Code of Conduct

Default What's the obsession with citrus frags?

Why are so many/ the majority of fragrances, especially summer, citrusy? I realise summer = a cold glass of lemonade but come on man.

Every other fragrance has lemon/orange in it. I don't find it enticing to smell like that. I hate it.

I was wondering how many other people actually enjoy these frags?

Sound Scents

Default Re: What's the obsession with citrus frags?

I am definitely a citrus fragrance fan, but I agree that there seems to be an over-abundance of them on the market with similar notes and smells. Most of the time I find the citruses that suit my personality and tastes best are the classic citruses and/or citruses that have some other compelling non-citrus component to stand out from the generic crowd.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I've said it before - Each to their own...

There's an abundance of all types of fragrances. Just look how many vanilla / tobacco / gourmands are around at the moment. Oud is also massively popular. Maybe you see the abundance of citrus frags, because you aren't too fussed about them, and so the trend is irritating you?

Frag houses pump out, what they feel people will buy and wear.

EDIT: I enjoy citrus in frags, especially in warmer weather for the brightness and refreshing qualities. My only moan is that they usually don't last very long!
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I am definitely a citrus fragrance fan, but I agree that there seems to be an over-abundance of them on the market with similar notes and smells.
    It's just irritating when I read/watch a review and it almost always says "starts out with a burst of citrus". Grrrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by LOST! View Post
    I've said it before - Each to their own...
    Frag houses pump out, what they feel people will buy and wear.
    That's what I was wondering. Do we just take what we're given? Do a lot of people really enjoy the smell of citrus frags or they just have limited options.

I don't think it's so much that "we take what we're given"

I think it's more supply and demand. Citrus frags are popular for a reason. That being that people enjoy them. Simple as that!!

As far as limited options... Maybe you aren't looking hard enough - or in the right places!? Like I said, there's an abundance of all types of fragrance. The fact that you don't particularly like citrus, is what makes the world of fragrance such an interesting and enjoyable world. If we all liked the same smell, then it would be a very bland, linear and boring world. It's like any form of culture. Every one is different, and each to their own!
    LOST! in scent and music

When you say citrus, do you mean lemon? There are some piercing lemony scents that seems to be popular in the summertime, that I don't care for, but what about oranges, blood oranges, mandarin, grapefruit? One that I like very much is Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange, and its filled to the brim with citrus fruits, but the main impression it gives is of a warm orange scent, no sharp daggers of lemon here!

Citrus is pretty broad. Can you provide some examples? Just trying to establish what sort of fragrances you're talking about because I could easily agree or disagree depending upon what you mean.

Citrus = fresh. When you ask most people what they want a fragrance to be it's fresh smelling and especially in the summer. Combine that with the fact that the smell of citrus fruits are universally appealing.

I have a guess: people love citrus fragrances because they aren`t so complex to be understood by the nose. I suspect that the molecules that form citrus essences or citric synthetics are less complex in structure, so the nose can break and decode them easily. And because of their lower density they have that refreshing notion which is a pleasant sensation, so the pleasure and the easy understandable aroma makes it an appealing combination. At past I used to despise this family, but i have noticed after sampling some that a well made citrus fragrance is as good as any other fragrance of other olfactive families.

There is a lot that goes in to answering this question. I think the first part is, there really isn't that big of a disparity between the amount of citrus frags and other scents. A lot of citrus oils are cheap and abundant. Citrus is also highly recognized as a clean, fresh scent (just look at all the citrus scented cleaning supply options) that goes very well in warm weather because it is light and refreshing. Another point is that citrus is undoubtedly a well liked note in fragrances, especially for the summer months. To answer your question, I do enjoy citrus in some of my warm weather scents, I do not blanket hate any note (that I know of). My suggestion would be to do research and find fragrances that you enjoy that do not utilize citrus, there are more options out there than you could possibly try in a lifetime (though Foetidus is trying his best!).
    Last edited by slvrbckgorilla; 29th July 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Many people enjoy fresh, citrusy scents. Don't ask me why, they just do. Fragrance companies take advantage of this fact by top-loading their fragrances with citrus notes to provide a 'hook' with which to initiate sales. That's probably part of the reason why AdG sales far outstrip those of Fahrenheit.

