Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Creed 250 year anniversary scent!! Spy Photo Cairomerta style!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Creed should perhaps consider selling a line of hats with a sign at the front that reads: "I am wealthy".

Just a thought.

They were going to but they realised the production costs doubled due to a printing error that would immediately produce a second hat straight after that told the owner what they could and couldn't like and their purchases would always be called into question on internet forums by people who thought their low standard were the benchmark.

Weird huh!

I think you'll do well with those 'low standards [arrow pointing down]' hats that your company makes, Can you do a 'I have lots of free time and my other life is a forum troll' one for Mazeltov? He'd love that.. Bless him.
    Last edited by Kron; 31st July 2011 at 09:04 PM.

If Melville had been a basenoter, the last words of "Bartleby the Scrivener" would read: "Ah Creed threads! Ah humanity!"
    Last edited by the_good_life; 31st July 2011 at 09:56 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Have they really been around that long? I thought it was B.S. marketing myself. Not meaning to insult that is just what I thought when I go to the review section, and certain Creeds say they were made in the 17, and 1800's. Maybe they really were?

I think I'll just buy six more bottles of M.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Have they really been around that long? I thought it was B.S. marketing myself. Not meaning to insult that is just what I thought when I go to the review section, and certain Creeds say they were made in the 17, and 1800's. Maybe they really were?
    As tailors they apparently go back to 1760, as a proper perfume house the early 1970s. All of their scents were created in the 70s or later, though many reference older styles (Royal Scottish Lavender: late Victorian, REL, Vintage Tabarome: 1920s).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Their fragrances feel kinda modern to my nose... i don't get any 1800's style on them.

Damned reformulations!

As the_good_life states, their perfumes have been created in the 70's or later. There's no Creed that dates from 18th or 19th? Guerlain has them, only a few, but they are. What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?
    Some friends of mine see that 1760 logo and just run away looking for a Diesel Stand or that cool armani ad.

Clap your hands if you believe in Creed!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st August 2011 at 04:04 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Their fragrances feel kinda modern to my nose... i don't get any 1800's style on them.

What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?

"You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time."--A. Lincoln

Their hubris literally drips from the spray mechanism.
    Last edited by kbe; 1st August 2011 at 02:20 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Creed's 250th anniversary. A successful fragrance house by any reasonable standards. Congratulations to Creed, and best wishes for the next 250 years. Hope the special commemorative fragrance proves to be one of their best yet. I'm tempted to buy it for its sheer collectibility, if nothing else. You know it would be a good investment.

Special thanks to Mr. Cairomerta for sharing the superior detective work.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 1st August 2011 at 02:21 AM.

I hope, for the health of the ones who buy it, they don't release it as a regular in a couple of years... that would be a bad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Care to enlighten those of us looking at a picture of a bottle (size and contents unknown) what this thread is actually about and where your information is coming from? I'm clearly missing something here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I wonder what type of fragrance it will be? If it is an aquatic, I'd have no interest. I suppose more information will be available as we move toward the end of the year. And, maybe a few of our AZB bretheren will have an advanced sniff. By the time this one is available, I will have already spent myself into a coma on flacons Feuille Verte.
    Thanks for indirectly answering my original question! I was wondering what this was about but clearly no-one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Its ridiculous to offer something only very few can enjoy. What is the message here? Creed only wants the select few to participate in celebration of their company? To me, offering such a product doesn't celebrate the majority of people that keep their company strong.
    This is quite an apt and searching question from a business point of view.

I think t_g_l makes a good point about high price / limited access / exclusivity etc. Basically this is aspirational marketing / positioning.

But just out of interest does Creed have a 'loyalty programme' for those who purchase a lot from their official outlets? I buy from a couple of official distributors of luxe and/or niche lines and apart from free samples and a sneek peek at new releases and so on (which any regular customer would expect) I have also been on the receiving end of gifts from the companies. Some are at the discretion of the managment of the outlet, some are from accrued 'points' but both - simply put, are customer loyalty rewards put in place and sanctioned by the house in question. A few examples - Guerlain 180 Ans, Lutens 30ml Travel Atomisers, L'Artisan Nomad Refill etc.

