Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Egoiste and Caron 3eme Homme - Similarities? Which do you prefer?

Good morning all - I'm looking to expand a nascent collection with something rather different. I received a sample of Egoiste and 3eme Homme and, apart from the sandalwood, both seem very similar. Thoughts? Both are pleasantly sweet (jasmine in both?) and on one arm (apart from the sandalwood) it's hard to tell where Egoiste ends and Homme begins.

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste and Caron 3eme Homme - Similarities? Which do you prefer?

For me their smell is quite different, they share their construction in some way. Egoiste is more about the rose for my nose and Le 3º Homme more about jasmine and carnation.

Both have great sillage and are longlasting, but i prefer the Third Man by a long shot. Egoiste is likely to get more votes here and it may be easier to wear (not for me anyway) but I feel Le 3º Homme more unique and classy (against actual Egoiste, don't know the vintage cologne concentree version).

If you love both smell i would tell you to choose Le 3º Homme...it's at least as good and it's cheaper too!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste and Caron 3eme Homme - Similarities? Which do you prefer?

I don't think you can go too far wrong either way. They're both wonderful. They don't really smell alike to me, but they do share that ample, strapping qualities of the masculines of their era (3me homme, 1985--bois noir, from which egoiste derives, 1987.) i know 90% of all basenoters answer to the either/or question is, 'Get both. And maybe these other 4 as well.' We're the admittedy enthusiastic.

3me homme is so inexpensive, like its siblings Yatagan and pour un Homme that i worry that i should hoard. Why are they so cheap? Should i stock up against discontinuation? The Chanel is bit pricier and harder to find, i believe.

My take on each. Egoiste is beautiful. A fruity, woody pseudo-oriental notable primarily for its richness. 3me Homme has a full helping of the coumarin darkness of the classic fougere, but the endearing beauty of a potent jasmine floral. 3me Homme is my favorite fougere ever.

All that is to say, if you can swing it, get both whenever you can. Of yeah, get Yatagan, too...
    jtd

I second jtd in his opinion, both are great and excellent choices but to me it's impossible to point a clear winner. Egoiste is easier to wear. And as a Caron fan, beyond Yatagan and Pour un Homme, there is another suggestion: L'Anarchiste.

I have and like both but I prefer Egoiste.

Sur la Plage

I don't find them similar. I prefer Egoiste - even better yet, Egoiste Concentree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Both very different and both very good. In the past, I preferred Egoist Concentree, but my tastes have changed some and now ( out of the 2 of them ), I only keep the original 3rd Man in my rotation.

Not similar. Egoiste opens with a very sweet and high-pitched citrus/rosewood combo, and the floral woody notes emerge later. Third Man opens with a "plump" lavender and transforms into a somewhat strange dirty floral ambery accord.

I don't particularly love either of them, but I can say they're not similar. I suppose if I had to go with one, it would be Egoiste.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Own and love both. No similarities to me either. I'd probably start with Egoiste.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Pretty different to me. I prefer Egoiste.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

From a cost per ml basis The 3rd Man wins hands down. From an olfactory standpoint to me they are quite different, The 3rd Man being much dryer and deeply spiced among other things than the succulently sweet Egoiste. I find I enjoy both for their high quality but totally different notes.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't find them similar. I prefer Egoiste - even better yet, Egoiste Concentree.
    Joe. 10 points for the best answer. THANK YOU.

Both of them are great and worth owning but if it's a question of what to buy, I say Egoiste all the way.

i would pick egoiste, though i admit it is slightly more casual than 3rd man, the 3rd man is more formal and pretty, it smells more like potpourri, where as egoiste dries down to more vanillic cinnamon with hints of rose in the back. Both are great though of course

they both have this candied sweet vibe. only that.

My vote goes for Le Troisieme by Caron.

Completely different scents to my nose. I couldn't pull off Third Man, so I swapped it off. But it is a nice fragrance. I found Egoiste more to my liking.

How are people still receiving authentic bottles of Chanel Egoiste, wasn't it discontinued a long time ago? Even holt renfrew doesn't hold it here.

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    How are people still receiving authentic bottles of Chanel Egoiste, wasn't it discontinued a long time ago? Even holt renfrew doesn't hold it here.
    I believe its distribution has been limited, but it is not discontinued. It is readily available online. I got my bottle maybe a year or two ago.

I think they are quite different. I have both and love both but more often than not I reach for 3eme. Egoiste is a little to elegant for everyday wear. 3eme is my swiss army knife of my collection - i will never be without a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    I think it was put into limited distribution in the US but Chanel discontinued it in the EU - it quite hard to find it in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I think it was put into limited distribution in the US but Chanel discontinued it in the EU - it quite hard to find it in Europe.
    i wouldn't know why they would discontinue it in the EU and not US since people are more into fragrances in the EU.

You probably know there are many fake bottles of Chanels that are manufactured, so if say Chanel has officially discontinued Egoiste, how do you know that the Egoiste you are getting is not a fake since only the fakes will be in production.

Basenotes Member

I like them both and get a smokiness in each that's similar. I think I prefer Egoiste as it's a little more versatile for me. The smokiness in 3eme homme seems almost overpowering at times.

I've seen Egoiste at Bloomingdales here in the US, so it's still certainly around and authentic. I haven't paid attention in Italy.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Widely available in italy!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have and like both but I prefer Egoiste.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I've seen Egoiste at Bloomingdales here in the US, so it's still certainly around and authentic. I haven't paid attention in Italy.

cacio

Does anybody have an old bottle of Egoiste? How does it compare to the current juice that is selling now?

Can't find it anywhere in Canada.

Gentlemen,

Don't make such a big deal about purchasing Egoiste. You can buy directly from Chanel's Website.

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragranc...-Égoïste-88418