Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Jubilation XXV and what I'm missing

The obvious answer is probably my sense of smell. But considering all of the praise heaped on this one, I don't think that's it.

I just tried this one out today for the first time, and man, right out of the decant spray this stuff made me smile. Absolutely awesome top notes. But then that was it. I walked out of my room, sat down, and the scent seemed to get weaker on me by the minute. 20 minutes in, and I could no longer detect it's presence in the slightest. I had sprayed once on my chest, once on the back of my neck, and two rather light sprays on the crooks of my inner arms (one on each), as I had heard that this stuff had nuclear longevity and sillage. But strait out of the bottle I didn't even detect it's presence really that strong. It was good but it was just sort of barely there, and I was just hoping that it would start to shine through within the next 10 or 15 minutes.

But nothing.

15 minutes in and I couldn't smell a thing. This is VERY odd for me. My sense of smell is unusually sensitive (I could probably smell a cat fart from the next apartment over), and though my nose isn't trained in any sense of the word, I can usually strongly detect smells of any sort that others aren't aware of (just in day to day life).

Then I was thinking it could have been my skin, but my skin is probably in the combination range, and I frequently get excellent longevity for usually a few hours more than I see quoted (unless it's just my overly sensitive nose, either way).

But with this one absolutely nothing. 15-20 minutes and it almost completely vanished off of both me and my clothing, at the point where my shirt contacted my chest (which usually holds any scent for at least 15+ hours as I put them on right after I spray).

After a few hours, just to make sure my nose just wasn't blown out or overly stuffy or something of that sort, I grabbed a toothpick from the table I was sitting at and smelled it. And the stinking toothpick was hitting stronger in all of it's generic cheap toothpick woody way than anywhere that I had sprayed the Jubilation XXV.

Then later tonight when I took my shirt off I started smelling all over for any hint of XXV, but the only scent I could even pick up was the faint scent of the spray deodorant which I had lightly applied much earlier than the Amouge.

I don't know what's wrong honestly. My real only conclusion is that somehow the juice must have gone bad before I sprayed it? I bought the decant from a reputable decanting service, but I don't dismiss the possibility that something could have just gone wrong with their storage or whatever.

I know that Amouage makes top of the line stuff, and I LOVED what I was initially getting, but I didn't get to go anywhere with it. Did I just get a bad bottle, or is something seriously off with my nose?

AromiErotici

Default Re: Amouage Jubilation XXV and what I'm missing

I have only sample worn it and with all the Amouage fragrances, the longevity was excellent. I have no answer for your not being able to detect it other than fatigue.

I do not get more than 2 hours out of it. But I have a very, very dry skin; perfumes, that are said to be killers if over-sprayed (Angel Men, Joop! Homme), become only a shadow of their famous reputation once they come in contact with my skin.
    You should give it a few more tries before coming to conclusion. Like AromiErotici said, it can be the nose fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    I do not get more than 2 hours out of it. But I have a very, very dry skin; perfumes, that are said to be killers if over-sprayed (Angel Men, Joop! Homme), become only a shadow of their famous reputation once they come in contact with my skin.
    You should give it a few more tries before coming to conclusion. Like AromiErotici said, it can be the nose fatigue.
    Do you think it's possible the juice went off? As the places I sprayed it on me aren't really all that dry. If so I think I should at least write the decanter I got it from and warn them before they split it up anymore. Because honestly even within the first spray it wasn't hitting very powerfully AT ALL.

Or is this probably unlikely?

It can be but it also can be a bad skin chemistry. The perfumes do not react the same way once you apply them on your skin therefore some will last, and some will not last.

You should give it a few more tries and after a few hours ask a friend if he can smell something. Or buy another decant / a sample from other place than the one you ordered first from.

I can smell Jubilation XXV for days, and I can't smell as well as I should be able to (smoker) and have somewhat dry skin.

Try spraying a bit less next time, like on your wrist or something, or asking someone else if they can smell it. You might be overpowering your sniffer.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

AromiErotici

I have dry skin that absorbs like a sponge. Normally what others consider to be sillage monsters do not behave that way on my skin.

With Jubilation, once the opening is completed, it behaves like an EDP on me. The sillage lowers to very moderate, but the scent itself remains substantial and lasts all day.

Nose Job

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Nose Job
    It might come to that.