Given this is a significant anniversary what are you guys who spend more on Creed than I do (I did buy Aventus but that's the first Creed for a few years) expecting or entitled to? If I were you I would be asking myself this question. So simple, serious question - is there an official Creed VIP programme in place?

But just out of interest does Creed have a 'loyalty programme' for those who purchase a lot from their official outlets?........is there a Creed VIP programme in place?
    This is an excellent idea. There should be a loyalty programme but then again, mercy shouldn't be given to us peasants lol. jk. Seriously though, excellent idea.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Might be having a bit of selective memory problem here, but $1300 to split Maria Ozawa's underpants?? I'm IN!
    *** major wolf whistle ***

Man, I learn something new on Basenotes every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Can you do a 'I have lots of free time and my other life is a forum troll' one for Mazeltov? He'd love that.. Bless him.
    Dear Kron, so nice of you to care. Trust me, as a real professional with a real life not-related to perfume retail, I would become rather depressed if the pinnacle of my social life would be embodied in organizing Creed splits.

However, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

If its not out till November/December start saving now and you'll have enough ... maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I don't think extremely high end luxury items are affected by economic swings as much as other products.
    True. "Aspirational" spending goes down when those with more limited funds tighten the purse strings. The seriously wealthy seldom have to bother with the harsh reality...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Isn't this at the very heart of the niche versus designer fragrance arguments that go on around here? Seriously, stating that something is out of reach for one group as a ridiculous thing is just as frequently pointed out when folks place some praise on a designer fragrance but the similar (in note, smell or artistic direction) and more expensive niche take is praised to new levels... because it's "more exclusive".

I'm not arguing nor putting up that you're "wrong"... just amazes me how further up the latter the exclusivity goes, the people that are more than likely left behind will say it's not a fair thing to limit whom can enjoy their offerings.

The majority doesn't support Creed. They started off as tailors to royalty. Limiting this to release to those type of folks is more aligned with their heritage than dropping their prices.

Not that I agree with it, I can see it that way.
    Up to a point I agree with you but there's also truth to the argument that overall Creed's quality standards seem to have been lowered. In light of this artificial price hikes or uber-exclusive releases like this seem jarring. It's unclear wether they want to be this super-exclusive luxury brand or rather open up to a broader audience instead. Right now, it all comes off as half-baked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Up to a point I agree with you but there's also truth to the argument that overall Creed's quality standards seem to have been lowered. In light of this artificial price hikes or uber-exclusive releases like this seem jarring. It's unclear wether they want to be this super-exclusive luxury brand or rather open up to a broader audience instead. Right now, it all comes off as half-baked.
    This.

Too funny Kron, but spot on!

Martin

I have realized this is now the best course of action:

-

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have realized this is now the best course of action:

Brilliant, almost as brilliant as Kron's stellar acronym, but not as much a work of genius as Martin's "me too" response. That required a lot of individual thinking.

Coming from guys who complain excessively and incessantly about trolling whenever anything Creed is being questioned... no further comment. Out of this thread.

Creed threads make baby jesus cry.

I like some of their stuff though.

When Olivier got started on the perfume idea, there was a major retro wave in perfumery - classical bases, vintage styling. Think Eau Sauvage, which is Farina Cologne (18th century) plus Hedione or the fascination with classic 1920s scents. That retro-orientation, with a focus on masculins was Creed's unique selling proposition. I agree the retro-monarchical etc image no longer squared with what came after GIT (save BdP, Neroli Sauvage and Royal Delight) - but it evidently worked and still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post

Damned reformulations!

As the_good_life states, their perfumes have been created in the 70's or later. There's no Creed that dates from 18th or 19th? Guerlain has them, only a few, but they are. What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?
    Some friends of mine see that 1760 logo and just run away looking for a Diesel Stand or that cool armani ad.
    My Wardrobe

Amazing how this thread is dominated with Creed bashing. Why can't it just be about a new fragrance release?

