Code of Conduct

Default How Do I Find Out What I am Allergic To? Please Help!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I could really do with some help. I have always loved wearing fragrance but recently I have developed an allergic reaction to many of my favorites. The reaction is always the same, I come out in a red patchy very itchy rash where I spray it, never straight away but over a period of a few hours.

As I say I am quite new to all this, all the culprits seem to have the same "fresh" "smell" in them to varying degrees and the reaction goes from quite mild with A*Men to very violent with Chanel's Egoiste Platinum.

Other fragrances that trigger the same reaction are: Tommy (Boy), Armani Code, Armani Mania, D&G Rue De La Fortune.

Is there anywhere where I can find out the ingredients for the above? So I could find out what is causing this and also check the ingredients of other fragrances I would like to buy?

Or does anyone know off the top of their heads what this might be?

Just as an extra piece of information I am only wearing Jean Paul Gaultier all the male versions and A*Men Summer at the moment and they are totally fine.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Do I Find Out What I am Allergic To? Please Help!

Hello atomicbison, and welcome to Basenotes.

A starting point may be to check the stated ingredients on the boxes. There may be some chemical ingredient common to all of them.

Generally all one can find out beyond that is the "notes" of a fragrance, but that will not necessarily help you since the notes usually represent accords-- combinations of molecules that produce a particular scent impression (say, the smell of a peach.)

Are you getting the rash after the sprayed skin is exposed to the sun? Some ingredients (like bergamot) are photosensitizing.

Default Re: How Do I Find Out What I am Allergic To? Please Help!

As 30 roses was saying, perfumes are usually mixtures of hundreds of ingredients, many of which appear, in various amounts, in most perfumes. So it will be really hard to find the culprit. The list of ingredients in the box could be useful, because it includes the list of substances that have been found to be more likely allergenic or that are restricted. But it's just a restricted list, you could be sensitive to other substances. Moreover, it could depend also on the quantity, that is, the substance could be present only in trace amount in one perfume, and so generate no reaction.

I suppose in the end the only way to make sure a perfume is fine is to dab a very small amount and wait ...

cacio