Code of Conduct

Default Once a hater of Amouage Gold, now a lover of Amouage Gold

I had a 2 ml sample of Amouage Gold about 9 months ago, and I tried it at the time and was not a fan of it... it was too weird and thought was too feminine for me... now 9 months later...tried it again...and I'm in love with it... my sense of smell changed...and now acquired to the unique and special scent...
    Last edited by change1; 21st November 2011 at 02:38 AM.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Once a hater of Amouage Gold, now a lover of Amouage Gold

Can someone like SLA give a concise summary on this thread of the different amouage mens scents?

I decanted JUbilation XXV and found it too opulent to be worn by me everyday and to work. Are they all that "heavy"?

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

a house not worthy of the praise IMO

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    now 9 months later...tried it again...and I'm in love with it... my sense of smell changed...and now acquired to the unique and special scent...
    I have experienced the same about face with a number of fragrances but in a shorter interval.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Can someone like SLA give a concise summary on this thread of the different amouage mens scents?

I decanted JUbilation XXV and found it too opulent to be worn by me everyday and to work. Are they all that "heavy"?
    I think "opulent" and "heavy" describe most of their scents. You might want to try Reflection Man, Ciel and Arcus if you want to get to the lighter stuff.

I'll leave the rundown for a house expert....

Gold is my favorite too. Plus, I like florals for the boys. Opulent is the right word. Unfortunately, most of the recent crop is less than opulent, and to me not worth the price.

cameron:
    Gold man is much more opulent than Jub XXV. Jub XXV is intense incense, very radiant. But Gold man is incense + tons of flowers + civet in the base. Ubar is similarly grand; on my to buy list.

A step below, at the same level of opulence as Jub XXV, I'd put Epic man and Lyric man (rose-oud and rose, respectively). Less opulent, but I like it a lot too, is Dia, a somber woody. Silver is a strange fresh semi-citrus, natural smelling but somehow giving the impression of a shiny, sharpened sword; unsettling. I like the others much less, they're definitely simpler and more "modern", exploring various notes (pepper, etc); but other people like them, so they may help here.

But why should one go modern with Amouage? As change1, I would simply embrace the grandeur and go with Gold man or Ubar.

cacio

The beauty in Amouage Gold Man takes an experienced nose understand and appreciate... After being exposed to many fragrance and training my nose to distinguish each note in a fragrance... Amoage Gold Man is more than just floral to me now... I smell all the other notes that I did not smell 9 months ago...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

The only thing I could think about wearing Amouage Gold is Pampers and baby powder. Horrible IMO.
    - Expect the unexpected

The beauty in Amouage Gold Man takes an experienced nose understand and appreciate... After being exposed to many fragrance and training my nose to distinguish each note in a fragrance... Amoage Gold Man is more than just floral to me now... I smell all the other notes that I did not smell 9 months ago...
    I'm very pleased to be able to wear and enjoy Amouage Gold when the mood strikes as well. It's well within my floral range.

Martin

The beauty in Amouage Gold Man takes an experienced nose understand and appreciate

I do love my Amouages, the house of Amouages is fantastic, artistic, Gold is an opulent scent and like most of Amouages not for everybody, thanks GOD for that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I completely disagree; in fact I think it's one of the few niche houses that deserves praise.

Glad you came around, change1. Gold Man is a great scent though I can see how it could be too far out for some.

One of my favorite houses is Amouage....I wanted to like Gold but when I get to the dry down, it turns "pissy" on me. =(

It smelled like Chanel #5 when I first tried it a year ago and it smells like Chanel #5 today.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

It smelled like Chanel #5 when I first tried it a year ago and it smells like Chanel #5 today.
    Chanel #5, yes, but with a bulge in her pants.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Chanel #5, yes, but with a bulge in her pants.
    sorry bro, not my thing.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

You're not a Lady Gaga fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    The only thing I could think about wearing Amouage Gold is Pampers and baby powder. Horrible IMO.

+1.... You said just what I was thinking.lol

My last favorite from Amouage. It`s so heavy and opulent, that I can`t think of a situation too wear it.. Maby a dinner with Queen Elisabeth at Buckinham Palace?

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    One of my favorite houses is Amouage....I wanted to like Gold but when I get to the dry down, it turns "pissy" on me. =(
    Hello volley2 - I had the same in the past, in some forum, some gold owner mentioned that if you eat garlic 24 hours before wearing Gold the scent indeed can become "pissy"Folklore or not, I have done the experiment, so no Garlic prior 24 hours and Gave a full wear of Gold and it was beautiful.
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 21st November 2011 at 09:17 PM.