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Amazing how this thread is dominated with Creed bashing. Why can't it just be about a new fragrance release?
    Idealism and reality do not coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I think the reason for this is that we have (a) a picture of a bottle, (b) a price and (c) the fact that it is an exclusive release to celebrate an anniversary. Without any information about the fragrance itself it's not surprising the pricing takes centre stage along with speculation about how something at this price point fits into the overall scheme of things with the house.

I think the pic of the bottle was posted in good faith but usually online sneak peeks are accompanied with a blurb about the fragrance itself hence we are left with a bit of a vacuum and it's only natural for a lot of (hot) air to rush in and fill the void - you know, chemistry or biology or whatever it was

Blog Entries

I think the reason for this is that we have (a) a picture of a bottle, (b) a price and (c) the fact that it is an exclusive release to celebrate an anniversary. Without any information about the fragrance itself it's not surprising the pricing takes centre stage along with speculation about how something at this price point fits into the overall scheme of things with the house.

I think the pic of the bottle was posted in good faith but usually online sneak peeks are accompanied with a blurb about the fragrance itself hence we are left with a bit of a vacuum and it's only natural for a lot of (hot) air to rush in and fill the void - you know, chemistry or biology or whatever it was

I think this whole thread comes down to two things:

1 - those who can afford CREED's 250th Anniversary fragrance

and

2 - those who can't.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Maybe so. There are plenty of axe-grinding pseudo historians on basenotes who claim they were only tailors that far back, and not perfumers until the 1970s, but this has never been historically documented beyond Creed's claims and warrants for tailoring. Is it possible that they made scents that far back? Yes. Does anyone outside of the Creed company know for certain? No.

Quote Originally Posted by fumegator View Post

and

2 - those who can't.

Thank you.

As for the ridiculousness of the price - $1,300 - I find it interesting how many basenoters claim to live and breath perfume, but get pissy over the price of Creeds. I don't recall this much indignation over Guerlain's far more expensive crystal bee. I'll never buy this because I can't afford it, but I would give it a chance. It's not very likely, but you never know - it might be worth every penny.

and

2 - those who can't.
    I can not afford it, but I'd still like to discuss it if that's ok with you?
    Last edited by MikeNY; 2nd August 2011 at 04:09 AM.

and

2 - those who can't.
    Oh wow, you just went there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    As for the ridiculousness of the price - $1,300 - I find it interesting how many basenoters claim to live and breath perfume, but get pissy over the price of Creeds. I don't recall this much indignation over Guerlain's far more expensive crystal bee. I'll never buy this because I can't afford it, but I would give it a chance. It's not very likely, but you never know - it might be worth every penny.
    Exactly. I came damn close to buying QVLP myself, when I smelled it in the boutique. Same with Secrets of Sophie. Didn't feel any "Creed guilt" on those. They were simply some of Guerlain's absolute best stuff, and I would have been the proud owner of a far smaller quantity.

I hope that this fragrance is just as impressive, and worthy of the honor of being the 250-year frag.

Here's one more thing one can buy with $1,300.

http://shoeblogs.com/2007/01/13/overpriced-and-ugly/

Equally tempting. What should one do?

Blog Entries

^ "Laugh at the price all you like, but it costs bucketloads of money to cultivate barnacles on a high heel."

Edited.
    Last edited by Partario; 2nd August 2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Might as well not add fuel to any fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeltov View Post
    Here's one more thing one can buy with $1,300.

http://shoeblogs.com/2007/01/13/overpriced-and-ugly/

I would go with the shoes, as at least people will still be able to see them 3 hours after putting them on.