But why do perfumers include them? They don't have to. It could be they were just following their briefs. Or perhaps to offer a more conventional three-layered scent pyramid with some depth as opposed to a flat, linear structure that smells the same from start to finish. Next time you run into a perfumer, be sure to ask this 'why start with citrus' question.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

What can be said..we're a scurvy crew and require a bit of citrus in our lives on occasion.

From Heeley's Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement's through Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green to Dior's Eau Sauvage and all offshoots, laggards and flankers, citrus has many beautiful faces.
    Last edited by kbe; 29th July 2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

The irony on citrus fragrances is that it`s not easy to do an harmonious, complex and longlasting citrus fragrance. And it`s not cheap too, high quality citrus oils are materials very expensive, like neroli and petit grain for instance. And it`s also important to see that you have different ways of producing a citrus aroma. You can explore the floral aspects related to the citric aromas, extend the leafy/herbal sides of smell, goes in a slightly salty and woody direction, make it very bitter, and so on...

I personally love citrus fragrances, especially those containing the more exotic oils.

I love citrus, and some of my favorite frags are citrus-florals-woods.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I suspect that the molecules that form citrus essences or citric synthetics are less complex in structure, so the nose can break and decode them easily.
    The most common molecules on citric fragrances are limonene, citral, nerol, citronellal, citronellol geranial and geraniol, and they are by no means less complex than most other fragrance molecules, and the nose does not "break up molecules", they go thru the olfactory system unaltered.
    Those molecules (limonene. etc.) are strong insecticides and insect repellents (but it can attract honey bees) , and that is their function in the plants, why some humans like them, well that is another story
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 29th July 2011 at 05:16 PM.

You're right about the number of citrus out there. Its difficult to find one that you like and thats quite different from the pack.
    I found one thats not a typical "summer" citrus. I'm referring to Tepardium from Cale

Notes
    Top-Grapefruit,lemon and rum
    Middle-Acacia, Magnolia, Pina Colada
    Bottom-Vetiver, White Musk and green tea

This is a unisex fragrance and I really enjoy. The House of Cale is in Milan and they are very good about sending samples out.
    You can reach them at info@cale.it

You might enjoy it.

Cheers Rex
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

I'm quickly developing a obsession for citrus fragrances as I really enjoy them. I've bought a few recently and sampled a few more. I'm particularly taken with MFK Absolue pour le Matin.

I am definitely a die-hard fan of citrus frags, but far more (even though not limited to) the more classical side like: Chanel pour Monseiur, Eau Sauvage, Armani Eau pour Homme, Loewe para Hombre, Paco Rabanne pour Homme and others along these lines

Just because they're brilliant really.

How no to love Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta ?

They are refreshing, easy to wear, almost universally liked and very versatile...whats not to like?
    -

I have long noted a lot of men love citrus frags, and long for one that is long lasting. Especially see a lot of that with guys new to pursuing frags. Not sure why. But, would float out the premise that fragrances have a long history of putting citrus in the top notes. A better historian of scent may know why/how this happened. As such, a lot of men's scents start with citrus and thus a lot of guys became accustomed to it in the opening notes.

I think with the shift to lighter male scents in the 90s, citrus was an easy go to.

It's fresh, light and clean. A lot of guys like that.

Last May, during the SF Sniff, we went to Nordstrom hear Ineke Ruhland talk about her fragrances. She mentioned that many fragrances contain citrus because they're cheap, natural and smell great, so why not? They're strictly top notes, however, and don't last very long.

If you don't like citrus, don't buy fragrances that have them. For example, Annick Ménardo fragrances tend not to have top notes, and they generally don't use citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Last May, during the SF Sniff, we went to Nordstrom hear Ineke Ruhland talk about her fragrances. She mentioned that many fragrances contain citrus because they're cheap, natural and smell great, so why not? They're strictly top notes, however, and don't last very long.
    Good note....as noted OP, bear in the citrus in most scents is in the opening only, so learn to focus on sample wearing tO get the true personality of the scent. If you hate citrus, keep in mind it flees pretty quickly.

Making snap judgments in stores is not the way to find scents you like.