Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: New Creed 250 year anniversary scent!! Spy Photo Cairomerta style!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Creed should perhaps consider selling a line of hats with a sign at the front that reads: "I am wealthy".

Just a thought.

They were going to but they realised the production costs doubled due to a printing error that would immediately produce a second hat straight after that told the owner what they could and couldn't like and their purchases would always be called into question on internet forums by people who thought their low standard were the benchmark.

Weird huh!

I think you'll do well with those 'low standards [arrow pointing down]' hats that your company makes, Can you do a 'I have lots of free time and my other life is a forum troll' one for Mazeltov? He'd love that.. Bless him.
    Last edited by Kron; 31st July 2011 at 09:04 PM.

If Melville had been a basenoter, the last words of "Bartleby the Scrivener" would read: "Ah Creed threads! Ah humanity!"
    Last edited by the_good_life; 31st July 2011 at 09:56 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Have they really been around that long? I thought it was B.S. marketing myself. Not meaning to insult that is just what I thought when I go to the review section, and certain Creeds say they were made in the 17, and 1800's. Maybe they really were?

I think I'll just buy six more bottles of M.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Have they really been around that long? I thought it was B.S. marketing myself. Not meaning to insult that is just what I thought when I go to the review section, and certain Creeds say they were made in the 17, and 1800's. Maybe they really were?
    As tailors they apparently go back to 1760, as a proper perfume house the early 1970s. All of their scents were created in the 70s or later, though many reference older styles (Royal Scottish Lavender: late Victorian, REL, Vintage Tabarome: 1920s).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Their fragrances feel kinda modern to my nose... i don't get any 1800's style on them.

Damned reformulations!

As the_good_life states, their perfumes have been created in the 70's or later. There's no Creed that dates from 18th or 19th? Guerlain has them, only a few, but they are. What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?
    Some friends of mine see that 1760 logo and just run away looking for a Diesel Stand or that cool armani ad.

Clap your hands if you believe in Creed!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st August 2011 at 04:04 AM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Their fragrances feel kinda modern to my nose... i don't get any 1800's style on them.

What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?

"You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time."--A. Lincoln

Their hubris literally drips from the spray mechanism.
    Last edited by kbe; 1st August 2011 at 02:20 AM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Creed's 250th anniversary. A successful fragrance house by any reasonable standards. Congratulations to Creed, and best wishes for the next 250 years. Hope the special commemorative fragrance proves to be one of their best yet. I'm tempted to buy it for its sheer collectibility, if nothing else. You know it would be a good investment.

Special thanks to Mr. Cairomerta for sharing the superior detective work.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 1st August 2011 at 02:21 AM.

I hope, for the health of the ones who buy it, they don't release it as a regular in a couple of years... that would be a bad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Care to enlighten those of us looking at a picture of a bottle (size and contents unknown) what this thread is actually about and where your information is coming from? I'm clearly missing something here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I wonder what type of fragrance it will be? If it is an aquatic, I'd have no interest. I suppose more information will be available as we move toward the end of the year. And, maybe a few of our AZB bretheren will have an advanced sniff. By the time this one is available, I will have already spent myself into a coma on flacons Feuille Verte.
    Thanks for indirectly answering my original question! I was wondering what this was about but clearly no-one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Its ridiculous to offer something only very few can enjoy. What is the message here? Creed only wants the select few to participate in celebration of their company? To me, offering such a product doesn't celebrate the majority of people that keep their company strong.
    This is quite an apt and searching question from a business point of view.

I think t_g_l makes a good point about high price / limited access / exclusivity etc. Basically this is aspirational marketing / positioning.

But just out of interest does Creed have a 'loyalty programme' for those who purchase a lot from their official outlets? I buy from a couple of official distributors of luxe and/or niche lines and apart from free samples and a sneek peek at new releases and so on (which any regular customer would expect) I have also been on the receiving end of gifts from the companies. Some are at the discretion of the managment of the outlet, some are from accrued 'points' but both - simply put, are customer loyalty rewards put in place and sanctioned by the house in question. A few examples - Guerlain 180 Ans, Lutens 30ml Travel Atomisers, L'Artisan Nomad Refill etc.

Given this is a significant anniversary what are you guys who spend more on Creed than I do (I did buy Aventus but that's the first Creed for a few years) expecting or entitled to? If I were you I would be asking myself this question. So simple, serious question - is there an official Creed VIP programme in place?

But just out of interest does Creed have a 'loyalty programme' for those who purchase a lot from their official outlets?........is there a Creed VIP programme in place?
    This is an excellent idea. There should be a loyalty programme but then again, mercy shouldn't be given to us peasants lol. jk. Seriously though, excellent idea.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Might be having a bit of selective memory problem here, but $1300 to split Maria Ozawa's underpants?? I'm IN!
    *** major wolf whistle ***

Man, I learn something new on Basenotes every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Can you do a 'I have lots of free time and my other life is a forum troll' one for Mazeltov? He'd love that.. Bless him.
    Dear Kron, so nice of you to care. Trust me, as a real professional with a real life not-related to perfume retail, I would become rather depressed if the pinnacle of my social life would be embodied in organizing Creed splits.

However, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

If its not out till November/December start saving now and you'll have enough ... maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I don't think extremely high end luxury items are affected by economic swings as much as other products.
    True. "Aspirational" spending goes down when those with more limited funds tighten the purse strings. The seriously wealthy seldom have to bother with the harsh reality...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Isn't this at the very heart of the niche versus designer fragrance arguments that go on around here? Seriously, stating that something is out of reach for one group as a ridiculous thing is just as frequently pointed out when folks place some praise on a designer fragrance but the similar (in note, smell or artistic direction) and more expensive niche take is praised to new levels... because it's "more exclusive".

I'm not arguing nor putting up that you're "wrong"... just amazes me how further up the latter the exclusivity goes, the people that are more than likely left behind will say it's not a fair thing to limit whom can enjoy their offerings.

The majority doesn't support Creed. They started off as tailors to royalty. Limiting this to release to those type of folks is more aligned with their heritage than dropping their prices.

Not that I agree with it, I can see it that way.
    Up to a point I agree with you but there's also truth to the argument that overall Creed's quality standards seem to have been lowered. In light of this artificial price hikes or uber-exclusive releases like this seem jarring. It's unclear wether they want to be this super-exclusive luxury brand or rather open up to a broader audience instead. Right now, it all comes off as half-baked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Up to a point I agree with you but there's also truth to the argument that overall Creed's quality standards seem to have been lowered. In light of this artificial price hikes or uber-exclusive releases like this seem jarring. It's unclear wether they want to be this super-exclusive luxury brand or rather open up to a broader audience instead. Right now, it all comes off as half-baked.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Too funny Kron, but spot on!

Martin

I have realized this is now the best course of action:

-

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have realized this is now the best course of action:

Brilliant, almost as brilliant as Kron's stellar acronym, but not as much a work of genius as Martin's "me too" response. That required a lot of individual thinking.

Coming from guys who complain excessively and incessantly about trolling whenever anything Creed is being questioned... no further comment. Out of this thread.

Creed threads make baby jesus cry.

I like some of their stuff though.

When Olivier got started on the perfume idea, there was a major retro wave in perfumery - classical bases, vintage styling. Think Eau Sauvage, which is Farina Cologne (18th century) plus Hedione or the fascination with classic 1920s scents. That retro-orientation, with a focus on masculins was Creed's unique selling proposition. I agree the retro-monarchical etc image no longer squared with what came after GIT (save BdP, Neroli Sauvage and Royal Delight) - but it evidently worked and still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post

Damned reformulations!

As the_good_life states, their perfumes have been created in the 70's or later. There's no Creed that dates from 18th or 19th? Guerlain has them, only a few, but they are. What's the point in trying to create an image that make them look like a too classic , even oldish, brand if they make decent modern frags?
    Some friends of mine see that 1760 logo and just run away looking for a Diesel Stand or that cool armani ad.
    My Wardrobe

Amazing how this thread is dominated with Creed bashing. Why can't it just be about a new fragrance release?

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Amazing how this thread is dominated with Creed bashing. Why can't it just be about a new fragrance release?
    Idealism and reality do not coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I think the reason for this is that we have (a) a picture of a bottle, (b) a price and (c) the fact that it is an exclusive release to celebrate an anniversary. Without any information about the fragrance itself it's not surprising the pricing takes centre stage along with speculation about how something at this price point fits into the overall scheme of things with the house.

I think the pic of the bottle was posted in good faith but usually online sneak peeks are accompanied with a blurb about the fragrance itself hence we are left with a bit of a vacuum and it's only natural for a lot of (hot) air to rush in and fill the void - you know, chemistry or biology or whatever it was

Blog Entries

I think the reason for this is that we have (a) a picture of a bottle, (b) a price and (c) the fact that it is an exclusive release to celebrate an anniversary. Without any information about the fragrance itself it's not surprising the pricing takes centre stage along with speculation about how something at this price point fits into the overall scheme of things with the house.

I think the pic of the bottle was posted in good faith but usually online sneak peeks are accompanied with a blurb about the fragrance itself hence we are left with a bit of a vacuum and it's only natural for a lot of (hot) air to rush in and fill the void - you know, chemistry or biology or whatever it was

I think this whole thread comes down to two things:

1 - those who can afford CREED's 250th Anniversary fragrance

and

2 - those who can't.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Maybe so. There are plenty of axe-grinding pseudo historians on basenotes who claim they were only tailors that far back, and not perfumers until the 1970s, but this has never been historically documented beyond Creed's claims and warrants for tailoring. Is it possible that they made scents that far back? Yes. Does anyone outside of the Creed company know for certain? No.

Quote Originally Posted by fumegator View Post

and

2 - those who can't.

Thank you.

As for the ridiculousness of the price - $1,300 - I find it interesting how many basenoters claim to live and breath perfume, but get pissy over the price of Creeds. I don't recall this much indignation over Guerlain's far more expensive crystal bee. I'll never buy this because I can't afford it, but I would give it a chance. It's not very likely, but you never know - it might be worth every penny.

and

2 - those who can't.
    I can not afford it, but I'd still like to discuss it if that's ok with you?
    Last edited by MikeNY; 2nd August 2011 at 04:09 AM.

and

2 - those who can't.
    Oh wow, you just went there.