Well, if high heels are your thing, knock yourself out....
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Just to set the record straight:
    1. I do not own an axe
    2. I have a history Ph.D., though I'm certain you would not want to read my dissertation on the American Revolution and radical constitutionalism in Pennylvania. It's packed with sources and documentation.
    3. I never said that Creed did not make pefumes prior to Olivier. What is beyond doubt, however is
    a. that perfumes were irrelevant to the firm, whose reputation, advertising, royal warrants and treatment by historians all concern tailoring / habit making without a single mention of perfume. It is very likely for the kind of operation that Creed & Cumberland were in the 1850s that they would have sold perfume - well established Eau de Colognes such as Farina Gegenüber (which was also sold by Floris in London and in fact every reputable store of the sort) and possibly products under their own name mixed from formula books by a pharmacist to order. It is very unlikely however, that one of the Creeds, as reputable tailors, would have dabbled in perfumery, a sphere reserved to apothecaries and trained specialists who had learned the whole trade of soap and pomade-making etc. pp. (like the first Guerlain and others)
    b. that Creed's current perfumes are thoroughly modern or modern interpretations of classical scents. For example, as pointed out elsewhere, Royal English Leather, supposedly made in 1781 for George III, is really a leather-enhanced variation of Coty's famous L'Origan (1905) according to Octavian Coifan, one of the foremost perfume analysts. I assume the dates for the Creeds stored at the Osmotheque to be the most reliable that are publicly available, the oldest there being Epicea from 1975. Fleurs de Bulgarie, supposedly created in 1845 for Queen Victoria is dated 1985. 1845 is unlikely anyhow, as Creed & Cumberland only became Victoria's habit maker in 1859 (cf. Madeleine Ginsburg, "The Young Queen and Her Clothes," Costume (1969) 39-46.)

All this finally, need not have anything to do do with one's appreciation of Creed fragrances. It is still the house I own the greatest number of bottles of. REL, RD, SV, VT, BdP, CM, AE, AC, FdB, BdG and many more. But I can't help assuming that Creed's faux perfume history is just as important or more so to some aspirational buyers than the actual fragrance. That, after all, is the logic behind the entire designer and celeb fragrance market - to gain access to a prestigious name within the means you can afford. If I can't afford Prada shoes, I'll buy Prada fragrance. If I can't be nobility or a Hollywood Star, I'll buy Queen Victoria's or Cary Grant's perfume. That's how the Creed sales people I've experienced push this stuff.

You can believe anything you want, please just don't confuse source-based falsifiable hypotheses and reasoned conclusions with willy-nilly ideology. But perhaps you're one of those folks who believe Mel Gibson does historical documentaries and creationism ought to be taught in biology class...

Last but not least, here's how Olivier Creed currently puts it:
    "He explains how the Creed family business used to be what he calls a marchand de nouveautés, a sort of interdisciplinary luxury retailer that did a bit of everything, from tailoring to fragrances. And it did rather well out of it, too - so well that it came to the attention of Napoleon III, whose luxury-loving court lured the Creed family from London to Paris. Before long, Creed was a name bruited about the Imperial courts of Europe, with royal warrants from the Emperor Franz Joseph, Tsar Nicholas II and, of course, Queen Victoria, among others.

But when Olivier Creed started, the fragrance side of the business was just a service extended to regular customers for whom Creed blended bespoke scents."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/a...me-cologne-men

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Maybe so. There are plenty of axe-grinding pseudo historians on basenotes who claim they were only tailors that far back, and not perfumers until the 1970s, but this has never been historically documented beyond Creed's claims and warrants for tailoring. Is it possible that they made scents that far back? Yes. Does anyone outside of the Creed company know for certain? No.

Thank you.

Last edited by the_good_life; 2nd August 2011 at 09:05 PM.
    My Wardrobe

I suspect you'll be trotting out the above every few months, t_g_l, as new members come on board. I have a great deal of respect for what Olivier Creed has done in the last 30 odd years, I see him as a contemporary of Jean LaPorte, in a sense - a couple of guys who took a look at the prevailing post 60s patchouli and sandalwood infused atmosphere and recognised that men were ready to have some fun, in large part kicking off the 'niche' perfumery movement.

Since we have no information about the fragrance in hand and this has largely turned into an 'Industry' discussion thread, the question no-one has convincingly answered for me is why Creed, at a venerable 250 years of age, do not appear to have a VIP loyalty points system for their customers and are using this significant anniversary to launch a not inexpensive, presumably limited edition perfume, when Guerlain (a mere stripling at 181 years of age) have a points based loyalty programme in place and dished out a very nice bottle of 180 Ans (created for their 180th anniversary) to regular customers for free

Sorry, can't help but ask.