I like Gold, but I prefer the women's Gold ( neither of them are really gendered ), and I prefer Ubar more than either of the Golds.

Definitely give Gold Woman and Ubar a try before taking the plunge on Gold Man. They're all variations on a similar theme, and none of them is really more ''gendered'' than the other.

Probably one of the house most worthy of the praise imo.

Dont care for Gold though, it s not for me. But Lyric, Silver, Jub XXV, Reflection, Opus V and above all of them Epic are fantastic. Not bad considering the total number of fragrances they offer. Amazing house.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du dsert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

Dont care for Gold though, it s not for me. But Lyric, Silver, Jub XXV, Reflection, Opus V and above all of them Epic are fantastic. Not bad considering the total number of fragrances they offer. Amazing house.
    very well said!

double post...

Amouage Gold works best on me when in Vegas. It's the one place where big, opulent and "what ARE you wearing?" are all appropriate things.

Dont like

I generally don't like "powdery" fragrances but the civet makes this a winner for me. I am not a fan however of Amouage prices. Glad to hear you like it though
    I might give my samples another try.....

It's like this:

Trying it for the 1st time now, I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

Well said, the house of Amouage is outstanding. Just looking at your current top 10 in your sig, you have exceptional taste in fragrance.

I'm with you on Gold, it's undoubtedly extremely high quality and luxurious stuff but i just can't get past it's similarity to Johnsons baby oil.

I love civet and many of the notes in Gold, and even enjoy the powdery Dia Man from Amouage, but Gold's dry-down on my skin is an animalic powdery mess that certainly doesn't evoke opulence to me. Vintage Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur are tame.. heck, even vintage Cuir de Russie by Chanel isn't as "dirty" seeming in comparison. To those who understand Gold and love it, good on ya - maybe one day I'll wear it again and join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    My impression too. I just can't stand Gold Man. On the other hand, I do enjoy Ubar, especially the vintage formulation, which I was recently lucky to acquire.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Ubar is amazing stuff. Just like all the best fragrances, it hardly ever gets mentioned on BN.

Awful fragrance and the worst from Amouage imo.

Well.... I loved the opening but I didn't like the drydown as much. It does got MORE powdery as time goes on... The opening of intense florals and civet is amazing and not all that powdery IMO, but too many of the florals go away by drydown. And the unfortunate thing is, I'm guessing most people that aren't into frags would only be able to smell this as pure baby powder after a couple hours on the skin. So unfortunately this is a miss for me, I'll use up my sample when I'm home alone, lol.

I've since come round to both Gold Man and Gold Woman but they perform too close to the skin for my liking. Still, the quality's there, IMHO.

When I sampled it, it was ok. Not the best of the house.

Amouage is my favourite fragrance house side by side with Creed. These two companies complement each other in an excellent way. I had the same experience with Amouage Gold as Change 1. At first I couldn`t imagine ever wearing this fragrance, but now I have change. It`s not a fragrance I would sprinkle myself with, but one single spray on my chest is just perfect. A elegant nice attire is imperative. To wear this scent with a casual attire / t-shirt etc would be totaly unsuccessful.. For me, Amouage Gold is pure luxury in a bottle, and great for formal occasions.

The most expensive fragrance that I've tried that I've hated the most.

Gold is an audacious masterpiece.
    Last edited by Alvus; 14th August 2012 at 04:51 AM.

Amouage Gold = Chanel No. 5 for Men.

A wonderful, if difficult to pull off, scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My bottle arrived some days ago. I`m surprised that on my skin it doesn`t seems to be that nuclear sillage monster everyone talks about. Sillage is very good, but both Lyric and Silver seems more powerful and strong. Stayingpower is excellent.

Judging by the notes (well just one in particular), I will certainly pass on this one, but overall, Amouage is nothing short of amazing. Epic Man, Memoir Man, Lyric Man, Jubilation, Honour Man, Reflection Man, and Opus VI are all wonderful. I only find Interlude Man to be an absolute 100% mess.

These are expensive, but the concentration of fragrance gives them a depth and longevity which makes them worth the added price. I am looking forward to trying some of the others from this house that I still don't have.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Priv - Oud Royal
    8. Brckner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird