I talked to the sales rep, who told me that the tester bottles are replaced weekly. (High turnover).

It had cocao and vanilla in it, which was very evident after a few hours had gone by on the paper strip.

I think people are over-reacting. Given my earlier comments I think the fragrance will be fine in the future and the notes will not be changed drastically.

I have already pointed out that the original Fragrantica article is not very reliable.
    Awww.... youre no fun!

I dont think you get it. We WANT.... we NEED...to be hysterical about this. Its our way of having fun...

Have you ever considered that they may still have a stockpile of old tester bottles? I can't recall if the tester bottles you saw were the newer versions.

Post Thanks / Like

The article stated that the reformulation will not be out until September, so you did not smell the new bottles.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

i was merely replying to the suggestions that the current bottles are already vastly changed, which isn't the case + the article is flawed.

Dior Homme Intense used to be a limited edition. Now it's getting a 150ml bottle indicating it's here to stay for a long time. why would they completely change the fragrance? It's not going to sell any more if it's completely different.

it's not like vanilla and cocoa are hard to get hold off.

guerlain's l'instant homme extreme uses both ingredients and sells for a similar price at much lower volumes.

plus jude law doesn't do pears. ( i made that one up :-))

Post Thanks / Like

Now it's getting a 150ml bottle indicating it's here to stay for a long time.
    [/I]
    Is this true? A monster bottle of Dior Homme Intense? What is this world coming to?
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Yes released on 5th September in the UK. 78.

EgoCryptic

[post removed]
    Last edited by Grant; 18th August 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Yes released on 5th September in the UK. 78.
    Based on that, it sounds like it'll no longer be an EDP but an EDT Intense. Just throwing it out there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I do not have any other sources but I pray you are right and they are not changed. We will have to wait and see.

On another note the fragrance reps in England and I have been to a lot from Harrods to Selfridges, Boots etc are bloody awful at their job. We could all do a better job and have more knowledge than them.lol
    For sure - Dior especially. A while ago I randomly tested a few scents on my skin but forgot what I'd sprayed on my left wrist after I'd done the rounds a couple of hours later. I went back to Debenhams (Birmingham) to see if any reps knew what it was, one of the Dior reps said "oh, it's definitely not a Dior fragrance" Turns out it was motherfucking Dior Homme.

Then last week I went to the Dior counter in Selfridges and the woman rep was aware of the change, but only in so far as a new size was coming out (150ml). She also looked at me puzzled when I mentioned the make-up and cocoa scents in DHI and just thought it was "woody".

Department stores should hire solely from basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    For sure - Dior especially. A while ago I randomly tested a few scents on my skin but forgot what I'd sprayed on my left wrist after I'd done the rounds a couple of hours later. I went back to Debenhams (Birmingham) to see if any reps knew what it was, one of the Dior reps said "oh, it's definitely not a Dior fragrance" Turns out it was motherfucking Dior Homme.

Then last week I went to the Dior counter in Selfridges and the woman rep was aware of the change, but only in so far as a new size was coming out (150ml). She also looked at me puzzled when I mentioned the make-up and cocoa scents in DHI and just thought it was "woody".

Department stores should hire solely from basenotes!
    LOL! Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know if US distribution will be more widespread come September, regardless of reformulation? I called the Dior boutique in Vegas to see if they stocked this as I wanted to sample it, but they said that only one boutique in the US carries it, and they believe that is in California. Conversely, they do carry another scent I'm planning to test, Granville, and they claim that there are only one or two US locations that stock it (they thought the NYC boutique also had it).

I'm hoping that with the presumed push they are giving DHI it will be more widely available, and not just at a single location in the US. I find that distribution pattern a bit puzzling and hope it changes.

If you read the reviews on fragrantica somebody already smelled the new DHI, he says it's different but very good. "to the untrained nose this may smell similiar to the original"-fragrantica

Yesterday I went to the store that sold me the bottle of DHI to collect my refund. While I was there I spoke with the storemanager. She had also sampled the bottle I returned and she agreed with me that it smelled different. According to her it was less pronounced and full-bodied.
    They told me that Dior didn't send them any new testers so they were still using an old tester.
    I don't see why Dior would lie about having changed it in march when they didn't.
    That makes no sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

What probably happened is they did reformulate it, but not change it, as they are with the new version. The march reformulation was probably like most houses do where they find a way to make it cheaper and smell the same. With regard to your bottle, it could've just been a skunked bottle that was stored improperly at one point, or spoiled somehow.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Aren't we talking about two different things? Major perfume houses change ingredients occasionally, but try to keep the same scent -- that's what happened with DHI in March. On the other hand, they occasionally update a fragrance and try to produce a slightly different scent -- the dreaded reformulation, which for DHI is supposed to happen in September. It's not surprising some with sensitive noses detected the March change, especially for a fragrance as beloved as Dior Homme Intense; but I suppose Dior didn't publicize it because it viewed the March change as just a minor ingredient variation.

Post Thanks / Like

You never know but the new formula may smell even better!? There have been several new fragrance released recently with a pear accord (Ciel d' Airan, Hutieme Art and Ginger Pear, Illuminum) pear has a similar cool bitter sweetness that I imagine might substitute for cocoa in a fragrance. Dior Homme Intense doesn't smell strongly of cocoa, I think it just adds a bitter sweetness and Ambrette for amber (is always a blend anyway) could be nice. . . . I am out the door looking for original Dior Homme Intense - just in case in doesn't work out!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    You never know but the new formula may smell even better!? There have been several new fragrance released recently with a pear accord (Ciel d' Airan, Hutieme Art and Ginger Pear, Illuminum) pear has a similar cool bitter sweetness that I imagine might substitute for cocoa in a fragrance. Dior Homme Intense doesn't smell strongly of cocoa, I think it just adds a bitter sweetness and Ambrette for amber (is always a blend anyway) could be nice. . . . I am out the door looking for original Dior Homme Intense - just in case in doesn't work out!
    From your mouth to Gods ears that the new formula may smell better. The drydown of cocoa and vanilla is what makes DHI the masterpiece it is, so I'm pessimistic

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    From your mouth to Gods ears that the new formula may smell better. The drydown of cocoa and vanilla is what makes DHI the masterpiece it is, so I'm pessimistic
    Agreed, there's no way I'm going to enjoy the new reformulated version over the current juice.

The original Dior Homme is been reformulated as well. The iris is going to be less and the cocoa more amplified but not to the extent in the Intense. This looks like the only consolation prize we have along with bottles of the current formula that will still be around for a little while longer.

Someone should compile a list of all the cool cocao/vanille fragrances and maybe we will all find a suitable replacement for the future besides Guerlains L'Instant Extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my 100ml back-up bottle! Now @DAX has indicated I only have until October 21 to use it all up! Die young and leave a beautiful smelling corpse

This will be much more watered down, I mean pear?? seriously wtf , pear really doesnt have much of scent , besides a slight citrus tartness about it. I think they are just trying to make this very commercial and turn it into their rendition of L'homme.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered another two 100ml bottles! Can't be doing without this one!

If I find a strawberrynet coupon, I'm definitely getting another 100ml for backup.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost a Saturday Night Live Sketch for DHI...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phm18...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I just received my 100ml from strawberry.com and here it is compared to the old. I have an old empty 100ml too - same collar as the 50ml. The juice is different to my nose - and to my daughter's. The new is less sweet and more fruity. I haven't worn the new yet...

Post Thanks / Like

^ Damn!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 100ml from Strawberrynet too. Should be arriving this week.

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome dude! Hehe
    I like the comment below "I think my penis would just run off and start dancing with people on its own. " hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Almost a Saturday Night Live Sketch for DHI...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phm18...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

so I guess the juice has already been reformulated?
    damn that sucks
    i ordered mine from strawberrynet like july 22nd. expecting it sometime this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Please elaborate more Sparky!? How does the new one measure up?

Post Thanks / Like

At this stage I haven't given it a wearing, only sniffed from the bottle. It's definitely similar, and still smells like DHI, but no idea about projection, silage or drydown. For all I know it could be the aforementioned March reformulation, rather than the big scary one. I'll wear it soon and get back to you.... not today though - I'm Oud-ing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Ok. I just received my 100ml from strawberry.com and here it is compared to the old. I have an old empty 100ml too - same collar as the 50ml. The juice is different to my nose - and to my daughter's. The new is less sweet and more fruity. I haven't worn the new yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I haven't worn the new yet.
    I'll say it again. There has been no change.
    And, guys, we've been through this ... Refer to post 80-84.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/280...mulation/page2
    Last edited by neal; 8th August 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't the recreation listed in the fragrantica article. This is the reformulation (not re-creating) that occurred some time earlier this year or last year.
    Splits!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    This isn't the recreation listed in the fragrantica article. This is the reformulation (not re-creating) that occurred some time earlier this year or last year.
    It may very well have been reformulated ('tweaked-yet-not-completely-recreated') - my point is there is absolutely no discernable difference.
    From another thread...

I received my bottle of DHI from Strawberrynet a few days ago. What I received had the black tube, black collar and black sprayer.
    This is the supposed 'tweaked-yet-not-completely-reformulated' version of DHI.
    I have been comparing this new bottle with sample from the original 2007 juice for the past three days. There is no difference. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
    So I have to respectfully, yet emphatically disagree with Gido.
    I feel this fall into the same category as Havana's repackaging a couple of years back...
    Last edited by neal; 8th August 2011 at 12:03 AM.

I agree with neal. I also tested the bottle I received from strawberrynet against my old sample, one on each wrist. They smelled exactly alike to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrydown View Post
    I agree with neal. I also tested the bottle I received from strawberrynet against my old sample, one on each wrist. They smelled exactly alike to me.
    The proof is in the wearing
    And yes, I still haven't worn the new, but...

I did set my daughter and her friend (both 18, so just for fun really) up with a spray of each on either wrist and a small bowl of coffee beans. They were both watching movies on the couch, so nice controlled environment. They reported both to be very similar, but felt the newer lasted longer and smelled slightly stronger. They also thought the older was richer and the newer fruitier. I would of course defer to seasoned BNer's over teenagers in these matters - so just a bit of fun

I will try it on each wrist tomorrow and post my impressions. I think I can be pretty controlled as I have bottles of each, rather than samples, so can control the spray so application method and amount can be consistent. I'll sniff through my workday and note my impressions.

Interesting that they said fruity given that the new formulation has the pear in it.

Let us know your thoughts on it. By the looks of it, the fragrantica article shows the new bottle having a silver collar like the original formulation and not the black one.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the mall yesterday and found a bottle of DHI at one of those Kiosks in the middle of the mall. It was dusty and way in back so I took a chance that it would be an older silver collar bottle. I got lucky! Anyway came home last night and once again compared this bottle with the newer black collar bottle from Strawberrynet and once again came to the same conclusion. No difference. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my bottle of DHI from strawberrynet. Everything seems legit, I don't have any other DHI to compare to as this is my first DHI purchase, but I couldn't help but notice that it is really, really similar in scent to that of the Dior Homme (the reformulated version with the black tube)

I can easily pick apart the original (silver tube Dior Homme) from Dior Homme Intense, but it's harder to do the same for the reformulated Dior Homme and the DHI.

Especially the first ~30 minute, they smell practically identical to my untrained nose, and the drydown is very similar also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    Just got my bottle of DHI from strawberrynet. Everything seems legit, I don't have any other DHI to compare to as this is my first DHI purchase, but I couldn't help but notice that it is really, really similar in scent to that of the Dior Homme (the reformulated version with the black tube)

I can easily pick apart the original (silver tube Dior Homme) from Dior Homme Intense, but it's harder to do the same for the reformulated Dior Homme and the DHI.

Especially the first ~30 minute, they smell practically identical to my untrained nose, and the drydown is very similar also.
    They're different in many facets.

Post Thanks / Like

elaborate?

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by neal; 9th August 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ya but it feels like they are comparing to the Dior homme before reformulation.

The reformulated DH feels a lot like DHI to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    ya but it feels like they are comparing to the Dior homme before reformulation.

The reformulated DH feels a lot like DHI to my nose.
    Ahh, point taken. Perhaps others could chime in on the black tube Dior Homme. It just starts to get confusing as we were discussing the silver and black collar DHI, not DH.

crvn I hope you are right in that the 2 are very similar. This way I have a great alternative for when my 100ml bottle of DHI runs out.

Post Thanks / Like

they are disturbingly similar to me.

if i continue to feel this way after few more sprays, i'll just sell the intense and get a different scent