For my first couple of tries, I was similarilily puzzled as to how can a scent disappear so quickly. However, I learned quickly that it wasn't the scent but my perception of it. After several more wearings my nose adjusted to it and now I can smell it for days on clothing and 24+ hours on skin - even a shower doesn't seem to get rid of it entirely.

I noticed, however, that the top notes are indeed not very long lasting, and soon after the application the smell weakens, but man, does it come back with a vengeance a couple of hours later... If your situation is anything like mine I'd just continue trying and while you're at it remember to resist the temptation to overspray - chances are those around you may find the scent too much. My girlfriend absolutely hates XXV and she find it overpowering even it's just a half-spray that was applied 12 hours ago, and that on the skin and not on clothing.

You are missing the glorious exotic!

It's got to be a bad decant as it is very strong and lasts, even with nose fatigue you should be able to smell it at some point.

Interesting. Especially that you couldn't smell it on your shirt. If you weren't exposed to the smell until then, it takes fatigue out of the equation.

Only thing I can think of is severe anosmia to everything left in the fragrance at that point, which would be weird. There is one fragrance (Riverside Drive Bond9) that I can't smell at all though, so it's not impossible I guess.

I've to (partially) agree with you Portario. While I find Jubilation XXV to be extremely compelling and sublimely crafted I also get it as as one of the weakest in the Amouage range (I'm talking about longevity) as it lasts no more than 4-5 hours on my skin (not 20 minutes). Despite this fact I still believe this is an outstanding and extraordinary composition.
    Last edited by alfarom; 30th July 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have a large decant and while I like it, it's wears a bit light on me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    The obvious answer is probably my sense of smell. But considering all of the praise heaped on this one, I don't think that's it.

I just tried this one out today for the first time, and man, right out of the decant spray this stuff made me smile. Absolutely awesome top notes. But then that was it. I walked out of my room, sat down, and the scent seemed to get weaker on me by the minute. 20 minutes in, and I could no longer detect it's presence in the slightest. I had sprayed once on my chest, once on the back of my neck, and two rather light sprays on the crooks of my inner arms (one on each), as I had heard that this stuff had nuclear longevity and sillage. But strait out of the bottle I didn't even detect it's presence really that strong. It was good but it was just sort of barely there, and I was just hoping that it would start to shine through within the next 10 or 15 minutes.

But nothing.

15 minutes in and I couldn't smell a thing. This is VERY odd for me. My sense of smell is unusually sensitive (I could probably smell a cat fart from the next apartment over), and though my nose isn't trained in any sense of the word, I can usually strongly detect smells of any sort that others aren't aware of (just in day to day life).

Then I was thinking it could have been my skin, but my skin is probably in the combination range, and I frequently get excellent longevity for usually a few hours more than I see quoted (unless it's just my overly sensitive nose, either way).

But with this one absolutely nothing. 15-20 minutes and it almost completely vanished off of both me and my clothing, at the point where my shirt contacted my chest (which usually holds any scent for at least 15+ hours as I put them on right after I spray).

After a few hours, just to make sure my nose just wasn't blown out or overly stuffy or something of that sort, I grabbed a toothpick from the table I was sitting at and smelled it. And the stinking toothpick was hitting stronger in all of it's generic cheap toothpick woody way than anywhere that I had sprayed the Jubilation XXV.

Then later tonight when I took my shirt off I started smelling all over for any hint of XXV, but the only scent I could even pick up was the faint scent of the spray deodorant which I had lightly applied much earlier than the Amouge.

I don't know what's wrong honestly. My real only conclusion is that somehow the juice must have gone bad before I sprayed it? I bought the decant from a reputable decanting service, but I don't dismiss the possibility that something could have just gone wrong with their storage or whatever.

I know that Amouage makes top of the line stuff, and I LOVED what I was initially getting, but I didn't get to go anywhere with it. Did I just get a bad bottle, or is something seriously off with my nose?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Amouage EDP's. They all have the same 15 minute longevity on me.

Im not an Amouage fan but all of them and JXXV in particularly is a beast in terms of longevity and projection.

for swap/sale:

Funny I got 24 hours

I get 6-10 hrs at minimum with Jub XXV; and the only scent I've ever had "fatigue" with where I cannot detect it whatsoever but get compliments 6-8 hrs later is Creed Aventus...I don't know why, but that's the only one so far where I've come across this.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

AromiErotici

There seems to be disparity in opinions on this house. It's either terrific longevity or 15 minutes? REALLY???????!!!!!!

I'm neither for or against their releases. I like most of what I've sampled regardless of whether I'd shell out the $$$ for a bottle, but come on.........15 minutes? How is it I get a thick but close wearing that lasts almost all day?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    How is it I get a thick but close wearing that lasts almost all day?
    That's what I'M wondering. Maybe my nose is SO sensitive that 4 moderate sprays completely overwhelmed it. Next time I'm going to try either 1 or a 1/2 pump and see what I get.

I did kind of have a similar problem with Pure Havane. 3-4 sprays; couldn't smell it an hour later. 1-2 sprays; hitting me like a truck even when driving around high speed on my motorcycle.

Though Pure Malt I can go as heavy as I want on the trigger and that doesn't seem to give any fatigue, even though that one seems to be labeled the heavier of the two. I wonder if certain notes will give certain people olfactory fatigue faster than others?
    Last edited by Partario; 31st July 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Amouage really has to get it together. Their batches are so inconsistent. Some people get 15 minutes, some people smell it their entire lives. What kind of quality control does this terrible house have? I also highly doubt Kings and Queens wear this stuff. Oh, and Erwin Amouage is a phony.

Oh wait, am I in the wrong thread?

We can only "round up the usual suspects" for you. However, to get opinions I've sent samples to some BNers whose opinions I wanted, so that's something you can consider (I'll take .25 ml if you like).

Off-Scenter

I've had no longevity problems with Amouage scents, but I have found that Jubilation XXV requires relatively heavy application to make much impact. See my review here for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    We can only "round up the usual suspects" for you. However, to get opinions I've sent samples to some BNers whose opinions I wanted, so that's something you can consider (I'll take .25 ml if you like).
    When I get down closer to that marker in the decant I'll consider that, if my nose doesn't change before then.

I have two decants of XXV. One lasts almost 12 hrs, while the other barely lasts 4 hrs.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I have two decants of XXV. One lasts almost 12 hrs, while the other barely lasts 4 hrs.
    Yikes ! It may be that the samples I have tried were from better batches? This is the first I'm hearing of inconsistencies like this.

If there is any truth to this........then any bottle purchase is a crapshoot and is contingent on whether or not that bottle came out of a good rendition. If someone has some insight on this, please enlighten me and others.

For whatever it's worth - I've used XXV from three different sources: two bottles and an official spray sample and the results were exactly the same. At first few tries it was a magic disappearing trick but after I ajusted to the scent somehow this one has a crazy crazy longevity for me (still using juice from the same sources).

Are there some molecules used as fixatives etc. that may be big enough to temporarily "shock" or overload our olfactory receptors in some strange physiological process? I seem to remember reading something similar about some synthetic musks.

My Jub XXV is also very persistent. I find it too that it appears to be low volume, but then it somehow radiates and fills the room with a low hum. Luca Turin points this out in his review for Timbuktu, Jub's older brother by the same perfumer. He links this "radiance" property to the use of several woody ambers.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Are there some molecules used as fixatives etc. that may be big enough to temporarily "shock" or overload our olfactory receptors in some strange physiological process? I seem to remember reading something similar about some synthetic musks.
    This is what I'm thinking might be the case. I'm going to give it a few more VERY light wears, and if I still can't detect anything, I'll try and pass it on to a BN member more familiar with the juice to see if there's something off with mine.

I am also very frustrated with Jubilation XXV. I am trying out the official samples of the Amouage EDT line, and would like to get a FB of one of them. So far, the only one that has really wowed me is Jub XXV, but I get such a short longevity out of it, it's insane. One to two hours tops. Really. I usually don't have big troubles with longevity on my skin, although it is not the super-moist, ideally fragrance-magnetic type. But in this case it's really annoying.
    Can it really be the batch? I would sure hope so, I'd love to be able to get a good one-day-long use out of my morning sprays from Jubilation. But then again, if there IS a difference between batches, I won't be able to tell which I am getting (I have to buy Amouages through the internet).
    Bummer, really.

I don't know about Amouage batch variations, but mine literally deconstructs the term olfactory fatigue. It has grrreat sillage and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    I don't know about Amouage batch variations, but mine literally deconstructs the term olfactory fatigue. It has grrreat sillage and longevity.
    I guess I'll have to take a chance and buy a bottle. I was waiting to try out Honour, which smells very nice, but it can't hold a candle to Jube XXV, as I already supposed...
    I just hope and pray that it'll have a bit more longevity than my sample...