I suspect you'll be trotting out the above every few months, t_g_l, as new members come on board. I have a great deal of respect for what Olivier Creed has done in the last 30 odd years, I see him as a contemporary of Jean LaPorte, in a sense - a couple of guys who took a look at the prevailing post 60s patchouli and sandalwood infused atmosphere and recognised that men were ready to have some fun, in large part kicking off the 'niche' perfumery movement.

Since we have no information about the fragrance in hand and this has largely turned into an 'Industry' discussion thread, the question no-one has convincingly answered for me is why Creed, at a venerable 250 years of age, do not appear to have a VIP loyalty points system for their customers and are using this significant anniversary to launch a not inexpensive, presumably limited edition perfume, when Guerlain (a mere stripling at 181 years of age) have a points based loyalty programme in place and dished out a very nice bottle of 180 Ans (created for their 180th anniversary) to regular customers for free

Sorry, can't help but ask.
    Although it does not alter my enjoyment of Creed fragrances or my respect for the body of fragrances created, I think TGL's historical assessment of Creed history is valid. Unless I find evidence to the contrary I've come to a similar conclusion. The oldest flacons I have photos of are from the early to mid 80's, I think. Another thought I have is that there was a great expansion of Creed scents about the time Laurice Rhame became the distributor of the largest Creed market, USA. I think Laurice heavily promoted the association of fragrances with personalities and icons. I refer to it as architypal marketing. I have no problem at all whether it is fact, fiction or a poppycock blend. I find it amusing actually. If the Creed products didn't deliver, no amount of promoting would save them. I also know (for a fact) that Creed sales associates sell to current celebrities who frequent their counter (they want to smell good too and have the bucks to do it).

Creed is not corporate owned and operated. I do believe the various worldwide distributors of Creed are given a certain degree of marketing latitude. USA Creed storefront vendors compete for business (as do online sellers). I have been treated exceptionally well by most (not all, some are stingy) Creed specialists who work for mainline stores. I'm often given a heads up on new or special products. I have posted previously about receiving gifts with purchase. I agree it would be a wonderful thing if there was a Creed fragrance giveaway associated with their 250th anniversary, but I wouldn't ever expect it and Creed doesn't need to do it to maintain success.

As an aside, I believe the 250 year anniversay fragrance has been in the can for a while but not released (like a movie) because the timing wasn't strategic. Same thing with Feuille Verte (I believe it is already here, just waiting for October/November). The pricey anniversary fragrance, needs the strong pull of the holiday buying season to help it move--and many loyal consumers (like me) need time to recoup from previous releases before I can consume again. My 3 cents.

Martin

I also know (for a fact) that Creed sales associates sell to current celebrities who frequent their counter (they want to smell good too and have the bucks to do it).
    I know that this thread is slowly getting out of hand, but just a few comments.

What Jazznpool says is undisputed. Just as an example, if you live in the DC or Atlanta area, its not uncommon to see Elton John in Atlanta or high-profile government officials in DC frequenting the Creed counter at Neimans. My friend has snapped a pic of Elton John buying a bottle of Love in Black at Lennox Square. So if you doubt that Napoleon ever wore Creed, atleast we know P. Diddy, Elton John, and others definitely do.

The other point of note is what t_g_l quoted:

"But when Olivier Creed started, the fragrance side of the business was just a service extended to regular customers for whom Creed blended bespoke scents."

"Bespoke" fragrances is what I had always been aware of, and what Erwin Creed had told me about the companys origins a couple of years ago when I had a chance to interview him on the phone (we didn't go into too much detail at that time). Also, a number of links to articles can be found on basenotes where more insights into Creeds bespoke service and origins can be found. No one can say for sure how far back these archives go.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I know that this thread is slowly getting out of hand.
    never would have predicted that, after the last 250th Anniv thread went so well. <insert /sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Just to set the record straight:
    1. I do not own an axe
    2. I have a history Ph.D., though I'm certain you would not want to read my dissertation on the American Revolution and radical constitutionalism in Pennylvania. It's packed with sources and documentation.
    3. I never said that Creed did not make pefumes prior to Olivier. What is beyond doubt, however is
    a. that perfumes were irrelevant to the firm, whose reputation, advertising, royal warrants and treatment by historians all concern tailoring / habit making without a single mention of perfume. It is very likely for the kind of operation that Creed & Cumberland were in the 1850s that they would have sold perfume - well established Eau de Colognes such as Farina Gegenüber (which was also sold by Floris in London and in fact every reputable store of the sort) and possibly products under their own name mixed from formula books by a pharmacist to order. It is very unlikely however, that one of the Creeds, as reputable tailors, would have dabbled in perfumery, a sphere reserved to apothecaries and trained specialists who had learned the whole trade of soap and pomade-making etc. pp. (like the first Guerlain and others)
    b. that Creed's current perfumes are thoroughly modern or modern interpretations of classical scents. For example, as pointed out elsewhere, Royal English Leather, supposedly made in 1781 for George III, is really a leather-enhanced variation of Coty's famous L'Origan (1905) according to Octavian Coifan, one of the foremost perfume analysts. I assume the dates for the Creeds stored at the Osmotheque to be the most reliable that are publicly available, the oldest there being Epicea from 1975. Fleurs de Bulgarie, supposedly created in 1845 for Queen Victoria is dated 1985. 1845 is unlikely anyhow, as Creed & Cumberland only became Victoria's habit maker in 1859 (cf. Madeleine Ginsburg, "The Young Queen and Her Clothes," Costume (1969) 39-46.)

All this finally, need not have anything to do do with one's appreciation of Creed fragrances. It is still the house I own the greatest number of bottles of. REL, RD, SV, VT, BdP, CM, AE, AC, FdB, BdG and many more. But I can't help assuming that Creed's faux perfume history is just as important or more so to some aspirational buyers than the actual fragrance. That, after all, is the logic behind the entire designer and celeb fragrance market - to gain access to a prestigious name within the means you can afford. If I can't afford Prada shoes, I'll buy Prada fragrance. If I can't be nobility or a Hollywood Star, I'll buy Queen Victoria's or Cary Grant's perfume. That's how the Creed sales people I've experienced push this stuff.

You can believe anything you want, please just don't confuse source-based falsifiable hypotheses and reasoned conclusions with willy-nilly ideology. But perhaps you're one of those folks who believe Mel Gibson does historical documentaries and creationism ought to be taught in biology class...

Last but not least, here's how Olivier Creed currently puts it:
    "He explains how the Creed family business used to be what he calls a marchand de nouveautés, a sort of interdisciplinary luxury retailer that did a bit of everything, from tailoring to fragrances. And it did rather well out of it, too - so well that it came to the attention of Napoleon III, whose luxury-loving court lured the Creed family from London to Paris. Before long, Creed was a name bruited about the Imperial courts of Europe, with royal warrants from the Emperor Franz Joseph, Tsar Nicholas II and, of course, Queen Victoria, among others.

But when Olivier Creed started, the fragrance side of the business was just a service extended to regular customers for whom Creed blended bespoke scents."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/a...me-cologne-men
    One thing you will notice, The Good Life, is that blatantly Creed-connected people (who just "happen" to know this and that Creed distributor, who just "happen" to interview Erwin etc.) always complain about trolling, Creed-bashing, and threads being derailed, while unabashedly bashing themselves - in the most personal, humorless, bordering on obscene way - the slightest sign of dissent or doubt when it comes to Creed dogma. The latest, most laughable "argument" is that Creed may have lied about emperors, stars like Marlene Dietrich etc., but nevertheless a friend of a friend of a Creed guy saw rapper X or somebody else sniffing a bottle of Creed. Given the rather low credibility Creed and Creed-related propagandists have at the moment, sure, we should take their word for it, whatever they are saying. Yeah, sure. They also complain that informed interventions such as yours, past and present, are those of "pseudo-historians," while you obviously forgot more history than they've ever learned.

Please do not let yourself intimidated by the gregarious, "me too," "let's gang up on the blasphemer and shut him up through any means" culture, which seems to be uniquely and intensely connected to the selling pitch and propaganda methods of this one perfume operation above all. Keep up the good work.

For years I thought I'd been an accountant.

Then I woke up this morning and discovered it had all been a dream (ala Bobby Ewing) and I'm really a Creed rep.

"Honestly Guv, you won't find better value than $1300" (said in a cockney accent).

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    For years I thought I'd been an accountant.

Then I woke up this morning and discovered it had all been a dream (ala Bobby Ewing) and I'm really a Creed rep.
    No, don't be a victim now, obviously not everybody who likes some Creeds and buys them is a rep, but some of the most strident people, those who don't *debate* ideas but try to *crash* people, silence them... obviously are.

As for Bobby Ewing, that dates you... and me... I remember the silly dream wake-up thing... how many people under 40 do? (-:

OK, Mazeltov, thank you.

Are you now admitting that people, like me, might just be exercising personal preference and are not blinded by the spiel/fanboys/sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Are you now admitting that people, like me, might just be exercising personal preference and are not blinded by the spiel/fanboys/sheep?
    I am ALWAYS admitting that freely and happily. Of course that there are thousands of customers or more who are extremely happy with their Creed fragrances, some of whom highly knowledgeable and discriminating, and I never had any problem with that, neither did I express any doubt about that fact.

What I took issue with was this suffocating "sacred cow" status which seems to be granted to no other perfume brand out there, and the almost automatic personal attacks coming from a few, which attacks aggressively attempt to eliminate any doubt, any criticism, any dissent, no matter how friendly or how mild. I have never been unfriendly here other than in response, and even my less than friendly responses were more measured than the attacks of the Creed brigade.

In that case, Mazeltov, I appreciate your reply and comments. Thank you.

Frankly, I don't give a flying feck about Creed's made up (perfume) history. Worse things happen. Some perfumers could be accused of being right wing sympathisers and some could be suspected as taking advantage of North African rentboys. All conjecture. I have no idea.

I have simple tastes, I'm the first one to admit it. Creed fulfils this need for me. No overblown fragrances, just what suits my nose. Of course, I'd like them to be cheaper, but I think that the whole industry (not the whole "art") could have this charge levelled at them.

Peace.

Thank you Jcrich for your pleasant demeanor and exquisite conversation, enjoy your entire collection and have a wonderfully fragrant day... tomorrow, I guess, now it must be pretty late in England.

And you, my friend.

You are right, it is rather late here now, and the merlot is kicking in.....

Is the troll still posting? Even after he said he was out of this thread? Really, what attracts him to this and this thread only. There are 100s of threads discussing everything from Guerlains, to Lutens to Tom Fords yet he keeps posting repetitious nonsense over and over on Creed threads.. I had removed him from my ignore list thinking he had learned his lesson but I guess not. Onto the ignore list Mazeltroll - never again shall he be out of it, polluting threads.
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Just to set the record straight:.....
    Love it when heat generates some light! Thanks for the great summary!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love it when heat generates some light! Thanks for the great summary!
    Couldn't agree more!

Redneck is an example of [by no means "redneck," but here comes in a true sense of humor] educated perfume lover who likes certain fragrances, some of which may happen to be Creed, yet he has a kind word of COMMUNICATION for/with people he may occasionally disagree with.

He also has a sense of humor. Not a small thing.

When it comes to a subject which can be a passion of many of us, yet it does not encapsulate the very meaning of life, holding unto a sense of humor is not optional, it is rather essential. Especially when it comes to not becoming a train wreck of arrogance, hubris, and serious hatred shallowly applied unto trivial matters.

Blog Entries

Couldn't agree more!

Redneck is an example of [by no means "redneck," but here comes in a true sense of humor] educated perfume lover who likes certain fragrances, some of which may happen to be Creed, yet he has a kind word of COMMUNICATION for/with people he may occasionally disagree with.

He also has a sense of humor. Not a small thing.

When it comes to a subject which can be a passion of many of us, yet it does not encapsulate the very meaning of life, holding unto a sense of humor is not optional, it is rather essential. Especially when it comes to not becoming a train wreck of arrogance, hubris, and serious hatred shallowly applied unto trivial matters.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I tend to look at Creed's elaborations and fictions as simply a more intricate form of the marketing stories which accompany almost all fragrances. "For the man of regal bearing who loves adventure..." That's what many of them would say. Well, Creed simply concocts the story of an actual royal adventurer who wore the fragrance. More effective by a mile, and a whole lot more literary, actually.

Fragrance is a difficult form of communication. It needs all the supporting help and cues that it can get. The bottle, the color of the juice, the name, and yes - the story - are all essential in evoking the magical moments we crave. We pay for sweet lies, and why not? Let's just not defend them as history.

Lies. Damn lies. Statistics.

Lies. Sweet lies. Fragrance marketing.

Getting mad at Creed for offering a scent that is $1300 is exactly like getting mad at Mercedes because they sell the SLS sports car ($250,000) in addition to their $50,000 E-class.

are you people mad at Mercedes/Creed for selling expensive, high-end products? or mad that you can't afford them?

i would seriously ponder that question...
    Last edited by fumegator; 11th August 2011 at 08:29 PM.

I was able to get a small sample of the Creed 250 year anniversary fragrance from a fumehead friend recently. This is a clean unisex (but slightly feminine leaning) fragrance that might be described as (a more natural smelling) Original Cologne meets White Flowers. There is a dose of bergamot in the top but the citrus opening quickly gives way to a very pleasant and wonderful floral and light musk that takes me near but not beyond my floral limit. Similar to other recent Royal Exclusive frags, the 250 year anniversary fragrance is somehat light and sheer-- not heavy and full bodied like many of the Creed heritage fragrances. I do like it but it is not one that I must have (my wallet is thankful). This one will be for holiday shoppers with very deep pockets who will relish the exclusivity of it--and I imagine the customers will not necessarily be fine fragrance afficianados. At about the same time the 2011 limted edition of Feuille Verte will be released. THAT is the release I have been looking forward to with great anticipation!

Martin

I don't know if this is a fact, but I had heard that Olivier was not initially satisfied and/ or the fragrance was not ready. I'm curious what sort of fragrance this is.

Martin
    Didn't stop them with Aventus though did it?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

That Price is too much for almost everybody except wall street guys and Royal Family
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I was able to get a small sample of the Creed 250 year anniversary fragrance from a fumehead friend recently. This is a clean unisex (but slightly feminine leaning) fragrance that might be described as (a more natural smelling) Original Cologne meets White Flowers. There is a dose of bergamot in the top but the citrus opening quickly gives way to a very pleasant and wonderful floral and light musk that takes me near but not beyond my floral limit. Similar to other recent Royal Exclusive frags, the 250 year anniversary fragrance is somehat light and sheer-- not heavy and full bodied like many of the Creed heritage fragrances. I do like it but it is not one that I must have (my wallet is thankful). This one will be for holiday shoppers with very deep pockets who will relish the exclusivity of it--and I imagine the customers will not necessarily be fine fragrance afficianados. At about the same time the 2011 limted edition of Feuille Verte will be released. THAT is the release I have been looking forward to with great anticipation!

Martin
    Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Didn't stop them with Aventus though did it?
    Aventus is a runaway success--look for the expanded toiletry line in 2012! The lot issues are exaggerated and are now more or less ancient fodder for people who have a need to dwell on that sort of thing. This thread is about the 250 anniversary frag.

Martin

I was able to get a small sample of the Creed 250 year anniversary fragrance from a fumehead friend recently. This is a clean unisex (but slightly feminine leaning) fragrance that might be described as (a more natural smelling) Original Cologne meets White Flowers. Similar to other recent Royal Exclusive frags, the 250 year anniversary fragrance is somehat light and sheer-- not heavy and full bodied like many of the Creed heritage fragrances.
    Thank you for saving me time, effort, and $.