Code of Conduct

Default odd lot numbers on Creed SMW-- slight chance of a fake?

I received a bottle of SMW in a swap with a fellow basenoter. People mentioned in his/her post that it might be a fake given it came with cellophane packaging. However, the package arrived today and everything appears authentic. I tried doing as much research as possible and couldn't find much of a difference between that and an authentic bottle purchased at fragrancenet.

The real odd part is the lot number on the back of the bottle. Many warnings about fake creeds say that lot number are almost never provided. This has a lot number but I couldn't verify it online and it's different from a legit bottle.

This is either a real creed, the best fake on earth, or I can't tell the difference. I've provided photos below. I'm sorry if they're a drag to see. The real one is on the left and the one I received is on the right in all of the photos.

Default Re: odd lot numbers on Creed SMW-- slight chance of a fake?

Smell it, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Smell it, mate!
    haha. I forgot to write that in. I did test it. It's quite similar although not as strong as the other bottle. it's sublte so I attribute it to the batch... I think. I still suck at this.

Im no expert but it looks good to me. All creed lot #s ive seen have been 8 digit starting with a letter

I'm also no expert but if you search these boards another good sign of a counterfeit creed is the white nozzle. If I remember correctly I think the fake nozzles don't have that white base like the authentic do. Don't quote me on that but if you search you will find more information regarding it.

Lot number of the right one is tied to...Fleurissimo i think? Certainly an oddity, as it should start with x35 like the left one.

I remember seeing this in the sales thread. The guy was selling it for dirt cheap and wouldn't return anyone's PM's. Looks real to me and if it's a fake it's the best one I've seen.

As was said, all of the authentic Creeds I've seen had 8 alpha/num characters. The font on the left looks correct, but not 8 digits; the font on the right looks odd, it also is A17, not A35 as I've seen on SMW. The top of the cap on the left looks correct in that at certain angles and lighting the circle around the crown appears to be a slightly different shade. The top of the top on the right doesn't appear so, could be lighting though. I've also never seen one with the card in cellophane.
    Last edited by PEARL; 28th July 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Oh, just to be clear. The legit one has a more rugged cap because it's been used for a while. The cap on the right side was shinier. I looked at youtube videos comparing fakes and real ones, and the cap looks legit. It looks identical to an authentic creed cap.

I also took a look at the tip of the atomizer . I read that fake ones don't have the white plastic portion right underneath the spray.

The card itself wasn't in cellophane. It was in side the box which was wrapped in cellophane. The cellophane was odd.

The really odd thing to me is the lot number. The lot number matches the box but it's more of a sticker and not on the actual bottle like the on the left.

Even the juice smells fines except it's a bit fainter but not by much. This is so confusing.

It looks fine to me too. Also in no way am I an expert in detecting fakes.

Real

I don't get why people ask this question all the time about fake Creeds when there's one simple way to tell the difference. Put your finger on the sprayer and push down. If it doesn't shoot out like a fire hose it's not a Creed. Simple.

I don't see any signs of fakery, and I have a feeling your perception that the newer bottle is "weaker" could be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, since you had fakery concerns from the outset. I've never had two bottles of the same Creed, especially those with lot numbers showing production dates more than a year apart, smell precisely identical to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I don't see any signs of fakery, and I have a feeling your perception that the newer bottle is "weaker" could be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, since you had fakery concerns from the outset.
    Very very true, I reckon you've got a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I remember seeing this in the sales thread. The guy was selling it for dirt cheap and wouldn't return anyone's PM's. Looks real to me and if it's a fake it's the best one I've seen.
    I responded to no less than a dozen PMs, I realized I undervalued it from all the interest I garnered. But its not like I can redact it, and relist at a higher price. I purchased this from Fragrancenet who to my knowledge does not sell fakes. Ive bought 3 Creeds from them before and they were all legitimate.

I shouldnt have even mentioned I kept the plastic wrap (just trying to show much care I put into keeping it and package in pristine condition) as so many people spazzed out over nothing.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

I agree. This was not a fake. It was a good product. The pics really show nothing to prove it. I just wanted to be sure and in the end it was all real.

I am new to Bassnotes, but I have tried to scan the threads about Creed fakes, lot numbers, and such.

The bottle of SMW, 4 oz, that I just got from FragrenceNet, appears different from the clear bottles, such as Vetiver, in that instead of having the lot number etched into the bottom rim, as shown in this threads initial photos, but, has the lot number etched into the back of the bottle, but higher up, along with a few words. There was an attempt to color the area gold, but the coloring is very faint. The lot number found there matches that of the box.
    Is this considered to be a common way of doing lot numbers on opaque bottles? A fake from FragrenceNet?
    Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by drb123 View Post
    I am new to Bassnotes, but I have tried to scan the threads about Creed fakes, lot numbers, and such.

The bottle of SMW, 4 oz, that I just got from FragrenceNet, appears different from the clear bottles, such as Vetiver, in that instead of having the lot number etched into the bottom rim, as shown in this threads initial photos, but, has the lot number etched into the back of the bottle, but higher up, along with a few words. There was an attempt to color the area gold, but the coloring is very faint. The lot number found there matches that of the box.
    Is this considered to be a common way of doing lot numbers on opaque bottles? A fake from FragrenceNet?
    Thanks for your input!
    The GIT i bought from Walgreens (fulfilled by fragrancenet) also has the lot number etched/written ino the back of the bottle and not on the bottom rim. It smells amazing. i think yours is fine.

Thanks for the reassurance

Though hard to read, the etched lot number is compatible with what has been posted as the norm for SMW,
    A3510K01
    I did notice that on the box, whih had all of the proper spellings, there was, on the bottom, a small writing in Arabic...maybe this bottle was intended to sell in the middle east or do all boxes carry an Arabic statement?

It's fine.

Fragrancenet is a reputable fragrance seller. I've gotten my Creed SMW, Himalaya, and VIW from them without any problems. Sometimes it takes a while for them to ship and their customer service isn't great either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Fragrancenet is a reputable fragrance seller. I've gotten my Creed SMW, Himalaya, and VIW from them without any problems. Sometimes it takes a while for them to ship and their customer service isn't great either.
    A1708B01 has been linked to VIW, SMW, GIT, and Fleurisomo. Does this batch A1708B01 still mean it was produced in 2008, or is that logic thrown out the window too?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought all batch numbers starting with the letter "A" represented a 4 oz bottle?
    Someone on ebay has a 2.5 oz bottle of VIW with the batch code A1708B01 (instead of the regular 2.5 batch codes which start with the letter "C").

It's just a sticker affixed on the outter box.

Could this 2.5 oz still be legit even if the code starts with "A"?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone??

Anyone!

I don't think the first letter really tells the size. I seen 4oz bottles start with other letters besides an A.
    Should be ok.

I guess so. I thought lot numbers were the Holy Grail in determining authenticity. It's kinda hard to do if different Creed share the exact same lot number.

Sorry, wrong thread. Bad bump.
    Last edited by GEN; 2nd July 2014 at 11:24 PM.