I figured I should update this thread in the case that it's ever used as a reference point for another curious buyer with a similar concern in the future. After cutting down to one spray, I realized that at the time of the first post, I was suffering from SEVERE olfactory fatigue. With only one spray, I could smell it well over 13 hours from the same decant that I could only initially perceive for 15 minutes. Ended up buying the full bottle.

This one battles your nose into submission if you over spray.

And both of Igor01's posts were spot-on descriptions of what was happening with me. Just took some time for my nose to adjust to it. Glad I came back to it, as this one is just immaculate IMO.
    Last edited by Partario; 17th October 2011 at 01:31 PM.

You may be right. I did eventually buy a bottle and even if I lost track of the fragrance while I was wearing it, on my shirt it did smell steady for quite some time...

That one is on my wish list. What would be the most reputable place to order one and not be afraid to get some older stock that could have longevity problems.
    Last edited by tiberije; 17th October 2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I'm willing to buy a tester. Old testers are EDT, while current ones are EDP. Is anyone experienced about some difference about sillage and fix of these? Would this matter be the reason to some individual discrepancies about this question?

I bought mine from Escentual. They had an Amouage sample set of nearly all their male and female fragrances that was discounted with a subsequent full bottle purchase. Great deal, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I figured I should update this thread in the case that it's ever used as a reference point for another curious buyer with a similar concern in the future. After cutting down to one spray, I realized that at the time of the first post, I was suffering from SEVERE olfactory fatigue. With only one spray, I could smell it well over 13 hours from the same decant that I could only initially perceive for 15 minutes. Ended up buying the full bottle.

This one battles your nose into submission if you over spray.

And both of Igor01's posts were spot-on descriptions of what was happening with me. Just took some time for my nose to adjust to it. Glad I came back to it, as this one is just immaculate IMO.
    I need to try this, becuase i'm wearing 3 sprays today and i'm having trouble detecting it. Maybe its too much, but still with other scents i have, when i spray to much i sure as hell know i did becuase i feel like a bubble of the scent is around me...so not sure if its fatigue or not.

Again, if you spray on yourself and then smell yourself an hour later and can't smell anything, ask a friend.

Chances are it is only YOU who cannot smell it.

I would bet real money that Jubilation XXV has sufficient longevity on anyone. I can smell it on a shirt literally DAYS after having sprayed it on skin. This is the case with many fragrances. If you're trying a reputed longevity/projection monster and find it to be doing neither... how do you know? You can't smell yourself from further away, and you can't smell yourself after your brain filters out what it perceives as olfactory noise.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

I'm happy that I found this thread.
    I received my 1st Amouage yesterday .
    I bought for myself Jubilation XXV.

I am sooooo frustrated 15 sec. after spraying , even 1 spray , I cant detect the scent anymore

I have many perfumes , over 60 , I guess. Some of them really potent (Montale) some are soft - I dont have this problem with ANY of my other fragrances.

I shelled out 300$ for a scent that 15 sec after application (even םמshirt or paper) I have to put my nose right on top of it in order to smell it

Any tips for me about it ?
    Last edited by ace11; 31st January 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Double post
    Last edited by ace11; 31st January 2013 at 11:52 AM.

@ace11

It's olfactory fatigue. I had the same problem until I wore it a few times.

Do an extremely light appliation somewhere low on your body (like 1 or 1/2 a spray on your stomach for example). There's something Amouage uses that completely shocks your senses into thinking they're not there, as I tried out Memoir for the first time yesterday, and am experiencing the whole XXV thing all over again.
    Last edited by Partario; 31st January 2013 at 04:49 PM.

double post
    Last edited by ace11; 31st January 2013 at 06:24 PM.

@Partario

So , after few times in which you applied 1 spray only .....did return to apply more than 1 spray and still smell the fragrance all day ?

Do people around you smell you after 4 hours with only 1 spray on stomach ?
    Last edited by ace11; 31st January 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Not sure if others around smelled with only 1 spray, but I could smell it. I just had to get my nose used to it. I've worn it recently a few times (usually only two or three sprays) and have received compliments several hours after application. Start with just a tiny amount, and you'll probably find out after a while that it lasts longer than you initially thought.

@ Partario

Thank you for your advice. I followed it and found out that you were right.