Code of Conduct

Default Will I have any trouble flying with 25+ decants?

Finally got around to decanting a good percentage of my collection into 10 ml bottles and right now I have a quart size bag filled with over 25 of them (all of which fit comfortably in the bag and the bag zips per my understanding of the rules). I've looked over the rules about what liquids/sizes are and aren't allowed through security and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be allowed. At the same time, I spent a lot of time and a lot of juice to fill up all of these bottles and I'm still worried about them getting confiscated as this is my first time. Anyone frequently travel with a similarly absurd number of decants and have you ever had any trouble?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Will I have any trouble flying with 25+ decants?

Personally, I would put 3-5 of your most important decants in your carry-on and pack the rest in your checked luggage.
    If you have 10 ml x 25 that's 250 ml, which is in excess of the 100 ml in the 3-1-1 rule. I wouldn't want to have to try to justify it to a TSA yahoo.

From TSA site:
    3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure

Happy Trails!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Personally, I would put 3-5 of your most important decants in your carry-on and pack the rest in your checked luggage.
    If you have 10 ml x 25 that's 250 ml, which is in excess of the 100 ml in the 3-1-1 rule. I wouldn't want to have to try to justify it to a TSA yahoo.

From TSA site:
    3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure

Happy Trails!!
    I'm a bit unclear on that rule. My understanding is that you are allowed as many bottles/containers that will fit comfortably inside a 1 quart bag provided that no individual bottle/container is larger than 3.4 oz. I only filled up each of the decants half the way to be sure, but as they're just glass atomizers I suppose I could just say that they're each 5 ml atomizers so 2.5 ml x 25 would be less than 100 ml. I'm still curious as to other's experiences, but as I am not checking any bags I figure the worst case scenario I would just salvage the Creeds/Chanels and get rid of the decants of cheaper bottles if they tell me I can't bring them all

Sur la Plage

You can bring them all on as long as they all fit in the quart size bag. The rule is that each bottle must be 100ml or less - there is no rule for the total amount of all of the bottles. I am assuming you will check any other items (toothpaste, shaving cream, etc.).

I travel every week for work, and carry all of my decants with me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Yes - I travel like that all the time. It is fine. I pack my quart bag until it barely closes. However, many of mine are actually de-carded official sample vials and minis, so they look somewhat official. The rest are labeled with the frag name on the atomizer. And I often have a carded sample or two in there as well, which adds authenticity and identification as a fragrance.

I have never been prohibited on board with such a quart bag, and the security people seem to have run into this enough by now, that they often don't even pay it any mind. But my first time, I was pulled aside and my quart bag carefully examined. After a minute, they understood that I was for real, and sent me on my way. No trouble after that time.

Be prepared to have one decant randomly sprayed. When they did mine, they chose "Havana". Also, be prepared to defend your contents as "flyable", and to take any objections both to the supervisor, and the supervisor's supervisor. I've never had to do this, but the confident willingness to do so seems to prevent any questioning of the legitimacy of my decants. With TSA, it helps to know the rules as well as they do. I have heard of people being told on occasion that something legit would not fly, e.g., that 3.4 oz was "over" the 3-oz limit. The truth is, the limit is 100 mL, or 3.4 oz. The 3.4 has simply been dumbed down for us stoopid 'mer'cans. If you bring back a bottle or two or three, deboxed and in the quart bag, that's when you need to be ready to debate.

Blog Entries

PS - be sure to pack some kind of plastic box or container to put your bag in after passing security. This will prevent damage during the next hurdle - packing into luggage compartments or under the seat. Failure to do this can mean that you have to warn the steward not to crush your cologne samples when they rearrange your bag.

Flying civilized is quite an adventure these days.

Thanks for the detailed answers, will report back with what happens. Just to be safe I am peeling off the label from the Aventus atomizer and replacing it with a label that says "Axe Body Spray" in case some overzealous agent should want to sample the latest hyped offering from the Creed house

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answers, will report back with what happens. Just to be safe I am peeling off the label from the Aventus atomizer and replacing it with a label that says "Axe Body Spray" in case some overzealous agent should want to sample the latest hyped offering from the Creed house
    *cackle, cackle*

On second thought, we're talking TSA here. You may want to reconsider that plan.

Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 26th July 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: visual aids added

Blog Entries

Anything out of the normal is really upto the personnel you get. With that many bottles, even though not violating the rule, I'd expect the person to atleast have a "wait a minute" moment and get his/her supervisor involved.

Once I travelled with 3 perfume bottles that did fit into the zip lock bag amongst other things. But that is not a normal thing (especially when youre just making a trip for the weekend). It rightly raised a red flag for her, and she called for her supervisor. Some people might have put it down to profiling or discrimination as it is still under the rules. I simply put it down to her doing her job properly.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I do it weekly in my carry-on. I tend to check my bag if I'm taking multiple bottles, but that's more out of the hassle of taking them all out of my bag. I actually took about 20 decants from Mudassir back a few weeks ago and even that was no issue. And this is all traveling from CA to US and vise versa.

A piece of advice - being friendly and courteous to the TSA staff goes a long way.

I just flew across continents from EU to Malaysia, and there is a 100ml max limit per bottle, and all liquids must fit in a 1000ml max seal-able clear pastic bag. This may seem a lot but it isn't. So what I did was to handcarry my L'Humaniste bottle, and place all my other decants in my check-in luggage. I sealed them all with sellotape, and then placed them in sandwich bags, and then in between clothes, and then in a box Now I have all my summery Creed decants of VIW, MI, SMW, Aventus with me on an island woot!

Better safe than sorry! Enjoy your flight

Quote Originally Posted by Cahrin View Post
    A piece of advice - being friendly and courteous to the TSA staff goes a long way.
    Never hurts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Some people might have put it down to profiling or discrimination as it is still under the rules. I simply put it down to her doing her job properly.
    Exactly. People pushing the maximum limit with either a few large bottles or many small vials/atomizers is out of the normal range of things. On one of my flights, a newer agent asked a more experienced one about my frag-bag; the veteran assured him that they had seen this before.

The first time they examined my frags, the agent got a real kick out of my Bulgari Black mini.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

When will they review this crap? The <10ml per bottle limit but no limitations on total volume carried in a quart bag sounds downright arbitrary. Other than extending queue lines & delaying check-ins I doubt if this 'rule' makes flying any safer or 'terrorist-proof'. Forrest Gump probably said it best: Stupid is as stupid does.

But the straight answer to the OP is: it all depends on how you look. If you fit into certain 'profiles'...

Yes you can take them, but if your randomly selected for screening they're going to test every one of them.

Blog Entries

l recently flew from the UK to Greece, taking with me 5 x 5ml decants in my carry-on luggage, with my own labels on, in a ziplock bag. The security staff showed no interest in them whatsoever.

l would hesitate to take as many as 25 with me, though. l would expect that to get some attention, & l prefer to travel with as little hassle as possible.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

"oooooo, oh sexy boy-yoy!" lmao

Great commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    When will they review this crap? The <10ml per bottle limit but no limitations on total volume carried in a quart bag sounds downright arbitrary. Other than extending queue lines & delaying check-ins I doubt if this 'rule' makes flying any safer or 'terrorist-proof'. Forrest Gump probably said it best: Stupid is as stupid does.

But the straight answer to the OP is: it all depends on how you look. If you fit into certain 'profiles'...
    I work for a major international airline company and rumours want this rule to be reviewd somewhere in 2013. They're supposed to introduce new scanners and x-rays able to exactly detect what kind of liquids passengers carry inside their bags. Together with these scanners they will eliminate the "quart size bag" rule. I guess it will take quite a while to upgrade all the security controls around the world.

The funny part is that they will be able to detect wich perfume you're carrying and they'll tell you if it's the current formulation or vintage, fake or original. I see many Creed's lovers becoming Million Milers in a rush

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Whatever you do get there EARLY!

To prepare for the unforseen; such as agents that might not be familiar with the rules and regs. and or getting the "backroom" treatment

Be aware of the
    "Full body cavity searth"
    aggggggghhhh!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I work for a major international airline company and rumours want this rule to be reviewd somewhere in 2013. They're supposed to introduce new scanners and x-rays able to exactly detect what kind of liquids passengers carry inside their bags. Together with these scanners they will eliminate the "quart size bag" rule. I guess it will take quite a while to upgrade all the security controls around the world.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The funny part is that they will be able to detect wich perfume you're carrying and they'll tell you if it's the current formulation or vintage, fake or original. I see many Creed's lovers becoming Million Milers in a rush
    LOL

Don't worry - we would still get threads about "I think my X-ray machine was a fake!"

Quote Originally Posted by redneck perfumisto View Post

lol

Don't worry - we would still get threads about "i think my x-ray machine was a fake!"
    lol

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here